Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said the United States' staggering death toll from coronavirus "is what it is" in a new interview, again giving his administration credit for its response despite ongoing surges in new cases and a human toll that far outpaces that of any other nation.

When confronted with the US' daily death toll and Trump's messaging on the pandemic during an interview with Axios on HBO that aired Monday night, the President grew defensive and appeared frustrated by Jonathan Swan's questions about the crisis.
"I've gone to your rallies. I've talked to your people. They love you. They listen to you. They listen to every word you say. They hang on your every word," Swan said. "And so when they hear you say, 'everything's under control. Don't worry about wearing masks,' I mean, these are people -- many of them are older people."

Well, what's your definition of control?" Trump replied, adding: "I think it's under control."
"How? A thousand Americans are dying a day," Swan said.
"They are dying. That's true. And you -- it is what it is," Trump said emphatically. "But that doesn't mean we aren't doing everything we can. It's under control as much as you can control it."

more at link:
Trump on Covid death toll: 'It is what it is' - CNNPolitics

"It is what it is." = "WhatEvs."

There are so many people all around the internet echoing his attitude. They are also more likely to get CoVId than many of us - so there's that. Whatevs. Let them get Covid and just look the other way.

Is that the proper stance?

Woman Assaulted In Nj Staples In Dispute Over Mask

from Eyewitness News ABC7NY

"A 54-year-old woman who recently had a liver transplant was assaulted inside a New Jersey Staples store after asking the assailant to wear a mask, and the harrowing incident was caught on surveillance video."

Dear God.

Appalling, repulsive, disgusting, despicable behavior. Look at what these people are resorting to, attacking and assaulting people, coughing on them near their children. No words for this reprehensible behavior. They should be ashamed of themselves.

The level of ignorance, stupidity and selfishness is stunning.

Karma’s a you know what.

"A 54-year-old woman who recently had a liver transplant was assaulted inside a New Jersey Staples store after asking the assailant to wear a mask, and the harrowing incident was caught on surveillance video."

The attacker should be locked up for aggravated assault (and hopefully has priors that will make this one stick), but I'm still completely flummoxed as to what compels people to keep initiating these encounters.

This is what is driving many people to take the attitude that if somebody is so uneasy that they have to confront strangers, then they have absolutely no business leaving the house in the first place. It's unfortunate, but I hear that several times a day from people.

Dear God.

Appalling, repulsive, disgusting, despicable behavior. Look at what these people are resorting to, attacking and assaulting people, coughing on them near their children. No words for this reprehensible behavior. They should be ashamed of themselves.

The level of ignorance, stupidity and selfishness is stunning.

Karma’s a you know what.

The poor woman ended up with a broken leg too.

The poor woman ended up with a broken leg too.

I hope that monster has been located and charged with assault and gets thrown in JAIL.

I’ve got nothing nice to say. And Lucky (for her) I didn’t see that happen is all I’ve got to say.

Again, this makes my BLOOD BOIL, so again taking a break from this heartbreaking MADNESS. Selfish, stupid, heartless idiots.

I hope that woman will be okay after her transplant. Just horrific.

Eta: Be careful out there folks. People have lost their damn minds (if they ever had one to begin with). Not only do they think they have a right to spread disease, they think it’s ok to assault people who address it.

Last edited:
So...about claims of hoarding and "panic buying." (RANT WARNING)

I'll tell you what. I sleep better knowing that our household is stocked. We are *not* going to the grocery store. If we were going to the store right now, we'd want to minimize the number of trips. So, yep, I'd buy a couple more of things we really have to have on hand. My DH in particular, like many people, have special dietary needs. If we run out of what he can eat, what then? I don't want to lie awake wondering about using the last of the food he can eat.

That being said, so far, most of what we actually need to stock on is not on everyone else's list and no, we don't want to take the last 10 rolls of toilet paper. OTOH, it's often sold in packs of 6 or 12. We are going to need some someday - I've got 3 rolls hidden and when I get to those, I'll search for more (last time, had to have family members seek them out - that's not exactly great).

I imagine lots and lots of people are the same way. Who wants to go to the store every other day? If a food can last, we stock up. And it really doesn't take that long for us to get through half of what we have on hand.

We have two sets of pantry items: used all the time, and "in store for a real emergency." That's what any normal person does, if they live where there are hurricanes, fires, earthquakes etc. We buy canned tuna and salmon (wild, line caught, dolphin-friendly) online - so why would we want to pay more for shipping and handling? It comes 12 cans in a box, so we order 24. It lasts less than a year. Is that hoarding? AFAIK, the company still has more - although they won't have it right before salmon season starts, so we stock up.

There are items (posole) that are nearly impossible to find. It's something my DH can eat. We're down to 2 cans. I have the ingredients to make more (probably 4 cans worth). It's out of stock continually here, but if my shopper finds 4 cans, is that panic buying? On both Amazon and Instacart, we often get fewer of what we ordered, obviously we're getting the last of stock.

So, since I buy infrequently, I'm supposed to buy less? What? How is encouraging people to shop more frequently a good thing right now?

What the heck is "panic buying"? Are people literally hitting the stores at opening and buying all of everything that's on a typical shopping list? Like eggs? We eat a lot of them, have 4 dozen in the fridge (down from 8 dozen a month ago). I felt guilty adding more to our cart today, so now I'll have to do another cart sooner than we usually do.

If we ever do run out of eggs, it'll be very bad for DH. Am I panicked?

No, but it's a concern and why should I want anyone to make more runs to the store? I expect that lots of people feel the same way.

Asking the public to limit their essential shopping to a smaller amount of items (thus returning to the store 4-7 days later) seems really strange. Can't stores just put limits on things that are essential and in short supply? We are unable to get fresh salmon, smoked salmon, potatoes (often), frozen potatoes, onions, carrots that are actually edible, specialty and other cheeses, line caught tuna, our regular toothpaste, grass fed beef, my favorite triscuits, Skinny Pop popcorn, and much else - if I want those things, I have to order online and pay more.
I've been feeling overwhelmed all day. I'm well stocked up with most everything we need except for a few things. I made my (every 2 week) trip to the store this morning. Entire meat and frozen sections are bare again. Nothing but labels and prices on the shelves. I've been careful to only buy double of what I would normally get if they have plenty. Aldi did have limits on a lot of stuff but not anymore. I told the clerk it was scary seeing the shelves bare again. He said what's really scary is that the back is as bare as the shelves in the store.

Hospitals Struggle to Contain Covid-19 Spread Inside Their Walls

more at link
U.S. medical centers have reported 5,000-plus cases of patients likely catching the coronavirus once admitted for other conditions, adding to the strain of the pandemic itself[/
tvcxz xxaxahb

more at link
U.S. medical centers have reported 5,000-plus cases of patients likely catching the coronavirus once admitted for other conditions, adding to the strain of the pandemic itself

I was very interested in this article so I subscribed to WSJ- it is like 1.00 a week for 9 weeks. I thought it was worth it. I have always worried that despite hospitals saying how they sanitized and all of that, that a patient could still contract the virus- and I am right. it is downright scary.

I've been feeling overwhelmed all day. I'm well stocked up with most everything we need except for a few things. I made my (every 2 week) trip to the store this morning. Entire meat and frozen sections are bare again. Nothing but labels and prices on the shelves. I've been careful to only buy double of what I would normally get if they have plenty. Aldi did have limits on a lot of stuff but not anymore. I told the clerk it was scary seeing the shelves bare again. He said what's really scary is that the back is as bare as the shelves in the store.

Where is this, if you don't mind me asking? These posts got me curious, so I just ran down to grocery store and the shelves are packed. Maybe a little thin on meat, but that tends to happen at this place, based on sales, day of week, time of day, etc.

Where is this, if you don't mind me asking? These posts got me curious, so I just ran down to grocery store and the shelves are packed. Maybe a little thin on meat, but that tends to happen at this place, based on sales, day of week, time of day, etc.
No probs in the UK that I've noticed re grocery availability either. Still can't get a delivery slot in my area (unless you're in the vulnerable category and prioritised, like my parents), but shelves are ok.

I just cannot believe we have come to this point as a society.
We’ve got medical responders across the board risking their lives to save people from this virus. And now, we’ve got teachers who are being put in another **** storm.
When do their voices get heard? What about the little people? The ones that aren’t wielding guns and rioting?

That's the thing. While I originally really sympathized with the restaurant workers and hair stylists whose livelihoods were threatened, I don't see equal empathy/outspokenness on behalf of nurses, respiratory techs, bus drivers (several dead in various CoVid ways - including being beaten to death), doctors, EMT's, firemen (very high positives), LE and...teachers.

What's really essential here? All of those people using their unemployment to go out to eat...wow. On Saturday, the local news here started telling people to "save part of their unemployment" and "be thrifty" because it won't be as good in the next month. DUH. Why is everyone going out to eat in the first place, right now?

So yes - those workers should have gotten wage replacement of some type, but there's no excuse for their belligerent, risky behavior. MOO.

Are you in the US? The reason I ask is because I went to the supermarket last Saturday and it was well stocked.

A 47-year-old man is accused of grabbing a child wearing a mask at a restaurant, getting close to his face and telling him: “You now have coronavirus.”

Jason Andrew Copenhaver, of Redington Shores, was arrested on charges of simple battery and disorderly conduct after the incident, according to Treasure Island police.

The incident took place at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday at 10601 Gulf Blvd., which is the address for Ricky T’s.

Copenhaver approached the child, who was at a table wearing a mask, according to arrest reports. The boy’s age was not released by police.

‘You now have coronavirus,’ man tells boy at Treasure Island restaurant, police say

People have gone insane. How could they do that to a child??! That man is essentially a terrorist. Who knows what kind of psychological damage he could have done to that poor kid.

It's totally unacceptable to behave that way, and I hope that he is punished accordingly.

What also made me upset, when looking at this longer video, is that it appears (IMO) the other customers around the injured woman do not help. Now I know in these extraordinary times we might be fearful of touching a stranger, but how about at least asking if she’s ok and go look for the store mgr to help? Not a good look for that woman who was in the black tee and white pants who just goes right back to her copying machine after using her foot to move the plexiglass divider that the attacker had knocked over.

That's the thing. While I originally really sympathized with the restaurant workers and hair stylists whose livelihoods were threatened, I don't see equal empathy/outspokenness on behalf of nurses, respiratory techs, bus drivers (several dead in various CoVid ways - including being beaten to death), doctors, EMT's, firemen (very high positives), LE and...teachers.

What's really essential here? All of those people using their unemployment to go out to eat...wow. On Saturday, the local news here started telling people to "save part of their unemployment" and "be thrifty" because it won't be as good in the next month. DUH. Why is everyone going out to eat in the first place, right now?

So yes - those workers should have gotten wage replacement of some type, but there's no excuse for their belligerent, risky behavior. MOO.

We almost never eat out so I can't muster up a lot of sympathy for it. I know that masses of people in my town support a lot of restaurants like that. But we never did and I don't want packages of food strangers have touched during a pandemic.

But being out of work and using your unemployment for fast food just seems colossally stupid to me. My husband has not lost any work but I'm still actively planning in case he does. I'm afraid our society is just too short sighted here. Everyone just wants this to go away and is so living like ignoring it is going to help. That's clearly not working for anyone so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire