Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

Also leads me to believe that whatever the criminal investigation was, it isn't serious. If it was a major crime being investigated they would have likely announced what it was and would be putting a lot more effort into the search.

This is either a suicide or a voluntary going away, IMO.

This makes sense.

One usually reads someone is wanted for fraud, or something.

Hoping and praying JC is found soon.

JMVHO.

Also leads me to believe that whatever the criminal investigation was, it isn't serious. If it was a major crime being investigated they would have likely announced what it was and would be putting a lot more effort into the search.

This is either a suicide or a voluntary going away, IMO.
I can't get onboard with suicide- unless friends or family heard some mutterings from him directly, or saw him doing things which indicate suicide, ie giving things away.

If a suicide, wouldn't you expect that his body would have been found by now?
Would there have been a followup in the news?
Obituaries are optional so how else would one find out?
Maybe he has been found and there's just been no announcement- due to privacy. ???

I can't get onboard with suicide- unless friends or family heard some mutterings from him directly, or saw him doing things which indicate suicide, ie giving things away.

Maybe he has been found and there's just been no announcement- due to privacy. ???

which is why I think willful disappearance is much more likely.

I could be wrong, but I think death notices aren't optional, although, obituaries are.

I think there's a possibility that Jake may not own the vehicle, that it may be a perk of his job and leased by the company.
If it's leased, filling up w/ gas may be a stipulation when turning in a car and maybe JC was simply following rules.
Another reason I think it's leased is that there was some confusion when LE first spotted the car parked and one article said they ran the plate twice and nothing came back of interest.
Later on the third try, the car was connected to a missing person (JC).

I believe the first two times the license plates were checked the missing persons report had not yet been filed. Iirc, the first time the plates were run were just after 12:00 am on Saturday August 8th. Jake was not reported missing until several hours later during the day.

There is a good chance the only way we would know Jake was no longer missing is his no longer being listed in NamUs.

^^ that looks like remote mountainous country,
and that others said he talked about going off in the mountains, I can't connect that with suburbs of Chicago.
The over buying of gas if disappearing may be explained by knowing if he had a company gas card, which if he did, he wouldn't care if he pumped $10. or $100. Especially if he planned on taking off.
If he were hurt out on the trails, he'd have to be unconscious or he would have cried out for help. And with all the searches, why hasn't he been found out there?
But my biggest clue is that LE is not encouraging or taking part in any more organized searches. Surely they know more than we do. There must be clues that lead them to believe this was a voluntary departure. Unless local LE are a bunch of do-nothing Barney Fifes, we have to believe what their actions tell us.

Hello. This is my first post so please forgive me if I am replying incorrectly! I will hopefully learn along the way!

I wanted to reply to your comment "Unless local LE are a bunch of do-nothing Barney Fifes, we have to believe what their actions tell us." I live in the area, and I can assure you, the LE in Jake's city are very "gung-ho" on investigations overall. So, in my opinion, either a lot is being investigated behind the scenes (both for the disappearance, and for the police investigation that was initiated before Jake went missing), or as someone posted above, then the "criminal (?) investigation" mentioned by police is not serious enough to warrant an all-out search/national news coverage/plea by LE, or like you say, there must be clues that lead LE to believe that this was a voluntary disappearance.

I also have a question that someone may remember reading an answer to. Was Jake's WALLET ever mentioned in police reports/new media? I know he left his phone and exercise/fitness device at home, but was there mention of if his wallet was ever accounted for?

Hello. This is my first post so please forgive me if I am replying incorrectly! I will hopefully learn along the way!

I wanted to reply to your comment "Unless local LE are a bunch of do-nothing Barney Fifes, we have to believe what their actions tell us." I live in the area, and I can assure you, the LE in Jake's city are very "gung-ho" on investigations overall. So, in my opinion, either a lot is being investigated behind the scenes (both for the disappearance, and for the police investigation that was initiated before Jake went missing), or as someone posted above, then the "criminal (?) investigation" mentioned by police is not serious enough to warrant an all-out search/national news coverage/plea by LE, or like you say, there must be clues that lead LE to believe that this was a voluntary disappearance.

I also have a question that someone may remember reading an answer to. Was Jake's WALLET ever mentioned in police reports/new media? I know he left his phone and exercise/fitness device at home, but was there mention of if his wallet was ever accounted for?
When he was paying for gas he pulled something out of his back pocket which I assumed was his wallet. IMO

I believe the first two times the license plates were checked the missing persons report had not yet been filed. Iirc, the first time the plates were run were just after 12:00 am on Saturday August 8th. Jake was not reported missing until several hours later during the day.
I think you're correct. I also wondered if the vehicle were titled as owned by XYZ Leasing co., LE may have just assumed it was a rental/lease car abandoned there.

A man found dead of an apparent suicide in Illinois earlier this month is not the missing United Airlines executive last seen in Elmhurst in August.

CrimeOnline has obtained an incident report of an apparent suicide in St. Mary’s Park on September 7. Though we have chosen not to disclose the decedent’s identity, CrimeOnline can confirm it is not missing Jake Cefolia.

Man found dead 30 miles from missing Jake Cefolia’s abandoned car has been identified

Welcome to Ws CuriousGirl2, thanks for the local perspective!

The Forest Preserve is a one square mile area, from what I can tell. I think by this point if he did have an accident there he would have been found by now. This isn't like he wandered into a national forest in Colorado or Utah where finding someone is literally the needle in the haystack scenario.
So, you are saying it is possible to go in one side and out the other, so to speak.

which is why I think willful disappearance is much more likely.
yes, I agree.
Wonder if they tracked down WHERE his passport is?
but it's pretty easy to have multiple passports as
we learned in other criminal cases.

Until a body is found or LE provides an update,
I'm envisioning Jake stretched out on an oriental beach on an Indonesian island drinking his favorite mixed drink and listening
to Jimmy Buffet. By now, he's laughing at all his friends still caught up in the rat race.

yes, I agree.

I'm envisioning Jake stretched out on an oriental beach on an Indonesian island drinking his favorite mixed drink and listening
to Jimmy Buffet. By now, he's laughing at all his friends still caught up in the rat race.
I hope so! I can’t let go of an accident. We see those so much here on WS. Maybe I’ve just been paying attention to too many missing hikers cases, though. JMO

yes, I agree.

I think you probably got the Asian location correct. That has been my assumption too.

One private plane to another private plane....gotta be with someone though or had help in MOO.

So, you are saying it is possible to go in one side and out the other, so to speak.

There are three main entrances, but many areas you could easily walk out of. Some houses & apartments are right off the trail, as well as quite a few businesses. So he could definitely have walked out anywhere along the way, IMO, IF he even went into the preserve. Rt 83 is right down the road from where his car was found, & that runs into many other major roads & highways.

He could have just parked his car there & got picked up in the same location, again IMO. There are also a few heliports in the area, provided he knows someone with a helicopter.

I think you probably got the Asian location correct. That has been my assumption too.

One private plane to another private plane....gotta be with someone though or had help in MOO.
Was watching a Japanese documentary recently
and many <modsnip> place great importance on the spirituality of the mountains.
It also explained why so many Buddhist monasteries are located near mountains.
Not so sure that anyone would pursue that possibility unless they could track his US exit.

As far as we know, only the PI hired by his family would be tracking him, and maybe that's been discontinued also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was watching a Japanese documentary recently
and many <modsnip> place great importance on the spirituality of the mountains.
It also explained why so many Buddhist monasteries are located near mountains.
Not so sure that anyone would pursue that possibility unless they could track his US exit.

As far as we know, only the PI hired by his family would be tracking him, and maybe that's been discontinued also.

<modsnip>

I am under the impression that, at the present moment and because of COVID-19, it is quite hard to enter Japan as a foreign national. Of course, I suppose if one flew into the country on a private jet and landed at a small airport, then maybe one could skirt the authorities, but I don't know how likely that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ecdub
Back