FL FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found wandering streets), Miramar, 27 July 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could she have in Georgia? Could she have obtained a DL in another state or would her suspended license carry over?
I would think it would be difficult to get a license from another state, especially during the past 4-5 months. The DMV was operating on reduced hours due to the pandemic and was even closed for quite a while. The line is ridiculously long in GA, with 20-30 people standing outside in the hot sun.

I would think it would be difficult to get a license from another state, especially during the past 4-5 months. The DMV was operating on reduced hours due to the pandemic and was even closed for quite a while. The line is ridiculously long in GA, with 20-30 people standing outside in the hot sun.
So, I'm guessing the truck wasn't in her name unless she owned it prior to having a suspended license, which I doubt.
Which brings me to my next question. Did the owner of the truck travel with her to Florida or did someone loan it to her for that long trip?
Iirc she and Kam were seen in Walmart with a man. The truck was found in the Walmart parking lot.
So, did she leave in another vehicle with that man from Walmart? Did they meet up at Walmart?

So, I'm guessing the truck wasn't in her name unless she owned it prior to having a suspended license, which I doubt.
Which brings me to my next question. Did the owner of the truck travel with her to Florida or did someone loan it to her for that long trip?
Iirc she and Kam were seen in Walmart with a man. The truck was found in the Walmart parking lot.
So, did she leave in another vehicle with that man from Walmart? Did they meet up at Walmart?
Have we been able to confirm she is with “a man” or “woman” for that matter? Source?

I am in need of a second set of eyes. There is a FB page called Hollywood Beach, FL. I decided to scroll through recent photos. There is one post on July 25 credited to an AF. There is a pic of a couple taking a selfie on the beach, she is wearing a white dress. The girl sort of/kind of reminds me of LC. Any chance you could take a look and see your thoughts? Probably nothing but thought I'd see what you all thought. Note to all: do not bring page or picture here!!
I can see a similarity in the hair, but only the hair. I would say no based on facial features.

Currently, in GA you must make an appointment to get a DL. Per GA DDS website:
If you were issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen:
  • You must provide a certified copy of your driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card.
  • The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days.
  • Note: DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.

Good question. Her AL drivers license was suspended. You can't register a vehicle on a suspended license.

This isn’t true in a lot of states, all that I’ve seen or encountered actually. Not only can you register a vehicle on a suspended or revoked license, you don’t need a license at all. I know different states have different requirements but I’ve never seen a state that requires an active, clean, valid license to register a motor vehicle. Ever. At the end of the day the states are more concerned with collecting the taxes and fees associated with vehicle purchases and registration.

The argument can also be made that just because you can’t legally operate a vehicle, doesn’t exclude a legal driver from operating your vehicle for you.

The issues that would arise from a suspended license would be in obtaining insurance and proof of, which IS required for registering a vehicle in most states. Many policy writers will reject a request for insurance by a driver with a suspended license and those that will accept an application for coverage will increase the payments/premiums due to obvious increased risk of insuring a driver with a suspended license. Most policies also will not cover drivers involved in an accident that occurred involving the policy holder operating a motor vehicle on a suspended license, regardless of “at fault” findings as well.

Lastly, of course it would also be against the law to operate the registered motor vehicle if that operator was doing so on a suspended license. That said, there are a lot of illegal things but that doesn’t keep people from doing them regardless unfortunately. While laws are intended to prevent people from doing things that shouldn’t be allowed, sadly this doesn’t work and they only act to enforce consequences for those that choose to do so anyway.

Isn't it possible, too, that she just took off with her son for a little vacation in FL? The pandemic is causing a lot of us stress and I can empathize with the desire to just get away from life for a bit. Perhaps it was a very last minute, impulsive decision and she kind of "winged" it. Maybe she didn't announce it to anyone because she felt they might judge her for vacationing in FL during COVID. Who knows?

Once there, perhaps they came into contact with a bad actor, just by going out in public and doing things. This person abducted her but chose not to hurt her son so just left him out of the car in a place he would likely soon be found. This is all just IMO and supposition.

Isn't it possible, too, that she just took off with her son for a little vacation in FL? The pandemic is causing a lot of us stress and I can empathize with the desire to just get away from life for a bit. Perhaps it was a very last minute, impulsive decision and she kind of "winged" it. Maybe she didn't announce it to anyone because she felt they might judge her for vacationing in FL during COVID. Who knows?

Once there, perhaps they came into contact with a bad actor, just by going out in public and doing things. This person abducted her but chose not to hurt her son so just left him out of the car in a place he would likely soon be found. This is all just IMO and supposition.
Ok, but on one of her recent Internet sales posts she stated she would resume work soon. No mention of a vacation.

Police believe she’s in danger. They have video surveillance of something we don’t know what. Wonder if/when they’ll release that? I’m guessing the footage may have another person in it they are trying to locate? Maybe? Otherwise why not release it?

YES!!!
ITA!!!

Oviedo has been spectacular in keeping many of our case Maps, Media, and Timeline threads thoroughly up to date!!!

Thank you, Oviedo and Margarita!!! : clapping :

(Also a very special shout out to @dotr for posting all the videos, etc., and always being an excellent conduit of information in so many cases and threads. :) )

Last edited:
I’m wondering if there is a direct Miami link somewhere, jmo. This is not based on any source or fact, just a thought based on some things I’ve learned from other Florida cases.

—-
BBM:
Source:
https://www.miamiherald.com/article244579327.html

Residence:
“Cavett was staying with her aunt Robin Jenkins in Dawsonville, until the two had a disagreement and Cavett moved to a friend’s house, according to West.
Rsbm

(Marking, thanks. This may (or may not) be potentially significant.)

Last edited:
It looks like they could have been kidnapped from Walmart parking lot and the kidnapper stopped at a motel or apartment close to where Kamdyn was found. He probably was left outside or in a car and was able to just wander off. The Mother is probably or was probably in a nearby motel or apartment close to where Kandyn was found.

More random thoughts / re: the apartments:

We have seen cases where children have gotten out of a residence, but I’m not really “feeling that” in this case. I think he was placed in that area intentionally. Maybe he wandered a bit, but I wouldn’t anticipate too far. Again, who really knows. I could be wrong, of course.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if she was trying to sell something through FB and someone messaged to meet her about the items then they abducted her and her son? I really don't think this is a drug situation she doesn't at all seem to be that type of person. She seems more like a mother with a young child just doing what she can to provide for the two of them. I think a lot of us can relate to that and sadly those are the ones who get taken most often it seems. When it comes to providing for our kids we tend to do things in a time of struggle against our better judgement like agreeing to meet people we don't know by ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77