CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

The camping ground was in Malheur National Forest. How ironic....it means setback in French.
Could she have meant that Damon Rand searched for Farren back in 1980. And something went wrong with interpunction. (dot and capital used on the beginning of the sentence)

Should it read He accepted the responsibility of searching for my missing nephew, Farren Stanberry, back in June 1980. My mom etc.

farren-stanberry-missing-letter-jpg.258812
Yes that could be but it’s still strange that this is the first time we hear that she and her mother dropped him off at that campground. Also it was edited several months after it was first published so one would think if there was anything wrong she would have corrected the editor the second time around.

Yes it does. I do tend to believe her though. She was there and also places her mother (his grandmother) there. Why would she be confused about that? It certainly throws the whole timeline off. It also makes me wonder if there was someone else involved who was waiting at that campground to take him to San Francisco. I guess we will never know unless someone interviews her.

Good points, let me add to what we need to know that I don't think we know currently:

1.) Why was Ferran going to this campsite?
2.) Why is the timeline different for almost three months when Ferran disappeared?
3.) Why is there no mention of Farren's birth parents or extended family members, (at least that I know of) through website research? Additionally, we can barely find anything else about Ferran.
4.) What percentage do you put out there that Ferran may still be alive?
5.) Do you think that he wanted to disappear for some time?
6.) Do you find it odd that his interest in "Seeing the World" was not met with at least some resistance? Ferren was legal age, but that is awfully young to be traveling the world.
7.) What hobbies or interests did Ferran have in his "See the World" pursuits? What cities/ states did he want to visit? Did he let anyone else in on his travel plans?

Satch

Maybe he started a new live...I really hope so and he is happy. In my mind something happened to him, because he left everything behind. Just leaving, yes, because of the money he owned for the rent, but why not take your personal belongings with you...leave it just like that....it doesn't sound like a logical thing to do to me. And I still see suicide as a possible. Leaving everything behind you, you don't need stuff in death.....

It could have been that Farren was transgender. They will often leave their old gender (and entire former identity) behind and if Farren was living a transient lifestyle at that time if might not be out of the question that he didn't confide in anyone.. Transgender people are not as accepted as LGB ones today -- let alone in 1980. He might have thought his family wouldn't understand, either.

Good points, let me add to what we need to know that I don't think we know currently:

1.) Why was Ferran going to this campsite?
2.) Why is the timeline different for almost three months when Ferran disappeared?
3.) Why is there no mention of Farren's birth parents or extended family members, (at least that I know of) through website research? Additionally, we can barely find anything else about Ferran.
4.) What percentage do you put out there that Ferran may still be alive?
5.) Do you think that he wanted to disappear for some time?
6.) Do you find it odd that his interest in "Seeing the World" was not met with at least some resistance? Ferren was legal age, but that is awfully young to be traveling the world.
7.) What hobbies or interests did Ferran have in his "See the World" pursuits? What cities/ states did he want to visit? Did he let anyone else in on his travel plans?

Satch

Correction: Question 2 should read "two months" not three. But the inquiry remains the same?

Satch

We may have something here!

Many believe that Farren misspoke when he said he was staying at "The International Hotel." His last known address belongs to "The National Hotel." This is now part of a housing development called the "Tenderloin Housing Clinic" which provides support services for the homeless in San Francisco:

Taken from Website:

Summary of the Property
The National Hotel was acquired by THC in April 2017 and is the product of a partnership with the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing. The National Hotel is home to those who have previously faced chronic homelessness. The National Hotel offers 90 units of permanent supportive housing to San Francisco residents in critical need.

The clinic itself is here with the address right on the front page! WOW!

Housing Portfolio - National Hotel

This tells me several things. That Farren's last known location in San Francisco was NOT by accident. His last known address links to this hotel! Throughout the course of his travels, he knew of this place, and I think that it is more than coincidental that this is now a homeless shelter. There are several links above and below the page. We need to find someone who has a history of the property back around May-June 1980. If we could track down someone in management or get an insider person on this case to the forum, maybe we could even learn something about the young men with whom Farren was staying with at the hotel. Perhaps San Francisco's City Hall may have some information?

Farren certainly talked with these other young men, and it is a stretch going back forty years, but all we would need is one source who remembers Farren and has some recall of his discussions with him. Like I said, it is a long shot, but at least we have the building website, the current owners, and history of the location!

Click on "History" at the bottom of the website, "The Tenderloin Housing Clinic" was founded in 1980! The same year that Farren Stanberry disappeared!

Satch

Last edited:
We may have something here!

Many believe that Farren misspoke when he said he was staying at "The International Hotel." His last known address belongs to "The National Hotel." This is now part of a housing development called the "Tenderloin Housing Clinic" which provides support services for the homeless in San Francisco:

Taken from Website:

Summary of the Property
The National Hotel was acquired by THC in April 2017 and is the product of a partnership with the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing. The National Hotel is home to those who have previously faced chronic homelessness. The National Hotel offers 90 units of permanent supportive housing to San Francisco residents in critical need.

The clinic itself is here with the address right on the front page! WOW!

Housing Portfolio - National Hotel

This tells me several things. That Farren's last known location in San Francisco was NOT by accident. His last known address links to this hotel! Throughout the course of his travels, he knew of this place, and I think that it is more than coincidental that this is now a homeless shelter. There are several links above and below the page. We need to find someone who has a history of the property back around May-June 1980. If we could track down someone in management or get an insider person on this case to the forum, maybe we could even learn something about the young men with whom Farren was staying with at the hotel. Perhaps San Francisco's City Hall may have some information?

Farren certainly talked with these other young men, and it is a stretch going back forty years, but all we would need is one source who remembers Farren and has some recall of his discussions with him. Like I said, it is a long shot, but at least we have the building website, the current owners, and history of the location!

Click on "History" at the bottom of the website, "The Tenderloin Housing Clinic" was founded in 1980! The same year that Farren Stanberry disappeared!

Satch

I'm confused now. They are messing up the names of this hotel big time. This hotel is also called the National Hotel Budget Inn.The address was at least until 2014 (people wrote about it) a Budget Inn.
BUDGET INN (San Francisco, Californië) - foto's en reviews - Tripadvisor
I can't find the date the National Hotel became the Budget Inn and was sold to the new owners.
According to this lawsuit it must have been at least 2011.
CUD11635714 SHREE JALARAM LODGING LP DBA BUDGET INN VS. GARY A. PAIGE et al

1980 The Tenderloin Housing Clinic opened as a volunteer operation in a one-room office building in Glide Memorial Church, so not on the address on Market street.

The National Hotel <still confused because it was a Budget Inn by then) was acquired by THC in April 2017 and is the product of a partnership with the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing. The National Hotel is home to those who have previously faced chronic homelessness. The National Hotel offers 90 units of permanent supportive housing to San Francisco residents in critical need.

This hotel is also called the National Hotel Budget Inn.

This is a case where the Budget Inn and there owners are mentioned.
Thomas v. Shree Jalaram LLC, Case No. 18-cv-06409-LB | Casetext Search + Citator

The plaintiff moved into the National Hotel Budget Inn ("the Hotel") in San Francisco, California in November 2012. The Hotel " was overrun with bedbugs, roaches, mice, and rats.

The plaintiff "filed scores of complaints with [the] Department of Building Inspection and the Department of Public Health between 2014 and 2018." In July 2015, he was "the lead Plaintiff" in a lawsuit about "habitability issues" at the Hotel.

In December, 2016, Tenderloin Housing Clinics ("THC") took over the management of the Hotel and converted it into "supportive housing." Mr. T. alleges that the THC clients brought "needles, sexual liaisons, bedbugs, roaches, noise, dogs, and visitors" to the building and turned it into a "safe-injection site." Mr. T. asked THC "about housing in a building that wasn't 'supportive housing;' but THC never responded." He alleges that THC "has a history of churning tenants in order to get higher rents.

this-is-the-hotel-itself.jpg

Up-thread Odyssey wrote that in the 80's the National Hotel was under "gay management".

Last edited:
Hey,

I found out that Farren's Aunt Sandra still lives in John Day Oregon according to whitepages.com. We can not post the address here for privacy reasons, but in my early research, this seems to be the only relative of Farren's that is out there. Maybe a moderator would have some ideas of how to contact her? If somebody wants to PM that information to Websleuth staff. Maybe they could get some connection from John Day Oregon LE. As I understand, it is a TOS violation to contact victim family members on Websleith's.

But if an inside contact could contact her, in all honesty it's the only connection that we are going to have regarding what communication she had with Farren when she claimed that she and her Mom dropped him off at the campsite.

My concern is that if this inside connection is not at least attempted to contact her, this case is never going to be solved. Anything that can help Farren and bring some closure.

So that several people don't contact a moderator with the same request for inside information, I would suggest just one person saying, "I PM'ed a mod about reaching out to Farren's Aunt." Than the moderator staff can decide where to go from there and may choose to respond or not to this thread. I hope what I am posting is OK. I think it is our best bet for closure. At least we would know what Ferren and his Aunt talked about that day, and her Mother based on what Sandra remembers. (if insiders could reach out to Farren's Aunt.)

Thinking of Farren,

Satch

Hey,

I found out that Farren's Aunt Sandra still lives in John Day Oregon according to whitepages.com. We can not post the address here for privacy reasons, but in my early research, this seems to be the only relative of Farren's that is out there. Maybe a moderator would have some ideas of how to contact her? If somebody wants to PM that information to Websleuth staff. Maybe they could get some connection from John Day Oregon LE. As I understand, it is a TOS violation to contact victim family members on Websleith's.

But if an inside contact could contact her, in all honesty it's the only connection that we are going to have regarding what communication she had with Farren when she claimed that she and her Mom dropped him off at the campsite.

My concern is that if this inside connection is not at least attempted to contact her, this case is never going to be solved. Anything that can help Farren and bring some closure.

So that several people don't contact a moderator with the same request for inside information, I would suggest just one person saying, "I PM'ed a mod about reaching out to Farren's Aunt." Than the moderator staff can decide where to go from there and may choose to respond or not to this thread. I hope what I am posting is OK. I think it is our best bet for closure. At least we would know what Ferren and his Aunt talked about that day, and her Mother based on what Sandra remembers. (if insiders could reach out to Farren's Aunt.)

Thinking of Farren,

Satch

What happened to DC, Aunt Sandra's husband? Has he passed, did he stop looking?

Last edited:
Let me blow up the picture of Farren and upload it updated to the site.

Satch

I agree with the above,

The right side of Farren's nose does look like it was broken at some time. At the very least, it looks misshapen. His nostrils are not symmetrical. Below is a blown-up image. What a nice looking kid, spare the possible nose injury.

Satch

Attachments

• Farren S. Photo.jpg
    Farren S. Photo.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 15
I agree with the above,

The right side of Farren's nose does look like it was broken at some time. At the very least, it looks misshapen. His nostrils are not symmetrical. Below is a blown-up image. What a nice looking kid, spare the possible nose injury.

Satch

Thanks! I agree, he has a kind face.

Thanks! I agree, he has a kind face.

Slightly OT, I am watching the movie "Oliver!" and the actor who plays him Mark Lester, kind of reminds me of Farren at a young age! It actually looks like Farren could play "Oliver" in a musical production!

On a more serious side though, I am now concerned about the possibility of broken nose and broken wrists. From where did the report of Farren's broken wrists originate? Was this from @Odyssey's research? Do we have a link?

I want to learn more about Farren's parents and his childhood. The burning question:

Why was Farren given to his grandmother and aunt to raise?

Satch

Slightly OT, I am watching the movie "Oliver!" and the actor who plays him Mark Lester, kind of reminds me of Farren at a young age! It actually looks like Farren could play "Oliver" in a musical production!

On a more serious side though, I am now concerned about the possibility of broken nose and broken wrists. From where did the report of Farren's broken wrists originate? Was this from @Odyssey's research? Do we have a link?

I want to learn more about Farren's parents and his childhood. The burning question:

Why was Farren given to his grandmother and aunt to raise?

Satch

Odessey talked to a detective and he told this. Post #142

I just spoke with the person in Oregon handling Farren's case. He has been told by the San Francisco ME's office that UID#3 is not Farren.

He did tell me that both of Farren's wrists had been broken in the past.

I wondered about his upbringing too. They are no statements about that anywhere as far as I know. Because the word raised is used in sources my feeling is that he has been with them from an early age, but we don't know. There could be so many reasons why his grandmother raised him and not his mother....I think there is nothing on that to protect the mother and the family for some reason. I wonder if his mother is one of the 3 daughters mentioned in Beulah's obituary, which would mean IMO there is no huge family conflict involved. But it's also possible there is a fourth daughter, not mentioned.

I just spoke with the person in Oregon handling Farren's case. He has been told by the San Francisco ME's office that UID#3 is not Farren.

He is trying to track down the DNA sample, there are no updates on that yet.

As far as the timeline, the official missing date he has is April 26, 1980, although he agrees that it contradicts some of the other information. He was not sure if that is the date he called his grandmother or the date she learned he had left the hotel. He said the initial report isn't very helpful, and he has been relying on the news articles for the most part.

He did tell me that both of Farren's wrists had been broken in the past.

He does not know what happened to Farren's belongings after he disappeared, or who he was living with at the hotel. He doesn't know the hotel manager's name either. I may request the court records from that 1981 lawsuit and see if I can find that manager. He may be the only person who would have any additional information.

We discussed UID#1 and he is going to call down to the ME and ask them to look into it.

I am a little stunned, I felt really confident that UID #3 was him.

Here is Odyssey's full message above,

Looking forward to any updates!

Satch

For those new to the case, here is @Odyssey's article on Ferren. We now know that UID #3 is not him:

Farren Stanberry (Turn on Reader View in your browser for larger print.) I also researched and Odyssey believes that Ferren most likely committed suicide, but that other factors should be considered.

Satch

Last edited:
A short paper I wrote about Farren's case. Please comment:

Farren Stanberry Thoughts.docx

Satch

I like it! It's a good resume of the case. There is nothing in it that makes me think twice actually. There is only this

We don’t know if the last conversation was the phone call, or the ride to the campground with Farren’s Aunt and her Mother.
Looking at the info and the timeline my interpretation is that the last contact was a phonecall from SF.

I would also take some reserve on the story about his uncle was told that he visited a gay men in the hotel. Using the word allegedly for instance.

IIRR His mother seemed to have some of his own money. imo that makes it even stranger she refused to send it to him....

What are you planning on doing with it?

I like it! It's a good resume of the case. There is nothing in it that makes me think twice actually. There is only this

We don’t know if the last conversation was the phone call, or the ride to the campground with Farren’s Aunt and her Mother.
Looking at the info and the timeline my interpretation is that the last contact was a phonecall from SF.

I would also take some reserve on the story about his uncle was told that he visited a gay men in the hotel. Using the word allegedly for instance.

IIRR His mother seemed to have some of his own money. imo that makes it even stranger she refused to send it to him....

What are you planning on doing with it?

Just to use it as a reference for everybody on the case.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back