Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to me a particular group of people we have not heard from, that being his "workers" that he claims were coming in Sunday night to the job in Denver.

Not a single MSM interview with any of those guys. Not a peep in social media either, as far as I know. That just seems rather curious to me, that not a single one of those workers has spoken up to say yes, BM was there in Denver on the job site all day Sunday, setting it up for when they came in Sunday night. As he claims.

o_O

Right. In the beginning I waited, expecting everyday to hear some
detail about the Denver job site. It's not like it was at the North Pole, it's in Denver, a big city. Plenty of cameras, and people to see things. This case has been on the news in Denver, but no one has surfaced with any information. It just doesn't make sense. I can hardly believe that BM would lie about his alibi. The only explanation that I can think of is that he is using the "job" story to cover up a tryst of some sort. If that's not the explanation, then I have to assume he's not bright at all and really goofed up. Maybe he thinks that as long as no body is found, then mere lies won't convict him?Moo

Or calling or messaging her throughout the day? We haven’t heard him say that he communicated with her at all that day. So if he left at 5am and she was still sleeping ... did they not communicate when she woke? Or at all during that day until his daughters called him so worried that the neighbor had to be called who in turn phones the police? (If I’m recalling correctly, it was the neighbor who phoned the police.). So from 5am till he got the call early evening (phone call to police was around 5:45pm, correct?) did he not attempt to message her or call her at all? On Mother’s day? When the daughters were supposed to be on their way home? Even Scott Peterson left a message on the answering machine “hey baby, wasn’t able to pick up that fruit basket you wanted ....” . That seems like a distancing tactic IMO, “don’t try to call her, let someone else determine that she is not responding, distance yourself from it.”
Yes, and how did he know she was on a bike ride?

I don’t understand people thinking not waking up your spouse at 5 AM on Mother’s Day (or any day)
is strange or bad somehow.

Thinking of my wife of 39 years or my mother, both would much rather be let sleep in then have to wake up to say goodbye at 5 am. A phone call at the normal wake up time would be much more appreciated.

BBM:

Welcome to Websleuths, Pyrite!

I don't find BM's report that he left SM sleeping undisturbed at 5 am odd in and of itself.

What makes that statement hugely problematic in my eyes is that it appears to conflict with his earlier report to TD that he talked to SM to "ask her if she would mind" if he went to Denver that day, since it was Mother's Day.

It's also way too convenient that BM has himself departing the house at 5 am that morning, because as we all know, it's pitch dark at 5 am with a couple of hours before daylight. So, in effect, BM is safely placing himself hours away from Salida before the time SM could have reasonably been supposed to have gone on her "bike ride."
He's attempting to distance himself. Again.

If it were just a matter of BM saying he didn't wake her up before he left, it wouldn't be terribly suspicious.
But we have to look at that statement in the light of everything else he's said.
Everything he says is intended to distance himself from SM that day.

He's very manipulative.

JMO.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised if there's now a his side vs. her side and communication has ceased between the families. It's sad but this does happen often. I believe it happens when there's not a guilty party as well. The stress is astronomical and blame and resentment starts to creep in. Of course it's terrible when children feel like they are caught in the middle.

I had a huge soft spot for SM's dad speaking during his interview. It's hard not to see my own grandpa in him.

All my opinion.

Right. In the beginning I waited, expecting everyday to hear some
detail about the Denver job site. It's not like it was at the North Pole, it's in Denver, a big city. Plenty of cameras, and people to see things. This case has been on the news in Denver, but no one has surfaced with any information. It just doesn't make sense. I can hardly believe that BM would lie about his alibi. The only explanation that I can think of is that he is using the "job" story to cover up a tryst of some sort. If that's not the explanation, then I have to assume he's not bright at all and really goofed up. Maybe he thinks that as long as no body is found, then mere lies won't convict him?Moo
And let's not forget the first story put out:
snipped
Relatives told CBS4 that Barry Morphew had been in Denver, about 150 miles from Maysville, on the day his wife disappeared; reportedly for some type of training believed to be connected to his work as a firefighter.
‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

911 calls can"t be made from out of the 911 covered area. Asking some one to call in for you is the only way.
But by calling the regular police line they might patch you through.

911 calls go to a dispatcher, who then directs the call to the proper emergency department ( police, fire, ems) If BM called the Salida police directly, he could have made contact with the police department immediately. And I'm sure any firefighter worth a salt would know the phone number!!!! He chose to have someone else make the call. MOO

snipped
Relatives told CBS4 that Barry Morphew had been in Denver, about 150 miles from Maysville, on the day his wife disappeared; reportedly for some type of training believed to be connected to his work as a firefighter.
‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew
BBM I wonder which relatives they are referring to in this article. Did they really mean one relative (nephew?) or multiple relatives? MOO

snipped
Bbm
Thx for article. You're right. The firefighter training preceeded the job site story. It's reported by a relative who I think got it directly from BM. No firefighter training was ever verified either. Well at least his two alibis match the bike ride that never happened either. Moo

BBM:
I don't find BM's report that he left SM sleeping undisturbed at 5 am odd in and of itself.

What makes that statement hugely problematic in my eyes is that it appears to conflict with his earlier report to TD that he talked to SM to "ask her if she would mind" if he went to Denver that day, since it was Mother's Day.

If it were just a matter of BM saying he didn't wake her up before he left, it wouldn't be terribly suspicious.

JMO.

I keep hearing people claim leaving her asleep on MD is in conflict with what he told TD. I guess I will have to dig that 'interview' back up. Did he say they discussed it on MD? I thought he said they did discuss it but I just don't remember him stating when they had the conversation. Couldn't that conversation have been on saturday night?

911 calls go to a dispatcher, who then directs the call to the proper emergency department ( police, fire, ems) If BM called the Salida police directly, he could have made contact with the police department immediately. And I'm sure any firefighter worth a salt would know the phone number!!!! He chose to have someone else make the call. MOO
YES! Bam!

This not a good sign. Communication with his granddaughters has been cut off.
Agreed.
I worry about what those daughters are being told and if they're being controlled by the husband's family ?
Maybe due to BM needing to take complete control of any of Suzanne's assets that he hasn't already seized, or inheritance through her father ?

MOO but I somehow doubt that cell phone analysis from Barry's phone will show that he made a call to Suzanne Mother's Day morning to wish her a wonderful day.

We've speculated a lot here about what huge "Whoopsies!" BM could have committed that caused LE to dismiss the bike ride scenario so quickly.

That is definitely one possibility.
If BM didn't try to call SM himself at any point that day, it would be beyond damning.

It would be hard to reasonably explain to LE why he didn't reach out to SM via phone or text after talking multiple times with not just the daughters, but the neighbor as well.

This is way up there on my list of potential errors BM made that day.

I think BM may have been so focused on distancing himself from SM that day that he completely forgot that trying to get hold of her himself was a critical part of playing the role of the innocent, concerned husband.

JMO.

Last edited:
BBM:
But we have to look at that statement in the light of everything else he's said.
Everything he says is intended to distance himself from SM that day.

He's very manipulative.

JMO.
I 100% agree with you. Him leaving early and letting his wife sleep in on MD alone isnt really suspicious. Im more trouble by the way he speaks about her now. In his recent interview he states "“We don’t know why God does what he does,” Barry told Scharf. ” But we have to trust him". To me this comes off as a man who has accepted that his wife is missing and his statement makes it seem like hes satisfied with the answers he already has. and i already commented on this but he then says “I am afraid of what is out there,” he said. “People don’t know the truth, so they’re gonna think what they’re gonna think.” Again he sounds more concerned about his reputation the SM.

“This is the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me,” Barry explained. “But I have got to keep my faith and trust in God. And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring, family and this thing is just a tragedy.” To me the language he uses is also concerning. It seems like hes minimizing whats happened and is already trying to put a positive spin on the situation... SM could be alive, unless he knows otherwise, so I find it strange hes staying that this experience has been worth it, and Im also confused as to how SM's disappearance has saved anyone? The whole interview seems like an attempt to convince the public hes done nothing wrong, BUT heres the thing SM is still missing and not once does he ask for people to keep looking, he doesnt send out the police number for tips, he doesnt ask people to review their door bell footage... he simply seems unconcerned with the status of SM's location. Hes speaking about her like shes gone and distancing himself from her and the situation when there are 1000 things he could do to help. It just doesnt sit right with me

Agreed.
I worry about what those daughters are being told and if they're being controlled by the husband's family ?
Maybe due to BM needing to take complete control of any of Suzanne's assets that BM hasn't already seized, or inheritance through her father ?

Moo. Don't think there will be any inheritance going BM's direction from her father.

Yes, and how did he know she was on a bike ride?

A lot of people have fairly ridged workout plans. If my wife disappeared on a Saturday, I’d know she probably went on a bike ride in the morning. On a Sunday it would be a run. Since it’s the first time she leaves the house most days and early to beat the heat, the first thing I’d check is if she made it home, bike in the house, running shoes In the garage and wet workout clothes hung up to dry.

Agreed.
Maybe due to BM needing to take complete control of any of Suzanne's assets that BM hasn't already seized, or inheritance through her father ?
I worry about them too. Since the girls are old enough to have cell phones, cars, the ability to leave and make phone calls, I think BM is controlling the narrative in that household. Since he’s their Dad and they love him, they will believe what he says. MOO It’s very sad. :(

Good time to update thread for new viewers that then Sheriff-elect John Spezze took over in as Sheriff of Chaffee County in Jan 2015. He previously served as Under-Sheriff 2011-14 for retired Sheriff Pete Palmer. Salida is the Sheriff's hometown. He returned home to Salida after retiring from a 27-year career with the Denver Police Dept.

BM is fortunate and should be thankful that his wife's case is under his watch.

Sheriff-elect John Spezze returns to hometown with big-city experience
I find it reassuring. The Sheriff knows the lay of the land so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo