Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question.

<modsnip>

Would it be normal for LE not to find these men and see exactly what went down concerning this "threat"?

Also, why did these workers NOT contact BM to see what was going on and ask about the tools? They just sat there for, what 2 days inhaling chlorine fumes, waiting for him to call them? That's strange, IMO.
LE had BM's phone. moo

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessarily. Many factors in an investigation may cause a polygraph to be offered to one subject and not to another.

For example, it's possible (or even likely) that different investigators interviewed Barry and MG. Investigator "A" may have a standard practice of asking interviewees to take polygraphs. Investigator "B" may not have that standard practice.

Another factor is whether -- in the eyes of a given investigator -- the mention of a polygraph is likely to raise defensiveness on the part of the subject. Perhaps the detective who spoke to Barry believed that mention of a polygraph might be counterproductive.
I think it’s highly probable that CBI conducted the interviews with BM, and not local law enforcement. They seem to be taking a very active role here, like we saw in the Watts case.

Andy said that he was told by CBI that Barry refused a polygraph, and I have no reason to disbelieve that. Especially when coupled with BM saying he wasn’t offered one, which is flat out insane.

This is the exact type of case where I’d expect polygraphs to be used extensively. 30 hours of interviews and no polygraph? In the words of Kevin McAllister, “I don’t think so.”

Last edited:
This is certainly possible, but if that had been the plan, his so-called alibi of shopping 11 miles away in Salida that afternoon is pretty shaky. If it had been a solid plan, he should have been far away in Broomfield Saturday morning, with all the tools, dirt and stone already delivered Friday, and he should have been diligently working at the site all day, jump-starting the project for employees coming in Sunday night/Monday, and spending time on the hotel's guest computer looking at innocent things, in the dining room with project plans, talking to the desk clerks, buying dinner at a nearby restaurant with his credit card, wherever he could be seen on video . SM's body would have been found at the house Sunday and the house 'ransacked.' Home invasion.

Well, I don't think there was any dine-in restaurant where he could hang out with project plans and people. Nor do I think HIE would allow its clerks to chat - they're likely behind plexiglass and there was contactless check-in, IIRC. Much harder to establish that kind of alibi - so a person trying to do that in Bloomfield would go to open businesses with security cameras. I suppose.

I imagine all shared computers in the lobby were closed as well.

BM did make himself seen on video, it appears. And he probably bought something in Broomfield's WalMart, I imagine.

I don't buy that he was in Salida at all, shopping. That's just what he told someone, and that someone then told a bunch of other people, until a group of his friends and supporters all believed it to be true.

I bet there's no trace of any shopping (or video) in Salida on Saturday afternoon.

I think it’s highly probable that CBI conducted the interviews with BM, and not local law enforcement. They seem to be taking a very active role here, like we saw in the Watts case.

Andy said that he was told by CBI that Barry refused a polygraph, and I have no reason to disbelieve that. Especially when coupled by BM saying he wasn’t offered one, which is flat out insane.

This is the exact type of case where I’d expect polygraphs to be used extensively. 30 hours of interviews and no polygraph? In the words of Kevin McAllister, “I don’t think so.”

Again, not necessarily. If Barry had counsel yet still was willing to speak with investigators for 30 hours, I'd be willing to bet that counsel negotiated certain terms for the questioning. One of the first terms would've been that a polygraph would not happen. I know because I've negotiated that type of stipulation before myself when clients have agreed to be interviewed.

Again, not necessarily. If Barry had counsel yet still was willing to speak with investigators for 30 hours, I'd be willing to bet that counsel negotiated certain terms for the questioning. One of the first terms would've been that a polygraph would not happen. I know because I've negotiated that type of stipulation before myself when clients have agreed to be interviewed.
That’s not how it was put to Andy, and there’s nothing to indicate Barry had a lawyer at that point. They said he refused, which is different then not being able to ask under terms of an agreement with counsel.

Hell, if he had a lawyer at this point, I’d be surprised. Barry won’t stop talking to Lauren, and he isn’t doing himself any favors.

G

It would be interesting to know that but I doubt he hung out with felons or drug addicts in Indiana. I’m not sure about other friends though.
There is several reasons why I had wondered if BM knew any of these workers or friends before moving to Colorado.

MG said something about working with him for a long time (verbatim).

IIRC they moved to Colorado in 2018? Would a person in that short of s time frame have a best friend who you trusted enough to involve him and/or her in regards to your wife missing? Even as just an alibi possibly?

Also, why did BM and SM move to Colorado? Daughter college? Friend from Indiana had relocated there previously? Could BM have met somebody online/social media that lived there? Did BM push for this move so he could isolate SM more? Did someone persuade/convince BM/SM to move there as a business adventure/opportunity? Possibly a joint bsiness adventure? Under the table business adventure/partnership? Did BM have a landscaping business in Indiana? If not, what did he previously do?

And another aspect of this is curious as to finances/money involved? IIRC SM (per AM) received either half million or 1 million, which neither of those amounts probably wouldn't even pay for the house itself?

So, to sum it up- did BM actually have a profitable landscaping business or is it possibly a situation like Fotis Dulos case where he, Fotis, really didn't have a profitable business but rather lived the high life on his wife's money who then also disappeared and has never been found?

And if it wasn't SM's money? or successful landscaping business, then where was the funds coming from? Possibly from something related to why the move to Colorado? I don't know??

That’s not how it was put to Andy, and there’s nothing to indicate Barry had a lawyer at that point. They said he refused, which is different then not being able to ask under terms of an agreement with counsel.

Hell, if he had a lawyer at this point, I’d be surprised. Barry won’t stop talking to Lauren, and he isn’t doing himself any favors.

IIRC, Andy said that he was told that Barry refused to take a polygraph. That doesn't necessarily mean that Barry was asked, "Will you take a polygraph?" A blanket refusal to even contemplate a polygraph as a precondition to an interview can be viewed as a refusal.

I do not know whether Barry had an attorney or not, but he'd be very foolish to agree to 30 hours of police interviews without counsel. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that any husband of a missing woman -- even if he's innocent -- should immediately hire counsel right after calling 9-1-1 to report her missing.

I can't disagree that Barry's interviews haven't helped. Indeed, from the very
beginning, Barry should've remained silent & instead hired an attorney to serve as a family spokesman. This person could've cultivated a better relationship with the media & the CCSO.

Last edited:
IIRC, Andy said that he was told that Barry refused to take a polygraph. That doesn't necessarily mean that Barry was asked, "Will you take a polygraph?" A blanket refusal to even contemplate a polygraph as a precondition to an interview can be viewed as a refusal.

I do not know whether Barry had an attorney or not, but he'd be very foolish to agree to 30 hours of police interviews without counsel. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that any husband of a missing woman -- even if he's innocent -- should immediately hire counsel right after calling 9-1-1 to report her missing.
And if any husband immediately contacts an attorney right after reporting his wife missing, the alarm bells would be ringing for me.

Not once have I ever seen an innocent person do that. To me, it clearly states “I’m worried more about me than my missing wife.”

Of course Fotis Dulos did that, and Patrick Frazee did as well (although he didn’t even bother to file a report).

A couple of cold blooded narcissistic killers, so I guess it’s not that surprising.

And if any husband immediately contacts an attorney right after reporting his wife missing, the alarm bells would be ringing for me.

Not once have I ever seen an innocent person do that. To me, it clearly states “I’m worried more about me than my missing wife.”

Of course Fotis Dulos did that, and Patrick Frazee did as well (although he didn’t even bother to file a report).

A couple of cold blooded narcissists, so I guess it’s not that surprising.

Perhaps to you it would mean alarm bells. To me, it means that the husband knows that he needs help during a time when he's in no shape emotionally to think clearly, all the while knowing that he is often the first person suspected by the government.

JP told LS he met up with him Saturday afternoon, in Salida.
So, MG isn't the only one claiming this, but JP says it firsthand.
I've posted the link several times:
Suzanne Morphew’s husband left Denver hotel, contractor claims room was “reeking of chlorine” | FOX21 News Colorado

Listen at :44 in.

Thank you. I'm not confident about JP's timeline skills right now. But it is interesting that JP gives BM a place to be on Saturday afternoon (and then MG apparently repeats what JP told her).

Hmmm.

I can't disagree that Barry's interviews haven't helped. Indeed, from the very
beginning, Barry should've remained silent & instead hired an attorney to serve as a family spokesman. This person could've cultivated a better relationship with the media & the CCSO.
BBM
I don't agree.
I wouldn't.
Cheryl Berreth didn't. Her and her son were taken to the police station, after calling 911, where they talked with police for about 12 hours.
MOO is if you aren't lying then you don't need an attorney.

Patrick Frazee murder trial: Family, police describe suspicions after Kelsey Berreth’s disappearance

True. However, I also think common sense dictates that if MG was offered a polygraph, BM would have also been offered to test.

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone other than BM would be offered a polygraph test. They aren't just offered to any witness, or to both sides of a swearing contest.

Controversies about use of the polygraph have led to the development of model policies for their use. I'm not sure CCSO has such a policy, but here is an excerpt from one of the models, as to when a polygraph will be authorized:

Approval Criteria

When authorizing an examination, the approval authority should:

1) Determine that investigation by other means has been as thorough as circumstances reasonably permit. Polygraph effectiveness and accuracy
are greatest when relevant issues and the examinee's ~knowledge of the matter under
investigation have been narrowly defined and well-defined.

2) Insure that the proposed examinee has been interviewed and that consistent with the
circumstances of the case, the development of additional information by means of polygraph is essential and timely for further conduct of the investigation. Use of polygraph should not be a "last resort" effort to salvage a case. The decision as to when polygraph should be used in the investigative process must be based on individual case circumstances-·weighing the exigencies of the situation against the improved capability of the technique to fully resolve issues resulting from greater investigative thoroughness.

3) Verify that there is reasonable cause to believe the person to be examined has knowledge of or was involved in the matter under investigation, or is withholding information relevant to the investigation. Dragnet-type screening of large numbers of suspects should be avoided.

4) Consideration should also be given to the following:

-Age factor (a waiver must be obtained from a parent or guardian if a minor is examined);
-Known physical or mental abnormalities;
-Ensuring full security for an examinee in custody;
-Ensuring pending prosecution is not jeopardized; and
-Results of any prior polygraph examinations afforded the
examinee.

Just looking at search options in such a vast mountainous area...believe i would prob focus on areas more likely frequented by hunters and/or off roadsters...away from hiking trails and well traveled areas.
Away from the local town Salida...prob west of the home.
If she was moved after dark in a short time frame of two hours up to midnight then she may not be far. This kind of area and others like it that fit a similar time frame..i would check closely looking for a shallow grave...scattered clothing..shoes etc...if she was removed from the home after being wrapped in something then those items could be discarded or hidden in a separate location...random tarp or piece of plastic found should be looked at carefully
I would start with roads south off of Hwy 50...west of the home..within 30 min drive

Last edited:
FYI polygraphs- When I was in my late 20s, I left the Air Force and went to work for the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation. Not as an agent, but as a computer operator. We all got the tour though.

The lead polygraph agent told us he could make anyone fail a polygraph by the way he asked the questions. Someone in the group asked why would anyone trust a polygraph in that case. He said something like you have to trust the professionalism and integrity of the polygraph questioner/technician.

After hearing that , I knew I would never take a polygraph test. I’m skeptical of motives to the point of cynicism. I believe almost all LE want to get justice for the victim. I’m also certain that some tiny percentage wants to close cases, whether or not they get the right perpetrator. How can anyone trust a person they don’t know that much.

Anyway, I understand why so many people here will not take a lie detector test. LE knows that a certain percentage of people will pass them, lying or not, so it won’t focus their attention on other perps. So why would anyone take one?

Here's what MG says when Lauren says ".... but she declined a polygraph". MG: "Like, I know my rights, and I don't have anything to hide", as her head swings from side to side, much like one of those clowns at the fairgrounds. You actually almost need to be a code breaker to decipher what she says there, I slowed it down and kept replaying it.
PS: How do we know she didn't hand over her phone because they had a warrant .... just a thought.

Just looking at search options in such a vast mountainous area...believe i would prob focus on areas more likely frequented by hunters and/or off roadsters...away from hiking trails and well traveled areas.
Away from the local town Salida...prob west of the home.
If she was moved after dark in a short time frame of two hours up to midnight then she may not be far. This kind of area and others like it that fit a similar time frame..i would check closely looking for a shallow grave...scattered clothing..shoes etc...if she was removed from the home after being wrapped in something then those items could be discarded or hidden in a separate location...random tarp or piece of plastic found should be looked at carefully
Personally I hope they start searching under the rivers edge/beach to stop my mind from wandering where it should not go. All that pacing and looking out the window while staying with a friend doesn't scream of innocence to me.

A couple of cold blooded narcissistic killers, so I guess it’s not that surprising.
I can't help but think of dear Scott Peterson...
"One detective found a phone book on a kitchen counter, opened to a full-page ad for a defense lawyer. Peterson was reported to be completely calm. Modesto police detectives Jon Buehler and Allen Brocchini, the lead investigators on the case, questioned Scott Peterson that evening..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken