Found Deceased WA - Sage Evan Adams, 10, kayaking Skagit River, 07 Jul 2020

Penny4YourThoughts

Reaction score
Sage Evan Adams went missing July 7, 2020 from Skagit County in Marblemount, Washington.
Sage is a 10 year old White/Caucasian Male. He is 4'0", 50lbs, brown hair and brown eyes.
Circumstances of Disappearance Sage was kayaking with his father on the Skagit River near the east boundary of the North Cascades National Park, when his father's kayak overturned and threw him into the water. When his father recovered, Sage was no longer in sight and he was unable to locate him. The following day both kayaks were located on the Skagit River above the Marblemount Bridge and over the course of the search both PDFs and paddles were located also above the Marblemount Bridge. The father's cell phone was located just below the Marblemount Bridge.
Any information please contact Skagit County Sheriff's Office
(360) 416-1911
Source https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/71748/contacts?nav

Search suspended for 10-year-old boy missing in the Cascade wilderness
safe_image.php

MARBLEMOUNT, Wash. -- A week-long search for a 10-year-old boy missing in the Cascade wilderness has been suspended, the Skagit County Sheriff's office sadly announced Tuesday.

Sage Adams had been camping and kayaking with his father in the North Cascades National Park last week, Undersheriff Chad Clark said. On Tuesday, as they were kayaking in the Skagit River, the father got dumped out of his kayak in the rapids while the boy continued down the river.

The father managed to swim back to shore and began searching for his son, but couldn't find him. The dad then hiked all Tuesday night and Wednesday morning to find help.

Numerous search and rescue agencies have spent a combined 2,000 hours over several days combing the Skagit River and surrounding area in hovercrafts, rafts and boats looking for Sage with no luck. Clark says the sheriff's office will keep boats in the upper portions of the river through the summer and will respond to any sightings or follow up information on Sage.

I really feel bad for this kid and his family, but this one really bothers me. So many factors don't add up.

First, they put their kyaks in up river with no appearant recovery plan. There was no vehicle or person waiting to take their kyaks back to the campground. No one called to report them overdue or missing until the father eventually hiked out, flagged a car for a ride, took it back up to Goodell campground and drove back to marblemount to call 911.

Second dad, both kyaks, both paddles, and both floatation devices were found up river of the bridge. But his cell phone managed to end up downriver? Seems more logical he tossed it from the bridge or bank himself then when he tipped his kyak.

Third, how the heck does it take you that long to get out and back to civilization. When you do why is your first thought to get your car not call 911. Any motorist stopping to let you hitch a ride in this scenario would have taken you direct to marblemount or newhalem.

Those are just a few of the issues... there are others too. The family has pretty ardently shut down any conversation or discussion about any possible alternative scenarios.

IMO give him the benefit of the doubt. Not every initial reported detail of something like this will turn out to be true, and there are likely explanations for things, but he and his family don't owe them to the public during their time of great trauma.

Wow. I don’t know what to think. I have never kayaked in my life so I don’t know what is normal and procedure and what is not.

It does sound like Sage got dumped into the water also as his kayak was found By the river. This is sad. I hope they get answers. IMO

IMO give him the benefit of the doubt. Not every initial reported detail of something like this will turn out to be true, and there are likely explanations for things, but he and his family don't owe them to the public during their time of great trauma.
I agree! Prayers for this family.

Sad story. I have no idea if this was a tragic accident or something nefarious.

Without knowing many details, there are things about this story that do seem kind of odd. Others have already mentioned many of these things:

He didn't call 911 immediately?

He hiked until dark, all night, and some more the next morning to find help? How remote was this place?

I guess neither of them were wearing their life vests? I guess it is possible for them to come off if they are unzipped, or worn too loose from not being adjusted properly. But it kind of seems unlikely that both of them came off. More likely that they weren't being worn. I wonder if they owned the kayaks, or if they were rentals. I think most (if not all) rental places make you take a life vest. If they owned the kayaks, it seems odd that they would bring life vests and then not wear them.

Also, again I don't know many details, but I've been canoeing and kayaking numerous times. I've never been on serious rapids, but his story does raise an eyebrow. When you capsize, you're generally going to surface within a couple of seconds. All the while moving downstream with the current......but his son was just gone? Were the rapids that rough? Most people would recover their kayak as they were both floating downstream at about the same pace, but if he couldn't catch his kayak, was he so worried about saving his own life that he forgot all about his son? He didn't even catch a glimpse and see if his son was still floating, or if he had capsized as well?

If I'm reading it correctly, his cellphone made it further downstream than the kayaks, paddles, and life vests? All things that float.... I'm no expert, but I think a phone would sink and stay wherever it went into the water. It is hard to say without knowing the speed of the current, and if the bottom of the river was sand or rocks. Maybe he had a rubber case on the phone that made it more buoyant? I'm surprised they even found the phone. If LE is at all suspicious, they could do experiments to see if his phone would just sink, or if it tends to travel downstream with the current. I guess something must have eventually made it stop wherever it was found. I wonder how far it alledgedly traveled, and how long it was in the water.

Anyway. With all that being said, and if the unthinkable is true, I'm having trouble thinking of any way that it could be proven in a court of law.

It sounds weird to say this, but I hope this is just a tragic accident.

RIP

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288