Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m watching the 20/20 Chris Watts Devil in Disguise episode. The actual footage of Chris arriving at the scene and speaking to LE, the neighbor who immediately showed LE his security cam footage, with Chris right there. When Chris steps away, the neighbor says, something’s not right with him. What’s making me think of this case is how LE knew right off the bat that he was involved. Yet Chris did a media plea that of course backfired. Their marriage looked wonderful on social media. Real life was another story. I’m keeping this all in mind here.

I am still thinking it is Suzanne’s phone. Maybe this is the reason LE have been quiet on disclosing Suzanne’s GPS info to Andy? An after the fact item BM needed to dispose of possibly to be found by a friend? IMO

I am reticent to agree. When I listened to AM talking about this on PE, he said without hesitation that LE said they saw no signs of a struggle in the home and they had not located the phone. I don't think they would be dishonest, even less likely with him MOO? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I’m watching the 20/20 Chris Watts Devil in Disguise episode. The actual footage of Chris arriving at the scene and speaking to LE, the neighbor who immediately showed LE his security cam footage, with Chris right there. When Chris steps away, the neighbor says, something’s not right with him. What’s making me think of this case is how LE knew right off the bat that he was involved. Yet Chris did a media plea that of course backfired. Their marriage looked wonderful on social media. Real life was another story. I’m keeping this all in mind here.

I was amazed when I watched that! That was followed by a pit in my stomach. What an absolute piece of crap he is. (Chris that is!!)

Last edited:
I will try to find, where I found this info time ago! :)
I remember the sale coming out and then it had to be scrubbed because while Dave found the info, it was not in MSM. Then finally someone mentioned it and we could talk about it and that is when it was mentioned it was for his mother. I want to say it was when The PE guys made their debut as a team and Tricia gave them the OK due to their reputations. Anyone remember this?

I am reticent to agree. When I listened to AM talking about this on PE, he said without hesitation that LE said they saw no signs of a struggle in the home and they had not located the phone. Maybe they would be dishonest but why would they with him? Thoughts?
Maybe at the time of LE’s statement they had not yet discerned that it was Suzanne’s phone or it was not located during the search of the home. AM last stated that LE were holding the cell phone pings while offering EVI and GPS to him. IMO So we wait...

ETA GPS not GSP lol

There was snow above 10,000 foot elevation, with two feet remaining on Monarch Crest. The Morphew home is about 8830 ft elevation.
For perspective, Google Earth actually has "street view" from the runs of Monarch Mountain ski area, which allow a fantastic view of what the canyon is like. I dropped the little street view guy down at:

38°30'34.07"N, 106°20'16.01"W

which is 11,198 ft elevation. The views were taken in January 2011. In the background directly above the forward skier, the is a white line tracing up the mountain side, disappearing behind trees and faintly reappearing at the crest. I believe that is the power line cut (lower Colorado Trail) that AM described walking in his search with the neighbor. Where that line disappears, seeming to be about halfway up the mountainside, is actually about the 10,000 foot level. Monarch Crest, above it, averages 11,400 ft.
So back to your question: I stated in another thread that I actually made my living on the business end of a shovel for a while in Colorado Springs, digging all through the winter, and never saw the ground frozen. It is awfully hard, though. Personally, I think that the very minimum tool required would be a Bobcat with one of the higher end backhoe attachments (which can cost as much as a new compact car and has very little use in landscaping). The question becomes:
1. Did BM even own a premium backhoe attachment for his Bobcat?
2. BM would not likely have used a backhoe attachment at the beach job or in Denver. He could have transported his Bobcat on that trailer with a backhoe attachment installed, but it would have been impossible to carry the Bobcat and the backhoe attachment separately, on the same trailer. Did he have time to change one twice, and where was the attachment parked when not on the Bobcat?
One final thought: Using a Bobcat to dig a deep grave is a dangerous operation. The deeply extended bucket and arms exert huge balancing counterweight on the machine, putting it in danger of tipping forward as the arm is curling the bucket to lift the dirt or rock. The resulting tip can plow the operator face first into the earth on the opposite side of the hole. I'm certainly not saying that it can't be done, but where would a landscaper learn to do that?
IMO

The "photo" is a Google Earth screen shot, produced entirely in Google Earth Pro with no external editing.

MOO I haven't seen any reports on the equipment or attachments BM owned and/or rented. He could have rented, borrowed, or owned a back hoe attachment. There was a track hoe at the job site LE searched. BM may or may not had access to it. It would do the exact same work as the Bobcat skid steer with a back hoe attachment. Actually it would probably have gone deeper and wider reach wise. JMO To keep the Bobcat from tipping you would have to balance it with counterweights. You put them on the back to counter the force and weight of the digging and dirt/rock. It also need stability. So thats where the stabilizer bar/bars come into play. They will act as an anchor of sorts,and also act as a balance if you're on uneven terrain. These two things are needed with every dig. Especially the counterweights. They are needed moving anything. You must have them for the machinery to do its job. IMO ANYONE who uses ANY heavy equipment knows this. Most pieces of heavy equipment that moves dirt, rock, or pulls a plow of any type has counterweights.
Counterweight Kit, 7129250

Rear Stabilizer Attachment for Loaders - Bobcat Company
MOO As far as moving attachments, it can be done on a trailer with a Bobcat. It just has to be secured and the trailer has to be accommodating in size. Attachments can be changed pretty fast and easily. One of Bobcats selling points is fast attachment hook up. You line it up, bump it, and then hook up the hydraulic hoses. Theres a button or two to push, and its on.
MOO

I am reticent to agree. When I listened to AM talking about this on PE, he said without hesitation that LE said they saw no signs of a struggle in the home and they had not located the phone. Maybe they would be dishonest but why would they with him? Thoughts?
I should go back and listen again, but I remember thinking when Andy said "no signs of a struggle". He meant at the location the bike was discovered, not the home?

He has said many times "human hands put that bike there, there were no signs of a struggle or an injury where it was found". I'm on the fence whether LE would share anything about evidence found in the home with anyone, even Andy.

Maybe at the time of LE’s statement they had not yet discerned that it was Suzanne’s phone or it was not located during the search of the home. AM last stated that LE were holding the cell phone pings while offering EVI and GSP to him. IMO So we wait...
If I recall, that personal item was recovered prior to the first search warrant being executed on the house.

Personally, I’d be stunned if LE had Suzanne’s phone. There are things that phone can tell them that phone company records cannot, and I imagine BM felt he had to get rid of it.

Coupled with what LE allegedly told Andy, I just don’t think the odds are all that great.

I should go back and listen again, but I remember thinking when Andy said "no signs of a struggle". He meant at the location the bike was discovered, not the home?

He has said many times "human hands put that bike there, there were no signs of a struggle or an injury where it was found". I'm on the fence whether LE would share anything about evidence found in the home with anyone, even Andy.

I understood it to be at the location of the bike.

“An animal did not attack her because there absolutely was no blood evidence and no tracks on the ground, no scent from an animal,” he says. “I stood there and looked and I realized that nobody rode over the side of that hill. There would have been signs of a struggle or you would have been skinned up.”

Moorman and his brother in-law both searched the area where Suzanne's bike was found for any signs of a clue.

“I said to Barry ‘Hey, I don't think she fell off the hill on that bicycle or rode over the edge.’ I said, ‘I believe a human being threw this down here.’”

Brother of Suzanne Morphew pleads for brother-in-law to 'step up to the plate' and work with authorities

I am reticent to agree. When I listened to AM talking about this on PE, he said without hesitation that LE said they saw no signs of a struggle in the home and they had not located the phone. I don't think they would be dishonest, even less likely with him MOO? Thoughts?

I thought he said the house smelled like bleach? I guess that isn’t indicative of a struggle.

I thought he said the house smelled like bleach? I guess that isn’t indicative of a struggle.
Not necessarily. If someone came in and murdered SM, there could be fingerprints, traceable dirt from their shoes and possible dna from scratches/sweat or even trace skin dna etc.
And then again, it may have been violent with blood evidence, of course.
When someone wants to 'erase' evidence and may be in a manic mode, bleach will be used.

If I recall, that personal item was recovered prior to the first search warrant being executed on the house.

Personally, I’d be stunned if LE had Suzanne’s phone. There are things that phone can tell them that phone company records cannot, and I imagine BM felt he had to get rid of it.

Coupled with what LE allegedly told Andy, I just don’t think the odds are all that great.
I agree, unless a piece or pieces of her phone were found. Where it/they were found would be indicative as to who or whom tried to 'bury' the evidence. I'm reaching but hey, it's possible.

This is a crazy thought -

One of those big diggy thingies might have big tires. A body could be placed in a tire (or tied into one so they don't fall out) and rolled over the side of a mountain.
Was there a tire missing from anywhere/anything?
Now that I'm on a roll - a barrel would work just as well. There were very early photos of the inside of the Morphew's garage and I noticed large black barrels. They probably held rock salt. I have been wondering if they are still in the garage. I believe there were 3 in the photo.

This is a crazy thought -

One of those big diggy thingies might have big tires. A body could be placed in a tire (or tied into one so they don't fall out) and rolled over the side of a mountain.
Was there a tire missing from anywhere/anything?
Now that I'm on a roll - a barrel would work just as well. There were very early photos of the inside of the Morphew's garage and I noticed large black barrels. They probably held rock salt. I have been wondering if they are still in the garage. I believe there were 3 in the photo.
I forgot about those barrels. You've brought up more possibilities.

If he is obsessed with money/earning money, why did he move to another state in 2018 and why did he start
once more with his landscaping business? Who would abandon his customer base in his home state, when already 50 yo?

That might happen if he was losing his customer base - for different reasons, such as anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark