CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

The UID from the attic next door was ruled out by the SF ME before Farrens DNA was located, so probably through dentals or the lack of broken wrists on the UID.

Farrens DNA is in there now so I'm not sure whether they automatically compare to the others.

The manager of the hotel from at least 1980 to the mid 90s was named CH. He remembered Farren when Farrens uncle called there in the mid 1990s.

<modsnip>

I haven't forgotten Farren, just ran out of ideas.

Hey Odyssey!

Good to see you back! I want to get back to studying Ferren's case. Thanks for remembering him and posting!

Satch

Last edited by a moderator:
UID #3 is still on Namus so still unidentified unfortunately. :(

I found Farren in the 1977 Grant Union High School yearbook, which was his junior year. He wasn't in either the 1978 or 1980 books.

Screenshot-20181111-232106-20181112003236032.jpg

Not useful in finding him, but just came across this letter to the editor written by Farren's aunt.

Rand went above and beyond

It adds the detail that she and her mother (Farren's grandmother) last saw him when they dropped him off at a campground

Welcome back Odyssey! I still think about what might have happened to Farren to this day. At least we now know the date of June 1980 as the last time they saw him.

Thanks for the update!

Satch

Not useful in finding him, but just came across this letter to the editor written by Farren's aunt.

Rand went above and beyond

It adds the detail that she and her mother (Farren's grandmother) last saw him when they dropped him off at a campground
Why would they drop him off at a camp ground near US Highway 395 in June of 1980 when the NamUs link and title here says he went missing in late April/May of 1980 after leaving home 9 months earlier? The dates don’t line up. Was he traveling with someone who was staying at the campground?

Malheur National Forest - Joaquin Miller Horse Camp

Not much to go on, on the UID site. 16 minutes drive from SF. Considering his probable missing dat I'm not sure a body could decompose that quick.

3377UMCA.jpg

Date of Discovery: July 28, 1980
Location of Discovery: Oakland, California
Estimated Date of Death: 1976-1980
State of Remains: Decomposed with only partial remains present
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 20-40 years old
Race: Unknown
Sex: Male
Height: 5' 7"-5' 9"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: None listed.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: None.
Jewelry: None.
Additional Personal Items: None.

Circumstances of Discovery
Discovered on the 2800 block of Helen Street in Oakland.

BTW, he also fits perfectly in the stats of Pillar Point John Doe. Identified but name still pending. JOHN DOE #83-26 / CASE #83-1063 | Coroner

San Mateo County Doe (1983)

Sex: Male
Race: Caucasian
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Short, brown
Facial Hair: None
Height: Approximately 5' 10"
Weight: Approximately 140 lbs

Clothing: Female clothing

What I remember in studying Farren's case a few years ago is that the #3 UID at this link was found right across the street from Farren's address in around April, 1980. I am fairly sure that it is indeed him: Sadly, too coincidental not to be him: Farren Stanberry

I have also uploaded the Name US ID information on UID #3. Thoughts?

Satch

Attachments

• Possible Ferren S. ID Information.jpg
    Possible Ferren S. ID Information.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 17
What I remember in studying Farren's case a few years ago is that the #3 UID at this link was found right across the street from Farren's address in around April, 1980. I am fairly sure that it is indeed him: Sadly, too coincidental not to be him: Farren Stanberry

Satch

PS. I thought the photo would be easier to see. Sorry about that! You may have to download the photo to your PC or device, than use the + photo enlarger viewer or zoom feature in your photo editing software to make the print bigger and easier to read.

Google Maps with a view of Farren's last known location (According to unclaimed property records.) 1139 Market Street as it looks today, Includes street view, map view, and Google Earth View from browsing and zooming:

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Satch

Satch

I read the thread yesterday and UID #3 seems to be found in a building situated on the same site as the National hotel where he supposedly stayed. Or do I mix things up.

Did somebody submit Stanberry back then, just to be sure. Is there somebody on the rule out list? @YaYa_521 would you be so kind to take a look. X It's about this John Doe
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Amazing research work all of you did. It must be said.

Last edited:
The UID from the attic next door was ruled out by the SF ME before Farrens DNA was located, so probably through dentals or the lack of broken wrists on the UID.

Farrens DNA is in there now so I'm not sure whether they automatically compare to the others.

The manager of the hotel from at least 1980 to the mid 90s was named CH. He remembered Farren when Farrens uncle called there in the mid 1990s.

<modsnip>

I haven't forgotten Farren, just ran out of ideas.

According to Odyssey the "attic guy" was ruled out being Farrens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the thread yesterday and UID #3 seems to be found in a building situated on the same site as the National hotel where he supposedly stayed. Or do I mix things up.

Did somebody submit Stanberry back then, just to be sure. Is there somebody on the rule out list? @YaYa_521 would you be so kind to take a look. X It's about this John Doe

Amazing research work all of you did. It must be said.
No problem, @Bit of hope. There are no exclusions listed.

He did tell me that both of Farren's wrists had been broken in the past.
RS&BBM
@Odyssey Have you considered suggesting to the LE investigator to add the detail about Farren's broken wrists to his NamUs profile? You and @Satch (with input from a few others) have done some amazing work here. I can't wait for the day when his thread will be tagged "located". I have no doubt that when it does, he'll have been found partly as a result of the work y'all have done. Great job! ;)

RS&BBM
@Odyssey Have you considered suggesting to the LE investigator to add the detail about Farren's broken wrists to his NamUs profile? You and @Satch (with input from a few others) have done some amazing work here. I can't wait for the day when his thread will be tagged "located". I have no doubt that when it does, he'll have been found partly as a result of the work y'all have done. Great job! ;)

Hello,

OK so just to clarify. @Odyssey researched and found that UID #3 (the "Attic Guy") across the street was ruled out as not being Farren? This is the first I heard about Farren's broken wrists. (OUCH!) Both wrists broken it would seem to me that he got in a fight at some time. Could it have been self-defense? Abused as a kid? Beat up because it was found out that he was gay? (Hate crime.) Farren seems to be more of a lover than a fighter. A free-spirited thinker and peace activist. A lot of times, people who are adventure seekers and follow things like the Hippie movement, just want to help people, make them happy, especially if they did not have happiness, or suffered emotional or physical trauma in their own lives.

Satch

Hello,

OK so just to clarify. @Odyssey researched and found that UID #3 (the "Attic Guy") across the street was ruled out as not being Farren? This is the first I heard about Farren's broken wrists. (OUCH!) Both wrists broken it would seem to me that he got in a fight at some time. Could it have been self-defense? Abused as a kid? Beat up because it was found out that he was gay? (Hate crime.) Farren seems to be more of a lover than a fighter. A free-spirited thinker and peace activist. A lot of times, people who are adventure seekers and follow things like the Hippie movement, just want to help people, make them happy, especially if they did not have happiness, or suffered emotional or physical trauma in their own lives.

Satch

It's good to know his wrists were broken. In principle a good identifier if they find his skeleton. If his body was "complete" they must have taken X-rays to see it. I'm not sure this is common procedure. I wonder why your first thoughts are that the broken wrists were the effect of an attack or abuse. It could have occurred because of a fall or accident.

Although I like your idea of him being a guy like you lay out (a lover, helping people, adventure seeking etc. except from the trauma) but how did you come to that idea?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back