MI - Timesha Beauchamp, 20, found alive at funeral home after being declared dead, Detroit, Aug 2020

“I’m devastated that my daughter is going through what she’s going through,” she said. “My family, her twin brother, her older brother -- it’s just, I don’t even have words. I haven’t slept all night. I just don’t know what to do. My heart is so heavy.”

She was told Sunday morning by Southfield paramedics that her daughter had died.

She said she got the news from officials at her home.

“They said, ‘Ma’am, she’s gone,‘” her mother said. “I told them, ‘Are you absolutely, 100% sure that she’s gone?’ They said, ‘Yes, ma’am, she’s gone.‘”

But hours later, her phone rang again. This time, it was from Cole Funeral Home in Detroit.

“They said, ‘Ma’am, your daughter is on her way to Sinai Grace Hospital. She is breathing. She is alive,‘” she said. “This devastated my life. Then she just told me, ‘No, ma’am, your daughter is breathing.’ I said, ‘What do you mean? What do you mean she’s breathing?’ She said, ‘Ma’am, she’s in the hospital.‘”

Sources reveal who declared Southfield woman dead before she was found breathing at funeral home

“I’m devastated that my daughter is going through what she’s going through,” she said. “My family, her twin brother, her older brother -- it’s just, I don’t even have words. I haven’t slept all night. I just don’t know what to do. My heart is so heavy.”

She was told Sunday morning by Southfield paramedics that her daughter had died.

She said she got the news from officials at her home.

“They said, ‘Ma’am, she’s gone,‘” her mother said. “I told them, ‘Are you absolutely, 100% sure that she’s gone?’ They said, ‘Yes, ma’am, she’s gone.‘”

But hours later, her phone rang again. This time, it was from Cole Funeral Home in Detroit.

“They said, ‘Ma’am, your daughter is on her way to Sinai Grace Hospital. She is breathing. She is alive,‘” she said. “This devastated my life. Then she just told me, ‘No, ma’am, your daughter is breathing.’ I said, ‘What do you mean? What do you mean she’s breathing?’ She said, ‘Ma’am, she’s in the hospital.‘”

Sources reveal who declared Southfield woman dead before she was found breathing at funeral home
While this is absolutely nightmare fuel. I am however, strangely comforted knowing that Fieger will stop at nothing to get this women the monetary damages she deserves.

Lawyer: Woman found alive at Detroit funeral home had been in body bag for 2 hours

Southfield — The family of a Southfield woman declared dead last weekend before workers at a Detroit funeral home discovered she was alive and still breathing, has retained attorney Geoffrey Fieger to investigate possibly negligence on the part of authorities who arrived at the scene.

Fieger, based in Southfield, held a digital press conference Tuesday to discuss the case. He said the woman, Timesha Beauchamp, 20, was in a body bag for at least two hours before being found alive by workers at the funeral home...

...Beauchamp has had cerebral palsy from birth, and is on three breathing treatments a day.

"That may be incidentally involved; we don't know," Fieger said...

Was she taken to a hospital? If this is a medical malpractice case there are caps as to how much money a plaintiff can get- the most would be approx 450,000. This is the type of case that would not go to trial- there would probably be some type of quick settlement. There is no way to defend this type of case. Clearly, there had to be several breakdowns of protocol for her to wind up at the funeral home - almost embalmed- before they realized she was alive. I imagine there would also be more than one defendant. Holy moly!!!

EMTs communicated with an ER physician at Ascension in Southfield. Based on their findings, the ER doctor pronounced the young woman deceased and advised the rescue team to take the body to the funeral home indicated by the family.

Attorney: Woman was in body bag 2 hours before found alive

Geoffrey Fieger, who was hired by Timesha Beauchamp's family, said she remains in critical condition at Sinai-Grace Hospital in Detroit, where she is on a respirator and her heart is beating on its own.

Fieger said the family of the Southfield woman, who was born with cerebral palsy and has always needed constant medical care, are shaken.

He said he believes that after she was declared dead, police put Timesha in a body bag at her family's home and she was inside it, breathing, for about 2 ½ hours before she arrived at the funeral home. Fieger said she was found to be alive as she was about to be embalmed.

"She was alive. Her eyes were open and she was breathing. My recollection is that the embalmer was actually there and was the person who opened the body bag," he said.

Timesha receives three breathing treatments every day that are needed due to her medical condition, Fieger said. On Sunday, the family called 911 about 7:30 a.m. after her mother and brother became concerned after her first breathing treatment and noticed she was in distress. Timesha had apparently suffered a seizure.

"It was at that time that the family noticed that her lips were pale, and that she had some secretions around her mouth and that she was having difficulty breathing. And the family called Steven, Timesha's brother, in and then they called 911," Fieger said.

Police arrived within about 15 minutes and four paramedics also arrived at the family home. Fieger said the medical responders were told of Timesha's medical history, the medications she receives and about her daily breathing treatments.

Fieger said following live saving efforts, what happened next remains "very, very murky" to the family and himself but Timesha was declared to be dead, when she actually needed urgent medicare care.

Fieger said she was declared dead even though her godmother, who he said is a registered nurse, told the paramedics she had seen Timesha breathing and she felt that she had a pulse. The paramedics dismissed the godmother's concerns, telling her drugs they had given Timesha were causing those movements.

After she was declared dead, an officer with Southfield police gave the family his card, wrote on the back of it the medical examiner's number and told the family to provide that number to the funeral home when funeral home staff came to pick up Timesha. The funeral home was called at 9 a.m. and she was picked up about 11:25 a.m., only to be discovered alive about 20 minutes later at the funeral home.

When the body bag was opened and they were getting ready to embalm the body, Timesha’s eyes were open and she was breathing,” Fieger said.

Woman found alive in body bag at funeral home

timesha_beauchamp_44572.jpg

Attorney: Woman found alive in body bag in critical condition at Detroit hospital

Woman found alive in body bag at funeral home

Southfield Fire Department paramedics arrived at the home around 7:34 a.m. on a call for an unresponsive female, Fire Chief Johnny L. Menifee said.

“The paramedics performed CPR and other life-reviving methods for 30 minutes,” Menifee said. “Given medical readings and the condition of the patient, it was determined at that time that she did not have signs of life.”

A local emergency department physician pronounced Beaucamp dead based upon information provided by the paramedics.

Since there was no foul play involved, the Southfield Police Department notified the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office of the findings and an on-duty forensic pathologist at the coroner’s office released the body to the woman’s family to make arrangements to have the body picked up by a funeral home of their choosing.

The city of Southfield is conducting an internal investigation along with the Oakland County Medical Control Authority, and the findings of the probe will be turned over to the Michigan Bureau of EMS, Trauma and Preparedness.

Fieger said the four paramedics who worked on Beaucamp placed her in a body bag and left the home around 9 a.m.

Beaucamp’s relatives contacted the John H. Cole Funeral Home in Detroit. Workers from the mortuary came to the home around 11:25 p.m., picked up what they initially thought was a dead person and took it to the nearby funeral home.

Fieger said the family received a frantic call from the funeral home director around 11:45 a.m.

“The embalmer was actually there and was the person who opened the body bag,” Fieger said.

Staff at the funeral home also contacted the Detroit Fire Department. The call the fire department received from the funeral home was for a person having difficulty breathing and that an emergency medical services crew didn’t know the full story until they arrived.

Fieger said he was retained by the family to investigate alleged negligence on the part of the paramedics and police for a possible lawsuit.

Southfield police, fire departments to hold presser on woman 'found alive'

Southfield — The Southfield police and fire departments will hold a joint press conference Wednesday to discuss how a Southfield woman declared dead on Sunday was found alive at a Detroit funeral home — after she'd been in a body bag for two hours.

The press conference is expected at 10 a.m. at Southfield City Hall...

I couldn't find a link for the press conference but will look for a report when it becomes available.

Southfield chief: 'It's going to take time' to get answers for woman wrongly declared dead

Southfield — The Southfield fire chief is pledging to find answers after a 20-year-old woman was declared dead on Sunday but then was found alive hours later at a Detroit funeral home.

At a Wednesday morning press conference at Southfield City Hall, Chief Johnny Menifee addressed Timesha Beauchamp and her family: “We know that they want answers. We're trying to provide those answers, but it takes time, it's going to take time for this investigation."

There is public interest in the case and that’s important, too, he said, but getting answers for the family trumps that concern...

^ JerseyGirl, thanks for this report. It's by far the most comprehensive narrative of the incident that I've seen.

Menifee said the four firefighters, including a lieutenant with 18 years of experience, have been placed on administrative leave in keeping with standard procedure while the incident is investigated by the city of Southfield and the Oakland County Medical Control Authority.

Fire Chief Johnny L. Menifee apologized for not reaching out to Beauchamp's family but said he was in no position to answer their questions. He pledged to get answers for the family, but said "it's going to take time."

Details emerge after woman found alive in body bag at funeral home

Menifee said the four firefighters, including a lieutenant with 18 years of experience, have been placed on administrative leave in keeping with standard procedure while the incident is investigated by the city of Southfield and the Oakland County Medical Control Authority.

Fire Chief Johnny L. Menifee apologized for not reaching out to Beauchamp's family but said he was in no position to answer their questions. He pledged to get answers for the family, but said "it's going to take time."

Details emerge after woman found alive in body bag at funeral home

Chief refutes lawyers claim paramedics placed Timesha in body bag & left.

At first I was shocked at this story. She was only 20 yrs old.

But after reading that she had a lot of medical issues because of cerebral palsy, it is more understandable, that people might have accepted her premature death. She had breathing problems for many years. So she likely had very shallow breathing.

And if she had a seizure or a stroke, she may have appeared to be deceased at first. It is very sad that she and the family had to endure that traumatic incident. But at least they found out she was actually alive in the end.

I hope she truly recovers.

WOW! Thank God someone with a brain was around to figure
out she was actually alive ! I will continue to follow and see what
happens next.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members