Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are Americans acting like the pandemic has passed? Are they not aware of the southern states and the rising count? Have they not heard the death predictions by the end of the year? Don't they know that some states that reopened are now shutting down? How do we get people to take this seriously?
The Pandemic Isn’t Over. We Need to Act Accordingly

I don’t think it’s possible.

I had hopes but after several months, I realize it’s not going to happen.

I have friends point to multiple news articles about a family got it even after taking all precautions, it’s a mystery how they got it - “so we are all going to get it anyway” is their mantra. They tell me “those people have NO idea where they got it and the article says they wore masks and stayed home, so what’s the point”. Sigh

An 80 year old neighbor refuses to wear a mask and is planning his annual trip to Gatlingburg and Branson. And the care facility where his first wife died two miles down the road had 20 new cases today. On top of the 15 reported 3 days ago.

They focus on the death numbers.
Not the ones that “recovered” who possibly will never fully recover.

JMO

I don’t think it’s possible.

I had hopes but after several months, I realize it’s not going to happen.

I have friends point to multiple news articles about a family got it even after taking all precautions, it’s a mystery how they got it - “so we are all going to get it anyway” is their mantra. They tell me “those people have NO idea where they got it and the article says they wore masks and stayed home, so what’s the point”. Sigh

An 80 year old neighbor refuses to wear a mask and is planning his annual trip to Gatlingburg and Branson. And the care facility where his first wife died two miles down the road had 20 new cases today. On top of the 15 reported 3 days ago.

They focus on the death numbers.
Not the ones that “recovered” who possibly will never fully recover.

JMO

You read these stories where people say they did "everything" -- took all precautions and got the virus anyway and i get nervous- then i wonder what the story really is--i keep thinking they must have done something, maybe they aren't aware what they did to expose themself to the virus but i can't help but wondering --can you do everything possible and still get it and I think, yeah, because there are no guarantees even with masks, even with fanatic hand washing---the virus can still creep in and infect me. and that depresses and terrifies me.

I have a friend who theorized that public support for Covid restrictions would collapse when school started and $600 checks stopped. It's starting to look like he was correct. His business takes him to people's homes and, this week, he had eight straight calls where he wasn't asked to wear a mask. He also notice only a few cars at a Covid Testing Station by his house. I just got back from Walmart and saw a large percentage of patrons with masks pulled down. Are you guys noticing similar?

A couple of days ago, I saw a man without a mask and it was rather startling because it's so rare. My first thought was that maybe he didn't have one.

In these parts, N. ON., there's a bit of excitement that goes along with wearing a mask. People have embraced it.

Did your friend do the 8 housecalls without wearing a mask?

Third of Americans would say 'no' to COVID vaccine - even if it was free

More than a third of Americans say they would not get a COVID-19 vaccine right now, even if were free and FDA-approved, according to a new Gallup poll.

Political party affiliation is the biggest difference-maker as 81% of Democrats said they would get a vaccine, while less than half of Republicans, 47%, said they would get the vaccine.

White Americans are more likely than non-White Americans to say they would get a vaccine if it was available, 67% to 59%. That’s despite the fact that “some racial and ethnic minority groups are being disproportionately affected by COVID-19,” as the CDC puts it.

I will be skeptical if a vaccine comes out too soon (like by the end of the year): vaccines takes years ---how could it be ready for people in a year???

You read these stories where people say they did "everything" -- took all precautions and got the virus anyway and i get nervous- then i wonder what the story really is--i keep thinking they must have done something, maybe they aren't aware what they did to expose themself to the virus but i can't help but wondering --can you do everything possible and still get it and I think, yeah, because there are no guarantees even with masks, even with fanatic hand washing---the virus can still creep in and infect me. and that depresses and terrifies me.
Yes, I do everything possible but if an infected coworker decides to use my phone or keyboard when I step away and I don’t know it? You can do everything right but have some other idiot ruin everything.

Yes, I do everything possible but if an infected coworker decides to use my phone or keyboard when I step away and I don’t know it? You can do everything right but have some other idiot ruin everything.

You are right: that is a realistic situation that can happen--- sigh- it is so depressing

I will be skeptical if a vaccine comes out too soon (like by the end of the year): vaccines takes years ---how could it be ready for people in a year???
Because so many countries are working on them together and are being funded very generously, not having to apply for grants and wait for approval for university labs as is the case normally.

They're not really that special, have been around since traditional tv began. They are cheap to buy, the only change was that years ago they got changed to pick up digital signals. And with a set top box you can pick up more of the new channels that have been added.

Not where I live. I've heard of special antennas

Last edited by a moderator:
They're not really that special, have been around since traditional tv began. They are cheap to buy, the only change was that years ago they got changed to pick up digital signals. And with a set top box you can pick up more of the new channels that have been added.

Where I live, even with the special antenna we can't even get all 3 major network channels. We can, however, get several completely useless channels with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not TV, but I bought one of those internet radios which I use quite a lot, because being out in the country we have less choice in radio stations.
I listen to ABC News 24 quite a lot, but don't when Parliament is on and takes over. I got tired of the arguing lol.

With the Internet radio ABC News 24 continues with it regular programmes. Plus you can listen to radio stations all over the world
I listen to stations in the UK, I like the BBC programmes plus some from The US, and France, plus Australian stations.

The precautions reduce the risk, not eliminate it entirely. People should understand that and I think that they do, but do not want to admit it.

Not TV, but I bought one of those internet radios which I use quite a lot, because being out in the country we have less choice in radio stations.
I listen to ABC News 24 quite a lot, but don't when Parliament is on and takes over. I got tired of the arguing lol.

With the Internet radio ABC News 24 continues with it regular programmes. Plus you can listen to radio stations all over the world
I listen to stations in the UK, I like the BBC programmes plus some from The US, and France, plus Australian stations.
I live between Australia and the UK. I have been in the UK since just before Christmas because I have two much older than me, sisters in the UK. I decided to stay in the UK when the virus came to help them out and allow them to completly isolate. I live with them (one never married, one widowed young) shop for them, speak to doctors on the phone to get their prescriptions, and I try to keep my trips out to a minimum because I am not young either.
It has been a rewarding experience for me and I think, for them. I have never stayed this long before and we have laughed, played cards, done crafts, cooked and eaten together. When I do go back to Australia, I could be locked in and never see them again, so I am glad that I stayed with them.
And after saying all that, I forgot to add the reason for my post. I listen to BBC World Service (until it is all football) and Radio National in Australia.

This week's comments from the World Health Organisation that we may never have a "silver bullet" for coronavirus were difficult to hear.

But many experts say we needed this wake-up call, so we could start imagining our future without a vaccine.

"It needed to happen. That bubble needed to be burst to say 'hey we're not going to see any changes over the next couple of years so strap in'," says Bruce Thompson, dean of health sciences at Swinburne University.

There doesn't need to be a vaccine to get on top of COVID-19 and the way in which Australia more or less eliminated HIV (through safe sex practices and a prophylaxis drug) is evidence of just that, he says.

A coronavirus vaccine is what our hopes are pinned to, but what's the plan if we don't get one?

Last edited:
I think that's wonderful you staying and having that time with your sisters. I'm sure they appreciate you being there.
And it's something you'll always have in your memories, that time together.

My youngest daughter spent a few years teaching in the UK, and loved the experience, and got to travel to places she may not have.
Of course everything is different now with lockdowns and concern about the virus even if you're not in lockdown.

You sound like me, as soon as sport comes on, on the radio or tv, I change to something else. I don't mind it on the news, it's just when it goes on too long and they play extended replays of the game, or what seems to be the whole game in the sports news.

Radio National is one of my three fave ABC stations on my main radio in the kitchen, the others are ABC News 24 and ABC Classic, but I do like a lot of different kinds of music as well.
Re sport I'm not totally disinterested.
I quite like the games, Olympic and Commonwealth and went through a phase of watching and enjoying the Tour de France, I think though it was more because my friend liked it.
Maybe I was more into looking out for lovely old homes and enjoying the scenery than actually watching the cyclists.
And I don't like watching anything that might involve someone getting hurt.
I have to say I'm not really that patriotic when it comes to sport.
Sometimes an overseas team, and maybe some from small islands, and they're almost sure to not win.
I feel so sorry for them and think wouldn't it mean the world to them to have a win. Of course you don't say that out loud :)

It has been a rewarding experience for me and I think, for them. I have never stayed this long before and we have laughed, played cards, done crafts, cooked and eaten together. When I do go back to Australia, I could be locked in and never see them again, so I am glad that I stayed with them.
And after saying all that, I forgot to add the reason for my post. I listen to BBC World Service (until it is all football) and Radio National in Australia.

Ohio is doing contact tracing. Every presser DeWine shares how and where the contact tracing leads to. IMO it's very informative and gives us an idea of places to avoid.

Coronavirus contact tracing anecdotes show 50 Ohio bars associated with outbreaks since July 1

So, they contact trace the geographical source of the infection .... in this case 50 Ohio bars. Do you know what follows from then?

Do they then locate and notify all persons who have been to that geographical location during the time that the infected person(s) was there? Do they have those notified persons isolate for 14 days? Do they close down those geographical locations for deep cleaning before they can re-open?

As this is the true nature of proper contact tracing.

Last edited:
I think that's wonderful you staying and having that time with your sisters. I'm sure they appreciate you being there.
And it's something you'll always have in your memories, that time together.

My youngest daughter spent a few years teaching in the UK, and loved the experience, and got to travel to places she may not have.
Of course everything is different now with lockdowns and concern about the virus even if you're not in lockdown.

You sound like me, as soon as sport comes on, on the radio or tv, I change to something else. I don't mind it on the news, it's just when it goes on too long and they play extended replays of the game, or what seems to be the whole game in the sports news.

Radio National is one of my three fave ABC stations on my main radio in the kitchen, the others are ABC News 24 and ABC Classic, but I do like a lot of different kinds of music as well.
Re sport I'm not totally disinterested.
I quite like the games, Olympic and Commonwealth and went through a phase of watching and enjoying the Tour de France, I think though it was more because my friend liked it.
Maybe I was more into looking out for lovely old homes and enjoying the scenery than actually watching the cyclists.
And I don't like watching anything that might involve someone getting hurt.
I have to say I'm not really that patriotic when it comes to sport.
Sometimes an overseas team, and maybe some from small islands, and they're almost sure to not win.
I feel so sorry for them and think wouldn't it mean the world to them to have a win. Of course you don't say that out loud :)
Me too.

Now that you mention it, I rarely watch live tv these days. I only turn it on to watch tv programmes that I've recorded.
Plus to watch On Demand from ABC and SBS. The Australian ABC not the US one.
I think the last time I watched live tv an election was on last year. And then it only lasted 5 minutes before I turned it off and watched the same channels internet coverage which had extra features, and it had live updates.

When that happens, I'll still just stream it. For "free." I pay for internet anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member