Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is they are not all in one (or three) soccer stadia but spread out far and wide across a whole sub continent. It would be similar to adding together the whole of Europe's cases and deaths, or the whole of South America deaths, for example IMO.

I think the enormity of 200,000 deaths in the U.S. is that these deaths have occurred in a very short time frame. I don’t think we can view this as simply deaths per/population, but as the 200,000 individuals dying in about 7 months, overwhelming hospitals, leaving behind grieving loved ones.

This link below is from April 28 when the U.S. death toll was 58,365. The first death in the U.S. was Feb. 6, so in less than three months we saw almost 60,000 deaths. That figure is compared in a graphic to the 58,220 who died in the Vietnam War from 1964-1975. The number dying in three months compared to 11 years is what makes the number of Covid-19 deaths even in late April “enormous” in its emotional impact...not in statistical numbers per population.

Now we are at about 200,000 deaths in seven months. No war or conflict shown on this graphic even approached that number in this short time frame. And that’s why we are reeling from this enormous loss of life. It’s a gut punch, almost as intense as the loss of 2,997 in one day on 9/11. And the loss of approximately 946,000 who have died in the entire world in about nine months is also enormous in its emotional impact. At least it is for me...and I’m sure it is for many others. :(
JMO

U.S. coronavirus deaths now surpass fatalities in the Vietnam War

I think the enormity of 200,000 deaths in the U.S. is that these deaths have occurred in a very short time frame. I don’t think we can view this as simply deaths per/population, but as the 200,000 individuals dying in about 7 months, overwhelming hospitals, leaving behind grieving loved ones.

This link below is from April 28 when the U.S. death toll was 58,365. The first death in the U.S. was Feb. 6, so in less than three months we saw almost 60,000 deaths. That figure is compared in a graphic to the 58,220 who died in the Vietnam War from 1964-1975. The number dying in three months compared to 11 years is what makes the number of Covid-19 deaths even in late April “enormous” in its emotional impact...not in statistical numbers per population.

Now we are at about 200,000 deaths in seven months. No war or conflict shown on this graphic even approached that number in this short time frame. And that’s why we are reeling from this enormous loss of life. It’s a gut punch, almost as intense as the loss of 2,997 in one day on 9/11. And the loss of approximately 946,000 who have died in the entire world in about nine months is also enormous in its emotional impact. At least it is for me...and I’m sure it is for many others. :(
JMO

U.S. coronavirus deaths now surpass fatalities in the Vietnam War

Yes, that is the important piece of this horror: 200,000 deaths in 6 months- as far as i can recall (at least here in Michigan), the first deaths were at the beginning of March.

My husband is going to drive me to drink: today is the the last golf outing of his league: okay so that is ok though i have never loved his playing golf this summer. After golf there is a "gathering"-- (in a pandemic that is a nasty ugly word)--- after golf: the "gathering" will be on an outdoor patio of the clubhouse restaurant. I advised him that if he does that he should consider getting a hotel room and isolating for fourteen days because he will be putting both of us at risk. This outdoor patio is not large: i expect it will be somewhat crowded with no social distancing and no masks. I am upset that he even considered doing such a thing. My day will be spent attempting to convince him not to do something so stupid---hopefully it will sink in. Stay tuned--

Yes, that is the important piece of this horror: 200,000 deaths in 6 months- as far as i can recall (at least here in Michigan), the first deaths were at the beginning of March.

If even half of those deaths could have been prevented, how would you feel? Because it seems they could have been prevented, without a lockdown, or businesses closing or any of those things that most of us have had to go through.

MOO

ETA 30% of Michigan Covid deaths were in LTC. I think they are one of the states being investigated IIRC.

42% of COVID-19 Deaths in Nursing Homes & Assisted Living Facilities

Department of Justice Requesting Data From Governors of States that Issued COVID-19 Orders that May Have Resulted in Deaths of Elderly Nursing Home Residents

Last edited:
I am not trying to minimise their deaths. I am just trying to put the numbers in context.

Australia has about 24 million people. There is a big difference between trying to control an epidemic in a country of 331million compared to a country of 24 million.

Australia has about same population as our state of California.

Australia is approximately 7,741,220 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, making United States 27% larger than Australia. Meanwhile, the population of Australia is ~23.2 million people (303.4 million more people live in United States).

So Australia is about the same size as the US, but has about 1/12th the population. So it is not a surprise that we had a much harder task in trying to control a very infectious virus. We have many dense urban areas in comparison.

So to put it in context, Our nation has 12x the population in the same size of land. So 200,000 deaths, as tragic and horrible as it is, does not come as a huge surprise. JMO IMO

Just so you know, I am not doing comparisons.

I completely understand that we have a few significant advantages. We have a large geography, cities that are spaced widely apart, a smaller population, an isolated country, national healthcare, unity.

Someone asked way back in the threads, what kind of toll others would expect of a large first world nation such as the US. My answer was about 60,000 people.

IMO

Last edited:
Chiefs fan who attended game tests positive for Covid-19 and now everyone who sat near them is in quarantine

The he individual that tested positive watched the game from the group's box in the lower level of the stadium and tested positive the following day. The positive test has prompted the Kansas City Health Department to direct 10 people there to quarantine after potential exposure to the coronavirus.

The Kansas City Chiefs were one of the few teams in the NFL that allowed fans into its stadium in Week 1.

Israel to revert back to full lockdown as coronavirus cases climb

Israel will return to a full lockdown on Friday in an effort to contain the spread of coronavirus, as the number of cases has continued to increase for months throughout the country.

The three-week lockdown will begin at 2 p.m., closing many businesses and limiting public gatherings. The move comes just hours before the beginning of the Jewish High Holidays when people usually attend religious services and gather with family and friends.

Under the order, people must remain within 1 kilometer, or .6 miles, from their home, except for when shopping for food and medicine, attending protests, and going to work, among others.

The country was one of the first in the world to impose strict lockdowns during the spring. However, authorities have announced several restrictions in recent months that have been ignored or reversed.

Don't think they would be guinea pigs. Bets are they won't be the first to come forward for the vaccine either.

Maybe not, but I am thinking of POTUS and the Brazilian president both saying they took Hydroxychloriquine. It was only FDA approved for emergency use in the states at the time and is now not even authorised for that anymore. That's what makes me think they might take an unproved vaccine. Also, Putin stated one of his daughters had already taken the Russian vaccine.

MOO

My husband is going to drive me to drink: today is the the last golf outing of his league: okay so that is ok though i have never loved his playing golf this summer. After golf there is a "gathering"-- (in a pandemic that is a nasty ugly word)--- after golf: the "gathering" will be on an outdoor patio of the clubhouse restaurant. I advised him that if he does that he should consider getting a hotel room and isolating for fourteen days because he will be putting both of us at risk. This outdoor patio is not large: i expect it will be somewhat crowded with no social distancing and no masks. I am upset that he even considered doing such a thing. My day will be spent attempting to convince him not to do something so stupid---hopefully it will sink in. Stay tuned--

Update! my husband is having knee pain and will not be able to golf today- I don't like him having pain --but------there is the good part that he won't be golfing and going to a "gathering". Hoping the knee pain will be temporary!!!

Global COVID-19 cases surpass 30 million - with more than half of them from just three countries: the U.S., India and Brazil. The number increased by 10 million in just over a month; global cases passed 20 million on August 12.

The United States leads the by-country count with at least 6,675,560 reported cases, followed by India with at least 5,214,677 and Brazil at 4,455,386.

The U.S. also leads in the number of deaths at 197,643, followed by Brazil at 134,935 and India with a death toll of 84,372.

Chiefs fan who attended game tests positive for Covid-19 and now everyone who sat near them is in quarantine

The he individual that tested positive watched the game from the group's box in the lower level of the stadium and tested positive the following day. The positive test has prompted the Kansas City Health Department to direct 10 people there to quarantine after potential exposure to the coronavirus.

The Kansas City Chiefs were one of the few teams in the NFL that allowed fans into its stadium in Week 1.

Well that's a complete shock! (NOT)

If you want to get more in depth with the overall statistics, the John Hopkins University site is pretty informative. They have a very solid break down here:

Mortality Analyses - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Looking at the mortality graph in your link ... France is doing really poorly. For a first world nation.

Not surprising really, when you look at this pic. Not a mask in sight, and no social distancing, considering the rapidly escalating cases.

xx2.JPG

France has registered a record 10,593 new confirmed coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, the health ministry says, in the country's highest single-day count since the pandemic began.
About 1.2 million tests were carried out last week, the health minister said. Data show 5.4 per cent of tests were positive.
France posts record number of virus cases

Well, I guess things are getting back to normal somewhat here in my little South Carolina town. Had to stop by Walmart on my way to work and noticed that both main doors (pharmacy side of the store and the grocery side) were open. For weeks now we've had the pharmacy side locked and everyone had to go through a metal maze on the grocery side past masked, customer-counting employees to enter the store. All of that is gone now. I figured the 'face coverings' sign would be gone too. It was still there although I saw customers and employees alike without masks.

I work in a large church office and we've had on-site services for a few weeks now, although 2/3rds of the congregation still stays home to watch the livestream. Starting September 27, on-site Sunday School classes and the morning nursery will start back up again. Curious to see how that's going to go. But here I am, still wearing a mask in my office all day, keeping a baby gate up to block my doorway, lol. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn