Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised that Marilane’s conversion to Catholicism is being discussed only in terms of her husband’s job. SHE is a graduate of Samford University’s divinity school (I think it’s a master’s degree). To me, this conversion clearly evidences a crisis in her spiritual life. I think this definitely puts mental health issues—either as a cause or effect of the spiritual crisis—into play.

Has it ever been confirmed that she joined the Catholic church?

if she had joined the catholic church would they encourage her to walk out on her kids?
I can't think of any denomination that would encourage a parent to leave their children. She may have understood that if she proceeded with a divorce that there would be no support from family etc. for her to be awarded custody.

Hey everyone,

Please review The Rules: Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc

Members may not discuss comments from the social media page unless it is by the Admin or owner of an approved social media page.

As anyone can claim to be anyone on the internet, comments by the general public on those pages are not allowed as WS has no way of verifying the individual or where the information came from. Comments by anyone other than an Admin or owner (i.e. family member) are considered rumor. "Just don't mention them".

Failure to post in accordance with The Rules may result in a temporary or permanent loss of WS posting privileges.

I don’t believe the Catholic Church would by any means encourage her to leave. Moreover, perhaps she is, on her own, facing a spiritual crisis or awakening.

I personally believe the Catholic faith has become significant in her life. MOO

Last edited:
While the overall circumstances of this case are different ( For ex why she was traveling) the part where she calls her mom and seems “lost” and “disoriented” reminds me of a case here, from maybe a year ago? I can’t remember the name of the woman. She was traveling on a business trip and called her husband and mother as well, and was also extremely disoriented. I believe they ended up finding her deceased in the back of her rental car, which was parked on a random residential street. Does anyone remember that case? I believe it took place in California?

ETA in no way do I think the two cases are connected. I just mentioned it because apparently this does happen - people have mental breakdowns and disappear/die in strange circumstances.

I couldn’t see any church advising her to abandon her kids. I could imagine, however, someone advising her to seek immediate help for her mental illness/breakdown. The goal would not be to abandon her children forever, but to simply get back to a healthy mental state prior to asserting her rights in court and seeking custody of her kids.
I’m not saying that this is true, but she could have fled an abusive situation or what she thought was a threat and continued to deteriorate mentally during her trip. By the time she reached wherever she was going, her mentor or advisor would have easily determined she was near a full breakdown. I would think their most pressing concern would be to get her hospitalized. They could also be working behind the scenes with an attorney, other elders in the church, etc. to help her fight for her rights to her children. But this would have to be done once she is stable. I’m grasping here, I know! Just hoping for a scenario where she turns up safe.

While the overall circumstances of this case are different ( For ex why she was traveling) the part where she calls her mom and seems “lost” and “disoriented” reminds me of a case here, from maybe a year ago? I can’t remember the name of the woman. She was traveling on a business trip and called her husband and mother as well, and was also extremely disoriented. I believe they ended up finding her deceased in the back of her rental car, which was parked on a random residential street. Does anyone remember that case? I believe it took place in California?

ETA in no way do I think the two cases are connected. I just mentioned it because apparently this does happen - people have mental breakdowns and disappear/die in strange circumstances.
Yes, she had been at a tech convention, was in her car heading for the airport and was on the phone with her mother, she became increasingly lost and disoriented and she was found dead in her car which she had parked on a residential street. Her autopsy determined that she had an acute "thyroid storm" and that was the cause of death. I can probably think of her name, given enough time.

I couldn’t see any church advising her to abandon her kids. I could imagine, however, someone advising her to seek immediate help for her mental illness/breakdown. The goal would not be to abandon her children forever, but to simply get back to a healthy mental state prior to asserting her rights in court and seeking custody of her kids.
I’m not saying that this is true, but she could have fled an abusive situation or what she thought was a threat and continued to deteriorate mentally during her trip. By the time she reached wherever she was going, her mentor or advisor would have easily determined she was near a full breakdown. I would think their most pressing concern would be to get her hospitalized. They could also be working behind the scenes with an attorney, other elders in the church, etc. to help her fight for her rights to her children. But this would have to be done once she is stable. I’m grasping here, I know! Just hoping for a scenario where she turns up safe.

The BIL who has been the informal spokesperson for the family thus far. Is he married to one of her sisters or what is the relation? His is not a Carter, so I’m assuming it’s not on the husbands side - unless he is a step-brother. Does anyone know?

Early on, he specifically used the term “deteriorate” in reference to MC state of mind. Something along the lines of “they were surprised to see the situation deteriorate so quickly”

Last edited:
Yes, she had been at a tech convention, was in her car heading for the airport and was on the phone with her mother, she became increasingly lost and disoriented and she was found dead in her car which she had parked on a residential street. Her autopsy determined that she had an acute "thyroid storm" and that was the cause of death. I can probably think of her name, given enough time.
I had enough time, Erin Valenti.

BBM, I've thought about a medical issue in addition to the mental health, she's very thin and thyroid has been one of my thoughts. JMO

Not sure how a husband could prevent his wife from leaving without being accused of abuse or controlling behavior etc...

I tend to think she was in some sort of a breakdown, whether she admitted or knew it herself...if so, it must have been scary for family/friends to learn she took off alone, at night, by car...

Jmo

BBM, I've thought about a medical issue in addition to the mental health, she's very thin and thyroid has been one of my thoughts. JMO
Yes, a good mental health provider will check basic labs (including thyroid) to rule out any underlying medical illness that manifests as psychiatric.

The BIL who has been the informal spokesperson for the family thus far. Is he married to one of her sisters or what is the relation? His is not a Carter, so I’m assuming it’s not on the husbands side - unless he is a step-brother. Does anyone know?

Early on, he specifically used the term “deteriorate” in reference to MC state of mind. Something along the lines of “they were surprised to see the situation deteriorate so quickly”
The BIL is married to Marilane’s younger sister, Malynda.

She and all of her family are very thin. Her brothers are both stick thin, as is Malynda. Her other two sisters are quite thin but look slightly healthier than the rest. It’s genetics, likely not thyroid IMO.

I don't think anyone has thrown this out there yet but I am wondering if the "mental health issue" is actually an addiction issue.

I watched one of her you tube videos and her speech seemed deliberately slow and succinct. Almost like she was forcing herself to get it right. Her eyes seemed a bit glassy as well.

I watched her walk to her car and thought she was moving slowly and then she sat in her car for a bit with the door open.

Could she have an opoid issue? Could she have been heading to rehab and then decided not to? That could explain her not getting on that plane.

It would be quite the embarrassment for the family if the Pastor's wife was a drug addict I'm thinking.

I'm scratching my head over this one.

I also am wondering if she was lured somehow to convert by unscrupulous means.

I know it sounds a bit crazy but I've seen some crazy stuff over the years.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member