Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was looking for a suitable place to do whatever she was planning to do, whether that's getting back on the highway but getting lost, looking for a place to hide, or looking for a place to take her life. People have asked "how did she know the containers we're back there." She didn't. They took her 3 hours to find.

With all due respect, how do you know this? You could see every inch of West Memphis in an hour.

With all due respect, how do you know this? You could see every inch of West Memphis in an hour.

I'm not sure how to answer this. Logic and the facts we know about the case?

It took her 24 hours to get 7 hours from home. It took her 3 hours to get 2 miles from a gas station where she ended up being found dead. She was half a mile from where she spoke to her mother and told her she's under 55 near a hiking trail at 8:02. Her mother said she was lost and disoriented. The entrance and exit ramps in that area are a maze even for locals.

I don't know her intentions, but I didn't see any other conclusions rather than she was lost, looking to hide, or looking to take her life. I base the latter only on the fact that she's dead. I still don't know what her actual intentions were and am between suicide and dying accidentally from CO poisoning while trying to hide from the drones that she reportedly believed were following her

Do we know if the men & women of the West Mempis LE are the same people that were on the WM3 case? I didn't follow that, so I'm just curious.

Not sure who conducted the searches, but I know an FBI forensics team, Arkansas State Police, and local sheriff's department were on scene to recover the vehicle. The trailer is outside of West Memphis limits.

Now hinting at conspiracy(?) or incompetency theories about LE lol...okay.
I doubt we will hear much more unless the cause of death does not support carbon monoxide theory...maybe not even then if a suicide is confirmed by some other manner.
Jmo

I have a problem with LE speculating to the media about her cod and mod before the ME has even identified her remains. They shouldn't be saying anything until they can give a reasonable explanaton in a press release. "Didn't think to search them" omfg. Arkansas LE is truly something to behold. It will be a miracle if we ever get the truth.

I agree LE should have checked the containers. A major mistake on their part but I don’t think putting AR LE all in one category as you did is really fair...respectfully & merely my opinion.

Sheriff: Carbon monoxide poisoning likely in death of Marilane Carter

To Note:
•The vehicle, with what is believed to be Carter’s remains inside, was found about 11 a.m.
•vehicle appears to have driven into an empty
storage container
•LE are expecting the confirmed cause and manner of death to be finalized by the medical examiner later today, but said all indications are that no foul play was involved.
•The vehicle was in park in the on position and it had run out of gas inside the storage container. “How she got back into that location and found that container is just bizarre for sure,’' the sheriff said, “but all indications are she was behind the wheel, the car was running, the doors were actually locked. The way that car was in there, you for sure couldn’t open and shut the doors. No one else could have done that.”
•“We had the FBI Forensics Recover Team, Arkansas State Police and sheriff’s investigators and their collective thoughts was that it was more than likely carbon monoxide,’' Allen said. “She didn’t have any blunt force trauma or any type of wounds that would cause her death. She more than likely pulled into this container, left her motor running and asphyxiated.”

Ok I didn't think of that.

In that case I'm only getting more convinced she just wanted to sleep for a few hours in a safe place and out of sight. Because if there was no issue driving further backwards, yet she didn't I don't think she planned to kill herself.
To me, that scenario sounds like the stuff of nightmares and horror movies.

I would like to know what she could have been doing between the time she refueled in West Memphis (about 5 pm) and when she had her last phone call with her mother and reported that she was driving on some dirt road under Route 55 (about 8 pm). The distance between the gas station and Bridgeport Rd is negligible. What could she have been doing for three hours?
Driving around, looking for a place to commit suicide.

A murderer wouldn't have put her in the driver's seat AND left the car running. Besides, the police say there was no way to get out of the car once it was in the container. A murderer wouldn't have attracted attention by pushing the car in with another vehicle. And a murderer who wanted to hide the car would have hidden the body elsewhere because it's much easier to dispose of a body. Even if the car is found, no murder can be proved. Common sense. She make concerning statements and she ended up dead. Suicide.

To me, that scenario sounds like the stuff of nightmares and horror movies.

True story, but off topic...

My brother and I used to stealth camp our way across the country on road trips, and one night after driving by Graceland at like midnight just to say we saw it from the outside we camped along the Arkansas side of the river less than 5 miles from where Marilane was found. For whatever reason it was by far the spookiest place I've ever stealth camped in my life. We joked the next morning that we were glad we woke up in one piece. But early the next morning we had our first ever Waffle House experience nearby in West Memphis and it made it all worth it. I've been chasing that first time Waffle House experience ever since, but it's just not the same. This was in 1995, so only 2 years after the West Memphis Three case, although we didn't know about it at the time. We used to do this all the time, but that was the only place that really gave me bad vibes.

Am just tuning in to all these threads on WS. A bit off topic, I know, but I keep going back to the gas station stop where a woman claims she gave Marilane cash because her card was declined. (Or, like I've sometimes done, inserted it improperly?) I question why it was declined--did someone put a Stop Payment on it? Later, however, she stops at a hotel and, presumably, pays beforehand? Someone in my family took his own life, which is why I can't get this family and those precious kids off my mind. Lifelong repercussions . . . :-(
The hotel stay was before the gas station. And the gas station was never confirmed to be her.

A murderer wouldn't have put her in the driver's seat AND left the car running. Besides, the police say there was no way to get out of the car once it was in the container. A murderer wouldn't have attracted attention by pushing the car in with another vehicle. And a murderer who wanted to hide the car would have hidden the body elsewhere because it's much easier to dispose of a body. Even if the car is found, no murder can be proved. Common sense. She make concerning statements and she ended up dead. Suicide.
How did the container door become closed?

Not sure who conducted the searches, but I know an FBI forensics team, Arkansas State Police, and local sheriff's department were on scene to recover the vehicle. The trailer is outside of West Memphis limits.

I only asked because it seems somewhat disrespectful to assume the folks handling this case are the same (allegedly) bumbling folks that handled the other case. Maybe that's even too strong of a word, or not strong enough, I don't know, as I didn't follow the WM3 case at all.

Now hinting at conspiracy(?) or incompetency theories about LE lol...okay.
I doubt we will hear much more unless the cause of death does not support carbon monoxide theory...maybe not even then if a suicide is confirmed by some other manner.
Jmo

The article I read earlier this evening:

“Information gathered from family members concerning her mental and emotional state during her final communications, along with facts gathered from the scene, have led investigators to believe that Marilane Carter drove the vehicle into the container and in doing so caused her demise,” the Crittenden County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement Wednesday, according to Fox 4 Memphis."

I think the bolded part is really important to put it all in perspective and understand why LE is implying she passed from carbon monoxide poisoning.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member