Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

I love fennel. And, I've been thinking of planting some.

Has anyone planted any? Is it easy?

I have done some reading on them, just wondering if anyone has had the experience of planting them.

I have done some reading on them, just wondering if anyone has had the experience of planting them.

Extremely easy from seed. Spread one packet on potting mixture that’s in a disposable pan with holes poked in the bottom for drainage. Cover with thin layer of potting mix. 1/4 inch maybe. The bigger the seed, the more it needs for cover. The seeds will come up with thin, wispy leaves. Easy to transplant when the second set of leaves comes in. Just hold by a leaf, not the stem. Loosen from its neighbors with fork. Lift it, make sure just one plant, then replant into small pots or into well worked, soft ground. I had so many from one packet I didn’t know what to do with all of them. Garden was covered with them. Had them in flowers beds, spilling over into grassy areas. Back yard front yard.

Gah, I’m so annoyed with myself. Making my way down the garden path this morning, it occurred to me the tomato plants are edging into ‘Day of the Triffids’ territory. So I started snipping back odd branches and leaves. Unfortunately I was a little too enthusiastic with the trimming and snipped off a branch that was full of tomatoes. Rats. :mad:

we had a short but furious storm blow through here the other day and turned over several of my tomato plants in containers. One of the tomatoes broke off, about size of tennis ball. My little dog had a delight discovering and playing with his new ball.

I just had to google fennel. I think I've seen it in grocery stores but never had it.

I'm annoyed with myself too because the bugs have totally decimated our zucchinis! We finally got some Dawn soap and a sprayer but it's too late for those.

we had a short but furious storm blow through here the other day and turned over several of my tomato plants in containers. One of the tomatoes broke off, about size of tennis ball. My little dog had a delight discovering and playing with his new ball.
Years ago, we had Dobermans. Every time we let them near the garden, the male would snag a cantaloupe or something, and play with it. Then once he figured out it was edible, he smashed it. LOL! He was the dumbest dang dog I ever had in my life. But lordy was he funny!

Years ago, we had Dobermans. Every time we let them near the garden, the male would snag a cantaloupe or something, and play with it. Then once he figured out it was edible, he smashed it. LOL! He was the dumbest dang dog I ever had in my life. But lordy was he funny!
We had a dog that would go pick her own tomato. Would bring it back and delicately eat it on the porch. Years later someone told me tomatoes were poisonous to dogs. But she lived to be 16 so I doubted it

I made a compost bin this evening out of rubber maid storage container. Cut out the center of the lid, duct taped wire to inside of the lid. Drilled a zillion holes in bottom and sides of container. Ta-Da! Actually quite pleased with myself, but we'll see if I can keep it maintained without smelling bad. Put a thin layer of mulch in bottom and then layered what I hope is a good start of browns and greens. Put a little wire garden fence around it to try to keep doggie away and shaved Irish Spring soap hoping to deter critters.

thumbnail

Attachments

• compost bin.jpg
    compost bin.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 27
Do any of you master gardeners on here have any walking onions? I had beds of 4 different kinds and DH went a little crazy with weed killer last fall so I am wanting to replace them this fall. I got most of them from Seed Savers exchanges but no one seems to be offering them yet. I thought I would ask. I did find them on Southern Exposure, Etsy, Ebay and Amazon so will be able to replace them with no problem.

I made a compost bin this evening out of rubber maid storage container. Cut out the center of the lid, duct taped wire to inside of the lid. Drilled a zillion holes in bottom and sides of container. Ta-Da! Actually quite pleased with myself, but we'll see if I can keep it maintained without smelling bad. Put a thin layer of mulch in bottom and then layered what I hope is a good start of browns and greens. Put a little wire garden fence around it to try to keep doggie away and shaved Irish Spring soap hoping to deter critters.

thumbnail
Looks good...but why the screen on top? To help it breath?

I've been watching closely my melon plant. Hadn't really noticed it doing anything, as far as growing much longer with it's vines trailing.

Then yesterday as I was inspecting my crops, I saw it!! One lone melon just dangling there on the vine! It's very green, and round...about the size of a softball. I'll be watching and waiting....

Tomatoes are turning red, squash blossoms, no squash...blossoms on my guta, no guta. I'm a very patient woman lol

thumbnail

If it smells, it’s not “cooking” correctly. Remember to turn it to speed the process.

I have a beautiful garden. Green and lush. The tomato plants are all filled with green tomatoes. Hoping for some long, hot days. The zucchini plants have baby squash now. Herbs are doing well.

Peppers have a few small peppers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni