Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing mom Suzanne Morphew hubby on secret camera: new evidence revealed

August 27, 2020

Suzanne Morphew has been missing now for 3 months, disappearing after reportedly going for a bike ride. Now her family is speaking out, calling on Morphew's husband Barry to "step up" and "work with police to find her." Barry Morphew has repeated said that he believes a mountain lion could have attacked his wife or, she may have been abducted.

Joining Nancy Grace Today:
  • Troy Slaten - Criminal Defense Attorney, Los Angeles California
  • Dr. Daniel Bober - Forensic Psychiatrist, Chief of Psychiatry Memorial Regional Healthcare Systems, Assistant Clinical Professor at Yale University School of Medicine, follow on Instagram at drdanielbober
  • Sheryl McCollum - Forensics Expert & Cold Case Investigative Research Institute Founder
  • Dan Ribacoff - Polygraph Expert - Author "I Spy, how to be your own investigator" www.danribacoff.com
  • Tyson Draper - "The Draper Brothers," YouTube channel
  • Lauren Scharf - Fox21 Colorado Springs News
Thanks osu...you are always so on top of things!

Do we know for certain that BM and SM were at home on Saturday evening? Is it possible they went for a drive together where Suzanne conducted the conversation with her friend on her phone? That maybe the car was pulled over for a discussion and that’s when Suzanne went missing? MOO

It’s an interesting loop from their home to Highlands Ranch.

It's a very very long loop.

*snippet from crime stories with nancy grace:

"here's the reality:

let's say somebody kidnapped her.

how lucky is that person, that the day they choose to kidnap this woman is mother's day, and her 2 adult children aren't there? and her husband, as loving as he is, is not there. and the cameras where she chooses to go ride are not working. the husband is not calling her, not saying 'hey honey, what do you wanna do, i'm coming home as quick as i can.' no. he first says he's at a training. then he changes (the story) and he's not at a firefighting training in denver, he's at a job site, so he's changing it. so for someone who knows LE is going to be looking at him, he is making himself look more and more suspicious.

he could take a private polygraph. he could say 'you know what, you don't even have to get a warrant, come look at my house. take my truck. take my bobcat. i did not hurt her.' he hasn't done that here.

he's saying they've botched it, they've obliterated stuff, a cat drug her up a hill. he's told us everything that makes him look more and more suspicious."

IN. Real Est. Transaction. Fishy?
Thank you so much for all of this!
I went back to clarify a few things but it was too late to edit.

You're correct about everything.
The only other thing I wasn't clear about was if a seller sells to a family member, that family member would simply xfer the deed back to them at the same price and then he could sell it at the higher price later.

That's not the case here, as you say, as it WAS their previous IN residence that is at issue. My bad!
I'd found the sale, from a year ago, on a RE site but now I see it was the sale/xfer from both Morphews back to both Morphews (??).

And yes, I misspoke when I stated POA instead of guardianship. I need to shut up! The more I learn the more I smh (at myself!).

Excellent info, @al66pine, thanks again for going to such trouble!
Much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Missing mom Suzanne Morphew hubby on secret camera: new evidence revealed

August 27, 2020

Suzanne Morphew has been missing now for 3 months, disappearing after reportedly going for a bike ride. Now her family is speaking out, calling on Morphew's husband Barry to "step up" and "work with police to find her." Barry Morphew has repeated said that he believes a mountain lion could have attacked his wife or, she may have been abducted.

Joining Nancy Grace Today:
  • Troy Slaten - Criminal Defense Attorney, Los Angeles California
  • Dr. Daniel Bober - Forensic Psychiatrist, Chief of Psychiatry Memorial Regional Healthcare Systems, Assistant Clinical Professor at Yale University School of Medicine, follow on Instagram at drdanielbober
  • Sheryl McCollum - Forensics Expert & Cold Case Investigative Research Institute Founder
  • Dan Ribacoff - Polygraph Expert - Author "I Spy, how to be your own investigator" www.danribacoff.com
  • Tyson Draper - "The Draper Brothers," YouTube channel
  • Lauren Scharf - Fox21 Colorado Springs News
I knew that had to be a NG headline!!

Do we know for certain that BM and SM were at home on Saturday evening? Is it possible they went for a drive together where Suzanne conducted the conversation with her friend on her phone? That maybe the car was pulled over for a discussion and that’s when Suzanne went missing? MOO

It’s an interesting loop from their home to Highlands Ranch.

Right? I'm just not finding any missing persons in Highlands Ranch, but I guess this persons remains could have been brought in from almost anywhere.

Should someone here create a new thread for this poor, as of yet, unidentified soul?

I am NOT saying the human remains found in Highlands Ranch are Suzanne's, but just want to say that Highlands Ranch is definitely in the realm of possibility in driving from Maysville to Denver. :(

MOO JMO

Human Bones Found in Highlands Ranch

NARRATIVE: DOUGLAS COUNTY, CO –Yesterday evening at approximately 5:20 p.m., the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office received a call from a citizen reporting the findings of a human skull and other bone fragments in the 9000-block of S. Broadway in Highlands Ranch. Deputies responded and located the bones described by the caller. The Douglas County Coroner’s Office was also notified and responded to the scene. We will be working in conjunction with the Douglas County Coroner’s Office to determine the cause and manner of death.
Thx, Swede, you're really on top of this!

Notes from this Nancy Grace episode of "Crime Stories"

Nancy Grace comments her feelings would be hurt if her husband didn't give her a card or a tea on Mother's Day. Begins episode with focus on Suzanne being alone on Mother's Day at home. This frame of Mother's Day continues throughout episode.

ANIMAL ATTACK STORY
Sheryl McCollum: "Most people that live in mountainous area know that carcass won't be drug more than 50 ft." So not an animal attack.

BIKE AND SAR
Cut to CBS 4 featuring nephew talking to media about bike. Assumes the family reporting that BM was in Denver.
News recording of Chaffee County Sheriff saying they used two types of dogs in search and acknowledging that "social media" is getting out to places where SAR crews cannot.

BM'S MEDIA SILENCE
Troy Slaten says he would tell BM not to talk to media because primary suspect will always be husband. Says BM gave 30 hours of testimony to CBI and FBI. NG pushes back on BM's silence.

BM'S "DEMEANOR"
Lauren Scharf says BM said there wasn't an ounce of evidence against him. NG says this seems like the wrong thing for BM to lead with. Lauren says he misses her so much and so do daughters; can't sleep or eat--he is sick without her. His voice shook when he spoke. NG asks Dan Ribacoff for insight on what demeanor to expect. DR says "unusual affect can be a sign of deception"--meaning overly calm.

ON POLYGRAPH
NG wants to know why no polygraph has taken place if BM offered to take one.

EVIDENCE IN THE TRUCK
Lauren says something with the Bobcat timing was off. Suzanne's family is the one who told Lauren that data from BM's truck doesn't match his story.

QUESTIONS ABOUT "CLASS IN DENVER"
NG wants to know why BM had to "spend the night" away on Mother's Day; gives example of her own husband coming home. This really bothers NG. Sees no reason that BM had to leave his wife "all alone" on the night of Mother's Day.

TYSON'S RECORDING OF BM
NG notes that only one party in Colorado has to consent or agree to being taped, according to law. NG asks about terrain--if someone kidnapped her, they would have to "be lying in wait" or suddenly decide to steal her. Draper says it is near a mountain-biking trailhead but probably not very busy on Mother's Day. Draper thinks the abduction theory is very unlikely. NG pushes back on BM's suggestion that a car could have cut Suzanne off. Draper describes his video of how short the bike ride was (3 minutes on the bike total); spot where her bike was discovered is the first spot on that road where there is no security camera sign. Draper says coming around that hairpin turn is so steep and uphill that you can't fly around it; driver would have time to slow down; it's not a spot that's feasible to run someone off a road.

CONDITION OF BIKE
Draper says that BM in video said bike was at bottom of canyon with "wheel bent or something like that" and then he stopped talking as if he realized it wasn't info he needed to share. NG notes that "this is the first time we've heard about the condition of the bike" as it was found (referring to BM in video). Sheryl McCollum says this tells her that if she had been run off the road or had a wreck, her body would have been found right near the bike. "There would dirt and dust under the seat of the bike and in the wheel realm", McCollum says, "it sounds very staged to me."

VIDEO SURVEILLANCE ALONG CR 50
Draper describes a security camera about 50 yards from where bike was discovered but you can't see it because you come around the curve on a small bridge. He and Lauren Sharf said neither she nor Draper have seen any video surveillance that confirms Suzanne was on a bike ride. And no witnesses saw her on a bike. If there are cameras along this route and none saw her on a bike ride, seems unlikely Suzanne was ever on a bike. Morphew house surveillance down that day for whatever reason, according to Draper.

COLORADO SEMINAR
Fire chief told Lauren no training happened in Denver so that was ruled out, but BM told her he was alone at a job site for his construction company and the other employees would be arriving the next day. Monday. Draper says BM told him he was going to Denver for a job not firefighter training.

BM'S FEELING THAT COPS BOTCHED INVESTIGATION
McCollum says if somebody kidnapped her, they were very very lucky that it was Mother's Day and her two kids weren't there and the husband wasn't there and the house cameras were down and the alibi of the husband keeps changing. McCollum thinks all his words and denials make look "more and more suspicious." Rabicoff said private polygraphs are easy to procure and BM may have taken one with attorney and the results might not be ideal, but that's not public because it's privileged by attorney-client relationships.

BM told Lauren he's never dated anyone besides Suzanne in his life.

3 hour drive to Denver says Lauren from Salida (assuming mountain roads are slower).

MOO: NG very admiring of Draper. Gives him the most talking time in this podcast.

Just resharing this in case someone wants info from the Nancy Grace episode but doesn't have an hour sit with it. :)

If Barry is guilty, why would he think it be a good idea to dispose of her body along his travel path? I just don’t get it, but we see it all the time. Perhaps he’ll adopt Scott Peterson’s defense and say the real killers knew where I was and disposed of her along my path to frame me?

In regards to the job, it should be easy to confirm right? Has the hotel verified he was to fix a job and/or did his employees show up the next day?

I can’t help but feel for the daughters. I wonder if they have any doubts about their father?

More on IN. R/E Transaction
@marylamby TYVM for you thank you.
Earlier threads raised the possibility of developers and other playing 'games' w sham r/e transactions to jack up prices, but I could not see how that would have happened here.
Re bbm below, iirc the county's webpage showed a 'transfer' w Morphews being Grantors and Grantees, but iirc, the field for 'instrument' or document, where it would usu'ly show WD/warranty deed or QC/quit claim deed, etc., showed something like 'land contract' or 'contract for deed.' Recording that doc gives public notice, say, to potential buyers and to title ins.co's, that someone other than the M's have/may have a legal interest in the prop.
Hope that helps clarify some of the :confused: fuzzies:confused: re prop transactions.
And a big, big, :):)big thank you goes the sleuthers :):) who drilled down to get county recorder's info.

Thank you so much for all of this!
I went back to clarify a few things but it was too late to edit.
You're correct about everything.
The only thing I wasn't clear about was if a seller sells to a family member, that family member would simply xfer the deed back to them at the same price and then he could sell it at the higher price later.
That's not the case here, as you say, as it WAS their previous IN residence that is at issue. My bad!
I'd found the sale, from a year ago, on a RE site but now I see it was the sale/xfer from both Morphews back to both Morphews (??).
And yes, I misspoke when I stated POA instead of guardianship. I need to shut up! The more I learn the more I smh (at myself!).
Excellent info, @al66pine, thanks again for going to such trouble!
Much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Can't get my hopes up that this is Suzanne. But wouldn't it be ironic that the wild outdoorsman placed her in a populated area when he had so many other options. But then maybe he wanted her to be found, so sure that his abduction narrative would be bought by LE, that he didn't worry. We shall see. Anyway, someone's family will find closure. Moo

Is this new info about the bike wheel?

TD to Nancy Grace:
(25:30 minute mark on podcast)

“I can only tell you what I was told by Barry’s own mouth and he actually cut it, cut it short in my video and he was talking about how the bike was found down against the tree at the bottom of the canyon and the wheel was upside down or the wheel was bent or something to that nature..he, he, quickly shifted gears and went in another direction after he realized he probably shouldn’t know that information..err, I don’t know what the situation was but he changed gears..“

Missing mom Suzanne Morphew hubby on secret camera, new evidence revealed

Last edited:
Recap of NG's Crime Stories
Just resharing this in case someone wants info from the Nancy Grace episode but doesn't have an hour sit with it. :)
@allyoucantleavebehind Thank you for your excellent recap. Great to get the gist in a few minutes.
(even the part where :rolleyes:NG implies, again, she is the Mother of the Year.
ETA. Or GoaT-Mother. Hat tip to @MassGuy. LOL)

Last edited:
I am NOT saying the human remains found in Highlands Ranch are Suzanne's, but just want to say that Highlands Ranch is definitely in the realm of possibility in driving from Maysville to Denver. :(

MOO JMO

I looked up the location and it’s a highly residential area. On one hand, if someone is skilled with the outdoors and has the equipment BM has this location seems unlikely. On the other hand, if he had any jobs in the area and he felt like his truck being in that area would be discreet than maybe someplace like this is likely.

Not to be macabre..but has enough time passed where there would be bones found? Wouldn't there still be a body?

Good old Wikipedia says 3 weeks to years for a body to turn into a skeleton based on the outside climate and factors.

Skeletonization - Wikipedia

There is a reservoir in that area as well and water is a factor that contribute to faster decomposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member