Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the really weird thing is that they are so sure it was hers, not some random thing that fell out of someones car/bike/pickup truck. What could that be? LE hasn't even confirmed there was a bike found but announced this with "somewhat" certainty right away.
Ever since I had a bad wreck while bike riding I always carry an ID (driver's license or military ID) and my health insurance card in one of my jersey pockets along with my cell phone, even if I'm in an area with spotty cell coverage. I know many of my cycling acquaintances who carry ID/insurance card and almost every one of them carries their cell phone regardless of whether they are road or mt. biking or where they are riding. I wonder if Suzanne did the same and the personal item could be her phone or ID. Other possibilities are her helmet (although how many teal colored helmets are there?) or a handlebar mounted electronic device like a Garmin, Wahoo or Polar.

Another possibility is the case, as far as LE has approached it , had gone flat and the recent activity was part of a reboot of an investigation that wasn't turning up much. Meanwhile the public is being mushroomed (kept in dark and fed little) by LE and the families.
We don't know that their investigation was stalled or fell flat. It's very possible that LE is trying to connect a few dots.

Ever since I had a bad wreck while bike riding I always carry an ID (driver's license or military ID) and my health insurance card in one of my jersey pockets along with my cell phone, even if I'm in an area with spotty cell coverage. I know many of my cycling acquaintances who carry ID/insurance card and almost every one of them carries their cell phone regardless of whether they are road or mt. biking or where they are riding. I wonder if Suzanne did the same and the personal item could be her phone or ID. Other possibilities are her helmet (although how many teal colored helmets are there?) or a handlebar mounted electronic device like a Garmin, Wahoo or Polar.

Great rational thoughts...

& I mountain bike just about every day...

BUT....you're assuming she went on that ride & thus had those items on her person

IMO, I don't think she went on that bike ride......

Whoa .... thanks for uploading this article TxGidget .... h'mm, sounds like there is cause for alarm on the Colorado Trail at this point, contrary to this previous press release ..... granted it's a good distance away, but is indeed of interest to the case. MOO
"Many people have asked if it is safe to go hiking and biking in the area and investigators said there has been no specific information that should cause alarm to the community."

Perhaps RoadiD? www.roadid.com

I recently watched a Dateline episode on Michele Le. She was a nursing student who went missing, with her body eventually being found.

A couple of things struck me about Michele Le's case. First, after her vehicle was found, the police deemed it a homicide and would give no information to her concerned family or anyone else. It seems that they found blood evidence in her vehicle but didn't tell the family.

Maybe, that is what is happening in SM's case. Maybe, police discovered something to deem it a homicide case and are actively looking for the body and supporting evidence as to the murderer.

Second, because the police would give no information to the family, they continued to search for her. They didn't know where to begin and contacted Amber DuBois' mother who told them what they should do. They then contacted Marc Klaas, who was very helpful to them.

Marc Klaas was able to get some information from the police, like where they should be searching. They took all of the advice, set up a search center and formed search parties. After Amber DuBois' mother brought in a search dog, the body was eventually found.

If nobody in SM's family is responsible for her being missing, why aren't they doing the same thing? They have money to hire a PI (which is what Michele Le's family did without begging the public for money).

I'm very baffled as to why Suzanne's family isn't doing anything as far as we know. Michele's family also set up media interviews to keep Michele's picture and name in the public eye. They were very vocal. They wanted their loved one found.

They did all this because they were frustrated and had no idea of what the police were doing behind the scenes. It seems as if nobody cares about Suzanne. Surely, she was important to someone.
Yes!! I watched that Dateline too and couldn’t help but compare the way LE kept everything from the Le family to this case. LE knew right away Michele Le was most likely dead due to all the blood they found in her car. And it was shocking to me that they did not tell the family about the blood! So while LE are going through video and cell phone data trying to catch the suspected killer (who turned out to be the one person the family originally named immediately as the only person who might hold a grudge against her) the family is still thinking that finding the car parked and locked was a hopeful sign that she was still alive. Meanwhile the car was full of blood! I know LE has to keep things to themselves but that seems like going to far and very cruel. They gave the reason being they need to have information only LE and the perpetrator know. So for months on end the family is hoping, searching, speaking to media and holding vigils (like MOST family members do when a loved one is missing) and the whole time since day #1 LE knew there was enough blood in her car to indicate a sudden unsuspected violent attack upon Michele that most likely killed her very quickly. Very sad story. Her family was amazing. They would not give up.

The other interesting thing about the ML case was how LE obtained so much video and cell phone evidence and how that was what solved the case. This episode of Dateline also emphasized just how much of our everyday lives are recorded and what a large digital footprint we leave in our wake. What sealed the deal on arresting the girl who murdered Michele was cell phone pings. She was dumb (or rather probably mentally ill/delusional) enough to keep ML’s cell phone and USE IT to text people as Michele. And both cell phones pinged the exact same towers at the same exact time en route to disposing of her body so they were able to triangulate a search area from that. But LE did not find her body. Polly Klaas’s dad, Marc Klaas, has created Klaas’s Kids to help families find missing loved ones by showing them how and where to search and help organize search parties. I was very impressed by him and what he has done by turning his own nightmare into a way to help other victims families. I wonder if LE could or would stop an organization like that from searching for Suzanne? Maybe BM and Suzanne’s family should contact them? Well...I should say whoever wants her FOUND should call Marc Klaas! ML’s family also hired a PI and the PI is the one who got the information about the cell phone pings from LE so they knew where to search. So actually hiring your own PI can be very helpful. BM said he did but according to the PI that LS interviewed that may not be true (in his opinion). Michele Lee was eventually located by a K9 and I don’t think searchers would have found her otherwise. You could not tell from the ground that it had been disturbed except for a tiny bit of twine that was sticking out. It was like a needle in a haystack but the dog went right to it once they were searching in the right location. Very sad but interesting case as far as how murders are investigated and solved.

IMO, this case will end up playing out a bit like Gannon's, maybe J.Dulos.....

There is something key that we won't know unless/until this goes to trial that has taken abductor or wildlife attack off the radar within mere hours....

They are looking at their home & where BM worked

There is ZERO alerts to the community as to the possibility of dangerous people or animals (I'll take the latter frankly if had to choose)...

I cannot wait for this to be prosecuted....foremost: justice for Suzanne

& I'll selfishly admit: what the heck did they find that led them to KNOW....????

JMO

This is just one property. Unless I'm mistaken, it's a case by case filing.
It states that there are no liens on the property.
I also don't think the 300K represents the value of the property today. I could be completely wrong.

You're correct about the lien issue. However, Indiana Code § 29-3-9-5(a) mandates a "complete inventory of the property subject to the guardian's control." A separate inventory doesn't need to be filed for each parcel of real property or bank account, from my understanding.

If so, how did said drifter manage to obliterate SM's scent that would allow search dogs to pick up a beginning trail or alert on the place where she was attacked? Where are the drag marks, evidence of a struggle or attack, blood, scent, anything?

IMO

I've wondered if something like that happened on their property maybe as she was leaving for the bike ride or perhaps inside the house. If a drifter worked for BM or nearby for a period of time, he may have become obsessed with her and learned her habits.

Off Topic: my hubby has an ID tag that attaches to his shoe laces from a company called RoadID. You might want to take a peek to see if it meets your needs.

You're correct about the lien issue. However, Indiana Code § 29-3-9-5(a) mandates a "complete inventory of the property subject to the guardian's control." A separate inventory doesn't need to be filed for each parcel of real property or bank account, from my understanding.
They, together, own more properties. That filing does not include bank accts or other assets.
To my knowledge, granted I'm in NY, probate court grants all discretion to the guardian yet have to file separately on each parcel.
ETA: Unless, in the case of a deceased spouse, which hasn't been confirmed.

Last edited:
I was most frustrated with Lauren stating that she’s trying to get interviews with Barry and/or the daughters but not getting a response. Why won’t they speak? I feel for Lauren because most of her questions to LE are met with “it’s part of the investigation”
Meaning they can’t say. She did tell everyone that LE said to have patience or something like that. I believe the truth will come out soon.

My theory: Barry and the Morphew daughters won't speak because anything they say -- and their demeanor while saying it -- will be dissected & disbelieved by the public at large. The majority of comments I've read on WS and FB don't focus on the actual meaning of Barry's words during the 26-second video but instead examine his demeanor or a turn of phrase. It's pretty clear that the public is in no way presuming Barry innocent until he's proven guilty: more interviews would simply be like throwing meat to a pack of wolves.

Whoa .... thanks for uploading this article TxGidget .... h'mm, sounds like there is cause for alarm on the Colorado Trail at this point, contrary to this previous press release ..... granted it's a good distance away, but is indeed of interest to the case. MOO
"Many people have asked if it is safe to go hiking and biking in the area and investigators said there has been no specific information that should cause alarm to the community."

Do you realize that the exact same Colorado Trail was where SM rode almost daily? Where she was coming from or going to when separated from her bike? Hint: It's 567 miles long. IMO
CTF Home Page - Colorado Trail Foundation

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> ... Until I see some actual evidence showing a nexus between Barry Morphew & Suzanne's disappearance, I'll keep pointing out my skepticism, just as I'm sure many more people will keep explaining their theories about how Barry is involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off Topic: my hubby has an ID tag that attaches to his shoe laces from a company called RoadID. You might want to take a peek to see if it meets your needs.
I've seen those. They also come in wrist tag as well which I would probably have to use since my shoes don't have laces. I've thought about it, but just haven't done it. I wonder if Suzanne had one now that you mention it.

But why would one plot owned jointly be included in the inventory but not the others? As for bank accounts and other assets, it lists the categories (stocks, bonds) but states that their value is $0.
The other properties are not addressed, as you know. And no, other assets are not addressed in that one filing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks