KY PROJECT KENTUCKY - Unidentified Persons Cold Cases

Hey everyone!!

I'm sorry I haven't appeared very active in our KY cases, but I still check on them! Apparently I've been missing "replies" and "tags" on here! I'm finding a lot of messages I didn't get notifications for, so if I didn't respond to a comment (anywhere on this forum) it's not because I'm ignoring you! You may have to private message me or something to get my attention, I'm not sure what's going on.

Anyway, I emailed Amy again to see if she'd taken a look at any of our possible missing person matches. If not, I asked about the easiest way of submitting each one individually; there are more than I initially thought and I want each one to be considered!

I hope everyone is safe and well! I'll let you all know when I hear back from Amy!

ETA: Thank you ALL, again, for still caring about KY's UIDs!

Not sure if this has been put on here already but I was looking through the UID's in Kentucky and came across this pair and I have questions if anyone can answer them.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Both of these UID’s were found in the same area and have been linked by maternal DNA does that mean they are brothers? or just two members of the same family?
We still don’t know much about these cases. For awhile there were questions as to the sex of at least one set of remains. My guess is they aren’t sure what the relation is...just that they are related in some way. I could be wrong though, that’s just a theory. It’s an unusual case(s).

They found some remains in Graves County. Is there anything on here related to that yet? It was on one of the Lexington stations other than WKYT (from what I can remember) and there was a suggestion of who it could be. Female.

The Grave County case was entered into Namus a few days ago as UP72963
www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/72963

NamUs #UP72963Unsure, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found March 12, 2020
Location Found Sedalia, Kentucky
County Graves County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal Land Unknown
Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains were brought by two dogs to the tenant of private property. Scattered skeletal remains were recovered.
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Distinctive Physical Features
1. Periostitis of leg bones;
2. Hyperostosis frontalis interna;
3. arthritic changes of some bones

My Google searches of conditions 1 & 2:

1. Periostitis is an inflammation of the periosteum, which is the most external part of the bone. Usually, the most frequent occurence is tibial periostitis. This type of condition particularly affects runners due to repeated stress induced by rapid impacts and a prolonged and/or too intense contraction of the posterior tibial muscle . This muscle is located at the front of the inner leg.

2. Hyperostosis frontalis interna is an inherited pathological condition which is characterized by thickening of the frontal bone of the skull. This condition is believed to be seen mostly in females. Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna is found to be associated with many different conditions like seizure disorder, migraine headaches, obesity, diabetes insipidus, excessive hair growth, and abnormality in the function of the sex glands.
The excessive growth in the frontal bone of the skull in Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna is seen only on radiological studies and cannot be seen visibly with naked eyes. This is precisely the reason why many cases of Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna go undetected.
Individuals with Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna also tend to have frequent bouts of seizures some of which may last for more than a minute followed by loss of consciousness. Vision abnormalities and excessive body hair are also something that is seen individuals with Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna.

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-30_16-26-53.png
    upload_2020-8-30_16-26-53.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 6
"Post mortem studies report a prevalence of 12% It is most common in women over the age of 65 with 87% of severe hyperostosis frontalis interna occurring in this cohort of patients."
I took this quote from an article that I found interesting it would help to narrow down an age group for this individual. Also looking into the other conditions it leads me to believe that we are looking at a woman mid 60's or older. It doesn't give us much but it's a place to start. I will link the article that contains the information from the quote if anyone wants to read that.

Hyperostosis frontalis interna | Radiology Reference Article | Radiopaedia.org

I hope this one doesn’t turn out to be false hope for her family. Of course no one wants to find their missing loved one dead, but this almost seems just a painful. Hopefully they can determine quickly if it’s her or not.

Thank you Melt for posting the NamUs link!

The Grave County case was entered into Namus a few days ago as UP72963
www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/72963

NamUs #UP72963Unsure, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found March 12, 2020
Location Found Sedalia, Kentucky
County Graves County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal Land Unknown
Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains were brought by two dogs to the tenant of private property. Scattered skeletal remains were recovered.
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Distinctive Physical Features
1. Periostitis of leg bones;
2. Hyperostosis frontalis interna;
3. arthritic changes of some bones

My Google searches of conditions 1 & 2:

1. Periostitis is an inflammation of the periosteum, which is the most external part of the bone. Usually, the most frequent occurence is tibial periostitis. This type of condition particularly affects runners due to repeated stress induced by rapid impacts and a prolonged and/or too intense contraction of the posterior tibial muscle . This muscle is located at the front of the inner leg.

2. Hyperostosis frontalis interna is an inherited pathological condition which is characterized by thickening of the frontal bone of the skull. This condition is believed to be seen mostly in females. Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna is found to be associated with many different conditions like seizure disorder, migraine headaches, obesity, diabetes insipidus, excessive hair growth, and abnormality in the function of the sex glands.
The excessive growth in the frontal bone of the skull in Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna is seen only on radiological studies and cannot be seen visibly with naked eyes. This is precisely the reason why many cases of Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna go undetected.
Individuals with Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna also tend to have frequent bouts of seizures some of which may last for more than a minute followed by loss of consciousness. Vision abnormalities and excessive body hair are also something that is seen individuals with Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna.

LE has a hunch about who this might be.

WestKentuckyStar.aspx

West Kentucky Star - News.

New KY case in Namus UP73223 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
male, partially skeletonised, found in Ashland 18 July 2020. No PMI but a strange estimate on weight (95lb at 5'8 tall) - I wonder if that was the weight of what was located or they really do think the deceased was so slim?
That is strange I don't know how they estimate weight on these type of remains. I would think that at 5'8 he would have weighed way more than that.

New KY case in Namus UP73223 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
male, partially skeletonised, found in Ashland 18 July 2020. No PMI but a strange estimate on weight (95lb at 5'8 tall) - I wonder if that was the weight of what was located or they really do think the deceased was so slim?
Thanks for sharing this!

I don’t about the weight. It seems like an unusual weight though for a man that height, but I’m reminded a little of Denim/Mostly Harmless. He was about that height and weighed only 83 pounds. But he had only been dead a couple of days, so we know that’s an accurate weight. This UID could have weighed 95 pounds when he was found, which makes more sense to me given he was “Partially skeletonized”. A PMI would help to give us a better idea of what to look for.

I’ll had this to the spreadsheet and highlight it for the ME to hopefully clarify!

Weight is low indeed. What I find even stranger... they state that the eyes were missing. At least it's remarkable. You would think it's logical that there are no eyes left in a partially skeletonized body or no recognizable eye color. I wonder why it is phrased like this. Were his eyes taken out? For me it sounds like that.

Last edited:
Hopefully they are looking into previous people who leased the property so to see if any of them are either missing or a possible suspect. With no PMI we have no way of knowing how long the body was actually in the grave but I would suspect it couldn't have been very long if it was only partially skeletonized maybe months and not years?

He is identified.

Body Found In Christian County Identified as Clarksville Man

The body was sent to a medical examiner in Louisville and through missing person’s reports and dental records, the body was identified as 39-year-old Jason Littleton, of Clarksville.

I can't find the post now but his mother reported him missing after he left her home at 8 in the morning. The night before she received a call from an unknown person that stated that her son owed him money and he wanted his money. Her son told her he didn't know what that call was about or who it was but he got up early the next morning and left the home never to be seen again. I don't know this man but I spent 12 years in Clarksville and know a lot about the illegal side of that town it sounds to me this was a drug related murder. I hope that LE takes his death seriously and finds his killer or killers.

So, I've been browsing Kentucky UID cases on NamUs. There are sixty-six in total.
Madame Amy is listed as a case contributor on this one for example:
The entry is quite detailed in descriptions, content and supplementary material. An excellent job.
So I was looking for possible matches to this UID and look what I found.
This missing man seems to be an exact match to the UID right down to the shoe size. The only thing is he was reported missing the same day the UID was found but nothing says if the UID was found in the morning, night or what time of day. I just thought it all lined up too well to over look. What does everyone else think?

This missing man seems to be an exact match to the UID right down to the shoe size. The only thing is he was reported missing the same day the UID was found but nothing says if the UID was found in the morning, night or what time of day. I just thought it all lined up too well to over look. What does everyone else think?
Nice find! They look very similar. I checked to make sure Mother’s Day was on the 9th in 1976, and it was, so the dates are the same. It would be cutting it very close...as in hours, but I don’t think it’s impossible. Too many things match! I will add him to our list of possibles and if you’re able, I’d say go ahead and submit them yourself as well!

Thanks for caring about Kentucky! :)

Nice find! They look very similar. I checked to make sure Mother’s Day was on the 9th in 1976, and it was, so the dates are the same. It would be cutting it very close...as in hours, but I don’t think it’s impossible. Too many things match! I will add him to our list of possibles and if you’re able, I’d say go ahead and submit them yourself as well!

Thanks for caring about Kentucky! :)
I submitted him to NamUs got a reply saying they will send the information on to the investigating agency. I really hope that is him and can bring some comfort to his daughter knowing where he has been all these years. I read the article about her and she was just a baby when he went missing she's been searching for him all of her adult life.

Interesting catch. This is from the Doe Network: Mullinax has previously fractured his left hip in a fall out of a tree, and fractured his jaw on both sides in a car accident. I'm not sure if he could be missing and found on the same day with an approx. 7 hours drive in between. But he could have visited his mom in the morning and found just before midnight. Gary Lynn Mullinax – The Charley Project Good you submitted him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back