Othram - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford County John Doe (1983)

Here is another case I'd like to recommend. This is a victim of serial killer Larry Eyler.

Unlike his other unidentified victims (save one who had an even more depressing demise), this man doesn't even have an entry on NamUs.
All that remains to be solved is his identity. The man has been reduced to a footnote on a Wikipedia page and a passing mention in two articles whose traffic has peaked. One of those articles is the sole source for the reconstruction photo I could find.

At the very least they could make a NamUs profile for him. Could it be that he's been identified and the police informed his family without publicizing the fact? I'd like to believe so but it's just as likely his existence has been forgotten.

I read this article on Rodney Johnson's case, a case you worked on.
Another ID through DNA: Who killed Rodney Johnson? | HeraldNet.com

Johnson came from a family with many cousins. His mother, June, had three brothers and five sisters. Yet he was about the only cousin Eleanore “Ellie” Perry, 64, of Anacortes, never got to know. Perry, it turned out, is a genealogy hobbyist, and she was well aware that law enforcement has been using the combined powers of family genetic history and crime scene forensics to solve seemingly unsolvable cold cases in recent years.

Earlier this year, Perry gave police permission to use her DNA in criminal investigations through a public genealogy database. It was a decision she weighed for weeks before deciding to check a box saying she would “opt in” — figuring she had nothing to lose.

“You can check me out, I have a clean record,” Perry said. “I don’t have nothing to hide.”

I hope someone's looking for this guy too.

Sheriff – Ford County Illinois

Ford County John Doe (1983)

snipped by @othram

Here is another case I'd like to recommend. This is a victim of serial killer Larry Eyler.

I read this article on Rodney Johnson's case, a case you worked on.
Another ID through DNA: Who killed Rodney Johnson? | HeraldNet.com

I hope someone's looking for this guy too.

Sheriff – Ford County Illinois

Yes, thanks we will look at the case, thanks for sending it over. As for the Rodney case, there is nothing public to disclose yet but I will tell you that the investigators at Snohomish are excellent and they have more or less figured out what happened. They are working through details now and will hopefully update folks in due time.

Yes, thanks we will look at the case, thanks for sending it over. As for the Rodney case, there is nothing public to disclose yet but I will tell you that the investigators at Snohomish are excellent and they have more or less figured out what happened. They are working through details now and will hopefully update folks in due time.
Woah, thank you! Glad to hear it.

@othram I wonder if you had any response from Los Angeles County about Wilmington John Doe and Long Beach John Doe cases?

As we understand, the Wilmington John Doe case is in progress, however, we are not involved. We have not heard re: Long Beach John Doe, but will continue to reach out.

As we understand, the Wilmington John Doe case is in progress, however, we are not involved. We have not heard re: Long Beach John Doe, but will continue to reach out.
I know that Long Beach John Doe '79 got a recent reconstruction from NCMEC, so I feel like the case will hopefully get a bit of traction! Thank you again!

@othram have you received any inquiries from Canada, or any other countries? There are many Canadian cold cases that I would love to see worked on at some point, but not too sure how open the RCMP/other investigating agencies have been to this technology. These four come to mind in particular.

1046UMAB
720UMSK
498UFSK
The Doe Network: Case File 438UFON

I didn't know you worked on murder cases as well. Congratulations!
How often or rare are unsolved murder cases that could presumably be solved this way?

We work all cases, active and cold, where law enforcement is looking to identify a victim or suspect. Many of this unidentified folks and unknown suspects could be identified if more folks used advanced DNA testing methods. This is why its so important to share successes -- so other folks will see what can be done and take advantage of these tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74