Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding needing a change of venue, I still hold strong to the belief they could find people here.

I know a few people who don’t have cable or internet. I also know people like my husband who don’t really care to follow the news because they don’t believe news reporters tell the truth. He prefers hard sourced evidence like court docs, scientific journals, etc.

All jmo

ITA. Also AFAIK (and someone already pointed this out upthread, but I can’t find the post right now), watching media coverage and/or following the case doesn’t preclude someone from serving on a jury, provided that they can swear to be an unbiased juror and are not otherwise dismissed for cause.

However, that doesn’t mean that one or both of the defense teams won’t file a motion to change the venue, arguing that the media coverage of details of the case make it impossible to find a local unbiased jury pool.

But IANAL.

Change of venue would normally have no effect on the prosecution team but normally WOULD mean a change of judge. I had a case, though, where venue was changed to another county and the assigned judge was simply made a “judge pro tem” of the other county and stayed on the case. Neither party asked for or objected to this move—I just found it odd as it was the first time in 25 years of law practice I had seen that happen.

@AZlawyer, this link explains what can happen with the judges when there is a change of venue in Idaho:

I.R.C.P. 40.1. Change of Venue | Supreme Court

Sounds like it aligns with your experience.

It's the weekend and instead of additional charges, it's just been legal wrangling which could possibly affect a change of venue. Assuming they get new charges and they are not federal charges, could the cases be tried out of state?

I just watched the attached CourtTV video about Chad the grave digger and at the 15:52 mark, it's said that the state of Utah has the DP. If they are tried in Utah do the sentences and penalties then pertain to Utah law or revert back to wherever the crimes were committed? I'm not a legal person and know absolutely nothing about the rules and laws about all this.
TIA.

@Spartygirl, that's what I would have thought but why would CourtTV even bring that up unless there was a reason to?

MOO She misspoke twice, once at 4:08 and then again as you noted around 15:52. I guess her mind was on the conversation she was having with the guy in Springville UT where he was a grave digger/sexton and had a brain blip. It happens, just that Vinnie didn't catch and correct her.

There were lots of commenters catching her error on the YouTube channel too.

With national news and SM, having case tried locally doesn't seem as important as in the past.

In this case being tried locally seems like a defendents advantage as locals would be familiar with Mormon acceptance of church member visions. MOO see it as something that went too far, instead of murders from the beginning with some religious cloaking.

MOO She misspoke twice, once at 4:08 and then again as you noted around 15:52. I guess her mind was on the conversation she was having with the guy in Springville UT where he was a grave digger/sexton and had a brain blip. It happens, just that Vinnie didn't catch and correct her.

There were lots of commenters catching her error on the YouTube channel too.
@dixiegirl1035, thanks for clearing that up for me. I should have read the comments but I guess I had my own brain blip.

Last edited:
Turns out I was wrong about the date of purchase of Tylee's Jeep. Upon rechecking from official sources, the vehicle (VIN 1C4GJXAN6JW326205) was titled in Texas on Friday, May 24th 2019, the day before JJ's 7th birthday. It was purchased new from a dealer in Spring, TX, a northern suburb of Houston.

The next verified sighting we have of the Jeep is on August 30, by Colby Ryan. Tylee told police at Charles's shooting site that she had driven a vehicle alone from Texas to Arizona. Presumably she was referring to the Jeep. I can find no information as to when this drive may have taken place.

The report from the official government "check to see if the car you are thinking of buying has been stolen" is attached.
Wait. Tylee drove a car from Texas to Arizona ALONE at the age of 16? Good grief!! Lori was a lousy mother!

Wait. Tylee drove a car from Texas to Arizona ALONE at the age of 16? Good grief!! Lori was a lousy mother!

The exact quote, when Chandler LE asks her if she could drive:

"Yeah. Drove here from Texas by myself, so I'm pretty used to it by now." [From Annie Cushing's Evidentiary Dashboard.]

You can decide for yourself if she meant that she was alone in the Jeep, or that someone was with her and she did all the driving.

The exact quote, when Chandler LE asks her if she could drive:

"Yeah. Drove here from Texas by myself, so I'm pretty used to it by now." [From Annie Cushing's Evidentiary Dashboard.]

You can decide for yourself if she meant that she was alone in the Jeep, or that someone was with her and she did all the driving.
She drove by herself,IMO. Also, IMO, LVD would have been happy if Tylee hadn’t made it back to AZ.

Two thoughts:

1). This is the first thing I’ve seen Means say/do/write that hints he may kinda know what he’s doing after all. Or else he found a good paralegal. The first part is so similar to JP’s it’s clear the two attorneys consulted each other before filing.

2). Did you notice he’s referring to his client as “Lori Vallow (Daybell)”. The parentheses must be driving her nuts and that pleases me to no end.

You would think that by objecting to RW motion to prohibit televised hearings that would make JP & MM case for change of venue harder. How will they argue for change of venue? Are they just going to say the "cat was already out of the bag" before the hearings? I would think they would have a stronger case if they made the attempt to reduce publicity. Can someone lay this out for me. I'm just having trouble wrapping my ahead around this.

You would think that by objecting to RW motion to prohibit televised hearings that would make JP & MM case for change of venue harder. How will they argue for change of venue? Are they just going to say the "cat was already out of the bag" before the hearings? I would think they would have a stronger case if they made the attempt to reduce publicity. Can someone lay this out for me. I'm just having trouble wrapping my ahead around this.
Exactly so, imo too.

I hope Judge Eddins makes a record of that too.

Regarding RW asking that the hearing not be televised 'live', could this be so the hearing could be redacted in places, to filter out any evidence that they do not want made public knowledge before released to the mainstream media/public? Still curious, as a lot are, as to all the reasons behind RW's thinking.

Regarding RW asking that the hearing not be televised 'live', could this be so the hearing could be redacted in places, to filter out any evidence that they do not want made public knowledge before released to the mainstream media/public? Still curious, as a lot are, as to all the reasons behind RW's thinking.
I think if that were the case he would ask for closed hearings.

I think it's a move to limit the defense arguments for a change of venue. moo

After reading both MM & JP motions and then reading the Atty Wright representing EIN, KIFI, and other local news outlets I am so impressed with the wording of that motion. It was professional, thoughtful, fair, just, sound, and backed up (cited). The obvious is stated (ie: this case is gathering attention from all over the world) but outlines how appropriate jury selection can be done without restricting transparency of the court to the public and the failsafe is already built in to the judicial process. I am really thankful he is representing the media and neither CD nor LVD. His motion does show a glaring difference between the Attorney's and possible level of expertise or experience? (IMO)

Just wondering....
Could this purchase of the Jeep and driving alone and living alone in her uncles apartment all be tied to her needing to "prove" emancipation so that she could begin receiving the life insurance policy funds that was court ordered and left for her in a trust by her father?? I recall that Tylee could not receive the bulk of this money early unless she were to prove emancipation.

I say this because, we assume LVD had a plan, like her family stated "She always had a plan", so if she knew what the fate of her children was going to be, and she was planning the wedding etc.... She would need to get the life insurance money from her daughter shored up pretty quickly and have the money flowing and secured for her (LVD) future.

Which leads me to this question, does anyone know if this emancipation was ever declared and the bulk of the life insurance money in fact turned over to Tylee? If it was, and we know LVD has/had access to her children's monies, is she able to still access this money for her defense?

If not, what is happening or has happened to the children's money that she was using? Has it been frozen? Are the insurance companies investigating the fradulent activities? Obviously we can't know the exact facts, but perhaps someone reading today has knowledge of legal info based on previous cases or experience in insurance?

I'm trying to figure out what money she might have access to in order to be paying for her defense.

@Campizi67 - I will attempt to answer some of your questions. It was CV that purchased the Jeep while he was still alive but TR did claim to drive it from TX to AZ - I am not sure if she was alone during the drive or not.

Emancipation is really a legal term that is quite a difficult process for juveniles to endure. In my State, the teen must prove they are 1) going to school full time, 2) working part time, 3) able to pay for their rent/food/electricity/everything by themselves on their own. If they prove they can sustain this and accomplish all on their own they can petition the court to emancipate them from their parent. It would not be in LVD's benefit if her child emancipates from her as the child is saying they're not being cared for/supported by the parent and the teen can do a better job for themselves than their parent has done for them and are asking the court to treat them as if they were an adult before turning 18.

TR would have been eligible for Social Security survivor benefits of JR (as would have JJ under CV's wages). I guess LVD decided she wanted the big insurance payouts instead of small monthly sums.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members