Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t hospital patients usually have an IV in case of an emergency? And weren’t Trump’s experimental drugs given through an IV? How can a patient wear a shirt and jacket? Are we to believe he isn’t attached to monitors? BP and heart? Photo op?

I’m not sure about this drug, but if it’s like a chemo infusion for cancer treatment, it’s only done for an hour or so at a time, not constantly.

ETA—As for the BP and heart monitors, I’m not sure why he wouldn’t be attached. Maybe he was allowed a few minutes to do the video and photo. He seems to be in two different rooms from photos I’ve seen, which is confusing.
JMO

Last edited:
Don’t hospital patients usually have an IV in case of an emergency? And weren’t Trump’s experimental drugs given through an IV? How can a patient wear a shirt and jacket? Are we to believe he isn’t attached to monitors? BP and heart? Photo op?

An implanted port is a device that allows repeated and long-term access to your bloodstream. It can be used for antibiotics, IV nutrition, and other IV fluids. When someone gets a port placed, they will not need IV catheters like peripheral IVs or PICC lines (unless more than one access is required).

upload_2020-10-4_7-10-15.png

Care+Wear | Healthwear Solutions for People Everywhere

Thanks. That article didn’t show up for me. It seemed to be a way to draw attention to several issues. I’m not sure those filing the complaint expected the ICC to take action. But in general, the ICC exists to deal with serious crimes against humanity, so there is some recourse. I guess that’s what started the discussion. :)

Yes, even though Bill Clinton signed an intent to support the ICC, Congress never ratified it so we're (the US) not signatories to the Rome Treaty. A question about losing some of our sovereignty, I've heard. The ICC has been accused, however, of unfair treatment to Africans, and the Court, itself, has no real teeth. No power to enforce anything. And yet, it brings serious issues to light. So, there's that.

Not all IV drugs are given continuously. Some IV antibiotics, for example, are given once a day.

https://twitter.com/weijia
Tonight, Walter Reed Medical Center sent employees in the complex a text message to issue a 40-minute long “shelter in place” with a note that the alert was “not a drill”. The shelter in place alert went out at 9:06pm and it was lifted at 9:47pm, all per
@nancycordes
“While such alerts are often sent because of a perceived threat, sources say it’s more likely officials simply needed to lock down hallways to transport POTUS to another part of the complex for a CT scan or some other inpatient service.”

Attachments

• 09F7B871-618B-4888-9F1B-D2130F47A7E7.jpeg
    09F7B871-618B-4888-9F1B-D2130F47A7E7.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 13
I guess I just don’t understand why In October 2020 this (and things like “my mask protects you” and masks don’t replace distancing and testing is a tool not a force field ) isn’t just common knowledge and common sense . *shrug*

There are a few reasons why we still need to get the correct message out. If you recall, the information about mask wearing went through a fairly quick evolution. Once the virus was identified, it quickly became known that N95 masks were the only ones that would filter out the virus. The coronavirus was so small that it would go through all other masks. Social distancing was essential to avoid contacting the virus from a carrier and any other type of masks were not recommended because they couldn't filter the virus.

Then it was discovered that the virus was contained in droplets, and that masks had some, but not perfect ability to filter out droplets when the wearer was covid positive. Social distancing was still essential, but masks were recommended in order to protect others from you.

Then it was learned, in addition to protecting others, masks could provide some, but not perfect, protection for the wearer. Social distancing was still recommended.

One of the factors in determining whether or not people would be able to follow the evolution was their level of education (link below). That was connected with where they obtained their information about CoVid, whether from reliable sources, or from social media. Social media is much slower to respond to changing public health information and is not reliable.

Many of us struggle with our understanding of wearing masks. I often put my mask on thinking that I am protecting myself from others, forgetting that my mask will be helpful, but not a perfect filter.

When I scanned the photo of the White House, I looked for those who were wearing masks, and wrongly thought that maybe they had some protection from the spread. However, there was no social distancing and the outdoor gathering moved indoors where they served a buffet reception. Did everyone use common serving utensils? Did the dignitaries serve themselves first? Was it noisy in the gathering rooms, necessitating people to shout to one another, or lean in closely to be heard? Protection gained by wearing a mask outside, was likely negated before the event was over.

What a shame that the WH event wasn't conducted in a manner that conformed to public health recommendations. Will this be a teachable moment, or will people learn whatever the media will spin from it?

The North American Layman's Understanding of COVID-19: Are We Doing Enough?

Trump tests positive:White House sows confusion about Trump's condition as source tells reporters next 48 hours will be critical - CNNPolitics

The Best And Worst Face Masks For COVID-19, Ranked by Their Level of Protection

All other Patriots' COVID-19 tests come back negative after Cam Newton’s positive result (report)
The New England Patriots got some good news Saturday evening as the COVID-19 tests for the remainder of their roster came up negative after Cam Newton tested positive.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter broke the news and tweeted:

“All other Patriots' tests returned negative tonight, source tells ESPN.”

Patriots-Chiefs game postponed after Cam Newton positive for COVID-19
Massachusetts Sporting/more at link
The New England Patriots' game against the Kansas City Chiefs has been postponed after the news that quarterback Cam Newton has tested positive for COVID-19.

Not all IV drugs are given continuously. Some IV antibiotics, for example, are given once a day.

That is true, but, having been a patient in a hospital, they leave an IV in your arm with a bag of Normal saline: now the fluids may be running or not, but they leave the IV in so they can infuse IV meds if they need to: i can't imagine removing that bag of fluids and having to put another bag of fluids each time they want to infuse some type of IV medication.

Last edited:
" “Meadows has said if Trump can get out of the hospital by Tuesday, then he’s gone through the worst of it. But if he’s still there after Tuesday, the worst is yet to come,” the source told me. "

So perhaps if the 5-day course of remdesivir isn't effective enough there is reason to worry.

IMO
Meadows should shut up IMO.

Has anyone seen recovery figures by age? I know we have seen deaths by age and the occasional 100 year old being clapped out of hospital but are there percentages by age of hospital recoveries? Just wonder what a Male 74 year old on Remdesivir chances are?

ETA found this one Israeli study that shows recovery of males.

(Sorry edited that percentage out as it is not a recovery percentage. See second link for percentage.)

It looks like recovery days for over 60 aged males were 14.73±5.896 days so approx 15 -21 days :-(

Please check the table to see if I have interpreted it correctly.

Effects of age and sex on recovery from COVID-19: Analysis of 5769 Israeli patients

This April link below has a percentage of 8.6% of patients in their 70's die. (So I feel more hopeful now)

"Researchers on Monday announced the most comprehensive estimates to date of elderly people’s elevated risk of serious illness and death from the new coronavirus: Covid-19 kills an estimated 13.4% of patients 80 and older, compared to 1.25% of those in their 50s and 0.3% of those in their 40s.

The sharpest divide came at age 70. Although 4% of patients in their 60s died, more than twice that, or 8.6%, of those in their 70s did, Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London and his colleagues estimated in their paper, published in Lancet Infectious Diseases."

What explains Covid-19's lethality for the elderly? - STAT

Last edited:
That is true, but, having been a patient in a hospital, they leave an IV in your arm with Normal saline: now the fluids may be running or not, but they leave the IV in so they can inject meds if they need to: i can't imagine removing that bag of fluids and having to put another bag of fluids each time they want to inject some type of IV medication.

But that is what they must have done, otherwise... how can you explain why no lines during the press release. This seems that you are stating two things that are mutually exclusive? MOO

We know from the pressers that he is going to be receiving, and has already started the Remdisivir which is a 5 day protocol. And that MUST be through a port over a period of time every 5 days. It's not through an injection each time with a new stab in the arm. (Fact) ergo... he must have a port through deduction it seems logical to me. And that indeed yes, he is having the line to that port for the videos.

What other explanation do you think for such?

It does make sense that he wants to settle unrest in the markets and world peace etc. that the leader of the United States is still lucid and able to retain his position. MOO And he is getting treatments, and balancing out by doing what many of us normal folks cannot do while being treated in a hospital with a usual port, as he, like Boris would be expected to have someone by them medically one on one. MOO

MOO

Has anyone seen recovery figures by age? I know we have seen deaths by age and the occasional 100 year old being clapped out of hospital but are there percentages by age of hispotal recoveries? Just wonder what a Male 74 year old on Remdesivir chances are?

I agree Meadows should shut up. I think he likes the face time!

Has anyone seen recovery figures by age? I know we have seen deaths by age and the occasional 100 year old being clapped out of hospital but are there percentages by age of hispotal recoveries? Just wonder what a Male 74 year old on Remdesivir chances are?

Yes, I agree that Meadows is not an authority on medical matters and should not be commenting.

Death rates are constantly being updated as the outbreak moves along with first seeing a rise in case, and then rising deaths which follow sometime later. So the rates are constantly moving and a relatively accurate figure won't be possible until this is over

This is from Nature, dated Aug 28th:

For every 1,000 people infected with the coronavirus who are under the age of 50, almost none will die. For people in their fifties and early sixties, about five will die — more men than women. The risk then climbs steeply as the years accrue. For every 1,000 people in their mid-seventies or older who are infected, around 116 will die. These are the stark statistics obtained by some of the first detailed studies into the mortality risk for COVID-19.

The coronavirus is most deadly if you are older and male — new data reveal the risks

But that is what they must have done, otherwise... how can you explain why no lines during the press release. This seems that you are stating two things that are mutually exclusive? MOO

We know from the pressers that he is going to be receiving, and has already started the Remdisivir which is a 5 day protocol. And that MUST be through a port over a period of time every 5 days. It's not through an injection each time with a new stab in the arm. (Fact) ergo... he must have a port through deduction it seems logical to me. And that indeed yes, he is having the line to that port for the videos.

What other explanation do you think for such?

It does make sense that he wants to settle unrest in the markets and world peace etc. that the leader of the United States is still lucid and able to retain his position. MOO And he is getting treatments, and balancing out by doing what many of us normal folks cannot do while being treated in a hospital with a usual port, as he, like Boris would be expected to have someone by them medically one on one. MOO

MOO

Because he is the prez, perhaps they did remove that bag of fluids for his video: this is a special type of situation.

ETA found this one Israeli study that shows recovery % of males over 60 is 56.7%.

Effects of age and sex on recovery from COVID-19: Analysis of 5769 Israeli patients

For Remdesivir, that information doesn't have a release as the touting for such is not a difference in outcome, it's touting is a reduction in hospitalization days iirc 3-4 days. Can you be more specific as to recoveries? For COVID in general, his age group and discussion of such were on the previous posts that I did for the three doctors as to fatality rates in his age range..yet so much more to consider to nail down past statistics...

IIRC it was around 4% just merely as the average ongoing death rate at his age. Complications were much higher in this age group compared to younger folks.

brb possibly to capture a screen shot from MedCram or Dr Hansen or Dr Campbell if you are looking for mortality at his age?

ETA:

complications.JPGshowing "complication rate" is 5 times more than someone 18-29 years old

death.JPG shows graph of survival/death by age. Verified my above recollection, the death rate at age 74 group is 4%.. stated at timeframe in my screenshot.

Remdisivir trials have NO SUCH information, nor does the antibody treatment that he has received at this time. That info just is not available at all at this time. We only have info to share that is general. MOO

Screenshot source:

HTH to address the inquiry you had.

Also, thanks for your post to also address that "recovery" rates are soooo different and apples and oranges.

Last edited:
It sounds to me (from Science Magazine) that the president 'might' get pretty sick but that he will recover.

There is no question that the most significant risk factor for serious illness and a bad outcome is age. That, I think, has held up everywhere around the world. It almost swamps the other risk factors.

When you look at serious illness and mortality, men seem to be affected more than women. And [being] overweight and obesity are very interesting. They have consistently shown up in many studies as being a common feature in people who are hospitalized.

It’s important to remember that at 74, the age of the president, most people will recover.

As testing has become more widespread, we’ve learned that most people like him will have mild disease and recover without any specific treatment. The natural history of the disease is such that most people that are going to get very sick will generally get very sick in the first 7 to 10 days. There are always exceptions, but I think the next week or so is when there is going to be a tremendous amount of concern.

How might President Donald Trump fare with COVID-19?

Sorry to hear this. I know you are one who is doing the right thing. How frustrating it must be to have it undermined by the noncompliant nincompoops around you. Perhaps this person with the chalk covered vehicle will wise up now that certain top government people are infected, and take his truck through the carwash.

On one note, I was in line at the local coffee shop back when they were first allowed to reopen, and an older gentlemen came in with mask only covering his mouth. The baristas stood back from him but said nothing. The next time I went, there were signs with drawings posted on the door and windows about how to and how not to wear a mask. Nose hanging out was a no-no. Now they have no trouble pointing it out. Even the neighborhood farm stands will require you to leave unless a mask is worn.

I was exiting the grocery store just as a middle-age woman came in without a mask and the greeter asked if she'd like a complimentary one. She said she had been one of the first people in the county to become infected and it was now two months since she had recovered according to the guidelines.

That made me start wondering how many of the people I see without masks fit into that category? I guess the more people who are infected and then recover, the more people who will no longer need a mask to protect themselves or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88