Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

I have not heard back from the ME, however rereading that msm article which mentioned the prescription also indicates our guy was believed to be in his 30's. That would make Berwyn RS about 10 years too young.

If anyone wants to look at yearbooks for Morton West High School again, we should probably begin with class of 1964.

If our guy was closer to 30 in 1977, he would have had a birth year in the late 1940's.

Additionally, the ME made a good point in her last email to me. It would have been difficult for our guy to have ridden a bicycle with a bag of clothes. So, she wondered if perhaps he went somewhere between the time he stole the vehicle and the time he crashed the vehicle.

Gacy I know. Bu I don't remember hearing about the LE push, so maybe his family didn't either?

I remember reading about this, most notably to me was one family who contacted the investigators about their missing family member and it turned out he wasn't a match to any of the remaining Gacy victims, but he was found--alive. I believe they got a pretty big response from families with young men who went missing from around the time Gacy was active. I can't remember if any of the inquiries resulted in any of the victims being ID'd, though.

Is there a tutorial on how to interpret the spreadsheet results? :confused:
I'm sure someone here can explain, I'm a bit clueless too, except # of matches, and cM of top match, which is how closely related they are.
My top match is around 150 cM which is my half-brother - it shows as "half brother, uncle or nephew"
Delafield's closest match is at 62.9. I have a similar match who should be one of these:
Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 18.04.08.png

Is there a tutorial on how to interpret the spreadsheet results? :confused:
Well, it looks like most of his matches are relatively distant at the moment. I have a match about the level that he does (68 cm) and it's my grandmother's second cousin. So this person may know that he exists but I wouldn't count on it. The # of matches is the total number of matches that show up in his GEDMatch profile, which I think shows all matches above ten cM, which are relatives so distant you likely don't know you're related.

Well, it looks like most of his matches are relatively distant at the moment. I have a match about the level that he does (68 cm) and it's my grandmother's second cousin. So this person may know that he exists but I wouldn't count on it. The # of matches is the total number of matches that show up in his GEDMatch profile, which I think shows all matches above ten cM, which are relatives so distant you likely don't know you're related.

Here's hoping some family member remembers him. If that percentage is akin to someone being approximately my grandmother's second cousin, then I'd have no clue myself. I would have an idea of someone I could reach out to who may know or could find out, but that's about all. That far back, I have a missing gr gr gr grandfather, who, when his wife died, took off with his youngest son when he was 2, and was never seen again.

I'm sure someone here can explain, I'm a bit clueless too, except # of matches, and cM of top match, which is how closely related they are.
My top match is around 150 cM which is my half-brother - it shows as "half brother, uncle or nephew"
Delafield's closest match is at 62.9. I have a similar match who should be one of these:
View attachment 256673

Are you missing a zero in how many cM you share with your half brother? It should be between 1317 and 2312 cM.
I share 3470 cM with my biological father, parent/child cM are between 3330 and 3720, you can't get higher except for identical twins I think. My second cousin is 329 cM.

I have a match of 67 cM who is my third cousin once removed. She's my great great grandfather's sister's granddaughter, and she lives on the other side of the world. So 68 isn't a great match, they have a lot they need to work on to get his identity. But it could be worse, some does only have matches around 30 cM, very distant cousins.

Are you missing a zero in how many cM you share with your half brother? It should be between 1317 and 2312 cM.
I share 3470 cM with my biological father, parent/child cM are between 3330 and 3720, you can't get higher except for identical twins I think. My second cousin is 329 cM.

I have a match of 67 cM who is my third cousin once removed. She's my great great grandfather's sister's granddaughter, and she lives on the other side of the world. So 68 isn't a great match, they have a lot they need to work on to get his identity. But it could be worse, some does only have matches around 30 cM, very distant cousins.
bbm
Hmm, I thought DDP "top match" show largest segment, not total?

I thought it meant closest relative? I interpreted it as the larger the number the closer the relative, lower numbers mean more distant relatives.
It does. But if their cM means total DNA shared his matches are likely more distant then if it means largest segment. See the difference in right column here:
Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 23.39.18.png

bbm
Hmm, I thought DDP "top match" show largest segment, not total?

I'm 99% sure it's total, not largest segment. The GEDmatch database is not nearly as big as 23andme/Ancestry, my closest matches on GEDmatch are only around 50 cM total. And then you have to factor in that they can only see matches that have opted in for LE matching, so it's not a surprise that the top matches are still really quite distant.

Ok, does that mean DDP only uses GEDMATCH? Or can they upload the results to the other two sites?

OT, but I met my third cousin who lives in my immediate area. I am going to see if he uploaded into GEDMATCH. Praying he did, or does. I think I am going to do my dna solely to enter and opt in.

By other two sites do you mean 23andme/Ancestry? Because the answer there would be no, they can't, because those sites do not accept raw DNA uploads. You need to send in a spit test to get on those sites, and Does, well, can't spit into tubes. Even if they did accept raw uploads, they're way too big to let LE use them that way, they'd totally get sued. With GEDmatch, you have to opt in for LE matching, so you give informed consent for LE/DDP to match Does to you.
There is one other site that I believe DDP uses, Family Tree DNA. It's a pretty small database, and DDP don't have an excel sheet on those matches. Unlike GEDmatch, I believe FTDNA is opt out, so people uploading to FTDNA are automatically opted in to LE/DDP matching unless they opt out... so it's possible there are more matches there. Which some people think is a little underhanded.

Here are a couple of tutorials I found quite informative. The second link has a pretty neat chart to help estimate relationships. Please chime in on whether these resources have reliable information. I'd hate to lead others to bad info. :oops:

Beginner's Guide to Shared Centimorgans

How to Use Shared DNA to Determine Relationships

shared_cm_DNA_chart.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member