Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a couple of hours with my hairdresser yesterday. She has two young children. In safe-ish South Australia - at the moment - her eldest (6 years old) has been asking "mummy, am I going to get sick and die?" "mummy, what is covid?" "mummy, what is a mask?"

She said that they have had to have some pretty deep adult-and-6-year-old conversations.

What a terrible position to be in that your 6 year old is talking about getting sick and death.This is heart-breaking and how do your answer. Parents of non adult children are in a very bad predicament.

I have a co-worker that has been seriously ill with the virus for 3 weeks. He is slowly recovering but his words to me 'this has been a scary ride'.. He is lucky in that his daughter that works in the virus portion of ICU. He was very lucky to have a personal contact with a person that deals with patients that have the Virus. My spouse's aunt died yesterday from the virus . This virus is for real.

Oh no Kensie.
So sorry for your loss.

I never liked pony tails until now. 100+ degrees, hair long and makes a nice pony tail. I guess better late than never!!! I am experimenting with different types of pony tails, high, low, to the side.

Ya, my dos getting groovy and long.
Today I switched it up and braided my high pony cause I had 2 hair ties.
Classy pony.

I never liked pony tails until now. 100+ degrees, hair long and makes a nice pony tail. I guess better late than never!!! I am experimenting with different types of pony tails, high, low, to the side.

Kensie I’m glad to see you pop back in the forum. I am mid 50’s and haven’t worn a pony tail since I was in college. It isn’t pretty but at least I’ve got it pulled back.

I know we are weary. We are all so weary.

Oh no Kensie.
So sorry for your loss.

Thank you. My husband's aunt and her husband reminded me of my parents. Married way too young but were truly in love. My spouse's uncle never left his wife's side. The aunt had several very serious health battles and her husband never left her side (just like my dad and mom). It is really strange that my husband's aunt lived next door to my parents for 35 years.
My husband's aunt was a wonderful person that never worried about herself just like my dad. This is hard for me because it reminds me so much of my parents. It is so rare to see such devoting long term love. It is so refreshing to see that true love really does exists. I will always treasure my husband's aunt, she truly loved and worshipped her family and she reminds me of my dad.

Last edited:
Ya, my dos getting groovy and long.
Today I switched it up and braided my high pony cause I had 2 hair ties.
Classy pony.

Crazy, even though I am terrified of being around people, I am thinking of going to a hair place and getting a french braid.!!! HA!! I have always loved french braids but could never do one.

Kensie I’m glad to see you pop back in the forum. I am mid 50’s and haven’t worn a pony tail since I was in college. It isn’t pretty but at least I’ve got it pulled back.

I know we are weary. We are all so weary.

thanks MrsArk, I have been in a bad depression for various reasons but I am feeling better now, not sure why, but glad to be feeling better. My darn broken ankle is finally healing and that has helped.

I am certainly no saint but I do think I was raised to care about my neighbor. It saddens me to see so many many people just not care about the old; the vulnerable; not able to sacrifice for the greater good of all. What happened to those values? Have we become so self serving, so self centered that we can’t stay home from the beach and the bars (etc) for a season or two to keep the our aunts, uncles, and grandparents safe? Not even just the them..but to just do the right thing! What has happened to us as a civilized society? So much suffering because of so much selfishness.

It is disgraceful and depressing.

Record number of COVID-19 cases reported to the World Health Organisation in the past 24 hours

Record number of COVID-19 cases reported to the World Health Organisation in the past 24 hours

Sarah Al-Arshani

5 hrs ago
A record number of coronavirus cases were reported to the Worth Health Organisation over the past 24 hours, according to a new situation report. There were 284,196 new infections reported.

More than 69,600 new cases were recorded in the US. Brazil recorded 67,860 cases, France24 reported.

India reported 49,000 cases in the past 24 hours, Al Jazeera reported.

CNN reported that the previous world record of daily cases was set on Saturday.

WHO also recorded 9,753 additional coronavirus-related deaths on Friday.

According to data from John Hopkins University, more than 15.6 million coronavirus cases have been recorded worldwide so far, with over 636,700 deaths.
The US leads the world in the number of infections and deaths. More than 4 million COVID-19 cases have been recorded in the US, with over 145,000 deaths.

I am so grateful that I don’t have school aged kids and don’t have to make the decisions that my adult kids are now having to make for my grandkids. I’m keeping my mouth firmly closed with them as I have no words of wisdom to offer on this school or no school matter. I do have an opinion though which I’ll share with you,,,but not them. It’s that I would never have been able to send my kids off....not yet...not until it was proven out to be safe. I simply would not ever have been able to forgive myself if something happened to them.

What a sad sad world we are now living in. (I guess I’m feeling a bit down tonight). It just feels like we are all getting divided up into little boxes,,,us older people isolated and lonely, middle agers having to work despite fear, or out of work with bills looming, smaller kids unable to enjoy a normal summer and just be kids with their friends, teens and young adults demonstrating or partying in large groups not wanting to give up their freedom. Somehow, we just have to get through this. We just HAVE to.

Update on my in-laws with COVID:

All had a mild case. None were hospitalized including the aunt-in-law? who is on the transplant list and has an autoimmune disorder.

My FIL was prescribed Augmentin (antibiotic) to prevent pneumonia, and an inhaler to use every few hours. He had had recurring fever (back and forth) but it’s been better for several hours now.

He’s exhausted and sleeping a lot. His oxygen levels are pretty good but have gone below normal.

This is considered a mild case.

Again, he eats tons of immune system boosting things. He snacks on red cabbage. Raw. He eats a ton of garlic. Up to four celery stalks a day. An apple and a banana every day. He takes 2000 milligrams of Vitamin C a day and various other supplements and has for years.

The whole family are into health.

ETA:
Beta carotene, Vitamin D, zinc (other supplements he takes religiously).

59 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in NH; 2 more deaths reported

Health officials say 11 cases linked to new outbreak
Jul 24, 2020

“New Hampshire health officials reported 59 new cases of COVID-19 Friday, saying 11 were connected to an outbreak at a long-term care facility.”

[...]

“There have been 6,375 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Hampshire during the course of the pandemic, while 575 cases remain active.“

School has not even opened, this virus is going to get very ugly! Here are a few examples.
This narrative that kids do well, may not be correct. They haven't been in school in 5 months!
Moo
69 children hospitalized:
Valley Children's Hospital warns of dangerous COVID-19 complications in kids
29 children hospitalized:
Dallas County reports 29 children hospitalized for COVID-19; CDC releases new info on opening schools
13 inpatients:
Orange County California
Children's Hospital of OC reports increase in COVID-19 cases, mostly among school-aged children

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta as of July 17th, 12
Children's Hospital of OC reports increase in COVID-19 cases, mostly among school-aged children

Last edited:
Update on my in-laws with COVID:

All had a mild case. None were hospitalized including the aunt-in-law? who is on the transplant list and has an autoimmune disorder.

My FIL was prescribed Augmentin (antibiotic) to prevent pneumonia, and an inhaler to use every few hours. He had had recurring fever (back and forth) but it’s been better for several hours now.

He’s exhausted and sleeping a lot. His oxygen levels are pretty good but have gone below normal.

This is considered a mild case.

Again, he eats tons of immune system boosting things. He snacks on red cabbage. Raw. He eats a ton of garlic. Up to four celery stalks a day. An apple and a banana every day. He takes 2000 milligrams of Vitamin C a day and various other supplements and has for years.

The whole family are into health.

ETA:
Beta carotene, Vitamin D, zinc (other supplements he takes religiously).
So glad your in laws are pulling thro it. One good thing about the distancing, masks and working from home is that we eat a lot more garlic now (Edited, I mean in my house) without worrying about confined office space!

I do think our leaders have misled the public, when they've said most people will have a "mild" case. I know they had to balance creating panic with getting people to follow the rules, but that word mild annoys me.

I went into work yesterday and saw the woman who was ill the same time as me, back in March. She is 10 years younger than me and a thousand years fitter. Runs every day, no health issues, a really beautiful woman actually, one who glows you know? Anyway, as I'd been hit with a "fatigue" day again on Thursday I asked her, do you still get those weird tired days? Do I! she said, shaking her head. She said, they come from nowhere, random, and totally take me down.

thanks MrsArk, I have been in a bad depression for various reasons but I am feeling better now, not sure why, but glad to be feeling better. My darn broken ankle is finally healing and that has helped.
Glad the dark cloud is lifting Kensie.

My hair is cavewoman style. I'm having a hairdresser come to my home (a first for me) next week and literally now cannot wait. I think I may go quite short, it's driving me mad.

Our salons are open again now but the first appointment with my guy was later in August, so I'm "borrowing" my mum's hairdresser who she's known for years. Only dilemma left, is I need to get cash from somewhere. Amazing when you dont go out much, which things need planning.

Oh, I do too. But it's still depressing to me. In a way, I agree with him. Sure we are finding better ways to treat. And working on a vaccine. But that still doesn't necessarily mean we will eradicate it. Ugh. Jmo
If enough people get the vaccine then the virus won't find a host and will disappear hopefully IMO. UK have announced they will give a free vaccination to all over 50's an those with existing health conditions or shielding. Usually under 65's have to pay £10 for a flu vaccine so I think they are doing the same for that too. They have worked out a free vaccine costs way less than the hospitals filling up every winter.

Most people in England to be offered flu vaccine

Last edited:
So glad your in laws are pulling thro it. One good thing about the distancing, masks and working from home is that we eat a lot more garlic now (Edited, I mean in my house) without worrying about confined office space!

I do think our leaders have misled the public, when they've said most people will have a "mild" case. I know they had to balance creating panic with getting people to follow the rules, but that word mild annoys me.

I went into work yesterday and saw the woman who was ill the same time as me, back in March. She is 10 years younger than me and a thousand years fitter. Runs every day, no health issues, a really beautiful woman actually, one who glows you know? Anyway, as I'd been hit with a "fatigue" day again on Thursday I asked her, do you still get those weird tired days? Do I! she said, shaking her head. She said, they come from nowhere, random, and totally take me down.

Yeah I mean a mild case of COVID appears to be a really bad flu. So what’s a moderate case?

I will say I once had a bad flu - winter 1996/1997 - I was laid out for two weeks but I had after effects pretty intensely for a year and mildly for a couple years.

I thought I had AIDS.

When asked about this, Dr. Fauci said that he doesn't think it is necessary to shut down the country and start over. He said some areas might want to hit "pause" if they are surging, or go back to an earlier phase of their reopening, but if people would practice social distancing, wear face coverings, and wash their hands often, then that would be best while we wait for the vaccine.

Edited to add link to interview
Dr. Fauci: Don’t think it’s necessary to shut down the country amid coronavirus pandemic

I heard an expert say if we did those things we wouldn’t need to shut down at all!

But here we have people screaming that mask requirements and tracing programs are Nazi-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong