Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there would be any value in attempting a second autopsy. Maybe reviewing organ samples or extracting tissue for DNA analysis to discover any difficult-to-detect diseases or illnesses. It was obvious he had knee problems but there was no mention of deterioration of the knee joints on the AR.

I remember reading years ago that Curt Cobain was convinced he had some kind of illness like cancer since he talked about constant stomach pain he had, yet on autopsy there was no indication that he had any type of illness like cancer, Crohn's, ulcers, etc. It must have just been stress related.
Are organ samples kept? Because we now know that the ME skeletonized his remains and there is not tissue left.

Are organ samples kept? Because we now know that the ME skeletonized his remains and there is not tissue left.

As far as I know, his body is still in the morgue. Tissue samples were probably taken and stored for further analysis. It's just a lot more difficult to analyse tissue after further decomp. I don't know what you mean by skeletonizing his remains. Most coroner's take samples of tissue and blood then put the organs back within the abdominal cavity. Depending on the COD the remains could be used for further examination in a teaching environment.

As far as I know, his body is still in the morgue. Tissue samples were probably taken and stored for further analysis. It's just a lot more difficult to analyse tissue after further decomp. I don't know what you mean by skeletonizing his remains. Most coroner's take samples of tissue and blood then put the organs back within the abdominal cavity. Depending on the COD the remains could be used for further examination in a teaching environment.
Skeletonizing in this case was using a chemical to break down the remaining soft tissue leaving only the bones. And yes, remains are still stored in Collier county

Skeletonizing in this case was using a chemical to break down the remaining soft tissue leaving only the bones. And yes, remains are still stored in Collier county

IMO, this makes sense to me. I believe this was mentioned in the last CCSO podcast? They probably don't have the room to store a full body after a period of time.

It's the little things like this that make my day.

I know, I’m dying to know if he’s got some “Cajun” in him. Gosh he looks so familiar and its going to drive me nuts! I’ve been mentally combing former co workers in that IT department we had. I can only come up with three people who worked there for a short time and none are him. Guess I need find office party pics to see if anyone like him is in there

This is going to be a very off the wall question...I will explain later if it clicks...

Is there any way possibly that he looks like a man who was either a firefighter, or worked for the fire department? Possibly in the Eastern Parrish?

Has James Thomas Wiggins been ruled out? The last mention I see about him in this case here on WS was in November 2019.

James Thomas Wiggins – The Charley Project

The following is from a fb group for missing people.

Description:
Weight: 165 lbs
Hair: Brown and curly
Eyes: Blue
Caps on front teeth
Scars: right forearm, abdomen,upper right side of chest, left ear, inside of left bicept.
Height: listed at 5'2 but family believes he was taller.

If you have any information regarding this case you are urged to call the Ruston City police dept at 318-255-4141

Note: the photo of James he was 16 years old and did not like having photos taken!

Has James Thomas Wiggins been ruled out? The last mention I see about him in this case here on WS was in November 2019.

Description:
Caps on front teeth
Scars: right forearm, abdomen,upper right side of chest, left ear, inside of left bicept.

If you have any information regarding this case you are urged to call the Ruston City police dept at 318-255-4141

Note: the photo of James he was 16 years old and did not like having photos taken!
Can't be MH, James has capped teeth.

I'm still wading through the first thread....
Rereading reminded me that there is NO record of him being in TN or NC which begs the question was he thru-hiking or section hiking and where was he if he went off trail?

If you search "Denim" at trailjournals.com, someone mentions a SOBO named Denim spending the night with them at the Clyde Smith Shelter in TN on October 18.

In the autopsy report it states that he has both Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and ibuprofen in his system. Maybe the Benadryl was to stop the itch he had? And ibuprofen is for inflammation/pain and so on, so maybe it was the knees giving him hell or something unknown to us.

In the autopsy report it states that he has both Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and ibuprofen in his system. Maybe the Benadryl was to stop the itch he had? And ibuprofen is for inflammation/pain and so on, so maybe it was the knees giving him hell or something unknown to us.
I personally assumed that he used Benadryl to help him sleep. It always knocks me out like a light.

And it would have been quite a few years since he was a student, if indeed he was a student.

Wish I knew more about genealogical research...

I know a lot about genealogical research.

Problem is, I only know how to start with either a known name or a known place!

"Mostly Harmless" and Nobles Camp have failed us thus far.

Sorry!

Everybody says he had no accent but spoke perfect English. Seems like he can't be from New York or Louisiana! To Americans, English Canadians have an accent. Actually that accent varies depending on where you lived growing up in Canada. There are some Canadians that sound like they have absolutely no English accent though. It is French Canadians who are truly bilingual and grew up using both languages extensively. You can think someone you know is English Canadian forever until you hear them around French people. Could it be that MH is French Canadian, possibly from Quebec. Quebec is close to New York and he could have easily been working IT in New York.

Most everyone I've met, upon learning that I'm from Louisiana, tells me that I don't sound Cajun. My husband, who is originally from Long Island, tells me that my brother and others with the "cajun" accent, sound like they are from Brooklyn.

I was just reading the first page of this thread and saw that another hiker claimed that MH told him/her that he was heavy in weight before he began hiking. Has anyone altered a photo of him to give an idea of him at a heavier weight? I don't think there would be much difference, but it might give a different "perspective".

I was just reading the first page of this thread and saw that another hiker claimed that MH told him/her that he was heavy in weight before he began hiking. Has anyone altered a photo of him to give an idea of him at a heavier weight? I don't think there would be much difference, but it might give a different "perspective".
Photos like that are all over Reddit and Facebook. Photos, altered or not, have not been helpful. It does not seem any friends or family are looking for him.

Almost every hiker doing an overnight or longer carries both of these. Not unusual at all.

Description:
Caps on front teeth

Caps on the teeth make him a no go, IMO. Perfect teeth means perfect teeth; no fillings, no caps, no nothing. Plus, the scars....

I heard on the podcast he's in storage at the ME's office. They can't cremate him until he's named/claimed. I've seen it referenced that he was skeletonized but I don't think I've seen that officially.
I was thinking about this. I am sure rules vary by state and even county. If MH is but a skeleton, that is sad. I know preserving a body is difficult, even if it is frozen. Just MOO, it would have been better to embalm and bury him vs skeletonizing him. That's sad. I guess there is no great way of preserving an unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko