GUILTY OH - Sheriff Charles Reader, charged with theft in office, Pike Co, 29 Jun 2019

"Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity, is defined by O.R.C. 2923.32, and states that it is the action of two or more persons that are involved in a criminal enterprise."

The Wright Blog: Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity

"Corrupt activity" is engaging or encouraging others to engage in a variety of criminal activity including bribery. In Ohio, it only takes two people to engage in a pattern of corrupt activity, and there is no requirement that the defendant be found guilty of any underlying criminal offenses."

ENGAGING IN A PATTERN OF CORRUPT ACTIVITY: STATE RICO CHARGES BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN OHIO

Sounds like there needs to be another person involved to be charged with "Engaging in a Pattern of Corrupt Activity" under OH law (referred to as a RICO-TYPE statute). Is someone else to be charged or will someobe else involved turn evidence against Sheriff Reader in plea bargain?

Seems like they tacked this charge on late because new evidence was procured?

Maybe someone is trying to pressure him, for some reason. Southern Ohio style politics.

So what did Sheriff Reader do that you think justifies the prosecution stacking these charges against him? He borrowed small amounts of money from fellow employees at work? You think its ok for them to stack all this junk up to try to justify ONE felony charge, with all the rest being misdemeanors?

What did Sheriff Reader do to justify your anger at him?
I said I did not agree with the prosecution stacking on the charges. I pointed out that this is what they always do. Prosecutors just about always stack on charges to get the defendant to plead guilty to a lesser amount of charges or to a misdemeanor rather than to a felony etc....

Note in Rita's case all those Felonies were dropped and she pled to one Misdemeanor Count. I think the Pike County prosecution wants to get at least one guilty plea out of former Sheriff Reader.

But I have never agreed with the legal system stacking on charges just to squeeze out a guilty plea from defendants. I am pro - Reader, I like him, and want him to be found not guilty on all Counts.

There have been SM posts between Reader and Junk that show Junk is biased against Reader. Reader should be tried under a different prosecutor, maybe even in a different County.

*** Opinion Only ***

QUOTE FROM MY PREVIOUS POST YOU ARE QUOTING:

"It's par for the course for the prosecution to pile on charges to get defendants to plea guilty to a charge. Do I agree? No. But this is what happens. Pike County Prosecutors would be glad to have Reader plead guilty to a felony charge.
Saves a trial which they do not want, but gets a felony guilty plea, which is their objective. They want that guilty plea no matter how many charges they have to pile on to get it."

This Post Is Opinion Only

Last edited:
Nothing changes the fact that the 4 Wagner's massacred 8members of the Rhoden family in their sleep. Innocent people who did nothing to incur the wrath of the Wagner's except stand up to them when their son violently abused Hanna Rhoden.

Trying to attack other people who worked to bring the Wagner's to justice doesn't lessen the depraved cruelty of the Wagner family. They will pay for their horrific crimes.

If there are public employees involved in the efforts to attempt to undermine the state's case against the Wagner family, they should reconsider. That's for a judge and jury to decide.

JMO

Nothing changes the fact that the 4 Wagner's massacred 8members of the Rhoden family in their sleep. Innocent people who did nothing to incur the wrath of the Wagner's except stand up to them when their son violently abused Hanna Rhoden.

Trying to attack other people who worked to bring the Wagner's to justice doesn't lessen the depraved cruelty of the Wagner family. They will pay for their horrific crimes.

If there are public employees involved in the efforts to attempt to undermine the state's case against the Wagner family, they should reconsider. That's for a judge and jury to decide.

JMO
Are you saying public employees are attacking Reader - to undermine the State's Case against the Wagners - because Reader was the lead Sheriff?

I don't think this is about undermining the Wagner Cases, I think it's about undermining Reader personally. Junk is the one who brought charges against Reader, Junk is biased against him, the 2 of them were fighting on SM.

If I'm wrong about who brought charges let me know.

Opinion only

Are you saying public employees are attacking Reader - to undermine the State's Case against the Wagners - because Reader was the lead Sheriff?

I don't think this is about undermining the Wagner Cases, I think it's about undermining Reader personally. Junk is the one who brought charges against Reader, Junk is biased against him, the 2 of them were fighting on SM.

If I'm wrong about who brought charges let me know.

Opinion only

The attacks and allegations against Sheriff Reader began back in 2016. It appeared to be a political vendetta, JMO

Pike County sheriff's race among dirtiest in Ohio

For those newer to these threads, we discussed a lot of this in 2016, 2017, etc. There was some concern that a local political vendetta was being used to apply pressure in some way on the Rhoden Massacre investigation, but we let it go. We also discussed controversial backgrounds and work records of several other public officials in the region because there was concern outside pressure was influencing the focus of the murder investigation.

When the same nasty campaign against Reader resurfaced after the arrests of the Wagners, and when it involved other public officials, it raised a few eyebrows. Political mudslinging is usually ignored here, but the way it was handled after the arrests was problematic. Hence, the separate thread here for people to discuss this case because, as Gov DeWine and others said, it has nothing to do with the Rhoden Massacre investigation. We'll take him at his word.

Over the arc of the story and dirty tricks campaign, there were many people involved, before and after the Wagner arrests. Junk was not the sole instigator.

I'm sure you know how to find all the links, including the one above. Most people who discuss the Rhoden Massacre investigation here live outside of Ohio and who aren't interested political battles in Pike County. We only care about a clean, fair investigation and trials.

The attacks and allegations against Sheriff Reader began back in 2016. It appeared to be a political vendetta, JMO

Pike County sheriff's race among dirtiest in Ohio

For those newer to these threads, we discussed a lot of this in 2016, 2017, etc. There was some concern that a local political vendetta was being used to apply pressure in some way on the Rhoden Massacre investigation, but we let it go. We also discussed controversial backgrounds and work records of several other public officials in the region because there was concern outside pressure was influencing the focus of the murder investigation.

When the same nasty campaign against Reader resurfaced after the arrests of the Wagners, and when it involved other public officials, it raised a few eyebrows. Political mudslinging is usually ignored here, but the way it was handled after the arrests was problematic. Hence, the separate thread here for people to discuss this case because, as Gov DeWine and others said, it has nothing to do with the Rhoden Massacre investigation. We'll take him at his word.

Over the arc of the story and dirty tricks campaign, there were many people involved, before and after the Wagner arrests. Junk was not the sole instigator.

I'm sure you know how to find all the links, including the one above. Most people who discuss the Rhoden Massacre investigation here live outside of Ohio and who aren't interested political battles in Pike County. We only care about a clean, fair investigation and trials.
Thanks for your reply, make more sense to me now.

Thanks. Friend til' the end is my motto. Boulger was under the weather a week or so ago but he'll be good to go. He can be a beast in court, and is good at what he does.

Interesting fact....He was James Manley's attorney.
I like him. Charges were dropped on James.

He said this:

Manley’s attorney, James Boulger, told the Dayton Daily News that the charges were simply a tactical move from the start.

“I think they want to put some pressure on him,” Boulger told the newspaper. “Try to induce him to give them information that they think that he has. That’s what I think that they’re up to.”

James T Boulger in court with James Manley

Brother of Pike Co. massacre victim posts bail

WAVERLY, Ohio (FOX19) - Suspended Pike County Sheriff Charlie Reader pleaded guilty to several charges Thursday.

Reader pleaded guilty to five charges including tampering with records, theft in office and conflict of interest. Reader was accused of borrowing money from subordinates and stealing drug money.

Some of the charges are felonies, which means he can no longer serve as a peace officer.

It’s not clear yet when Reader will be sentenced.

Suspended Pike County sheriff pleads guilty to several charges

09/24/2020

WAIVER UPON PLEAS OF GUILTY -- DEFENDANT ENTERED A PLEA OF GUILTY TO:

COUNT TWO, THEFT IN OFFICE, 2921.41(A)(1), F-4;

COUNT THREE, THEFT IN OFFICE, 2921.41(A)(1), F-4;

COUNT FOUR, TAMPERING WITH EVIDENCE, 2921.12(A)(2), F-3;

COUNT SIX, TAMPERING WITH EVIDENCE, 2921.12(A)(2), F-3;

COUNT EIGHT, CONFLICT OF INTEREST, 102.03(D), M1;

NO AGREEMENT ON SENTENCE

Jmo I liked Charlie and voted for him last time. I think he truly wanted to be Pike County’s hero, and started out with the idea to turn the county around, but he lacked a very important quality which is patience. He couldn’t just wait for things to happened he had to make them happen. And then he became just like some of the others he had arrested. Jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back