Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found that even when one of your favourite foods come back, sometimes it's not the same.

I'd found a new block of cheese that I really liked, and found myself in the kitchen a lot more cutting slices off.
It was a few dollars more than I thought was my limit on how much I wanted to pay, but that was soon forgotten.
Anyway due to hoarders, it disappeared for months, then came back with a slightly different name and finally the correct name one was back.
Except it's not the same. It's now so bland and I no longer want to make those trips to the kitchen.
I don't even like it in sandwiches and that says a lot because I usually love cheese sandwiches and mostly enjoy all kinds of cheese that way.
What I think is that due to the shortage of some ingredients, they've either substituted something or omitted something.

And the hunt for a replacement is on my list.

I’m doing the same- I love Boar’s Head smoked Gouda w/ bacon, but lately it’s hit & miss at the commissary-

Yep. It’s taken me six weeks to find broth. I JUST recently found the rice I like. This is checking almost every day for weeks, months. I ordered broth twice, only to later get refunded for no stock. (No pun intended).

See, you can “order” it, but whether or not you actually get it is another story.

For me, it’s also extra challenging because I’ve trained myself not to eat stuff out of a box for the most part. I’m used to cooking things fresh from scratch. I’m always looking for no msg, gluten, high sodium, high fructose corn syrup, modified food starch, preservatives, chemicals, etc. So there is even more challenge for me there. I had to eat less desirable stuff there in March bc that was all they had. I don’t want to get stuck with that come winter.

Homemade stock with wine, veggies, herbs is great. But if there’s no chicken, or produce...also, I add broth to the canned goods to make it go further, otherwise one can of soup barely fills me up. It will also be handy for other recipes come winter.

Lehman's in Kidron, Ohio has broth still available for mail order, but it is pricey. They have some other pantry foods, soups, etc. They work with the Ohio Amish community in their region of the state and have their own products as well, and ship nationally.

And they have a Vegetable Base and a Garlic Base! Yummy and lasts forever.

Totally did not expect to find a klatch of Better Than Bouillon evangelists on Websleuths, but I am delighted to find it exists!

The BTB clam base makes a delicious broth for chowders and seafood stews, and I add a dab of the roasted garlic paste to veggies when i sautée or roast them—love the flavor of roasted garlic but hate the mess of actually doing it myself! My all-time favorite of theirs, though, is the No-Chicken flavor, which can be hard to find but which is an absolute godsend for me, as someone who does not eat chicken but loves (fake) chicken noodle soup and (fake) chicken pot pie!

CSA Day! Tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, red cabbage, peppers, onions, cantaloupe, cucumbers. Eggs.
Well that is better than my produce today. I cracked up when I opened the bags. I can only eat the tomatoes and garlic. Except I already had 2 bags of peeled garlic. I’m allergic to mushrooms, have no use for limes and not a fan of peppers.

None of it went to waste tho. My friends daughter has 3 hungry little preteen boys. Their 49 year old Dad had a stroke a month ago. We’re all pitching in to help. This was one way I can help so I was happy to share.

Attachments

• 385EB627-2AC1-4501-B0F8-AAE58A77B920.jpeg
    385EB627-2AC1-4501-B0F8-AAE58A77B920.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 32
BTB is really the best. I've used them for years and love them.

I discovered BTB several years ago and have tried different kinds. My favorite is the mushroom, but I also have beef and chicken on hand all the time. The garlic was a bit overpowering, so I didn't replace that after I finished the jar. A teaspoon of BTB stirred into a cup of hot water makes a nice warm beverage during the winter :)

Better Than Bouillon - A Southeastern Mills Brand

Last edited:
Totally did not expect to find a klatch of Better Than Bouillon evangelists on Websleuths, but I am delighted to find it exists!

The BTB clam base makes a delicious broth for chowders and seafood stews, and I add a dab of the roasted garlic paste to veggies when i sautée or roast them—love the flavor of roasted garlic but hate the mess of actually doing it myself! My all-time favorite of theirs, though, is the No-Chicken flavor, which can be hard to find but which is an absolute godsend for me, as someone who does not eat chicken but loves (fake) chicken noodle soup and (fake) chicken pot pie!

I had never heard of BTB before reading about it on this site, but I'm going to get some. Maybe beef and chicken for starters, but the clam base sounds good, as do some other flavors people have mentioned.

I had never heard of BTB before reading about it on this site, but I'm going to get some. Maybe beef and chicken for starters, but the clam base sounds good, as do some other flavors people have mentioned.

I love the mushroom BTB, and the garlic. The mushroom adds a umami flavor. Yum! There is also a chili base, I have not used it yet. There is an internet chef, Jeffrey, who uses BTB in a lot of his recipes. I like his Instant Pot recipes.
Pressure Luck Cooking | If Jeffrey Can Do It, YOU Can Do It!

I love the mushroom BTB, and the garlic. The mushroom adds a umami flavor. Yum! There is also a chili base, I have not used it yet. There is an internet chef, Jeffrey, who uses BTB in a lot of his recipes. I like his Instant Pot recipes.

The mushroom BTB is my favorite - so earthy. I've never tried the chili base but will look for it next time I go to Nino's. I make chili at least once a week through the fall and winter. Mine is good, but BTB might make it even better.

The mushroom BTB is my favorite - so earthy. I've never tried the chili base but will look for it next time I go to Nino's. I make chili at least once a week through the fall and winter. Mine is good, but BTB might make it even better.

I love BTB. I always use the beef along with stock and red wine in my french onion soup for tons of flavor. I also like the chicken and mushroom. I will have to pick up the clam for DH and the garlic (I am surprised we haven't tried that yet).
I have also gotten Minor's Chicken Base because I was at BJ's and that's what they sell and it is comparable.

Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

I love it. Direct Farm to Table food. And they closed down the Farmers Market here. So, every week I pick up a box of vegetables and fruit. You never know what will be in the box.

Bonus, this year especially, I don't go to the store at all.
That sounds like fun.

I have a fruit and veg box delivered every week here. It's overpriced really, the company's *thing* is that everything is organic, local etc but it's interesting to see what arrives and make meals out of it. I use them for my weekly shop now, adding cheese, tins and fresh meat etc. My previous supermarket delivery still has v v few slots, so this has worked well.

Does a jar of base last quite a while once opened and refrigerated? I'm not sure how quickly we will go through a jar. There are only two of us. Mushroom sounds really good too.

ETA: just noticed above people saying it lasts for a long time.

Does a jar of base last quite a while once opened and refrigerated? I'm not sure how quickly we will go through a jar. There are only two of us. Mushroom sounds really good too.

ETA: just noticed above people saying it lasts for a long time.

Refrigerate after opening, and it will last quite a while. Once you start cooking with it, you will find many uses for the different varieties, all of which add a richness to your favorite dishes. I love the mushroom BTB and add it to any dish that has mushrooms - beef stroganoff, chicken paprikash, gravies and sauces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88