Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone, loooong time member, just do not post. I have been following this case since the beginning. I listen to EP every video. These two men have years and years of exp. Many people they can reach out to. From what I gather, AM reached out to them and asked for help. Chris and AM talk daily. I think AM has been in contact with with someone in the LE family giving him facts on the case. I think that since the local police are out of money, he felt he had to step up and try and find his sister. The Sheriff has said because of liability issues they can not take the lead. But from what I gathered, it sounded like many would be there to help. AM also said IF he found her, or if he did not, he was giving it his best effort.

Does that mean any vehicle seen on County Road 225 and Puma Path that evening could have been the cause of an accident with SUZANNE and her bike?

Or I’m sure there were several LEOs with holstered pistols, maybe one of those guns caused her death?

I mean, several possible means of harming SUZANNE were later in the vicinity of where it is supposed she went missing, will they all be a basis for (un)reasonable doubt?

Sorry, lamlawindy, I know you are just speaking to us from your experience as an attorney, and I appreciate you and your point of view.

But, I’m hoping common sense will prevail, as other evidence would have to support any proposed theory?

My heart is heavy for SUZANNE and her daughters.

Trial strategy is left to counsel's discretion. One of the most important decisions that the defense will make is what their overall strategy will be to create reasonable doubt. This decision is molded by the facts and circumstances of the alleged crime. Those will dictate what evidence in any particular case will create reasonable doubt and which theories may just plainly be viewed as unreasonable.

Here, the defense can, if it wishes to do so, try to present witnesses who testify about the traffic on CR 225 and may even introduce police reports showing prior accidents near Puma Path, if any exist. The defense may even hire an accident reconstruction expert to testify that it's possible that the bike's location was a product of some sort of collision. The problem is that the state will likely have its own accident reconstruction expert who will testify that it is highly unlikely that the bike would end up where it did as a result of a crash.

I brought up AM's mountain lion statement (mentioned by @TxGidget) because it would be much more difficult for the State to rebut this account. First -- assuming the witness can be located and subpoenaed -- it will be a sworn officer who would be testifying as to
having seen the mountain lion. Second, if the officer attempts to deny the mountain lion statement, then AM himself could be called to rebut the officer's denial (or -- if stipulated -- the video of the interview could be played for this purpose). Finally -- from a strategic viewpoint -- a jury would essentially be given an out: allowing jurors to "hang their hats" on a non-human cause of harm means that they do not have to assign blame to another human being, something which some people are very uncomfortable with doing.

Now, all this is not to say that the mountain lion theory -- even if buttressed by the testimony of an officer on the scene -- is infallible. I don't no much about mountain lions (here in indiana, there have been only two confirmed sightings within the last 10 years, and DNR believes it may be the same animal), but I would assume they would leave tracks or droppings; it is possible that the state could rebut the theory by having a witness testify that neither tracks nor droppings were found near the Morphew home.

All this is speculative, of course, but the revelation of the fact that an officer saw a mountain lion near the morphe home did appear to me to be a game changer in terms of a possible defense.

on tricia's podcast last night, chris had been in contact with an architect landscaper/construction professional who saw some anomalies at the wall in broomfield recently. they went up there today and took some photos, and there were "no trespassing" signs at the wall on the riverbed.

tomorrow they will run cadaver dogs by that riverbed.

this is DLR. (does not look right). they will be attempting to get a bull dozer down there asap.

This is rather confusing. Beginning at 6:41 in, he talks about some person named Naomi that went and took pictures of "the wall", at the river bed. o_O

He never does say Broomfield, so is he talking about the river front property where they already dug it up once, or is "the wall" in Broomfield also next to a river?

I think they will eventually go the no body prosecution route If they have to. I think, unlike others here, the thing holding them back right now is that in areas like this one it is pretty common to wait until one full hunting season has passed. Many times remains will be found by hunters, and there is no need to rush to prosecute if the discovery is still possible. That, and now this search. I think it is likely she will be found at some point, and if that makes the case easier to prosecute I am all in favor of being patient and waiting. But aI think if she isn’t found by spring, they will make their move.

MOO AM mounting this campaign will bring publicity to the point where virtually every hunter will know about the search and be motivated to be on the look out for signs of concealment.

As far as the reason why there may have been an argument that got out of hand by BM,
one reason could have been BM announcing he was going to be working Friday evening, Saturday, and also on Sunday Mothers Day.
Or worse, he did not mention his plans for working until the last minute which could have been the beginning of an argument.

We have two statements from BM that make me lean to this being a reason for an agument to surface. BM actually used the word "permission" when he mentioned he got SM's permission to work on Mothers Day Sunday. So it makes me wonder if that permission really was granted or not. The other thing he said was on Saturday when he told MG he had to go make the wife happy. Which means to me she was unhappy and may have already been deceased at that point.

Just food for thought as to a possible reason where an argument escalated by BM if he demanded that he was going to work practically all weekend.
JMO

Last edited:
Watching the Tyson Draper video gives a pretty good chance to view his upper body in that tank top.

He does seem to have developed pecs, unless I mistaking them for man *advertiser censored*?

I'll second the comment about man *advertiser censored* are
often a 'hint' of steroid use.
Steroids can really screw up hormones in the body.
Can also cause ED. Imagine the repercussions of this with an image conscious
male miscreant?

As far as the reason why there may have been an argument that got out of hand by BM,
one reason could have been BM announcing he was going to be working Friday evening, Saturday, and also on Sunday Mothers Day.
Or worse, he did not mention his plans for working until the last minute which could have been the beginning of an argument.

We have two statements from BM that make me lean to this being a reason for an agument to surface. BM actually used the word "permission" when he mentioned he got SM's permission to work on Mothers Day Sunday. The other thing he said was on Saturday when he told MG he had to go make the wife happy. Which means to me she was unhappy and may have already been deceased at that point.

Just food for thought as to a possible reason where an argument escalated by BM if he demanded that he was going to work practically all weekend.
JMO

So, I have a pretty ‘out there’ theory that is rooted in the rumored drug use by BM.

I would really like to know BM’s story on what he did Friday night other than work at the Salida site.

I could see BM working there Friday night but what time did he stop? It seems unlikely that he’d work past 9pm given the neighbors and noise.

So did BM go home after that? Or did he go party with friends?

Meth is a drug that keeps people awake for days and in doing so creates paranoia.

Would it have been possible for BM to have gone partying Friday night, maybe get back home at 6am, SM is up having coffee and BM in an altered state of mind gets in a fight with SM early Saturday and around 8am, SM is killed?

We have two statements from BM that make me lean to this being a reason for an agument to surface. BM actually used the word "permission" when he mentioned he got SM's permission to work on Mothers Day Sunday. So it makes me wonder if that permission really was granted. The other thing he said was on Saturday when he told MG he had to go make the wife happy. Which means to me she was unhappy and may have already been deceased at that point.

JMO
Agree. There is weird "insider" joke quality to those statements.
MOO also they are hostile jokes.
Christian head of households men in their church do not need "permission." BM was in control of everything important, so saying that means building SM up as thwarting him.
Likewise "keeping her happy." He just isn't a lighthearted friendly guy who can pull that kind of statement off as being fun.

Last edited:
So, I have a pretty ‘out there’ theory that is rooted in the rumored drug use by BM.

I would really like to know BM’s story on what he did Friday night other than work at the Salida site.

I could see BM working there Friday night but what time did he stop? It seems unlikely that he’d work past 9pm given the neighbors and noise.

So did BM go home after that? Or did he go party with friends?

Meth is a drug that keeps people awake for days and in doing so creates paranoia.

Would it have been possible for BM to have gone partying Friday night, maybe get back home at 6am, SM is up having coffee and BM in an altered state of mind gets in a fight with SM early Saturday and around 8am, SM is killed?

That is as good a theory as any other. Certain drugs and even Steroids have been known to cause increased anger and rage in people. Some of his actions and his choice of work associates could bolster that theory.
JMO

Take this for what it's worth as I've conducted no research to substantiate the accuracy of this information.

We have a friend who is a former college Athletic Director and head baseball coach who once, in an off-handed comment, stated he could always tell when a male is taking steroids. He said on a warm day, if the guy is wearing a tee-shirt and his nipples are erect, he's using.

Exhibit A.

28619682-8340119-image-a-58_1589980599067.jpg
That and the fact that at least one of his close "friends" also looks like he is juiced up. As my beautiful late mother would say.."You are the company you keep"

I did my usual morning Google search using the 24 hour perimeter, and I saw that other tv stations are sending crews to cover the story. Andy’s “publicity stunt” is bringing awareness and I think even more people will be interested in what happened to Suzanne. I wonder if TN is watching the power of a true sincere media campaign. How stressed will Barry be this week..

on tricia's podcast last night, chris had been in contact with an architect landscaper/construction professional who saw some anomalies at the wall in broomfield recently. they went up there today and took some photos, and there were "no trespassing" signs at the wall on the riverbed.

tomorrow they will run cadaver dogs by that riverbed.

this is DLR. (does not look right). they will be attempting to get a bull dozer down there asap.

If BM used this wall work to conceal SM’s body, I can certainly understand why BM would be bleach cleaning his tools in that hotel room and why the only tools his workers found when they arrived were the tools that would not be needed for wall repair.

Trial strategy is left to counsel's discretion. One of the most important decisions that the defense will make is what their overall strategy will be to create reasonable doubt. This decision is molded by the facts and circumstances of the alleged crime. Those will dictate what evidence in any particular case will create reasonable doubt and which theories may just plainly be viewed as unreasonable.

Here, the defense can, if it wishes to do so, try to present witnesses who testify about the traffic on CR 225 and may even introduce police reports showing prior accidents near Puma Path, if any exist. The defense may even hire an accident reconstruction expert to testify that it's possible that the bike's location was a product of some sort of collision. The problem is that the state will likely have its own accident reconstruction expert who will testify that it is highly unlikely that the bike would end up where it did as a result of a crash.

I brought up AM's mountain lion statement (mentioned by @TxGidget) because it would be much more difficult for the State to rebut this account. First -- assuming the witness can be located and subpoenaed -- it will be a sworn officer who would be testifying as to
having seen the mountain lion. Second, if the officer attempts to deny the mountain lion statement, then AM himself could be called to rebut the officer's denial (or -- if stipulated -- the video of the interview could be played for this purpose). Finally -- from a strategic viewpoint -- a jury would essentially be given an out: allowing jurors to "hang their hats" on a non-human cause of harm means that they do not have to assign blame to another human being, something which some people are very uncomfortable with doing.

Now, all this is not to say that the mountain lion theory -- even if buttressed by the testimony of an officer on the scene -- is infallible. I don't no much about mountain lions (here in indiana, there have been only two confirmed sightings within the last 10 years, and DNR believes it may be the same animal), but I would assume they would leave tracks or droppings; it is possible that the state could rebut the theory by having a witness testify that neither tracks nor droppings were found near the Morphew home.

All this is speculative, of course, but the revelation of the fact that an officer saw a mountain lion near the morphe home did appear to me to be a game changer in terms of a possible defense.
I hear you on using the mountain lion defense BUT.......
did the m.l. go inside the home and use bleach?

did the m.l. go inside the home and leave body fluids that needed bleach to clean up?

did the m.l. take SM's phone?

did the m.l. make SM abruptly end the texts?

just sayin'

I hear you on using the mountain lion defense BUT.......
did the m.l. go inside the home and use bleach?

did the m.l. go inside the home and leave body fluids that needed bleach to clean up?

did the m.l. take SM's phone?

did the m.l. make SM abruptly end the texts?

just sayin'

And did the mountain lion cross over Hwy 50 to leave a bike helmet (alledgedly) as to stage the incident to look more like a human kidnapping so that LE wouldn’t suspect the ML?

I am also now thinking there is a chance that the bobcat didn't play a part in the concealment of her body, at this point i am thinking he may have simply used the "mechanical thing" to his bobcat as another alibi to fill in the missing parts of the timeline when he WAS out hiding the body.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. He said he made a mistake telling investigators "when" he was doing the mechanical thing. Maybe it was during that 3 1/2 hour period that AM is referring to.

I don’t think he dumped her body in broad daylight.
How to conceal the body for transport.
How to dispose of the body.
Where to dispose of the body.

So I don’t like that particular 3 hour window.
IMO, since we are unsure of the timing of Suzanne's loss of life, I doubt Barry would have kept the body around until Sunday morning. I believe, Cadaver dogs start picking up scents after the body has ceased functioning in the 2-4 hour range. So if he had kept her around until Sunday it seems to me the dogs would have picked up on it?

This is rather confusing. Beginning at 6:41 in, he talks about some person named Naomi that went and took pictures of "the wall", at the river bed. o_O

He never does say Broomfield, so is he talking about the river front property where they already dug it up once, or is "the wall" in Broomfield also next to a river?

oh yeah! you are correct! i assumed he meant the wall in broomfield, since the job site was never referred to as a "wall." hmmm. maybe chris misspoke when he called it the wall, and meant to say jobsite?

it's too late to go back and edit my post, but i'll email chris and see if he can clarify.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member