UT UT - Washington Co, WhtFem 20-60, UP12137, buried near Gunlock Rd, May'70

Romulus

Inactive
Reaction score
NamUs UP 12137

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/12137

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Female)

Found October 1, 1970 in Washington County, UT
Body Condition: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Probable year of death: to 1970

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 20-60
Approximate Height: 62 estimate
Approximate Weight: 140 estimate
Hair Color:
A few strands of fine light blond or gray hair were present
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing: nothing
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories: nothing

Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is not available
DNA: Sample is currently not available

Case History:
The decedent's body was discovered by a county road crew as they were clearing a section of the roadside. The decedent had been buried 5 feet from the road and was uncovered by a bulldozer. The decedent could have been buried for months or even years. Richard Triplett with the Washington County Sheriff's Office is the case manager for this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is quite hard to find any possible matches. I focused on both Utah and Arizona missing as well because of the location of Washington County. I also think I should take a look at Idaho and California (because as a non-American I am matching up major interstate highways) and the same one that runs through Washington County is also in these states.

Here is what I found going on the “major highway” theory:

Lynn Marjorie Bandringa
Missing since May 29, 1967 from Hesperia, San Bernardino County, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1675dfca.html

A big long shot, but the car was found in Arizona so it had been driven around. Maybe on that major road?

Donnis Marie Redman
Missing since March 1, 1958 from San Pedro, Los Angeles County, California
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2409dfca.html

From crimewatchers site forum

images

Doe Network link case

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1411ufut.html

1411UFUT - Unidentified Female
No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Date of Discovery: October 1, 1970
Location of Discovery: Washington County, Utah
Estimated Date of Death: Months to years prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 20-60 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Blond or gray, based on strands found with remains.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The woman's remains were located five feet from the roadside in rural Washington County, Utah, about 20 miles away from St. George.

The skeleton had been buried and was uncovered by a bulldozer.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Washington County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Detective Richard Triplett
Agency Phone Number: 435-634-5730
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 1970-00765

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 12137

Information Source(s)
NamUs

No rule outs? Not even one? Omg! They have to get on this. It’s been almost 50 years.

I wonder if they have DNA. DNA Doe Project would do some good work for this.

I wish the age range and hair colour could be narrowed down. I wonder if they would consider exhuming her for DNA?

The body was buried and the gravesite has been lost. They would have to locate it first.

I turned this over to Namus this week- I believe that this Doe may be Valerie Lynn Wood. She was reported missing, but does not show up in any database. She was 18, believed to be a runaway. She was reportedly traveling from Phoenix to Springville Utah to see an aunt. Washington county, depending on the route taken by car, would have been smack in the middle of the two destinations. The aunt would have only been a few years older than she was, with very young children at the time. I spent hours trying to find any information about her after 1969- no luck. Her mother passed away a few years ago, and Valerie is not listed in the obituary, not as preceding in death or as surviving family. Her aunt looks to still be alive, but suffered tragedy after tragedy in her own large family (lots of young, accidental deaths- her husband, her sons). Wood either did runaway, and managed to stay away- or she was never treated as a missing person seriously. I do not think she was actually joined with a travelling companion. This article says she was blonde, the body was either blonde or had gray hair. At the time this body was being investigated, they only looked at one missing person for a match- and her body was found in 1995.

Springville Herald | 1969-11-06 | Girl Missing on Trip to Springville

I turned this over to Namus this week- I believe that this Doe may be Valerie Lynn Wood. She was reported missing, but does not show up in any database. She was 18, believed to be a runaway. She was reportedly traveling from Phoenix to Springville Utah to see an aunt. Washington county, depending on the route taken by car, would have been smack in the middle of the two destinations. The aunt would have only been a few years older than she was, with very young children at the time. I spent hours trying to find any information about her after 1969- no luck. Her mother passed away a few years ago, and Valerie is not listed in the obituary, not as preceding in death or as surviving family. Her aunt looks to still be alive, but suffered tragedy after tragedy in her own large family (lots of young, accidental deaths- her husband, her sons). Wood either did runaway, and managed to stay away- or she was never treated as a missing person seriously. I do not think she was actually joined with a travelling companion. This article says she was blonde, the body was either blonde or had gray hair. At the time this body was being investigated, they only looked at one missing person for a match- and her body was found in 1995.

Springville Herald | 1969-11-06 | Girl Missing on Trip to Springville
Great find! I’m glad you submitted Valerie’s information! Her name seems very familiar, although she’s not on any of the MP/UID sites. o_O

This case is going to be difficult. DNA sounds like the only way to get an answer but they lost the remains???

This case is going to be difficult. DNA sounds like the only way to get an answer but they lost the remains???
I read that they were buried, and they don't know the gravesite. It's possible they kept something else from the crime scene, there are so few details. I think the first thing is that they would have to find out if Valerie is still considered a missing person.

2 Oct 1970, The Desert News, pg 24
1680655111847.png

3 Oct 1970, The Salt Lake City Tribune, pg 25
1680655144225.png

4 Oct 1970, The Daily Herald, pg 29
1680655174460.png

8 Oct 1970, Southern Utah Free Press, pg 1
1680655319336.png

15 October 1970, Southern Utah Free Press, pg 1
1680655386869.png

Attachments

• 1680655343402.png
    1680655343402.png
    349.3 KB · Views: 0
Per Doe Network:

"The Washington County Sheriff's Office had an order to exhume the decedent's body in 2020 in order to collect DNA. The grave sight had nothing in it and no one could explain why with the amount of time that had passed."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back