Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Seenit,

Imo, it’s the same things we were talking about in Feb:

1. Make sure you have your prescriptions ready to go / try to get a 90 day refill prescribed and get it now. This will ensure you don’t have to go to the pharmacy, or face any possible shortages. Also see if your pharmacy delivers.

2. Have your pantry stocked with shelf stable goods that can sustain: soups, broth, rice, beans, pasta, sauces, condiments. I say condiments because they help give some excitement and variety to the banal. And if you have a ready made sauce, it’ll suffice for no fresh ingredients.

3. Have an extra bottle of bleach on hand. We know this kills the virus, and it goes a long way, better than wipes, imo, which is hard to find anyway. It can be diluted and you can get a whole bucket out of just a little bleach, with the proper ratios.

4. Have all your pet goods, including treats, chews and medications. (I say chews because I forgot those the last time and my dog was not happy).

5. Any over the counter things you need, a big bottle of Tylenol, tums, etc.

6. Have minimal toiletries- soap, etc.

If you slowly try to get these, say a few extra cans here and there when you shop, then there’s no hoarding going on and less strain on supply chains when stuff hits the fan. It’s also economically easier than having to suddenly buy a bunch of stuff. Plus, you can get it now while it is available.

I’ve realized since March what I do and don’t want to live without. I’ve realized I don’t want to live without cheese and mustard lol, especially if I’m stuck eating sandwiches all the time. I think this is what you should think about: what can and can’t you live without. If you are stuck in your house during the cold months, what will you want? I have some extra teabags and coffee.

I learned potatoes were impossible to find. So the past month I’ve bought potatoes, boiled, chopped and frozen them in small portions. This way I can just grab a small portion for soup, or casserole, or hash browns or mashed.

I have 4 stackable containers in my freezer. Each container has a pack of bacon, a pack of cheese, a pack of tortillas, a pack of lunchmeat, some meat, vegetables and potatoes.

I also have bought things like minced onion, garlic powder etc should fresh produce be a problem.

I wonder if toilet paper will become extinct again. I’ve gotten a couple extra packs of those now while it’s available, just incase.

These are a few thoughts. If I think of anything else I’ll tag ya.
@margarita25

Thanks, Oviedo :)

Also adding:

I’ve also learned certain things don’t last around here, like some snacks, so I’ve been focusing on more “meal based” items for “sustenance”.

Saturday I made a gluten free, egg free, dairy free cookie cake for my youngest’s 23rd birthday. It came out good and she liked it.

I converted the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. GF flour, butter flavored Crisco, egg substitute and no chocolate chips. I pressed the 1/2 the dough into a 10” round cake pan. Baked it at 350 deg until it was golden brown because GF stuff has to be baked a bit longer.

For the icing:
2-3 tablespoons Country Crock plant butter sticks which have soy.
2-3 tablespoons Silk brand vanilla flavored soy based yogurt
8 oz regular powdered sugar

I blended the butter and yogurt, then added the powdered sugar until it was the consistency I wanted. I spread it on the cooled cookie and added chocolate sprinkles that are also soy based.

The rest of the dough I baked in a pie tin and made some cookies too. She can freeze the pie tin and use it as a crust for a dessert pizza. The icing can be frozen too.

Attachments

• EC3A8ADB-4B19-4D41-9E2D-4EBC64D43439.jpeg
    EC3A8ADB-4B19-4D41-9E2D-4EBC64D43439.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
Saturday I made a gluten free, egg free, dairy free cookie cake for my youngest’s 23rd birthday. It came out good and she liked it.

I converted the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. GF flour, butter flavored Crisco, egg substitute and no chocolate chips. I pressed the 1/2 the dough into a 10” round cake pan. Baked it at 350 deg until it was golden brown because GF stuff has to be baked a bit longer.

For the icing:
2-3 tablespoons Country Crock plant butter sticks which have soy.
2-3 tablespoons Silk brand vanilla flavored soy based yogurt
8 oz regular powdered sugar

I blended the butter and yogurt, then added the powdered sugar until it was the consistency I wanted. I spread it on the cooled cookie and added chocolate sprinkles that are also soy based.

The rest of the dough I baked in a pie tin and made some cookies too. She can freeze the pie tin and use it as a crust for a dessert pizza. The icing can be frozen too.

That looks wonderful! I am a vegan and I have found that instead of finding fancy recipes for vegan baked goods that use too many hard to find ingredients, it is easier to just sub out some of the things with replacements. Especially during Covid times when I am limiting store trips.

That looks wonderful! I am a vegan and I have found that instead of finding fancy recipes for vegan baked goods that use too many hard to find ingredients, it is easier to just sub out some of the things with replacements. Especially during Covid times when I am limiting store trips.
Yes exactly! We have no choice but to make substitutions. Her food allergies are terrible.

I convert recipes and my two kids (23 & 27) are so excited when something comes out yummy! LOL!

I hadn’t gone to the produce pickup in a few weeks so that we could eat what we had. Today I picked up my produce. In addition to the produce, they gave me 2 gallons of whole milk. Lots of grapefruit that I need to find someone to take. Lots of cucumbers to share too. I don’t know what the head of lettuce looking thing is. I peeled off the bad outer leaves.

I need to go prep now!

Attachments

• 58F40969-C101-430A-B691-6E9531953B23.jpeg
    58F40969-C101-430A-B691-6E9531953B23.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 31
I don’t know what the head of lettuce looking thing is. I peeled off the bad outer leaves.

I need to go prep now!

Almost looks like a Napa cabbage.

We have been getting produce boxes every week from the school and I have a surplus. I ordered a mandolin off Amazon so I can start chopping/shredding everything to use or freeze.

I hadn’t gone to the produce pickup in a few weeks so that we could eat what we had. Today I picked up my produce. In addition to the produce, they gave me 2 gallons of whole milk. Lots of grapefruit that I need to find someone to take. Lots of cucumbers to share too. I don’t know what the head of lettuce looking thing is. I peeled off the bad outer leaves.

I need to go prep now!
Looks like napa cabbage. We get a CSA box and it was included in our box recently. This is a great link to some ideas. When we got it, I made slaw and used some for stir fry. Happy Cooking!!
Everything You Need to Know About Preparing and Storing Napa Cabbage | Stories | Kitchen Stories

Summer is so enjoyable with fresh fruit and vegetables. I made bruschetta last night: tomatoes, basil, garlic and salt. It was simple, and just bursting with flavor.

I am enjoying just making very simple dishes, to really focus on the flavor of the fresh produce.

Summer is so enjoyable with fresh fruit and vegetables. I made bruschetta last night: tomatoes, basil, garlic and salt. It was simple, and just bursting with flavor.

I am enjoying just making very simple dishes, to really focus on the flavor of the fresh produce.

DH and I had gotten so much fresh produce two weeks ago that we didn't even need to make a trip to Salvaggio's last week. We have plenty of chicken, meat, shrimp, etc. in the freezer and were able to enjoy different vegetables with each meal. Grilled peaches, plums, and nectarines basted with butter and brown sugar make a delightful dessert :)

I now have 8 ripe pears and 4 new green pears. I need to reinvent a pear recipe now..... the baked pears with honey didn’t go over well.

More specifically, a GF, DF, EF pear recipe. My Crazy Life.

Oh this sounds yummy. Well, minus the walnuts. I may reduce the sugar to 1 cup so it’s not so sweet. Hmmm, I may need to pick up some more GF flour on the way home from treatment tomorrow.

Fresh Pear Bread

Ingredients
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears (about 4 medium)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Last edited:
I now have 8 ripe pears and 4 new green pears. I need to reinvent a pear recipe now..... the baked pears with honey didn’t go over well.

I just wash them, cut them up, and freeze them for smoothies. My husband loves them in smoothies. No need to even peel.

i have a cast iron skillet and lard. god help me... I'm also planning to make jerk pork for the holiday weekend because I score a pork loin on sale for 1.99 / lb. the recipe is time consuming but it is so good - I made it several years ago and still remember.
The Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe.
Bumping this Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe forward.
I made this for the second time yesterday. It is sooooo good! I omit the hot peppers (we do not like Spicey hot food). The marinade is the bomb! I only used about a 1/4 of the pork loin for me and DH. I sliced off some of the raw pork loin to make homemade breaded tenderloins later.

Bumping this Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe forward.
I made this for the second time yesterday. It is sooooo good! I omit the hot peppers (we do not like Spicey hot food). The marinade is the bomb! I only used about a 1/4 of the pork loin for me and DH. I sliced off some of the raw pork loin to make homemade breaded tenderloins later.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it @kalvis - i made it again and used jalapeno peppers and it wasn't as spicy as I thought it might be- and now that our chili pepper plants are producing red peppers I may add that in as well next time.

Maybe this? I haven't tried this recipe specifically, but make upside down pear gingerbread all the time using a boxed gingerbread mix and everyone loves it!

Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members