Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex, I'd Like Homophones for $1000 Please.
... Our area has a Waist Management company that supplies trash cans to each home in the area....
@Hatfield sbm
Maybe they can help w my waist management.
Lately I've had trouble fitting into my pre-Covid clothes, esp'ly slacks.:eek:;):rolleyes:
It will not be a wasted opportunity for that co.

(Sorry @Hatfield, I could not help my smart-aleck self.) Everyone, pls carry on.

Alex, I'd Like Homophones for $1000 Please.
@Hatfield sbm
Maybe they can help w my waist management problem.
Lately I've had trouble fitting into my pre-Covid clothes, esp'ly slacks.:eek:;):rolleyes:
It will not be a wasted opportunity for that co.

(Sorry @Hatfield, I could not help my smart-aleck self.) Everyone, pls carry on.
Bahhhaaaa, good one al66pine :D

Barrels in Puma Path Garage? And a Window?
@osu Thx for link w pic.
Yes, barrels shown are in a pic taken for the former owner's listing of home for sale, not after M. fam moved in. But sometimes when vacating, a seller leaves misc items . (I remember a homeseller who was moving a thousand miles away asked if we wanted the firewood to be left at house. No thank you. I had a vision of the Mayflower dudes throwing a cord of loose firewood into back of the moving van. :cool::eek::rolleyes:As it turns out seller let a family across the street take it.:D:D:D)
As someone (sorry, forgot who) mentioned, could be rock salt to apply to driveway. Did BM's business offer snow-plowing services? Would rock salt or other snow-melt chemicals or even cinders be used? Perhaps just on own driveway?

Possible that full or empty barrels are still in garage. Or maybe one of them is now elsewhere, holding other contents.

Also re window shown in pic, hard to tell if neighbor or anyone could peek in and verify that a specified bike is or is not in garage. It would depend on bike's location in garage. jm2cts

I'm wondering, since the neighbour had a key to enter the home, if she entered the garage from an inside door rather than looking through the window.

Maybe I'm missing something (quite possible, I'm a tech bozo) but why would you need to take screen shots of a conversation when you have the actual conversation in the app (FB messenger, etc.) itself?
I am the type of person who constantly takes extra precautions, and takes the screenshots.

Getting these to LE within hours compared to LE having to take days or weeks obtaining a warrant to retrieve them.

I'm not quite following why you believe the abrupt ending to SMs convo with her friend points away from premeditation? If that's the moment something happened to her (which I think is a reasonable assumption at this point), that doesn't seem to indicate an argument that "got out of control", IMO. That seems to indicate an ambush. But do you have another take on that?

Also, why do you think he went to Broomfield more than once? IMO, Broomfield was supposed to be his alibi for SM's "bike ride" - but do you think there was a different reason for that trip?
I am thinking it was not a ambush, like a pushing violent one, I am thinking like sneaking up from behind with a ligature or similar object this would have caused her to drop her phone without a texting buddy to know why . BM was tall enough to lift SM off the floor upright and choke her without much of a struggle. Just a guess but doable. IMO

I’m watching the 20/20 Chris Watts Devil in Disguise episode. The actual footage of Chris arriving at the scene and speaking to LE, the neighbor who immediately showed LE his security cam footage, with Chris right there. When Chris steps away, the neighbor says, something’s not right with him. What’s making me think of this case is how LE knew right off the bat that he was involved. Yet Chris did a media plea that of course backfired. Their marriage looked wonderful on social media. Real life was another story. I’m keeping this all in mind here.

That prompted me to watch that episode late last night - it is really eerie. So many parallels. At least Suzanne lived long enough to see her daughters into (near) adulthood/launching.

Not necessarily. If someone came in and murdered SM, there could be fingerprints, traceable dirt from their shoes and possible dna from scratches/sweat or even trace skin dna etc.
And then again, it may have been violent with blood evidence, of course.
When someone wants to 'erase' evidence and may be in a manic mode, bleach will be used.

Yep - ITA. They'd have found stranger DNA in the house if Suzanne was stranger abducted from there. Or if Suzanne had had a visit from some known person who then disappeared her.

And I agree that there's a "manic" element about the bleach use - after the crime, the perp is terrified of one thing (getting caught) and also plagued by some form of guilt. In this case, Suzanne may well have been the anchor who kept BM from running off the rails in several ways. Maybe "frantic" is a better word, but yeah, someone was frantic right after Suzanne died.

IMO, that's really typical of the cycle of abuse (whether physical or otherwise). Rage, acting out, minimizing the consequences, "fixing things," love bombing, then rinse and repeat (unless of course during Step 2, you've managed to do something that is unfixable).

I don't feel premeditation because it would seem the most inopportune time to murder someone would be when the victim was texting their friend. Especially considering at that moment the perp wouldn't really know what they had been conversing about. I think it more likely that an argument ensued while SM was texting her friend and she just paused the convo but never got back to her. That suggests SM may have decided to go out by herself to avoid the argument and that's when BM really got mad.

So whether she went for a bike ride or even said, I'm taking a shower or whatever means she used to avoid confrontation, that's when BM became physically violent.

As for the two trips to Broomfield. I don't think BM is a master criminal by any means but I do think he is familiar with rocks and dirt, heavy equipment and cars. I'm sure he was aware of all the bells and whistles on his truck and on the newer RR. So however SM met her demise he needed to get rid of evidence so the first trip to Broomfield would have been in a vehicle without tracking to avoid leaving a trail for LE to pick up. I don't know whether the evidence would be a body or items related to a murder but if he took his phone with him maybe that's why there is some issue between cell tower pinging but no evidence on his vehicle. The second trip would have been in his truck with his phone and tools which he may have needed to clean in the hotel room. Someone mentioned upthread that they felt the towels were used to protect the tools from damaging a bath or shower stall while they were being cleaned, hence being sopping wet not just damp from toweling off. MOO

ETA The only caveat to my theory regarding the two trips is that you need to provide vehicle info for check in but that would be easy for LE to check.

I see your point about premeditation, but what IF he didn't realize she was texting. For instance, what if SM was sitting at the table, or in her chair texting, and she heard the door open. So she leaves the phone where it is, or slips it in her pocket, and walks towards BM . Not having a clue what he has interrupted, he attacks her right there, OR gets in an argument and then attacks her.

A strange thing to me about the “personal item” found is that those of us who feel BM is guilty , then he definitely planted the item (whatever it is.) But if his initial story that he told MG on Monday was “oh a mountain lion got her” ...why would he have planted this personal item several yards away from the bike? If BM’s plan was to say it was a mountain lion attack , he must know that the item found , if it was in the paws of a mountain lion would have some indication of saliva , or be ripped to shreds or something. I guess we don’t know that it wasn’t. But still this is odd to me. What was the purpose of planting this personal item? Or was it a mistake?

I am thinking it was not a ambush, like a pushing violent one, I am thinking like sneaking up from behind with a ligature or similar object this would have caused her to drop her phone without a texting buddy to know why . BM was tall enough to lift SM off the floor upright and choke her without much of a struggle. Just a guess but doable. IMO

I don't picture this conversation between Suzanne and BFF to be on the phone. Surely Suzanne had a laptop or ipad? (She's shown wearing an Apple Watch in one vacation picture, so I'm going with possible iPad). When I have long convos with my friend (or post on WS), it's always on the laptop, for speed, but also to share links, copy pictures, etc. Really hard to do on the phone.

It could have been a desktop, too. But I picture Suzanne as someone who would have had her own laptop.

The big advantage of text or FB conversations is that both parties can talk to someone else (I'm chatting with DH as I compose this), take phone calls, answer texts from others (yesterday, I had two conversations going on at once - everyone knows that there's a lag in response - I still need to resume my convo with my BFF). You can walk around the house, get little things down, same with the other person, then resume the cozy conversation.

I believe Suzanne had told her BFF a bit about marital problems (BM's anger issues?) Maybe that was part of their final argument. Abusers truly do not like being outed. Even if they've already been outed or been in legal trouble, they don't want it referred to or mentioned. Some people with anger management issues truly do not recall the details of what they did unless reminded and then act surprised and dismayed (or get angry again; it's always best to handle the issues in a counseling session or with someone else present).

At any rate, I am falling more into the "not premeditated" camp (although I do believe that BM had fantasized about what to do if he ever hurt Suzanne, as he knew what he was capable of).

Odd fact: my ex seemed to be unaware of his own strength. Like BM, he got into weight lifting, was a state level wrestler in high school, and could have made the university wrestling team. He had trophies for his football achievements (I think he was a defensive halfback? Is that a thing? Anyway, it involved running and knocking people down). On more than one occasion, he got too rough in flag football with his "friends" (housemates). And on more than one occasion, he got too rough with me - all while "playing." He'd pick me up and toss me (playfully, he said; ouch, I said as I hit the wall behind the bed, where he was trying to throw me). As we got older, a lot of this horseplay stopped, but he'd still grab too hard when he had to keep one of the kids from doing something unsafe.

IOW, for many of these. men, their use of strength is "playful" or "accidental" but it still can result in harm. These are the pusher/shover guys you read about. To them, pushing or shoving isn't "really violent." I don't know how many DV offenders I've interviewed (too many), but "I didn't mean to" or "I didn't realize" is almost always the first thing out of their mouths. As a result of all of this, I simply do not hang out with people who use physical force playfully or "accidentally." No one tackles someone "accidentally" or throws someone across a room "accidentally" (even if they thought their aim was true and that no one would be hurt).

By "fantasizing" about the situation, I mean that many abusers try to come up with strategies to curb/make up for their issues. So, they say to themselves, "Next time, I really won't throw her laptop across the room." They use reasoning ("It's too expensive") rather than actually going to therapy (and possibly going on medication) in order to control their irritability and impulsiveness. They think to themselves, "But if I do throw it, I know that I can get a new one from Apple within a week, and in the meantime, I'll give up my own laptop." They think, "And if she tries to leave me over a laptop - why - that's her problem, she's insane." Abusers typically think the real problem is the other person.

Which is why I cringed when that video began with, "Oh, Suzanne." "Oh, Suzanne, look what you made me do THIS time...you know I get hangry when I come home unexpectedly, want my lunch and some time with you - and you're on that damned laptop again."

I'm not saying this actually happened, but in my mind, the dynamics of this relationship cannot be "normal", not once it's clear that BM cannot restrain himself from laying his hands on other people (as demonstrated by the incident(s) in Indiana).

Among other fantasies they have are things like, "If she tries to tell anyone, I'll make her shut up" and "She better not lord this over me, sure, I get mean sometimes, but she's a nitwit and gets on my last nerve." The moral upper hand that the victim has in a relationship like this is like a sword hanging over the abuser's head (I can't really imagine what that's like, but so many of them really, truly resent their victims deeply).

Some actually encourage their victims to "fight back next time."

Yeah, right.

I decided to Google it. Yes they will hold up in court.
Maybe one of our attys can verify...

I am not any attorney, but I can verify that screenshots, even of social media, are acceptable evidence in Colorado. In the Kelsey Berreth case, a screenshot of a Facebook posting ("The Witch is dead!") by a woman that was assumed to be the mother of the POI was instrumental evidence provided in affidavits for search warrants, surviving through the arrest affidavit and initial appearance before the information was released to the public and instantly identified as an identification error.....a posting by a different Colorado citizen of the same name. IANAL, IMO

see page 22 of "03/06/2019 18-120 Search Warrant" paragraph beginning:
"On 12-22-2018 the Woodland Park Police Department received ............."
Colorado Judicial Branch - Teller - Cases of Interest - The People of the State of Colorado v. Patrick Frazee

Good morning ya’ll! We survived Hurricane Sally with minimal property damage. Our town looks like a bomb went off with trees down and debris everywhere but no flooding so we are very fortunate. The beautiful beaches have so much destruction and flooding with boats and piers strewn about. We just got our power back so wanted to check in and see what’s going on. It doesn’t sound like I missed anything major. No arrest unfortunately. We’ve got family staying here that still doesn’t have power but I’ll try and come back later and join in the discussion. Sending love and gratitude from Alabama to my WS friends for your kind posts and thank you to those who messaged me and kept me company Monday night! No need to reply as I don’t want to derail the thread but just letting you know I’m ok. :p
Glad you’re safe. Our area just got slammed by Hurricane Laura. What’s remaining of some communities have been without electricity for 20+ days.

I am not any attorney, but I can verify that screenshots, even of social media, are acceptable evidence in Colorado. In the Kelsey Berreth case, a screenshot of a Facebook posting ("The Witch is dead!") by a woman that was assumed to be the mother of the POI was instrumental evidence provided in affidavits for search warrants, surviving through the arrest affidavit and initial appearance before the information was released to the public and instantly identified as an identification error.....a posting by a different Colorado citizen of the same name. IANAL, IMO

see page 22 of "03/06/2019 18-120 Search Warrant" paragraph beginning:
"On 12-22-2018 the Woodland Park Police Department received ............."
Colorado Judicial Branch - Teller - Cases of Interest - The People of the State of Colorado v. Patrick Frazee

Thanks for the additional info. I asked the question thinking along the lines of an attorney arguing, as an example, a screenshot is not solid evidence of timestamps, it could have been falsified to look an actual text exchange between parties, etc. I would imagine actual evidence turned over from the cell provider or recovered from LE is better but screenshots still work as evidence. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde