Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my first instinct too but it's SUCH an unusual name. RCIA is a process only for adults so the person listed in the bulletin is not going to be, for example, a child who is otherwise not searchable through online sources like WhitePages. So if there's another adult Marilane Carter in the area, I'm thinking there should be records that can be found?

That's what I was thinking as well. I wasn't able to find any other MC in the area, but it doesn't mean there isn't one. FWIW, however, the church from the bulletin happens to be about a 7 minute drive south of a home in which she is listed as co-owner. MOO
Location Maps & Information
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Searched the name Marilane Carter on several sources and all of the searches connect to the missing mom. I think it's unlikely that there are two women with the same unusual name living minutes from each other, jmo.

My DIL has an unusual name. She is from Birmingham. What are the chances that another girl from Birmingham would have the same first and last name as DIL and they know each other? Well there is one. Was with DIL at the mall when they ran in to each other.

Samford is a private college with Baptist roots. My son graduated from there. While conservative, they are not in the same strictness as Liberty University or Bob Jones.

My DIL has an unusual name. She is from Birmingham. What are the chances that another girl from Birmingham would have the same first and last name as DIL and they know each other? Well there is one. Was with DIL at the mall when they ran in to each other.

Samford is a private college with Baptist roots. My son graduated from there. While conservative, they are not in the same strictness as Liberty University or Bob Jones.
The difference is the statistical odds. The population sizes of both areas. Leawood pop was 31k vs Birmingham 209k.

Additionally, someone posted the conversion info to the group and although many other items have been commented on by family, this has not.
This is really big step theologically. Without sleuthing family, is it possible that Marilane's family of origin Catholic & she is returning to that tradition? Was her late fiance Catholic? The RCIA does take time.

Pastor Carter must truly have his game-face on.

If you read that church bulletin completely, you'll notice a memorial Mass for Layne Mays as well:

KS - Layne Mays, 22, murdered by her brother, 27, Overland Park 14 Jan 2020
Without sleuthing family, that is exactly what I’m wondering.

The difference is the statistical odds. The population sizes of both areas. Leawood pop was 31k vs Birmingham 209k.

Additionally, someone posted the conversion info to the group and although many other items have been commented on by family, this has not.

Without sleuthing family, that is exactly what I’m wondering.

If her family origin background was Catholic, IMO she would not have needed
to undergo the rite of initiation. She would have already been baptized as an infant and confirmed as a child. To return to the Catholic faith, she would have simply resumed attending masses and observing sacraments.

If her family origin background was Catholic, IMO she would not have needed
to undergo the rite of initiation. She would have already been baptized as an infant and confirmed as a child. To return to the Catholic faith, she would have simply resumed attending masses and observing sacraments.
Thank you! I did not realize that.

That’s a really good find. I have no idea how you found it from what I posted but I’m glad you did. I’ll be trying to learn the same sleuthing skills. I wish we knew what school district.

I looked at who made comments on her husband's video. Clicked on the name and her video popped up. Totally random find. :)

Last edited:
Thank you! I did not realize that.

Yes, the RCIA is for adults who had a different faith background (or no faith background) growing up. Or if your family for whatever reason didn't have you go through faith formation as a child and you sort of "came back to" Catholicism on your own as an adult but this would be rare. Commonly it's for people who have married a Catholic individual and are converting for that reason (it's no longer required for non-Catholic spouses to convert but some people just like to be on the same page as their spouse). This is obviously not the reason here so if it's the same Marilane it is quite interesting to say the least.

If you look up her name on “how many of me” website shows 2 or fewer people in the US with her first and last name.

My own name, which is not especially unusual but kind of old-fashioned, shows just one lol. So her unusual first name cancels out her popular last name...making it seem likely the item refers to her, imo.

This was my first instinct too but it's SUCH an unusual name. RCIA is a process only for adults so the person listed in the bulletin is not going to be, for example, a child who is otherwise not searchable through online sources like WhitePages. So if there's another adult Marilane Carter in the area, I'm thinking there should be records that can be found?

It is an unusual name, but a Baptist woman married to a Baptist pastor converting to RC, is far more unusual.

jmo

From your link, I found a video Marilane made on May 5, 2020.

So Marilane is trying to become an elementary school teacher? No one mentioned that in all the details released about her.

She mentioned an application, this was back in May. I wonder if she was turned down recently and that hit her hard?

Just an aside, even if her lips are smiling, her eyes aren't. Something very sad there.

I just have to say I truly hope she is ok. I also think this thread is a real example of the huge benefit of our community here at WS. We have all worked together and put pieces of this puzzle together, in a kind and appropriate way.

What we have learned was hopefully all known to her family and LE. To me, it is concerning because she has clearly been through a lot. From losing a fiancé, counseling or interning with psychiatric care facilities for children, being a chaplain, three small children in the span of 5 or 6 years I think, moving from family, being a ministers wife, applying to be a teacher and converting to Catholicism. All of this says to me that she indeed must be a loving, caring, and “people pleasing” personality. I do pray she is ok.

The one thing we haven’t talked about is her leaving her kids behind. This is concerning to me. It could mean she was indeed headed for treatment, or possibly she was running from an immediate problem yet assumed they would be ok. Not communicating with them since, is really concerning.

I’ve been hoping she is with her former fiancée’s family. I hope all of their favorite places and memories are being searched.

I also noted that on her Facebook and in other places I’ve read she went to College of Charleston. I wonder if there are any connections to people or places from there that she may have returned to symbolically.

In recent cases I’ve followed the missing vehicle ended up being found in a garage.

Question- it’s been said her last phone ping was on the walking trail under the bridge. I’m surprised they can tell it was under the bridge. I would think it would be hard to tell if on or under? Anyone have further ideas on this?

So Marilane is trying to become an elementary school teacher? No one mentioned that in all the details released about her.

She mentioned an application, this was back in May. I wonder if she was turned down recently and that hit her hard?

Just an aside, even if her lips are smiling, her eyes aren't. Something very sad there.
I agree... I wondered if it was an application for a position AWAY from her home. Possibly this was a sad yet needed step? Maybe someone should share this with her family or LE?

I agree... I wondered if it was an application for a position AWAY from her home. Possibly this was a sad yet needed step? Maybe someone should share this with her family or LE?
Good idea. Hope you did it.

Now I am wondering if that is the reason for Birmingham to be on the radar? Her husband said in yesterday's interview he was there because he wanted to be there in case she was heading that way and to help her. I think I also read that her BIL said that Birmingham was on her radar...

I think AC has likely been frank with LE about Marilane and where she's at in her head right now. I'm grateful posters are not pointing fingers or bashing him. I'm worried about Marilane and her safety given what we have found. But on the flip side of that, I'm sensing it's also been hard for those who are very intimate with her. It's not fair to dissect a family when we don't really know the dynamics involved.

We have a young married couple at Church with a child, who my husband and I have mentored in life group. The young woman has mental health issues and is on medication to treat. I'll just say this, the struggle is real and very difficult to watch.

This case feels a little more personal than most for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd