What we know about Ransom Note

a bit repetitive on my part,

why would anyone write that note?........ why would a deranged pedophile or business revenge person write a long note deflecting attention away from the R's?.... why would IDI or revenge person write any note? the note references a "fake kidnapping".

PR, if she wrote it, was in a state of complete panic when she wrote. she needed desparately to shine the light away from her family...... it's arguable a simple note would have done that just as well. but she decided to add more color. a worrier would definitely append more and more, i think.

as per parents actions, why not just phone the police?

unfortunately, i am starting to see some terrible explanations that tie facts together quite well...... like some with the ransom letter, i don't want to believe these explanations....

i am always asking or mentioning what BPD detectives thought... i think we have to keep in mind that eventually they are trying to build a specific case. so alot of "it could have been this...... it could have been that" is abandoned... but as outside observers, we should still hold on to these possibilities..... like JR being asleep until RN was "found". it kills alot of theories.

i'm rambling now........ is it likely that PR killed JBR by accident then did all the elaborate staging without waking JR. ..............same question if BR did it. i assume a child wouldn't stage like that.... so did PR stage either PDI/BDI without waking JR?

as per parents actions, why not just phone the police?

unfortunately, i am starting to see some terrible explanations that tie facts together quite well...... like some with the ransom letter, i don't want to believe these explanations....

i am always asking or mentioning what BPD detectives thought... i think we have to keep in mind that eventually they are trying to build a specific case. so alot of "it could have been this...... it could have been that" is abandoned... but as outside observers, we should still hold on to these possibilities..... like JR being asleep until RN was "found". it kills alot of theories.

i'm rambling now........ is it likely that PR killed JBR by accident then did all the elaborate staging without waking JR. ..............same question if BR did it. i assume a child wouldn't stage like that.... so did PR stage either PDI/BDI without waking JR?

Tobiano8th,
BPD claim fibers from John's Israeli manufactured shirt were found on JonBenet's genital region.

Fibers from Patsy's jacket were found embedded into the knotting of the ligature.

John is also offering explanations for other items found in the basement, e.g. Partially Opened gifts, broken window, chair in front of the door, Samsonite suitcase, etc.

His latest revelation was on the Dr. Phil show where Dr. Phil said John used the flashlight to put Burke to bed.

Get that a multi-millionaire needs a flashlight rather than flicking a light switch, same with the Samsonite, he employed the housemaid to put stuff like that in the basement.

None of what John says rings true because it is all allegedly fabricated to hide what really took place.

The case obviously breaks down to:

1. JDI with Patsy assisting.

2. BDI with Patsy and John assisting.

3. PDI with John assisting.

IMO it seems as if the parents arrived late on the crime-scene, e.g. JonBenet's bedroom. They probably had just arose for their vacation flight.

This is the reason why the staging is so amateurish, why JonBenet is wearing size-12 underwear and Burke's longjohns, is simply because the person who redressed her was totally inexperienced with crime and the ways of the world.

The first suspect John named, when asked by Whitson, was Jeff Merrick.

Cottonstar,
Is it not curious that the millionaire Ramsey's would dream up a staged crime-scene where money is assumed to be the main motive?

Whilst all along they must have known the sexual motive would eventually reveal itself so how would that square with the character of an employee such as Jeff Merrick patently a law abiding citizen?

The most likely explanation is that the RN and the rest of the staging were intended to cover up the sexual abuse. Of course the Rs knew that this aspect would be revealed; but, they attempted to make it appear that a crazed intruder was responsible. The pineapple turned out as a major chink in this scenario.
JR finding the body is quite incriminating, given the complicated evidence and timeline. IMO JR had the best motive and the most suspicious crime scene activities.
Yes. The passing of the 10AM deadline without any reaction from the Rs is rather stupid, if nothing else. However, I am surprised that PR didn't take her cue at 10AM, and give an hysterical performance.

A common assumption is that the killing was accidental, no matter who did it. But, it could have been premeditated, especially with JR in the picture. The RN could have been ruminated upon for awhile, and not be spontaneous as many opine. Taking time to consider how to compose the RN would have made it quicker to jot down.

Concerning the SBTC at the end of the ransom letter. I did a quick search on the Internet and came up with the Small Business Technology Council which has been "...tremendously successful competitive innovation program specifically for high-tech small businesses. Since it was first authorized in 1982, it has helped tens of thousands of small businesses fund and develop their new technologies using a 2 phase approach." (Learn More About SBIR – SBTC)

I find this intriguing considering John Ramsey started a computer company in the 1980's.

I haven't been following every detail of this case, but can someone shed some light around the RN?
1) The handwriting is distinct. Did LE request both PR and JR to provide handwriting samples? Did LE also check against their handwritings on past documents?
2) It seems hard to invent and fake a handwriting style while writing the RN especially on the fly and under duress. The RN handwriting style seems consistent and no mistakes. So it does seem to be the person's actual handwriting. Unless PR/JR was very deliberate and slow in writing the RN, and when mistakes were made, restarted the note, but there would be discarded paper in the trash.
3) If it was written by PR and JR, why would they include the $118K bonus amount. Even if they were doing so as a red herring, it would seem stupid to bring on more suspicion to yourselves especially if few knew of the amount. Had they left the amount off, it would reduce a lot of focus on them so why invite the heat upon yourself.
4) I don't believe any true kidnapper requesting a ransom would write such a lengthy note. They would just leave a phone number to contact them at.
5) Why even write a ransom note if you killed JBR already. So what happened first?

I haven't been following every detail of this case, but can someone shed some light around the RN?
1) The handwriting is distinct. Did LE request both PR and JR to provide handwriting samples? Did LE also check against their handwritings on past documents?

Yes, John Bennet ruled out and Nancy "inconclusive"

2) It seems hard to invent and fake a handwriting style while writing the RN especially on the fly and under duress. The RN handwriting style seems consistent and no mistakes. So it does seem to be the person's actual handwriting. Unless PR/JR was very deliberate and slow in writing the RN, and when mistakes were made, restarted the note, but there would be discarded paper in the trash.

Nancy had a background in journalism and story telling.

A closer analysis shows simple words where misspelled in the beginning (assumed done so to support the "foreign faction" claim) but much more difficult words where spelled correctly later in the note (theory being that the writer forgot their intentional misspellings as time went on)

7 pages were torn from the ledger, with the assumed theory that "practice runs" where written, looked at, edited, and written again.

3) If it was written by PR and JR, why would they include the $118K bonus amount. Even if they were doing so as a red herring, it would seem stupid to bring on more suspicion to yourselves especially if few knew of the amount. Had they left the amount off, it would reduce a lot of focus on them so why invite the heat upon yourself.

I think of this like the line from The Waterboy, where the coach is overthinking. "He fakes, no he pretends to fake, NO he pretends to fake the fake".

Basically WAY overthinking in an attempt to use reverse psychology.

4) I don't believe any true kidnapper requesting a ransom would write such a lengthy note. They would just leave a phone number to contact them at.
5) Why even write a ransom note if you killed JBR already. So what happened first?

Meanieme, your questions basically summarize consensus view on the RN.

seems implausible anyone wrote that note but PR........ JR dictating? although BPD seems to think JR's involvement was mostly not blowing the whistle on PR/BR and obfiscating during the investigations

all these questions about the note you have (and i have too)..... why would PR do that note? why would an intruder (pedophile or business revenge) write that note (in the R's house with their pen/paper)? IDI note seems virtually impossible. PRN seems implausible but is the only explanation (hercules poirot)

as per lonewanderer response, who is nancy?....... or was that a serious response?

basically i think everyone whose handwriting they tested was ruled out except PR... of course, it could be someone they didn't test.

as per lonewanderer response, who is nancy?....... or was that a serious response?

basically i think everyone whose handwriting they tested was ruled out except PR... of course, it could be someone they didn't test.

Patsy :p Sorry I was thinking of a different case (I think).

Hers was "inconclusive".

There is a TON of little tiny details I did not know until I went down a lot of rabbit holes about the entire case.

Some professionals have analyzed it with really good points, pointing out that saying "A small foreign faction" is really underwhelming, you would want the people you are exploiting to greatly fear you, and would more likely say you are a large and mighty faction with ties to many forms of violence and/or friends in powerful places (senators, congress, etc).

I have also heard very good points made sarcastically by narrators such as Shane from BuzzFeed Unsolved. He says (kinda smart-aleck/ jokingly) something like "why would I give them all than information? I would want them to know as little about me as possible." But also goes on to say that of all the cases they had ever covered, there was never one time where a ransom note was present and the person was already deceased, much less deceased inside their own home.

One reason for PR to write the RN was so that she could place the 911 call. This may seem circular; but they are in fact two parts of the whole. Given the timeline, if it is assumed that PR did write the RN, then the latest that she'd be able to start it would be 5:15 AM of the 26th.

The 118k could have been mentioned as a means to divert suspicion on to business associates of JR. JR has stated that, in his view, the murder was motivated by professional jealousy or hatred of him. Of course, he offered nothing to back up this claim.

According to experts, the handwriting is more disguised on the first page, and then becomes more natural as the author relaxes their attempt to hide. It is possible that there was an undiscovered 3rd version of the RN, as brought out by forensics of the notepad.

So what we (at least I) know is that:
1. It was written in the house, using Ramseys' pad and sharpie
2. It took at least 30minutes to write it (more probably an hour)
3. Manner of addressing and tone change
4. Phrases used can be associated with several popular movies
5. It's the longest RN till this day
6. It's the only RN that was found in the same location as the body of the victim, location being victim's home from which the victim was supposed to be kidnapped.

This was never supposed to be a true ransom note - it's too long, it was written at the scene of a crime using with what was found in the house, it starts with presenting themselves as foreign faction then gets all personal with JR, there is not one of their causes or more plausible requests listed (like release from prison of their mates etc.).

Whoever wrote it, did this after JonBenet was murdered, with clear intent to falsly present what happened as a planned kidnapping.
If the kidnapping was the original plan then the RN would have been written beforehand, which means not in the house, using Ramseys' stuff.

The length - if it indeed was a ransom note, it would not be almost 3 pages long. It makes no sense whatsoever if its original purpose is to be a genuine note asking for ransom.

The only way someone who was a kidnapper would write such a long note is if they knew that they had enough time to write it. There is no way that an intruder, whether waiting for the Ramseys in the house while they were away or slipping into when they went to bed would take that much time to write it. Even if the intruder was alone, waiting for them to come back, they would not know when the Ramseys would be back and would risk to be discovered.

Movie references do not mean that the person who wrote RN did see all of those movies or was a fan of them. DH was by then a classic and shown on TV enough times to be a part of pop culture so one could be familiar with the expressions without having actually seen it.

At the beginning it starts with Mr Ramsey and has is pretty distant tone but then that changes and gets personal. Foreign faction is mentioned but after a couple of lines it is clear that there's nothing political to it, there's no mention of their cause, nothing.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to share my view of RN considering what most makes sense, and contrary, what doesn't. Of course, that does not mean it's not possible at all that a real kidnapper wrote it but I think the chances for that are extremely low. This was never ment to be a real ransom note.

So what we (at least I) know is that:
1. It was written in the house, using Ramseys' pad and sharpie
2. It took at least 30minutes to write it (more probably an hour)
3. Manner of addressing and tone change
4. Phrases used can be associated with several popular movies
5. It's the longest RN till this day
6. It's the only RN that was found in the same location as the body of the victim, location being victim's home from which the victim was supposed to be kidnapped.

This was never supposed to be a true ransom note - it's too long, it was written at the scene of a crime using with what was found in the house, it starts with presenting themselves as foreign faction then gets all personal with JR, there is not one of their causes or more plausible requests listed (like release from prison of their mates etc.).

Whoever wrote it, did this after JonBenet was murdered, with clear intent to falsly present what happened as a planned kidnapping.
If the kidnapping was the original plan then the RN would have been written beforehand, which means not in the house, using Ramseys' stuff.

The length - if it indeed was a ransom note, it would not be almost 3 pages long. It makes no sense whatsoever if its original purpose is to be a genuine note asking for ransom.

The only way someone who was a kidnapper would write such a long note is if they knew that they had enough time to write it. There is no way that an intruder, whether waiting for the Ramseys in the house while they were away or slipping into when they went to bed would take that much time to write it. Even if the intruder was alone, waiting for them to come back, they would not know when the Ramseys would be back and would risk to be discovered.

Movie references do not mean that the person who wrote RN did see all of those movies or was a fan of them. DH was by then a classic and shown on TV enough times to be a part of pop culture so one could be familiar with the expressions without having actually seen it.

At the beginning it starts with Mr Ramsey and has is pretty distant tone but then that changes and gets personal. Foreign faction is mentioned but after a couple of lines it is clear that there's nothing political to it, there's no mention of their cause, nothing.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to share my view of RN considering what most makes sense, and contrary, what doesn't. Of course, that does not mean it's not possible at all that a real kidnapper wrote it but I think the chances for that are extremely low. This was never ment to be a real ransom note.

There is a YouTuber who does a very interesting analysis between this ransom note, The Lindbergh baby ransom, and a ransom note done in the 1960s (which was also highly speculated as fake). These ransom notes where extremely long and drawn out. The Lindberg note was a very long series of notes and places for the person to go. The 1960s note was one note, but much, MUCH longer than the Ramsey note. I will post a link to it in a bit.

Good analysis and theories. A few thoughts:

1. Not necessarily. $118K was JR’s bonus, but also was an amount Jeff Merrick believed JR owed him and wouldn’t pay. It’s highly likely the $118K is a reference to the bonus, but not absolutely.

2. The entire note contains references that the author knows the Ramsey’s. They are subtle, but the author is letting them know ‘you may not know me, but I know you’.

3. Seen this a few times and it makes sense, however there wasn’t a Subic Bay Training Center. Or more specifically, the base wasn’t actually called that. Now it could just be another reference to ‘knowing’ the R’s because there was a naval training center in Subic Bay that JR was at and the author calls it that but those who trained there, including JR, wouldn’t call it SBTC.

I’ve long believed the note was written by the perp (not in the R family) as a red herring to throw LE off the scent. Get them going in a bunch of different directions while the perp got away with kidnapping JBR. I believe the perp knew the R’s on the fringes - aka know someone who knew someone - and was sexually obsessed with JBR.

The plan was to kidnap her but in the process of subduing her things went wrong and she was hit over the head causing brain damage. Perp then tried to put her out of her misery by using the garrote and hastily left, not thinking to go back to the spiral staircase and grab the note.

There is no intruder. None. I thought we weren't even supposed to talk about IDI on Websleuths? Cannot believe that anyone would still think there was an intruder.

There is no intruder. None. I thought we weren't even supposed to talk about IDI on Websleuths? Cannot believe that anyone would still think there was an intruder.

kaykay543,
Sure, No Intruder but some folks do not know all the rules, so we can live with it until they work through the theories, etc.

BTW, a good riposte to IDI, is Kolar's Foreign Faction, i.e. not the book but a plurality of persons intent on kidnapping JonBenet.

So where are the multiple individual forensic samples they left behind, or did they all turn up wearing hazmat suits?

kaykay543,
Sure, No Intruder but some folks do not know all the rules, so we can live with it until they work through the theories, etc.

BTW, a good riposte to IDI, is Kolar's Foreign Faction, i.e. not the book but a plurality of persons intent on kidnapping JonBenet.

So where are the multiple individual forensic samples they left behind, or did they all turn up wearing hazmat suits?

BBM, literary foreshadowing of 2020??? :eek:

BBM, literary foreshadowing of 2020??? :eek:

Laughing,
Sure, but more like an gloss on Kolar's insightful remarks on the forensics, all credit to James, Yay!

Or for those who like classical tropes a sort of rip or midrash Talmudic style, someone will publish a book saying Covid was forecast by the Prophets because ... quote, quote, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veryinterested68
Back