Staff member
Reaction score
SOLVED CASES:
FUNDED / IN PROGRESS CASES:

NOT YET FUNDED CASES:
THREAD #2

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @othram , awesome to have you here. I have a question if you don’t mind: what is your company’s policy regarding cases involving the remains of children? I know these cases are controversial and I was wondering if Othram is open to accepting this type of cases. Thank you and best regards.

ETA Rephrased

Hey @othram , awesome to have you here. I have a question if you don’t mind: what is your company’s policy regarding cases involving the remains of children? I know these cases are controversial and I was wondering if Othram is open to accepting this type of cases. Thank you and best regards.

ETA Rephrased

If you are asking if we work Baby Doe cases, the answer is yes.

I could suggest hundreds of cases! We probably all could ;) But here are a few. The DNA availability is based mostly on The Doe Network profiles. Other than that I can’t speak to the accuracy of that information.

https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/65578
(DNA Unknown)

1858UMCO (DNA Available)

2811UMFL (DNA Available)

229UMID (DNA Available)

439UMAK (DNA Available)

1803UMOK (DNA Not Available)

I see you are eager to put us to work. We will take a look at these. Thank you!

We are experimenting with a different layout for cases. Would love input from folks.

Link:
DNASolves - Your DNA Could Help Solve a Crime
I like it! Especially the convenience of easily spotting the funding (overall) status of each one. I’m currently on mobile, if that makes a difference.

I like it. Will it have a sort feature for solved/funded/still needs funds raising, in the future?

Yes! We were thinking of allowing filters for funded/unfunded, and then for types of cases, and perhaps even location. Can you think of other good ways to sort or filter?

Yes! We were thinking of allowing filters for funded/unfunded, and then for types of cases, and perhaps even location. Can you think of other good ways to sort or filter?
Bodies found in each state may be good to filter on, just like how DNA Doe Project was doing. Also as you take on more cases, filtering by decade might also be something to think about.

@othram I know I had suggested a few Kraft cases but also just wanted to add this one in.

St. Louis Jane Doe (1983)

This was a case from my hometown, and seems like there hasn't been much traction on this case. It reminds me greatly of the Precious Doe case from Kansas City in 2001, due in part to the young age of the victim and the brutality of it. Without a face to identify the victim though, they would pretty much be going off DNA to try to found out her identity.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
This is a case of a child John Doe from Michigan.
The case is as obscure as obscure gets but the authorities are interested in using genetic genealogy for the case. Source:
Retired chief hopes new DNA test solves 40-year mystery | WOODTV.com
Most of these cases have been taken up by the DNA Doe Project but this is a child and they don't work on those. The other cases they haven't taken up, at least for now, are these two:
I assume the police department there is sufficiently oiled as none of the cases taken up by the DDP required fundraising. Marcia Bateman was a sort of pilot case with a successful resolution before they decided to utilize the technology for other cases. There are additional cases from that general area on NamUs not mentioned in the news article, but I think you have a good chance of getting some of them.

I'll add a case I'm personally interested in if you can woo the police department to entrust you with the case.
Morgan County John Doe (1998)
This guy was some hungry transient.
His cardboard sign really gets me: ''Stranded Hungry :) God Bless''
I admire the humility.
Someone killed him, apparently for no other reason than they could.

The case is as obscure as obscure gets but the authorities are interested in using genetic genealogy for the case. Source:
Most of these cases have been taken up by the DNA Doe Project but this is a child and they don't work on those. The other cases they haven't taken up, at least for now, are these two:
I assume the police department there is sufficiently oiled as none of the cases taken up by the DDP required fundraising. Marcia Bateman was a sort of pilot case with a successful resolution before they decided to utilize the technology for other cases. There are additional cases from that general area on NamUs not mentioned in the news article, but I think you have a good chance of getting some of them.

I'll add a case I'm personally interested in if you can woo the police department to entrust you with the case.
I admire the humility.
Good suggestions! I hadn’t seen Morgan County John Doe in awhile but won’t soon forget that sign!

I admire the humility.

That's terrible. We will look into it and see what can be done. Thanks for bringing this back up.

This is also an old case from 1972 of a young boy found murdered in Florida. Apparently DNA extraction was unsuccessful in 2013, so maybe they can try it again to get a usable profile this time. I'd always thought this Doe was a child sex trafficking victim or a runaway from a foster home. Below is the Websleuths thread on them:
FL - FL - Daytona, WhtMale 2128UMFL, 11-21, near pond, denim jacket, May'72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members