Canada - B.C. man facing new charges over revenge website targeting ex-wife - 19 Sept. 2020

LadyL

Reaction score
Patrick Fox defied order to end online harassment: 'I will never take down the website'

In November 2017, Fox was convicted of criminally harassing Capuano in what was found to be an attempt to ruin her life and force her to commit suicide.

"Don't think for one second that anything will ever be more important to me than destroying you," he wrote in an email presented as evidence at his trial.

In addition to criminal harassment, Fox was also found guilty of shipping several guns inside a computer to the U.S.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-man-charges-revenge-website-1.5729791

Some people cannot get over a relationship or divorce. Patrick Fox sounds like an injustice collector/grudge holder.

Some take it to the extremes like Betty Broderick or Dora Cisneros.
There are a lot of weirdos in this world for sure. I think Betty was fueled by obsessive jealousy. Dora anger. But this PF guy just seems hell-bent on publicly humiliating her. He’s like an emotional serial rapist. Constantly denigrating her public life.

I knew a lady like Dora who became obsessed with a guy that rejected her daughter. She kept calling him & his family demanding to know why. It was like she interpreted the rejection as an affront to her parenting or something. People can be bizarre.

With this case, I don’t see why she can’t get a court order for the web host to shut the site down. With the criminal order against PF, should be easy to get. Imo

With this case, I don’t see why she can’t get a court order for the web host to shut the site down. With the criminal order against PF, should be easy to get. Imo

Apparently it has something to do with the server being located in a foreign country, per the article. I thought the same thing.

I can’t begin to imagine the hatred this man harbors in his heart toward his ex-wife. Reading the article, I couldn’t stop myself from following the links and reading up a bit more about this case. It’s every bit as disgusting as it sounds and looks. I also took the liberty of skimming a couple pages on the site, and the fact they haven’t been able to take something like that down is disheartening and vile.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the need to obsess over someone. Perhaps I have some kind of disconnect with reality, but I generally just don’t like people at all. At least, not in person (love talking to them online).

In the article that is linked to from 2016 in the article, it states that the son, a teenager, asked his father if he is going to shoot his mother. Can you imagine the horror of your father saying that he would love the chance? This is not a good environment for Desiree or the son, and I hope that in time they find peace. This is awful.

Apparently it has something to do with the server being located in a foreign country, per the article. I thought the same thing.

I can’t begin to imagine the hatred this man harbors in his heart toward his ex-wife. Reading the article, I couldn’t stop myself from following the links and reading up a bit more about this case. It’s every bit as disgusting as it sounds and looks. I also took the liberty of skimming a couple pages on the site, and the fact they haven’t been able to take something like that down is disheartening and vile.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the need to obsess over someone. Perhaps I have some kind of disconnect with reality, but I generally just don’t like people at all. At least, not in person (love talking to them online).

In the article that is linked to from 2016 in the article, it states that the son, a teenager, asked his father if he is going to shoot his mother. Can you imagine the horror of your father saying that he would love the chance? This is not a good environment for Desiree or the son, and I hope that in time they find peace. This is awful.
You are right! I forgot about the foreign server. I wish we knew what country. Many countries would have laws to allow a court review- guessing this is not one of those. Horrible for sure.

You are right! I forgot about the foreign server. I wish we knew what country. Many countries would have laws to allow a court review- guessing this is not one of those. Horrible for sure.

It's been a fairly common issue. I remember in the 2000s, the fact that a known piracy site was located in another country without the same copyright laws most have in place made it extremely difficult for authorities to have it taken down permanently. Every time they succeeded, it came right back and it was a hassle all around.

Fortunately, finding information on a domain isn't all that difficult. All web sites are registered with ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. They also handle top level domain registration (which is very expensive). They're the guys who approve applications for new domains such as dot com.

In this case, I found that the site is hosted by GoDaddy. It's location is listed as Arizona, so in this case it appears that the foreign country where the site is located would be the very state that Capuano resides in, which undoubtedly has to make the entire fiasco even more frustrating for the victim. I honestly expected an entirely different result that actually made things significantly more complicated.

Now my concern is this: with it being hosted by a company located in the United States, couldn't they just send a copy of the judgement to GoDaddy?

It's been a fairly common issue. I remember in the 2000s, the fact that a known piracy site was located in another country without the same copyright laws most have in place made it extremely difficult for authorities to have it taken down permanently. Every time they succeeded, it came right back and it was a hassle all around.

Fortunately, finding information on a domain isn't all that difficult. All web sites are registered with ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. They also handle top level domain registration (which is very expensive). They're the guys who approve applications for new domains such as dot com.

In this case, I found that the site is hosted by GoDaddy. It's location is listed as Arizona, so in this case it appears that the foreign country where the site is located would be the very state that Capuano resides in, which undoubtedly has to make the entire fiasco even more frustrating for the victim. I honestly expected an entirely different result that actually made things significantly more complicated.

Now my concern is this: with it being hosted by a company located in the United States, couldn't they just send a copy of the judgement to GoDaddy?
I don't know, but I very much doubt Canadian courts have the power to force a business in a foreign country to do anything. Otherwise, to take an extreme example, China or Russia would be having a field day.

IMO, we are being very slow to realize how the internet is being widely used to promote hatred of different groups of people and individuals, to spread conspiracy theories, to encourage and support people to act in anti-social, anti-government, anti-everything ways, and to support criminal enterprises.

IMO, we're only beginning to see a concerted effort to try to force the companies that profit from the internet, including social media like FB, to monitor and delete harmful content. It's a 180 turn, for what was originally seen as a wonderful tool to promote peace, love and harmony. I think it's going to be a long, hard, messy business to try to work it out.

IMO, if the website is, in fact, located in Arizona, it might be good for the victim to lobby in Arizona for it to be taken down. Perhaps she has.

It seems to me, we long had a system where you could hate someone as much as you liked, but no newspaper would publish your venoms, and there were other defamation actions available if the hater made public allegations. IMO, turning this very stubborn guy into a criminal is just increasing his sense of angry self-righteousness.

Wow! Honestly shocked it’s hosted thru GoDaddy. I’d think a good US attorney could work to get that taken down. She should use a funding site to get the money & get it done. I realize he could just move it to another host, but there must be some way to stop this horrible man. I’d be calling Congressmen & Trump himself. Inexcusable this can happen. If it can happen to her it can happen to anyone. Mo

Interesting. Thanks for your research.

Wow! Honestly shocked it’s hosted thru GoDaddy. I’d think a good US attorney could work to get that taken down. She should use a funding site to get the money & get it done. I realize he could just move it to another host, but there must be some way to stop this horrible man. I’d be calling Congressmen & Trump himself. Inexcusable this can happen. If it can happen to her it can happen to anyone. Mo

ITA re a funding site, and use the money to go for an injunction against Go Daddy, and if that fails sue Go Daddy for the criminal harassment for causing a "communication with another person ... electronic ...". Go Daddy is the entity that is allowing the communication that constitutes the harassment, specifically that portion red and bolded below:

There are several different types of harassment under Arizona Provisions which regulate the conduct of society, primarily generated by the legislative brand of government.

A person commits criminal harassment if they intentionally, or with the knowledge that they are bothering someone do one of the following:
1. Anonymously or otherwise contacts, communicates or causes a communication with another person by verbal, electronic, mechanical, telegraphic, telephonic or written means in a manner that harasses.
2. Continues to follow another person in or about a public place for no legitimate purpose after being asked to desist.
3. Repeatedly commits an act or acts that harass another person.
4. Surveils or causes another person to surveil a person for no legitimate purpose.
5. On more than one occasion makes a false report to a law enforcement, credit or social sector agency.
6. Interferes with the delivery of any public or regulated utility to a person.

I don't know, but I very much doubt Canadian courts have the power to force a business in a foreign country to do anything.

[...]

IMO, turning this very stubborn guy into a criminal is just increasing his sense of angry self-righteousness.

Ah, that certainly makes sense. Though it's a different crime from the piracy I mentioned, it's protected by the same thing: the country's borders. In this case, the victim needs to reach out to her lawyer and request assistance with having the order enforced, since the site is hosted here in the United States. Hopefully she's able to find the funding she needs in order to get this taken care of.

I am in complete agreement in regards to internet content. There's a fine line between free speech and promoting hate, and it's a line many companies (Facebook included) won't touch with a nine foot pole. I believe we're going to see a lot of changes to the way we use the internet, social media especially, to communicate.

Fox already expressed that he doesn't care what he's charged with or how much time he serves. He shows no remorse for what he's doing or the hell he's putting another person through and that's problematic. It's something that needs to be addressed in a manner that brings results, as opposed to rinsing and repeating the same court proceedings over and over.

At this point, it appears Fox and Capuano are at a stalemate.

Absolutely. Social media has its perks, and in some ways one might refer to it as a necessary evil. If the victim can set up a fundraiser and apply those funds toward getting things taken care of state-side, moving forward might be easier.

Interesting. Thanks for your research.

You're welcome!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...no-online-harassment-case-vancouver-1.4161348

"Why do you provoke and insult him?" asked Lagemaat in court. "Why didn't you just leave it?"

Capuano said she endured abuse for years and had to communicate with Fox as a court had ordered they share custody of their son.

As for her counter-attacks, she said she eventually felt compelled to fight back.

Capuano insulted Fox, addressed him like a child, said he'd grown up in a trailer, took drugs and got his taste for satin sheets from his "trashy prostitute" mother.

She accused Fox of taking drugs, lashing out like an "impotent child" and of harbouring a sick obsession for her that was kind of "cute."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...no-online-harassment-case-vancouver-1.4161348

"Why do you provoke and insult him?" asked Lagemaat in court. "Why didn't you just leave it?"

Capuano said she endured abuse for years and had to communicate with Fox as a court had ordered they share custody of their son.

As for her counter-attacks, she said she eventually felt compelled to fight back.

Capuano insulted Fox, addressed him like a child, said he'd grown up in a trailer, took drugs and got his taste for satin sheets from his "trashy prostitute" mother.

She accused Fox of taking drugs, lashing out like an "impotent child" and of harbouring a sick obsession for her that was kind of "cute."
Per her statement, it was “sarcasm”... “because she believed she needed to stand up to a man committed to ‘destroy her life’ with a revenge website”.

He even posted pics of her other son, from another marriage- in his underwear. That should bring charges of distribution of child *advertiser censored*, imo. Idk how old her son is, but I hope 18 soon, so she never has to have court-ordered “communication” with this a-hole again. Imo all communication should be through mediator. Sometimes custody sharing is done this way. Completely toxic man.

Per her statement, it was “sarcasm”... “because she believed she needed to stand up to a man committed to ‘destroy her life’ with a revenge website”.

He even posted pics of her other son, from another marriage- in his underwear. That should bring charges of distribution of child *advertiser censored*, imo. Idk how old her son is, but I hope 18 soon, so she never has to have court-ordered “communication” with this a-hole again. Imo all communication should be through mediator. Sometimes custody sharing is done this way. Completely toxic man.

Ah yes, the victim-shaming. "Well you provoked him. What did you expect?" This mindset is appalling and my heart goes out to Capuano and her children. Is it mature to retort? Probably not, but that doesn't justify allowing Fox to continue harassing her. I can't even imagine the psychological effects this fiasco has on her family, because this must make her children suffer too.

Ah yes, the victim-shaming. "Well you provoked him. What did you expect?" This mindset is appalling and my heart goes out to Capuano and her children. Is it mature to retort? Probably not, but that doesn't justify allowing Fox to continue harassing her. I can't even imagine the psychological effects this fiasco has on her family, because this must make her children suffer too.
I don't think this x-examination has any legal or other relevance (beyond providing content for salacious news stories)

What people say to each other in private is their own business.

There is no criminal code violation called 'saying mean things to someone'.

The court only cares about actions that cause harm. She didn't, for example, set up a website containing these comments about him.

It is also not a valid defence to pull out the 'she said mean things to me' card

"Your honour, she said mean things to me so I was obliged to steal her car."

or "He said mean things to me, so of course I killed him".

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back