Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
Families claim nursing home hasn’t been honest about what’s going on inside

“Some families who lost loved ones are claiming a Charlotte nursing home hasn’t been open and honest about whats going on inside.

On Tuesday, the state reported that 69 staff and residents at Hunter Woods Nursing and Rehabilitation Center on Tom Hunter Road have tested positive for the virus and six residents have died from it.”
That is mind boggling. Really? Letting postive cases work? Are these positive workers living in the facility? Don't they come and go and go to gas stations for fuel and other things that you have to do when you travel to work? That is unbelievable.

That is mind boggling. Really? Letting postive cases work? Are these positive workers living in the facility? Don't they come and go and go to gas stations for fuel and other things that you have to do when you travel to work? That is unbelievable.
Loved ones concerned as virus cases grow inside local nursing home

Family says nursing home with COVID-19 outbreak was negligent in caring for son

Working at Hunter Woods Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Charlotte, NC: Employee Reviews | Indeed.com

The staff does not live at the facility.

Remarkable data from the CDC. The CDC considers the flu to be at pandemic levels when the percentage of flu deaths to total deaths generally in the range of 5.5% to 7.5% depending on the month. Not surpisingly given what we know, the percentage of deaths with COVID-19 to total deaths among those younger than 25 is well under the flu pandemic level.

But COVID-19 is also well below pandemic level for the population of white people age 25 to 64, and barely at the flu pandemic level for those 65 and over.

Contrast this to the black and hispanic communities where deaths with COVID-19 as a percentage of total deaths for those age 25 and above is very high.

This is not surprising. Everything we see shows that COVID-19 is really only a threat to the sick and elderly and those without access to quality healthcare. We've see that the nursing home policies of New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusettes, Michigan and Pennyslvania were devastating to the nursing home population in those states, and that half of all COVID-19 deaths were of sick and/or elderly individuals in nursing homes.

Other areas that have had signficant fatalies include Louisiana--where there is a significant population of elderly who rely on a struggling Louisiana Medicaid program; Washington DC, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Baltimore, and Mississippi--where there is a significant poor and elderly African-America population; and in the Border Counties in Arizona, Texas, and California--where there is a significant poor Hispanic/Latino immigrant population.

View attachment 258393
I am not sure what you are saying in this post.

I'm the same. I've always tried to have enough to last awhile, of all kinds of household things, groceries etc.
Enough that if something happened, like getting ill, that you would be okay for a month at least.
I love shopping but for the basics I've never like the idea of "having" to go shopping every couple of days for them. What a drudge.
That's no way to live in my opinion, sort of meal to meal. I know some are forced to live this this but others seem to live like that by choice, heaven knows why, and are always running out of things and having to rush to the shops all the time. Running around like headless chooks.
I buy some things when they're on special, half price often, things like laundry liquid or powder, dishwasher pods, washing up liquid, air fresheners, cosmetics, vitamins etc.
I always like to have a spare at least, like one full jar of coffee and a spare one.
It makes me feel that if something happened, I got sick for instance that I would be okay for awhile.
So far I don't think I've hoarded anything, more like I have been buying a bit more of certain things like hand sanitiser etc, but just the odd bottle, every now and then so now I think I have enough to last for awhile.

I don’t consider having a well stocked pantry and freezer as hoarding - I’ve been through too many hurricanes and economic downturns to not do this for my family and friends - I share when others are in need - the shortages I’ve seen since March are very disturbing IMO but I think it’s going to get much worse so I will continue to shop as I always have although the new Costco membership is killing me $$$ - I’ve learned a lot following this Covid thread and I appreciate all the contributions as they have helped my family quite a bit
JMO

Last edited:
I'm the same. I've always tried to have enough to last while, of all kinds of household things, groceries etc.
Enought that if something happened, like getting ill, that you would be okay for a month at least.
I love shopping but for the basics I've never like the idea of "having" to go shopping every couple of days for them. What a drudge.
That's no way to live in my opinion, sort of meal to meal. I know some are forced to live this this but others seem to live like that by choice, heaven knows why, and are always running out of things and having to rush to the shops all the time. Running around like headless chooks.
I buy some things when they're on special, half price often, things like laundry liquid or powder, dishwasher pods, washing up liquid, air fresheners, cosmetics, vitamins etc.
I always like to have a spare at least, like one full jar of coffee and a spare one.
It makes me feel that if something happened, I got sick for instance that I would be okay for awhile.
So far I don't think I've hoarded anything, more like I have been buying a bit more a of certain thing, like the hand sanitiser etc, but just the odd bottle, every now and then so now I think I have enough to last for awhile.
I have a friend who has her whole laundry packed with toilet paper and paper towels. She also has her undercover back veranda stacked with boxes of tinned goods and dry products because they wont fit in her cupboards in her house. She is 73 years old and lives alone.
When I showed surprise at her hoarding, she answered 'Eff you, I am not going to miss out on anything'. I don't get this attitude. There is enough for everyone.

Are you in the US? The reason I ask is because I went to the supermarket last Saturday and it was well stocked.

I wonder if it is the difference between living in higher population density area. The rural areas seem to be well stocked, more cities, have problems with keeping supplies on the shelf.

We have hardly been to the store this Summer. Between the CSA vegetables, eggs, milk, and the 3 or 4 big shopping trips I made, we are good.

I worry about things though.

Over 10% of those dying in America this year (age 45 and older) died with Covid-19? Truly mind-boggling.

ETA: This conclusion is no longer verifiable using posted information at this site. I have no opinion as to the veracity of my own conclusion and have not been able to find verification online. What I do know, COVID-19 is much more likely to result in serious health consequences among those who become infected (aged 18 and older) who are immuno-compromised. A large percentage of the American population is at-risk and should be diligent in protecting their health.

Last edited:
I hope most people wouldn't go to extremes like that.
I can't imagine the amounts people have been taking here, with not a thought for anyone else at all.
My buying is just one of this item maybe this month and another next month. Sort of slow and steady, and know when enough is enough.
I mean how much is sufficent for your needs really.
I don't see the need myself to have more than a couple of bottles of my fave violet and peony 1.5 litre laundry liquid for example, even if they are on special at a great price. They will last me for ages.
And also be willing to try another brand if your favourite is not available.
Difficult if you can only eat certain foods, it must be an awful time for some people. For instance there are only a couple of loaves of bread I can eat, and one of them I think has changed the recipe, probably due to shortages of the ingredients, but my tummy is not happy.

I have a friend who has her whole laundry packed with toilet paper and paper towels. She also has her undercover back veranda stacked with boxes of tinned goods and dry products because they wont fit in her cupboards in her house. She is 73 years old and lives alone.
When I showed surprise at her hoarding, she answered 'Eff you, I am not going to miss out on anything'. I don't get this attitude. There is enough for everyone.

The CDC specifically addresses asymptomatic positive workers continuing to work if assigned to the covid unit. The downside would be potentially infecting negative co-workers. Obviously they won’t be infecting already infected patients. As for other activities outside of work, the positive staff that I’ve known who were able to continue working literally did nothing else besides drive straight to work and straight home. A family member or friend put gas in their vehicle, they ordered groceries for delivery or someone dropped things off at the door, etc.

Health care workers aren’t idiots as a general rule and know a whole lot more about how to prevent spreading this disease that we’ve been neck-deep in since day one. I promise there’s not a positive health care workers out there continuing to work for any reason other than those patients quite literally would have nobody else to take care of them if they didn’t continue to show up. There’s nobody else to call, agencies have no help to come save us, and leaving 70-80-90+ year old elderly patients to fend for themselves simply isn’t in our nature.

So, yes, sometimes a positive health care worker continues to go to work to take care of covid patients. There aren’t a whole lot of folks out there who want to take the job.

I was very interested in this article so I subscribed to WSJ- it is like 1.00 a week for 9 weeks. I thought it was worth it. I have always worried that despite hospitals saying how they sanitized and all of that, that a patient could still contract the virus- and I am right. it is downright scary.

I've postponed all my medical visits.

Massachusetts joins 7-state compact to buy antigen tests from U.S. manufacturers

More at link
Massachusetts is one of seven states in talks with U.S. manufacturers to buy antigen tests, a diagnostic COVID-19 test that is known for producing faster, but less accurate results.

Massachusetts joined Maryland, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio and Virginia in an interstate compact with the Rockefeller to expand the use of antigen tests, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced Tuesday night. North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper later announced his plans to join the compact.

I've postponed all my medical visits.

This article seems to address hospital cases- as in inpatient and perhaps ER visits-
I have had to keep some medical appointments because i think they are important. Both myself and the medical provider wore masks ---- There are things i didn't do, for example I didn't go through with pulmonary function testing because there was no time between the last patient who did the test and myself and i didn't like that. If you have any medical issues (which i hope you don't), i would consider visiting your physician.
As I said, this article appears to address the hospital itself and the fact that although they attempted to sanitize and do all those things necessary to provide a safe environment as an inpatient, too many patients contracted the virus.

This Opinion piece from today’s New York Times illustrates how this pandemic will only grow worse as people experience COVID-19 fatigue and indulge in plain old selfishness (especially on the part of the cousin, who sounds like a, um, real prize for showing up for an unmasked family visit two days after getting tested without mentioning they were waiting for results). The author also bears some blame, of course—I was aghast at much socializing she and her family appear to be doing on a regular basis, and the cousin who visits and shortly afterward tests positive apparently came from “far away” and did not quarantine for 14 days as many out of state visitors to NY are required to do. Most concerning, the author seems to not grasp the simple fact that, in the absence of clear leadership and guidelines about avoiding the virus, the only really safe option is to be as conservative as possible. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
Opinion | After a Backyard Dinner, Coronavirus Chaos Ensues

I don't have that level of food stored and I have a family of 9 in my house. (My own family of 9 not just some random family of 9. lol) I do buy bulk things though and I don't consider it hoarding that I buy bulk grains from a bulk resaler in 25 lb bags or 5 gallon buckets etc. When the shops limit things here they are limiting with no regard to family size. It drives me nuts. So I buy bulk from places that sell bulk. Yesterday I bought half bushels and 10-20 lb bags of things from one place, directly from the farm actually.

Today I pick up meat from a place selling it in 40 lbs boxes. The meat place started up when the supply chain to the grocery stores were disrupted and the animals were being killed and just disposed of. Now local farms are just selling meat this way and skipping the middle man. And I don't have to deal with masses of packaging because I can only buy a small quantity of meat.

I'm the same. I've always tried to have enough to last awhile, of all kinds of household things, groceries etc.
Enough that if something happened, like getting ill, that you would be okay for a month at least.
So far I don't think I've hoarded anything, more like I have been buying a bit more of certain things like hand sanitiser etc, but just the odd bottle, every now and then so now I think I have enough to last for awhile.

My husband and i go to the grocery store almost every other day and I enjoy it since it is the only time i get out of the house!! I have also bought stuff that I think i may need in case the stuff hits the fan and the shelves get cleaned out again. I order these basics online from either Amazon or Walmart; i never want to be in a position again where i dont have toilet paper, towel paper, kleenex, alcohol and things like that. I also bought a couple of thermometers and i have a pulse oximeter ( i could not find these two items at all in March, April or May)- I had to shop on line to get a simple thing like a thermometer. I also bought some canned goods i normally would not buy just in case.

Over 10% of those dying in America this year (age 45 and older) died with Covid-19? Truly mind-boggling.

ETA: This conclusion is no longer verifiable using posted information at this site. I have no opinion as to the veracity of my own conclusion and have not been able to find verification online. What I do know, COVID-19 is much more likely to result in serious health consequences among those who become infected (aged 18 and older) who are immuno-compromised. A large percentage of the American population is at-risk and should be diligent in protecting their health.

A large portion of us are at risk because we are large. That's actually a more confirmed link than even autoimmune illnesses. And I do wonder if it's why we have more kids getting sick. After my lock down weight regain I'm trying hard to lose it here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p