GUILTY SC - Devon Epps, 7, murdered, Greenville, 12 Aug 2007

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
Mother Says Carjacker Suffocated 7-Year-Old

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- A 7-year-old boy was smothered to death late Sunday night and his mother says his killer was a knife-wielding carjacker.

The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office got a call at about 11 p.m. from a woman who said she had been stopped at the intersection of Jacobs Road and the Interstate 85 Frontage Road.

Deputies said that the woman told them a man forced his way into the car, pulled a knife and forced her to drive to a dirt road near the intersection.

Investigators said the woman told them the man took an object and smothered the child. Deputies would not say what the woman said the object was.

Deputies said that the woman told them the man ran into a nearby wooded area.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/13876934/detail.html

Ummm....yeah, right....this doesn't pass the smell test. Sounds like another Susan Smith to me, for now.

That's exactly how it struck me, Leigh.

This smells to me also. Why would he have highjacked the car and then run away on foot? Let me guess, she still had her purse and money with her also!!
That poor child :(

VB

She had non life threatening injuries...that is just all too familiar from other cases we've followed.

Bumping so I can find it for updates when they become available.

That poor child. I hope whoever did this has to face the music.

from what i was able to find it takes about 4 minutes for some1 to die from lack of oxygen to the brain. why would a stranger grab a mom and child just to kill the child like this? it was not to take the car because he ran off o foot. what was the mother doing during these 4 minutes? i want to know more about her injuries. unless she was beat to a bloody pulp and knocked out it wont make sense to me. that would not be life threatening but would be the only way i could understand how a man could smother her child and she not stop him.

Smells like Susan Smith all over again :furious: Greenville is not that far from Union either.

The Greenville County Sheriff's Office has released a sketch of a suspect who a woman says killed a seven year old boy and attacked her late Sunday night.

The suspect is described as a white male in his late 30's early 40's with reddish hair. He is believed to be 6'0" and weighs 200-225 pounds and was wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans.

An autopsy on the young boy is scheduled for Monday.

Lt. Shea Smith with the Greenville County Sheriff's Office said a woman called them and reported being carjacked while stopped for a traffic signal near White Horse Road around 11:00pm Sunday.

"She stopped at this intersection and call the Sheriff's Office and reported that her son had been smothered with a pillow by the male that got into the car," said Lt. Smith. "He left the car at this intersection and went out into a wooded area." http://www.wspa.com/midatlantic/spa/news.apx.-content-articles-SPA-2007-08-13-0002.html

When she stopped at a stop sign at the frontage road’s intersection with Jacobs Road, a man opened the passenger door where the boy was sitting and told him to get in the back seat, Hildebrand said
The carjacker -- described as a white man in his late 30s to early 40s with reddish hair and a beard -- demanded she drive to a wooded area near the intersection, Hildebrand said. The carjacker then put a pillow over the boy’s face, he said. http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070813/NEWS01/708130326

I got through half of the first sentence with this, and all I could think of was Susan Smith and Dianne----oh heck, her last name is escaping me---the one with the three kids that were shot in their car years ago---someone here knows who I mean.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but her story smells like dirty diapers.

Diane Downs- killed one daughter (Shawna), shot Robbie in the spine and left him paralyzed, and left the oldest daughter with paralysis of an upper extremity- her name was Karen. Me thinks I smell somethin rotten here!!!!

Diane Downs perhaps? I agree with most here, this really sets off the hinkey meter. I can't make sense of why someone would just jump into a strangers car to suffocate their child and then jump back out. What was she supposedly doing during this time, watching? If the attacker had made her get out of the car and took off and then did something like this it would be a bit more believable. The things that make ya go hmmmmmm.................

ETA: Opps, I see dr dona beat me to it. Sorry.

I immediately thought of Susan Smith when I read this. :furious:

Where's the rolling eyes emoticon when you need one?

Although I'm really sad for that little boy. I"m thinking she's covering for someone (boyfriend etc) or she did it. It's either for "love" like Smith/Downs, or I bet he had some disorder and she couldn't handle it.

I possess a large ability to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this doesn't pass my smell test even a little bit. Strangers don't jump in the backs of cars and murder children while the mother is in the driver's seat.

This mother is covering up a terrible crime. I hope the truth will emerge sooner rather than later. My prayers to the family.

I am just find it incredibly hard to beleive this story.. call me cynical but there is just way too much about this crime that doesnt make sense...

You stop at a light and a man opens your car door wielding a knife.. but instead of gunning the car you sit and wait while your child climbs into the back seat that behest of the knife wielding criminal.. you could have gunned it before he got in or while the child is out of the car and said criminal is in the front seat.. could have hnked horn or created other commotion that results in the attention of folks nearby..
Second, why is there a pilow conviently in the car if your simply running errands or doing other such local activities?
Thirdly, ciminal asks you to drive somewhere rural and smothers your child.. while you do what? sit and watch?
So this criminals intent/motive was what.. robbery? no.. sexual assualt? no.. stealing a car? no.. just smothering a random child with a conviently placed pillow. right.. makes no sense.
Also the type of weapon used speaks to me of someone who has emotional ties to the victim..not of someone whith no emotional or other ties to the child..he has a knife but doesnt use it .. uses a pillow which seems to be a very kind method of causing death..
I just dont believe this womans story..

I really wish we would all have to eat some crow. BUT I don't tthink so.
As soon as I read the first post, I thought something just doesn't sound right.
I bet her story changes a zillion times. Either she did it, or like someone else said she is covering for a boyfriend.
I hope we are wrong, but I doubt that we are.
So Sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back