GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

TIMELINE THUS FAR:
Sat Sept 12, 2020 2PM
AB meets “buyer” @ K&W Cafeteria at Cameron Village, Raleigh, NC to sell Range Rover from Craigslist ad. The cafeteria has closed during pandemic; other stores’ surveillance points away from K&W. AB was wearing Patagonia shorts, a grey shirt w mountain image & flip-flops.

Sun Sept 13, 2020 4:38 (AM/PM?)
Last Venmo transaction to (?)

Mon Sept 14, 2020
LE locates Range Rover in Danville, VA.

What else do we know to add?

I wonder who picked the meet-up location? If not AB, did they know about the lack of video at K&W?

TIMELINE THUS FAR:
Sat Sept 12, 2020 2PM
AB meets “buyer” @ K&W Cafeteria at Cameron Village, Raleigh, NC to sell Range Rover from Craigslist ad. The cafeteria has closed during pandemic; other stores’ surveillance points away from K&W. AB was wearing Patagonia shorts, a grey shirt w mountain image & flip-flops.

Mon Sept 14, 2020

What else do we know to add?

I wonder who picked the meet-up location? If not AB, did they know about the lack of video at K&W?

According to this article, Saturday at 1:42pm was the last time Andy checked his phone.

911 call to report him missing was just before 8pm on Saturday.

Missing Raleigh man’s car located in Danville, Virginia | CBS 17

I'm wondering if AB has any known links to Danville or the surrounding area where his vehicle was found.

It's a bit strange to steal a vehicle like this and then abandon it.

For that reason, I still think there's a possibility here, albeit a remote one, that AB left the area voluntarily for some unknown reason.

I'm leaving voluntarily missing on the list of possible scenarios for now.

There might be something going on with him right now, financially, personally, psychologically, etc., that his friends and family are unaware of.

He may have impulsively decided to take off and take a break from his normal life.

This would be best case scenario.

JMO.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if AB has any known links to Danville or the surrounding area where his vehicle was found.

It's a bit strange to steal a vehicle like this and then abandon it.

For that reason, I still think there's a possibility here, albeit a remote one, that AB left the area voluntarily for some unknown reason.
I'm leaving voluntarily missing on the list of possible scenarios for now.

There might be something going on with him right now, financially, personally, psychologically, etc., that his friends/family are unaware of, and he may have just needed to get away for a while.

This would be best case scenario.

JMO.
well if he made a venmo transaction on Sunday that would indicate he was ok at that time? I'm confused now.

According to this article, Saturday at 1:42pm was the last time Andy checked his phone.

911 call to report him missing was just before 8pm on Saturday.

Missing Raleigh man’s car located in Danville, Virginia | CBS 17

TIMELINE REVISED:
Sat Sept 12, 2020 1:42 PM

Sat Sept 12, 2020 before 8 PM
AB is reported missing.

Mon Sept 14, 2020

well if he made a venmo transaction on Sunday that would indicate he was ok at that time? I'm confused now.

The Venmo transaction was someone else paying Andy, so it wouldn’t indicate anything about Andy’s condition at that time.

I do hope he’s found alive. The burner phone used by the ‘buyer’ really concerns me.

TIMELINE REVISED:

AB is reported missing.

Mon Sept 14, 2020
add this:Missing Raleigh man's car, phone spotted around Pittsylvania County

SABBM:

"He met two people from Craigslist to try and sell his car," friend Amanda Finch told the Star-Tribune this morning. "He hasn’t been seen or heard from since.
<snip>
A respondent to Finch's Facebook post about Banks's disappearance reported seeing his silver 2012 Range Rover off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off. <snip>

The last sighting of his car was last night around 8:30 p.m.

Banks's cell phone was also found on North Carolina interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

"We have friends that are tech people," Finch said. "They were able to look through Andy's messages through a cloud on his laptop that was at home. They were able to find out that the phone number they were using to text Andy was a burner phone."
noting it does not say where from the snip.

add this:Missing Raleigh man's car, phone spotted around Pittsylvania County

SABBM:

"He met two people from Craigslist to try and sell his car," friend Amanda Finch told the Star-Tribune this morning. "He hasn’t been seen or heard from since.
<snip>
A respondent to Finch's Facebook post about Banks's disappearance reported seeing his silver 2012 Range Rover off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off. <snip>

The last sighting of his car was last night around 8:30 p.m.

Banks's cell phone was also found on North Carolina interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

"We have friends that are tech people," Finch said. "They were able to look through Andy's messages through a cloud on his laptop that was at home. They were able to find out that the phone number they were using to text Andy was a burner phone."
noting it does not say where from the snip.
TIMELINE REVISION #3:
AB meets 2 “buyers” @ K&W Cafeteria at Cameron Village, Raleigh, NC to sell Range Rover from Craigslist ad. The cafeteria has closed during pandemic; other stores’ surveillance points away from K&W. AB was wearing Patagonia shorts, a grey shirt w mountain image & flip-flops. “Buyers” contact phone was a burner phone.

AB is reported missing.

Sun Sept 13, 2020 8:30PM
AB’s silver 2012 Range Rover is reported off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off.

Sun or Mon Sept 13/14, 2020 Time?
AB’s cell phone was found on NC interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

Mon Sept 14, 2020

HELP FIND ANDY BANKS:
CrimeStoppers 919-834-HELP
Raleigh PD 919-996-3335

Andy Banks is a good friend of ours and this is absolutely devastating news. Cameron Village is a very nice area of town too.

It sounds like he met them and I imagine they went on a test drive for the vehicle and at that point they had him.

What is the incentive for a crime like this?

Hi Jeepguy,

So very sorry about your friend, this is tragic.

IMO, crimes like this are usually about money and financial gain at someone else's expense. Like a car jacking/kidnapping under the guise of wanting to buy a used vehicle. Some evil person or persons decide they want something, and they don't care who they have to hurt to get it; they never think they'll get caught.

UPDATE: The FBI now helping in the search for Andy Banks by providing technical assistance to Raleigh PD, per a spokesperson. More at 6 on @WNCN

https://twitter.com/ColleenWNCN/status/1305622681866338304

Missing Raleigh man’s SUV located in Danville, Virginia; FBI assisting | CBS 17

Interesting. I bet there is a lot of data to be gleaned from the Range Rover’s onboard computer and the FBI has the tools to get it quickly.

Hoping Andy is found soon and alive.

TIMELINE REVISION #3:

AB meets 2 “buyers” @ K&W Cafeteria at Cameron Village, Raleigh, NC to sell Range Rover from Craigslist ad. The cafeteria has closed during pandemic; other stores’ surveillance points away from K&W. AB was wearing Patagonia shorts, a grey shirt w mountain image & flip-flops. “Buyers” contact phone was a burner phone.

AB is reported missing.

Sun Sept 13, 2020 8:30PM
AB’s silver 2012 Range Rover is reported off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off.

Sun or Mon Sept 13/14, 2020 Time?
AB’s cell phone was found on NC interstate 440 heading west from Raleigh toward Danville.

Mon Sept 14, 2020

HELP FIND ANDY BANKS:
CrimeStoppers 919-834-HELP
Raleigh PD 919-996-3335
Well done @JudgeJoe

Missing Raleigh man’s SUV located in Danville, Virginia; FBI assisting | CBS 17

From this article :

A 911 call was released Monday afternoon and said that after Banks planned to sell his Range Rover he planned to walk to the corner of St. Mary’s Street and Wade Avenue where his newer car, a BMW, was parked.

From G-Maps calculations, this would be a 2 hour walk. Yes, it's possible Andy loved walking - just struck me as odd. Possibly nothingness.

ETA - wrong K & W location - approx. walking time to correct location is 11 - 12 minutes. Many thanks for locals' corrections.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/K&W+Cafeteria,+Bastion+Lane,+Raleigh,+NC/35.7957082,-78.6529432/@35.7886077,-78.6348308,14z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x89ac5eb6b45c0f83:0x6beab8f432740789!2m2!1d-78.5837036!2d35.7976141!1m0!3e2

Last edited:
An important safety tip:

Any online transaction is best done by meeting at your local police dept. Someone nefarious will not want to meet there to transact. Many PDs in the burbs even have 1 or 2 dedicated parking spots, some with video monitoring, for people completing online buy/sales.

For a vehicle sale, do not go with the person. Take their license & take a picture of it, take a picture of them, make sure you have a picture of your vehicle, and let them take a test drive, if you feel comfortable. Always meet at the police dept, ask a cop to hang out nearby if you are alone and want another set of eyes.

From this article :

From G-Maps calculations, this would be a 2 hour walk. Yes, it's possible Andy loved walking - just struck me as odd. Possibly nothingness.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/K&W+Cafeteria,+Bastion+Lane,+Raleigh,+NC/35.7957082,-78.6529432/@35.7886077,-78.6348308,14z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x89ac5eb6b45c0f83:0x6beab8f432740789!2m2!1d-78.5837036!2d35.7976141!1m0!3e2

Something is off with whatever you’ve plugged in. It’s really a 10-15 min walk tops.

*Edit: you have the wrong K&W.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back