CONVICTION OVERTURNED GA - Ross Harris Trial Appeal, hot car death of son, Cooper

Ugh, my reply got deleted so trying again... Yeah, part of it's the old lack of reasonable doubt and part of it is claiming that adding the charges of sexting with a minor into the murder charges prevented Ross from having a fair trial.

September 2019:
At the beginning of 2017, Harris’ lawyers filed a motion in Cobb Superior Court for a new trial, claiming the court made several errors that effectively denied Harris a fair trial.

This reportedly included allowing Harris to stand trial for both the death of his son and charges that he sent explicit photos to a minor, and preventing the defense from challenging the credibility of Cobb police detectives.
In their motion for a new trial, Harris’ attorneys state that his conviction is “contrary to the evidence and the principles of justice and equity” and that the prosecution did not disprove their assertion that Cooper’s death was an accident “beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Justin Ross Harris' new murder trial request progresses in Cobb Superior Court
Original documents.

Thank You MsMarple for your answer to the question from above. I knew it wasn't what I offered. I just couldn't remember what it was. I was coming back to research it more.

I sure hope his appeal is denied! After all the trouble the Prosecution went through to convict RH. Having to move his trial to another county and still getting a Guilty Verdict!

"Your honor, what my client did in regards to those females is so shocking that the jury couldn't help convicting my client. They never should have been told that information"

Problem is, it's completely relevant. His behaviors with those females, particularly the texts and conversations as they relate to his wife and child go to his motives. A child free life.

It's not as if they dragged out a shoplifting case from his teen years or something that has no connection to the crime for which he was convicted.

Good luck Ross. :rolleyes:

If you remember the 2016 Ross Harris trial (and it looks like you folks do!), this is a must-see documentary. Due to covid, the film will be screened online September 4th and 6th, 2020. Is it free? No. Is it worth every penny? A thousand times yes.
FATAL DISTRACTION

Is this film about the article with the same title?

May I point out RH's trial was to show beyond a reasonable doubt
that his was not a fatal distraction case but instead was premeditated?

That said, I believe it's important for people to understand fully how the other cases that are fatal distractions occur. IMO it could happen to most people.

I watched the trailer for the new documentary "Fatal Distraction". The main argument for the RH advocates is that it was a change in his routine, which is typically when parents forget their kid in a car. But it wasn't a change in RH's routine. He took Cooper at least 80% of the time and often stopped by the Chik Fil A on the way to daycare. He lied to LE that he didn't even take Cooper half of the time and about his lunchtime car visit.

Another argument I've heard before is that RH may have created a false memory of dropping off Cooper after visiting the drive thru. But he remembered and described a black male customer inside the restaurant, exactly where the man was sitting and how Cooper waved to him. Also, when RH went to work he only had part of his drink. If he had gone through the drive thru he would have also had his breakfast sandwich.

Is this film about the article with the same title?

May I point out RH's trial was to show beyond a reasonable doubt
that his was not a fatal distraction case but instead was premeditated?

That said, I believe it's important for people to understand fully how the other cases that are fatal distractions occur. IMO it could happen to most people.
It's been awhile since I last posted on Websleuths, so I hope I do this right :) The film Fatal Distraction focuses mainly on Ross Harris's case, although Susan Morgan Cooper had Gene Weingarten's blessing to use the title from his article. I received a comment yesterday accusing Susan of "cashing in" on the death of a child. Please know that Susan is not a Hollywood producer. She's an independent producer who finances her own documentaries dealing with social issues.

I couldn't agree with you more that Cooper's death was an accident. The only difference between the Ross Harris case and other hot car deaths (54 in 2018 alone) is that Ross was cheating on his wife.

I watched the trailer for the new documentary "Fatal Distraction". The main argument for the RH advocates is that it was a change in his routine, which is typically when parents forget their kid in a car. But it wasn't a change in RH's routine. He took Cooper at least 80% of the time and often stopped by the Chik Fil A on the way to daycare. He lied to LE that he didn't even take Cooper half of the time and about his lunchtime car visit.

Another argument I've heard before is that RH may have created a false memory of dropping off Cooper after visiting the drive thru. But he remembered and described a black male customer inside the restaurant, exactly where the man was sitting and how Cooper waved to him. Also, when RH went to work he only had part of his drink. If he had gone through the drive thru he would have also had his breakfast sandwich.
Hi, Daisy. Taking Cooper to CFA was actually a big change in routine. The vast majority of time, his routine was 1. Take Cooper to day care 2. Get breakfast in the CFA drive-through and 3. go to work. So when he left CFA that morning, his brain tricked him into believing he'd already dropped Cooper off. This is almost always what happens in these cases. Sometimes the parents even drive to day care after work to pick up their child, not realizing that they never dropped them off that morning.

I couldn't agree with you more that Cooper's death was an accident. The only difference between the Ross Harris case and other hot car deaths (54 in 2018 alone) is that Ross was cheating on his wife.

Quote RSBM.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I think unlike most hot car cases, it was probably not an accident.

What do you think about everything presented at the trial? If you talk about it on your website, I'll try to read it later.

Yeah, and each & every member of any jury should be required to sit in that model of SUV with the rear-facing car seat installed and back that SUV into a parking space!

Sorry, ya'll know I'm not yelling at you!

JMHO YMMV

Yeah, still promoting this. Try it yourself, car seat or no, put your right hand on the passenger seat, look over your right shoulder -- where is your elbow? Bumping the car seat, most likely.

Although safely fitted to the child & the vehicle, Cooper was a bit tall for this car seat. The top of his precious head showed over the top of the car seat. I let the certification lapse, but have been a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, trained to perform public car seat checks.

What are Child Passenger Safety Technicians? Find a Local CPS Tech - Safe Ride 4 Kids

So Cooper's wispy toddler hair was in his father's line-of-sight as he backed into that parking place. Cooper's hair, directly above Ross' right elbow.

JMPO YMMV LRR

Quote RSBM.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I think unlike most hot car cases, it was probably not an accident.

What do you think about everything presented at the trial? If you talk about it on your website, I'll try to read it later.
I'm so sorry. I DID misunderstand you. Yes, the website contains the major issues that the public considered damaging to his case. Each issue has a direct link to the trial testimony, so you can consider both sides, the prosecution's and the defense's. That would be a good place to start, I think.

Yeah, still promoting this. Try it yourself, car seat or no, put your right hand on the passenger seat, look over your right shoulder -- where is your elbow? Bumping the car seat, most likely.

Although safely fitted to the child & the vehicle, Cooper was a bit tall for this car seat. The top of his precious head showed over the top of the car seat. I let the certification lapse, but have been a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician, trained to perform public car seat checks.

What are Child Passenger Safety Technicians? Find a Local CPS Tech - Safe Ride 4 Kids

So Cooper's wispy toddler hair was in his father's line-of-sight as he backed into that parking place. Cooper's hair, directly above Ross' right elbow.

JMPO YMMV LRR
If I'm misunderstanding you, I apologize, but Ross didn't back into a parking space. He pulled forward into the space. The black pen is pointing to Ross's vehicle. To the left is a small island with a tree that provided shade, off and on, until about 1 PM. To the right is another car with its driver's side facing Ross's driver's side. Eight people walked right by his car before noon that day.

Attachments

• Island, tree, car good shot.png
    Island, tree, car good shot.png
    316.7 KB · Views: 41
The link below is from the trial, and shows prosecution witness Greg Sanders' testimony regarding the parking lot surveillance cameras. You'll see the owner of the black vehicle, parked beside Ross's, enter his car at noon and take off, probably going to lunch. If you want to kill your child as quickly as possible, before anyone can discover him, you don't park under a tree and next to another car. It's so totally inconsistent with murder.
Marker 1:14

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back