Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
When do you anticipate us getting back to how we were before Covid-19?

We're a diverse group here, hearing from, and under the rules of our individual leaders.
You've studied and researched much more then most.

For me, personally, in So. California, I'm thinking we will not be back to "normal" until next May, 2021.
What do you think? Please mention where you live.

I live in Montana, and I guess that I don't see things as optimistically as you do. I think that masks are here to stay. Along with the ongoing hyper-everything people are going through. This is our new "normal", so we may as well roll with it.

We're a diverse group here, hearing from, and under the rules of our individual leaders.

For me, personally, in So. California, I'm thinking we will not be back to "normal" until next May, 2021.
Minnesota. Well, most everything has a COVID lean to it, and people seem to be following mask rules. No real events open. I suspect people are following case and death counts and will adhere to state standards far into 2021. Depends on COVID counts once everyone is indoors in winter, plus the availability of a vaccine.

Hi @KALI. Southern Oregon here. I think “back to normal” depends on one’s personal risk tolerance. Although our governor has handled the pandemic quite well IMO, it’s far from over in our state or county or town. For my husband and me (age 76 and almost 75), May of 2021 seems too soon for us to feel comfortable being in large groups or at a movie, going to restaurants (sorry!) or even getting together with friends at home. I don’t anticipate a vaccine to be widely available by then and anyone I associate with could be an asymptomatic carrier. I honestly don’t think we will ever get back to the way we were before Covid-19 as a society. We will always take more precautions. But I hope by this time next year my husband and I will feel comfortable enough to resume most of our previous “in person” activities. Until then, Zoom is our lifeline. :)

This is still unresolved in Australia.

PM told to 'call his dogs off' as stoush erupts over helping stranded Australians overseas

"It's time Scott Morrison called his dogs off and actually took the lead here and worked with the premiers."

Thousands of Australians 'in distress'
The international arrival cap was in place to ensure the hotel quarantine system was not stretched to capacity, but the Federal Government now claims Australia's case load has eased to the extent more people should be allowed into the country.

Mr McCormack today told media he simply wanted to make sure that more Australians could return home.

"There are some heart-wrenching stories," he said.

Federal Attorney General Christian Porter told Perth radio station 6PR about 2,500 Australians overseas were categorised as "in distress" or "need to come home quickly".

More at link

@KALI

West Wales UK here.

Am hoping Christmas will see us back to some sort of normal, assuming a vaccine has begun roll out in November. Regarding the economy, and the 21% increase forecast, I am guessing that is based on it having dropped 31% in the first place, so a 21% increase sounds high but would in fact only be bringing it back to around 70% of the previous high level. So the economy would still be at a contracted level, the way I look at it. We would have to see almost around a 40% increase to get back to where we were. I think that will take a year at least.

AJMO

Russia’s sovereign wealth fund has agreed a deal to sell 100m doses of its Covid-19 vaccine, Sputnik-V, to a major listed pharmaceutical company in India, a source close to the deal has told Reuters.
Clinical trials of the Russian vaccine in India are expected to follow and to be held jointly with this firm, the source said.
Both the trials and supply deal depend on domestic regulatory approval.

US says Covid-19 will 'go away' because of 'herd mentality'

Last edited:
I see us getting back to normal in a year(ish).
The virus will Peter out ......we are seeing schools starting....colleges with breakouts...young people will be more affected ...

I still only shop in grocery stores only. Social distance myself..we order delivery once a week for dinner...
South jersey. Boom.

Last night I saw a commercial announcing Usher's residency at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas starting July 16, 2021, I thought, hmmm, is that the new anticipated "normal" date?

My company and thousands of other large and small companies are still not back to work in my state, most anticipating a return to work in January 2021, as they are keeping employees from returning to work because of an expected "second wave" that will come this Fall.

My guess is we won't be back to somewhat normal until May or June 2021 and probably full return to "normal" in Fall 2021. But this will be the "new" normal, just like after 9/11 in NYC, the last time we had to learn a "new" normal.

Last edited:
Just wondering ... how long do people think it will take to vaccinate the whole USA? Or the portion of people who will be vaccinated.

Presumably that is a part of returning to some kind of normal. And will likely play a big part in international tourism being able to restart.

Has anyone seen any timeline for this kind of rollout?

TN/VA state line (extreme NE TN)
Optimistically, not until at least summer 2021, but more realistically not until towards end of next year, 2021, and that is if we have a proven effective vaccine.
I don't think things will ever be back to how we were before COVID
I hope I'm so wrong, but I think the next 6 months will be mind blowing as compared to the past 6 months. I'm afraid we're going to lose some of our forum members and I pray I'm wrong, but I think most of us will personally know of someone close to us that is killed or left with life altering chronic conditions from this monster virus.
Where I live, there is such apathy and denial over this virus. It's very disheartening.

Hey Kali! I am so sorry about how you have suffered during this time. *hugs* I can't even image when things will be normal again. I believe harder times are ahead of us. It seems every 40 to 50 years dramatic changes happen in lifestyles. When I was young, we were able go to restaurant maybe once every 6 months or so, it was a big deal for all of us to go to KFC after church, so rare that I remember it clearly. Being a military family, life was just very hard. We were very happy though. So much was going on then also, the VN war, protesting, racial riots at school. I have some anxiety even now from those times. We have become very spoiled.

Predicting global recession within the next year and I am very worried about that, perhaps even the next depression. Money will begin drying up and we all have to adjust and as we can see, adjusting doesn't go well. Families may once again go to living in multi-generations because they have to, not because they want to. lol. That is what I see ahead HOWEVER there is hope that I am very wrong. Yet warning signs are going off in my head.

On a side note from another post - from KY and have had all three, measles and chicken pox in Germany at 5 years old. Mumps about 9 years old. All the vaccines in elementary school, the shot and polio sugar cube. Turning 60 this year and have taken the flu shoot the last 5 years.

I live in Montana, and I guess that I don't see things as optimistically as you do. I think that masks are here to stay. Along with the ongoing hyper-everything people are going through. This is our new "normal", so we may as well roll with it.
I went to the vet yesterday and they had removed the temporary yard signs that designated a number for each parking spot with the phone number to call to say you had arrived and replaced them with permanent metal signs saying the same thing. This was in Iowa, and the signs are very much like the permanent handicapped parking signs sunk into the ground on metal posts. Very professional. Probably very costly. Tells me that this business sees that we're in this for the long haul and do not anticipate allowing clients in the building for a very long time.

I thanked them for their caution and care and sanity, especially when Iowa doesn't mandate squat. I live across the river where our governor takes it more seriously. The tech thanked me and we both got a little teary eyed when she told me how vile some other clients have been towards them regarding their precautions. I said I knew, because I had seen it on Facebook, the vile comments levied at various vet clinics who are protecting their staff.

Federal government unveils plans to make coronavirus vaccine free for all Americans

Vaccinations would start gradually among some segments of the population – such as health workers, other essential workers, and the more vulnerable – before eventually ramping up for distribution to all who want it.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s playbook, the vaccination campaign will be “much larger in scope and complexity than seasonal influenza or other previous outbreak-related vaccination responses.”

More at link.

I think that answer depends on how each person was living, prior to all this. Location will also play a big part - fans can attend football games in Kansas City, while people in NYC can't eat in a restaurant.

For me, in Arizona, things are pretty close to normal now. I've been working from home for over 10 years, so there was no change there. My time, outside of the home, revolves around several restaurants, and a bar, all of which have been open since May 11. The owners and patrons of the bar are of a similar mindset, so it's been business-as-usual, with live music and a voluntary approach to distancing. This has allowed them to quickly get business back to a near-normal level. The State has admitted to being shorthanded, in terms of enforcement, so any business that flies under the RADAR is free to function as they see fit. My niece and her friend went to a pub in the city the other night - there were a bunch of kids from ASU walking around without masks, and congregating in large numbers, so my niece and her friend "voted with their feet," and went someplace that felt safer.

Arizona has been a bit different, in that testing has been a fiasco and there is no contact tracing, so we never hear stories of "outbreaks" at this place, or that.

As for complete "normalcy," our State Health Director said that will require a "cure" - either vaccine or effective therapeutics. Until then, restrictions, such as crowd size, will remain in effect.

I went to the vet yesterday and they had removed the temporary yard signs that designated a number for each parking spot with the phone number to call to say you had arrived and replaced them with permanent metal signs saying the same thing. This was in Iowa, and the signs are very much like the permanent handicapped parking signs sunk into the ground on metal posts. Very professional. Probably very costly. Tells me that this business sees that we're in this for the long haul and do not anticipate allowing clients in the building for a very long time.

I thanked them for their caution and care and sanity, especially when Iowa doesn't mandate squat. I live across the river where our governor takes it more seriously. The tech thanked me and we both got a little teary eyed when she told me how vile some other clients have been towards them regarding their precautions. I said I knew, because I had seen it on Facebook, the vile comments levied at various vet clinics who are protecting their staff.

My vet also has a park and call process in place. I am appalled by the lack of consideration I see from other clients that get right next to the staff, without masks, and those trying to get in the locked doors. They have had to temporarily close a few times after potential exposure. My groomer has related to me how insensitive some of her clients have been, asking if she will come to their homes to groom, if she can't get "just one" more in on her schedule, etc. I always tip her generously because she's awesome and my little guy loves her. I took her a package of masks I'd ordered from Old Navy and a bag of pocket size hand sanitizers a couple trips back and she's still thanking me.
I would be lost without them providing what I consider a necessary service.

Just wondering ... how long do people think it will take to vaccinate the whole USA? Or the portion of people who will be vaccinated.

Presumably that is a part of returning to some kind of normal. And will likely play a big part in international tourism being able to restart.

Has anyone seen any timeline for this kind of rollout?

IMOP, the duration of the vaccination effort will depend on the refrigeration requirements for the vaccines. At least one vaccine under development, from Pfizer, requires cryogenic refrigeration for storage and transport, with a service life of 24 hours once it is taken out of its low temperature storage and warms sufficiently to be administered. Pfizer may win the COVID vaccine race. But distributing it could be another matter.

The low temperature storage requirements could prevent multiple channels of distribution that are typically found in the US, such as chain pharmacies and physician’s offices, because they lack the specialized refrigeration equipment. The low temperature refrigeration equipment itself has production challenges on the scale needed. If the other vaccine candidates have similar refrigeration requirements, there will be a distribution bottleneck that will prolong the vaccine campaign for months.

If cryogenic storage is required for all or most of the vaccines approved for use in the US, vaccination will be limited by the ability to store the vaccine. There would likely be a handful of facilities with the ability to store the vaccine in most regions, leading to long waits and scheduling problems. Distribution could take well over a year with our large population and geographical area.

It would be interesting to know if the Chinese and Russian vaccines have similar refrigeration requirements.

CDC director: Masks may protect people better than future COVID-19 vaccine
https://bit.ly/3kAKLLR

EiDGBs6XcAQ12My

https://twitter.com/WNCN/status/1306262335309447169

CDC director: Masks may protect people better than future COVID-19 vaccine | CBS 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph