GUILTY WA - Kassanndra Cantrell, 33, pregnant, found deceased, Parkland, 25 Aug 2020 *Arrest* #2

KC’s twin viewed CD as pretty well off due to inheritance. Now I believe CD cannot afford a full defense for a case like this but. Does inheritance not count? Only income? Any buzz on what it takes to qualify or not qualify for public defender in WA? How to Obtain a Public Defender | Pierce County, WA - Official Website
FWIW -I knew multiple defendants in the south with non managerial retail type jobs who could not qualify for public defenders. Less serious charges but both were single moms of 3 on the verge of bankruptcy but income was judged too high.
I think it depends on the seriousness of the charge. A person who is fairly well off can still be eligible for a public defender in a murder case because of the high cost of hiring a private attorney. Imo

Everyone, or nearly everyone, starts out by pleading not guilty. Then they either go to trial from there or try to get a plea bargain of some sort.

As far as not being able to prove she was absolutely pregnant with his child, they have enough evidence of him doing the crime without pregnancy being the only motive. The three person triangle is a pretty good motive itself.

JMO

I think it depends on the seriousness of the charge. A person who is fairly well off can still be eligible for a public defender in a murder case because of the high cost of hiring a private attorney. Imo
In Pierce County, they prefer to call themselves the Dept of Assigned Counsel ("DAC") versus public defenders. Not sure what that's about?!

In WA, each County determines their own qualifications for "DAC" but I think it's fairly easy to qualify in Pierce County because you can't be forced to liquidate or sell your assets to pay for your lawyer while incarcerated. I recall that if within 3 days of arrest, and if you don't have a ready retainer and private attorney, you will be assigned a public defender.

We analyzed the quick child statute in the first thread and were skeptical it would apply here due to the belief that KC pregnancy was early.

I just watched the websleuths YouTube video with KC’s twin brother RC. Two new issues raised:
- the victim’s advocate told them that to get life in prison, it needs to be aggravated murder and they did not have enough to prove that (at the time of their conversation anyway), just first degree murder which is 30 years (release as soon as 20 with good behavior)
- the advocate told them that with first degree murder he will get bail, that bail is only denied for aggravated murder

here is definition of aggravated murder:
RCW 10.95.020: Definition.

a few potentially relevant bullets highlighted here bbm:

(6) The person committed the murder to obtain or maintain his or her membership or to advance his or her position in the hierarchy of an organization, association, or identifiable group;
(8) The victim was:
(a) A judge; juror or former juror; prospective, current, or former witness in an adjudicative proceeding; prosecuting attorney; deputy prosecuting attorney; defense attorney; a member of the indeterminate sentence review board; or a probation or parole officer; and
(b) The murder was related to the exercise of official duties performed or to be performed by the victim;
(9) The person committed the murder to conceal the commission of a crime or to protect or conceal the identity of any person committing a crime, including, but specifically not limited to, any attempt to avoid prosecution as a persistent offender as defined in RCW 9.94A.030;
(10) There was more than one victim and the murders were part of a common scheme or plan or the result of a single act of the person;
Hearing that is really aggravating. :(

How is luring a pregnant woman to your home, so you can kill her and her baby in the basement, NOT worthy of LWOP and no bail? :mad:

Everyone, or nearly everyone, starts out by pleading not guilty. Then they either go to trial from there or try to get a plea bargain of some sort.

As far as not being able to prove she was absolutely pregnant with his child, they have enough evidence of him doing the crime without pregnancy being the only motive. The three person triangle is a pretty good motive itself.

JMO
I don't think anybody here doubts that just forensics and digital footprint alone will prove CD guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. A motive isn't necessary to prove guilt.

I was speculating on CD's possible defense -- and not that it makes any part of what he says true. Unfortunately, KC's family is going to sit through many lies and witness CD's assassination of KC's character. That's what killers do. They have nothing else to lose.

MOO

How is luring a pregnant woman to your home, so you can kill her and her baby in the basement, NOT worthy of LWOP and no bail? :mad:
According to the charges filed today, there are aggravating factors here including that KC was pregnant and his obvious planning. He's looking at life in prison, no question. I don't think RC was aware of the actual charges when speaking with TG.

Attachments

• Information.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The search warrant affidavit stated he drove his truck to the parking garage with his bike in the back before he met Kassanndra at his house. Then surveillance cameras show him coming back and driving her car, parking it and then driving his truck. It sounded like he was alone during all this time.
THAT^^^^ looks like premeditation to me. So why can't they go for the harshest sentence, citing premeditated murder of a mother w/child?

Bail is one thing that everyone is entitled to. Now parole is another since Washington doesn't have parole.

I am not worried. This guy isn't running very far.

THAT^^^^ looks like premeditation to me. So why can't they go for the harshest sentence, citing premeditated murder of a mother w/child?
I think he can still get the maximum sentence either way. Even if they can't establish that KC was pregnant at the time of her murder they still have documentation of her pregnancy. He can't be charged with the death of the unborn child because she was only in the first trimester so the fetus was not a "quick child." But I would think they can convince a jury that the pregnancy played a role in the murder. Not that they have to prove motive, but in this case it would certainly help.

And judging by the state of the body (multiple skull fractures), possibly, kill with elements of extreme cruelty? MOO
Yeah, between the skull fractures and apparent stab wounds, she must have suffered a painful death. It sounds like overkill.

Not to mention the fact that he planned well in advance. This wasn't a crime of passion. It doesn't sound like he lost control and killed her in a fit of rage. There was blood in several locations in the basement, apparently. She may have fought for her life for several minutes before she died.

Then afterwards, he calmly texts his girlfriend, telling her the problem was all fixed and it was "fairly painless."

It is interesting that per OBGYN, KC stated that CD knew about the pregnancy and was “supportive”, although not planning to participate in bringing up the child. I see no reason for her to lie.

It made me wonder. What if CD, indeed, knew, and initially did not care, either way? And later, the only (so human) mistake KC had made was telling several people about the paternity? Her family knew. Her best friend knew. Her father knew. Probably some other friends knew, too. One gossip might be enough for it eventually to reach CD’s GF.

So I wonder whether CD’s live-in found out, and if her anger fueled his. Sometimes one phrase, said in haste, could be enough.

Also, his GF lived with him long enough to know a lot about him. Some details of CD’s life that she could have known might have made CD wary of her. He killed the mother of his unborn child so easily, I wonder if it was not his first time. This, or hit-and-run, or something else.

Just one of the versions of what could have happened.

MOO, of course.

Ex-boyfriend charged with murder in death of missing pregnant Parkland woman | king5.com

Sept 25, 2020

TACOMA, Wash. — The ex-boyfriend of a Pierce County woman who was reported missing in late August has been charged with murder in connection with her death.

Colin Dudley, 37, appeared in court Friday and was charged with murder in the first degree. He is being held in the Pierce County Jail on $2 million bail, according to jail records.

Kassanndra Cantrell, 33, was reported missing on Aug. 27 after she missed a doctor's appointment the day before. Her vehicle was found abandoned near the Tacoma Dome the day after she was reported missing.

[..]

An autopsy by the Pierce County Medical Examiner confirmed the identity of the remains to be Cantrell through dental records, according to court documents released Friday.

The court documents revealed Cantrell discovered she was pregnant in July and told her doctors Dudley was the father. However, Dudley denied having any recent relationship with Cantrell to detectives, and said there was "no way" he was the father. He said they had dated several years ago.

RELATED: Ex-boyfriend held without bail after Pierce County detectives find body believed to be missing pregnant woman

Court documents said Cantrell's remains were too decomposed for experts to determine if she was pregnant or not during the autopsy, but her family, friends and medical records confirmed that she was pregnant.

I wonder what he told ADT when he called to have them turn it off? Is that ever a thing people request? Did he not think that’s an immediate huge red flag?

Wow, blunt force trauma and stab wounds?!! So incredibly brutal :(
Does anyone have a link to the arrest affidavit? TIA :)

Morning guys,
I just want to fix a quick few things:

there is NO constitutional right to bail for anyone. However, if bail is set, it must past 8th amendment muster as far as cruel and unusual punishment is concerned.

nearly everyone pleads guilty at arraignment. I’d pass out from shock if a murder defendant walked up in court three days after his arrest and plead guilty to murder. That would be the most ineffective assistance of counsel known to man.

The prosecution never needs to prove motive, though juries do love motive, especially in a case of this magnitude.

I might have missed a thing or two from stuff that caught my attention as I read through the last few pages, but feel free to ask me any questions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back