Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
For millions of America’s renters, there’s a cliff approaching. Enhanced unemployment benefits of $600 a week that have kept many afloat will expire soon.

And this week, a federal moratorium that had protected an estimated 12 million renters from eviction for four months is expiring.

A federal eviction moratorium is ending. Here's what renters should know.

Of the 110 million Americans living in rental households, 20 percent are at risk of eviction by Sept. 30, according to an analysis.

A coronavirus cluster in New Jersey has been traced to a high school house party, and the teens and their parents are refusing to cooperate with contact tracers, officials say

INSIDER July 24, 2020
21e7702a6dc89976bac8383e411c4fb8

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy speaks about a new cluster of coronavirus cases, traced to a high school house party, at a press conference on Thursday.
  • Twenty teens between the ages of 15 and 19 have tested positive for the coronavirus in Middletown, New Jersey.
  • Health officials say the cluster traces back to a house party that was held on July 11.
  • State officials say the teens and some of their parents are refusing to cooperate with contract tracers, with some kids worried they would get in trouble for underage drinking.

United Kingdom Coronavirus: 297,914 Cases and 45,677 Deaths - Worldometer

It has not been possible to easily report the daily UK deaths so I have taken these from worldometers to add on to my previous weekly figures and percentage increases

W/e deaths % increase
17thJul 585 1.3%
24thJul 444 0.98

Current total 45,677.

Weekly total has been falling since the peak on 1st May and has been below normal levels since 30th June.

A coronavirus cluster in New Jersey has been traced to a high school house party, and the teens and their parents are refusing to cooperate with contact tracers, officials say

INSIDER July 24, 2020
21e7702a6dc89976bac8383e411c4fb8

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy speaks about a new cluster of coronavirus cases, traced to a high school house party, at a press conference on Thursday.
  • Twenty teens between the ages of 15 and 19 have tested positive for the coronavirus in Middletown, New Jersey.
  • Health officials say the cluster traces back to a house party that was held on July 11.
  • State officials say the teens and some of their parents are refusing to cooperate with contract tracers, with some kids worried they would get in trouble for underage drinking.
They should be fined for withholding that information. Where did these parents think their kids were? Out riding their bikes in the neighborhood?

Woman who attended FIVE funerals tests positive to coronavirus — Daily Mail

“Mourners are warned to look for COVID-19 symptoms after a woman in her 40s attended five funeral and church services before testing positive to the virus.

She attended four different religious venues across Sydney's south-western suburbs between July 16 and July 19.

The woman was at St Brendan's Catholic Church in Bankstown for one hour from 6.30pm on Thursday July 16

She then spent seven hours at Ausia Funeral Services in Fairfield East on Friday July 17, between 1pm and 8pm.

The day later she attended a funeral service at St Brendan's Catholic Church at 10am for one hour before going to a burial service at St John of God Lawn at Rookwood between 11.30 and 1pm.

The woman was then at Our Lady of Mt Carmel at Mt Pritchard for one hour from 7.30am on Sunday July 19.”
————————
SEVEN hours at a funeral service?

Is she a professional funeral attendee?

That’s just crazy. MOO

I know a couple of sketchy folks that would check the news paper and then go out to attend funerals for the free buffet. Probably more common than we realize.

Also from that link
Does it really neeeeed to be said at this point.
:confused::confused::confused:
The Republican governor also urged people to space out at Massachusetts beaches, which have become increasingly crowded despite guidelines instructing people to remain several feet apart.

“If people can’t space out, then we’ll have to limit the number of people who can be there,” Baker said Friday. “That’s not something we want to do.

Massachusetts Gov. Baker imposes travel order for certain out-of-state visitors

more at link
Starting Aug. 1, out-of-state visitors from certain states and Massachusetts residents returning from those states will have to quarantine for 14 days or risk $500 fine each day under a new order issued by Gov. Charlie Baker.

Baker announced Friday an order restricting travelers from states with higher COVID-19 rates, requiring them to fill out a “Massachusetts Travel Form” and quarantine for 14 days. The orders are meant to reduce the risk of a resurgence of the coronavirus in Massachusetts.

In Rural Texas, Skeptics Prevail Even With Virus Mounting — Bloomberg

“Sherri Beardan, 42, whose beauty salon was closed in April for more than four weeks, wears a mask as required while conducting business, but she’s not concerned about health risks. She doesn’t believe the rising virus numbers are accurate.

“I think it’s a whole government crock of B.S.,” she said. “They want to get rid of the president. They want him to look as bad as possible.”

The case count in the county is still low and few people know anyone who’s contracted the virus, making it seem like a far-removed, big-city problem.”
———-
Until it comes to your house.....

:(

More :confused:stuff in Massachusetts
Are Coronavirus Cases in Young People Rising in Massachusetts?
More at link
Gov. Charlie Baker said Wednesday that the state is currently doing a "deep dive" on all of its test results from the past few weeks, and hopes to have more to say on this subject this week. But he said the early data does seem to indicate that more young people are being diagnosed with COVID-19 here as well.

I can't believe that we have come to this. This is the saddest thing ever.

A Texas hospital is so overrun with coronavirus cases that officials say it will send the patients least likely to survive home to die

A Texas county said it was forming a committee to decide which coronavirus patients were most likely to die and send them home to their families.

Starr County Memorial Hospital is overrun with coronavirus cases, and hospitals elsewhere in Texas and in nearby states are also full, officials said.

The county's health authority said the "situation is desperate" and "there is nowhere to put these patients."

He said that for some patients "we believe they will be better taken care in the love of their own family and home rather than thousands of miles away dying alone."

Went to the dog park today, first time since March. I was prepared, mask, sanitizer. My dog is little and dog park is divided in half with a chain link fence, one side for big dogs, the other side for littles.
My plan was to let him roam on the littles side if no one else was in there. Lots of dogs and owners w/kids on the big side...I was in luck and we were the only ones there on our side, still kept my mask on though....and then I observed the other people across the fence and see why we will never kick this virus....

The owners of these dogs - no masks at all, there were families with little kids roaming around, one kid blowing bubbles on everyone else, adults def not 6 feet apart, let alone a foot apart, one older man was smoking and blowing smoke all around..all clustered in groups chatting...did they all know each other? nope, as I heard "it was nice meeting you" to someone that she had been showing photos on her phone to shoulder to shoulder...I was the ONLY person masked and staying far away from anyone....no wonder our numbers are getting worse!

How depressing:

July 23, 11:15 a.m. While many California officials have said the coronavirus pandemic could grip our state for another year, Santa Clara County Executive Officer Jeff Smith suggested in an interview with KPIX Wednesday night the timeline could be even longer.

Smith said because a vaccine has never been developed against the common cold or any other coronavirus, "there will never be a vaccine that will be effective."

Due to the lack of a vaccine, he said we will be "doing what is more equivalent to spot fire treatment and struggling for the next 10 years."

Watch the full interview on KPIX.

Updates: Bay Area official warns COVID-19 may be here for up to 10 years

I'm going to go with the epidemiologists on this one. We haven't developed a vaccine because there are so many different cold strains and it hasn't been that important.

We also have hundreds of flu strains and I would imagine a vaccine for the corona virus would be the same. People get it yearly, and it's created each year based on guesses about mutations. If it was worthless, why would all the nations be working so hard to get one?

But I also see a ton of progress on treatments for this.

Nope. I remain super hopeful about this.

I think we will get a handle on this.

It's unfortunate that many people have to get sick and die though, before many will take this seriously. We ALL need to take this seriously. If 95% of the nation agreed to wearing masks, socially distancing and there were strict workplace protections or the business gets closed down we probably wouldn't even need shutdowns.

Instead, we've had meat packing plants and factories refusing to divulge to workers or the public when there's been an outbreak, the CDC refusing to issue mandates about protections necessary at such plants and instead only offering "suggestions" and governments not only refusing to shut down those plants when they have had outbreaks but ordering they remain open.

We need to get that under control.

uh huh

More than 150 prominent US medical experts, scientists, teachers, nurses and others have signed a letter urging political leaders to shut down the country and start over to contain the surging coronavirus pandemic.

Shut down the country and start over to contain Covid-19 - CNN

When asked about this, Dr. Fauci said that he doesn't think it is necessary to shut down the country and start over. He said some areas might want to hit "pause" if they are surging, or go back to an earlier phase of their reopening, but if people would practice social distancing, wear face coverings, and wash their hands often, then that would be best while we wait for the vaccine.

Edited to add link to interview
Dr. Fauci: Don’t think it’s necessary to shut down the country amid coronavirus pandemic

Last edited:
One-third of COVID-19 patients who aren't hospitalized have long-term illness, CDC says

One patient whose symptoms have lingered for months called the report "monumental."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged Friday that a significant number of COVID-19 patients do not recover quickly, and instead experience ongoing symptoms, such as fatigue and cough.

As many as a third of patients who were never sick enough to be hospitalized are not back to their usual health up to three weeks after their diagnosis, the report found.

"COVID-19 can result in prolonged illness even among persons with milder outpatient illness, including young adults," the report's authors wrote...

Oh, shoot. Forgot to share actual information I got on Monday. The REALM Project is the COVID testing being done on museum and library materials by OCLC and others nationally. If you recall, the first round of testing on standard books and book covers led us to believe that 3 days quarantine of library materials was sufficient. It is not. Round 2 was just completed and glossy pages, children’s board books, and magazines retain the virus for 4 days. We are now quarantining everything fof that period.

(Board books are high gloss pages covering thick cardboard. They are basically glossy cardboard kids books.)

Thanks for the update. I picked up a book that I had ordered from our public library a few days ago and have left it in my car for a few days, based on the information you provided. The library was almost empty, just the library staff. They were behind plexiglass, wore masks and gloves, and just scanned my library card information from the app on my cell phone. No contact. And the book was on a shelf waiting for me that I had pre-requested. Good markings on the floor for social distancing. Doors in and out were one-way. This has always been a great library with excellent service, and was very impressed. In and out quickly. Didn't see another patron, and very few cars in the parking lot. I must have picked a good time.

20 pubs caught breaching Covid-19 guidelines in one week | The Irish Post

20 BARS across Ireland were caught in breach of the new coronavirus guidelines last week.

From Monday 13 July to Sunday 19 July, Gardaí found 20 licensed premises breaching the guidelines while undertaking checks on businesses as part of Operation Navigation.

The 20 new breaches make up part of the 59 breaches which have been observed by Gardaí since checks began on 3 July.

The most common breaches include licensed premises serving alcohol to customers without also serving them food, and customers and the businesses being unable to produce receipts proving the customer had eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe