Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57 #2 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this has been posted here before, but this case was thought to be connected to this boy's around the time she was found. I can't find any info on it aside from the newspaper archives on the website linked in the sources. If she was identified or if there were ever any leads, it doesn't look like they were ever made public....
East Bronx Jane Doe

A few more thoughts on the case-
The surgical scars on his genitals, as well as the fact he might have been raised as a girl, really make me think he might have been intersex.
I also wouldn't be surprised if he came from some sort of orphanage or group home, and/or that he may have had some sort of developmental disability. Most developmentally disabled people 'look' completely normal... I know someone further up the thread said that he 'looked' autistic, but as an autistic person myself I can guarantee you that there's no facial features associated with autism, or a way to tell someone is autistic just by looking at them. It's not like Down syndrome or FAS where most people with it have distinctive facial features. That being said, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he was disabled.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before, but this case was thought to be connected to this boy's around the time she was found. I can't find any info on it aside from the newspaper archives on the website linked in the sources. If she was identified or if there were ever any leads, it doesn't look like they were ever made public....
East Bronx Jane Doe

A few more thoughts on the case-
The surgical scars on his genitals, as well as the fact he might have been raised as a girl, really make me think he might have been intersex.
I also wouldn't be surprised if he came from some sort of orphanage or group home, and/or that he may have had some sort of developmental disability. Most developmentally disabled people 'look' completely normal... I know someone further up the thread said that he 'looked' autistic, but as an autistic person myself I can guarantee you that there's no facial features associated with autism, or a way to tell someone is autistic just by looking at them. It's not like Down syndrome or FAS where most people with it have distinctive facial features. That being said, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he was disabled.

Wow, it really does sound like the East Bronx Jane Doe and the Boy in the Box could be related cases. Both abused and discarded in similar ways. (Hypothetical: Why did her case not receive equal attention through the years?) Poor little-ones. (ETA: She has a thread on WS:
NY - NY - East Bronx, Girl, ~5, in Rodman's Neck Park, Aug'57)

I wonder if she was identified or could be through DNA. What if identifying one leads to solving both cases?

The link from Goecke's link with her case info:
Archives-text page 5

Wow, it really does sound like the East Bronx Jane Doe and the Boy in the Box could be related cases. Both abused and discarded in similar ways. (Hypothetical: Why did her case not receive equal attention through the years?) Poor little-ones. (ETA: She has a thread on WS:
NY - NY - East Bronx, Girl, ~5, in Rodman's Neck Park, Aug'57)

I wonder if she was identified or could be through DNA. What if identifying one leads to solving both cases?

The link from Goecke's link with her case info:
Archives-text page 5

This is very interesting. Hopefully both cases can be worked to determine if there is, in fact, a connection.

This is very interesting. Hopefully both cases can be worked to determine if there is, in fact, a connection.

There are so many cases out of this area, though, that I can understand if LE prioritizes more recent cases where justice is more likely. But these cases have really touched people.

It's also possible East Bronx Jane Doe could have been a copy-cat, if "Boy in the Box" was getting a lot of press at the time. It would be so interesting to hear what LE thinks.

There are so many cases out of this area, though, that I can understand if LE prioritizes more recent cases where justice is more likely. But these cases have really touched people.

It's also possible East Bronx Jane Doe could have been a copy-cat, if "Boy in the Box" was getting a lot of press at the time. It would be so interesting to hear what LE thinks.

Its bandwidth and funding, but we are hoping to help fund and solve as many as possible. Ultimately, as the technology becomes more mainstream, its likely that larger grant opportunities will support the work as well.

Regarding finding his relatives, I almost worry in his case that they may not know who he is. Or those who did being possibly deceased. These were times where unwed pregnant women were secretly sent away to give birth and forced to give up their babies for adoption. If this is the case, his mother's family may never have known she was pregnant.

Regarding the evidence, did they ever determine when the bassinet was purchased? If it was more recent he could have a younger sibling who was either never told about their brother or was told he died of an illness or something vague.

I wonder what they meant by this? “There has been within the last six months extraordinary progress from sources all over the world,” said Howard Lebofsky.
Sounds to me like its very possible that the boy may not be native to the US and might have come somewhere from Europe as some people have theorized.

Sounds to me like its very possible that the boy may not be native to the US and might have come somewhere from Europe as some people have theorized.
All immigration is tribal,so he probably would have had some relative in the states who immigrated around the time the same boy or his family did,though it might lead to a dead end of cultural disconnection as the descendants would have been to Americanized to understand the mindset of the said boy's parents if they indeed were immigrants and probably a language barrier if we consider the supposed relatives would not speak English and even if they did it would have been obvious that English was not their first language(it would have been very fragmented,thick accent,not thorough,even some loss of translation)these are the factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave