CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange County Sheriff's Office

Update:
AUTHORITIES STILL SEARCHING FOR FORMER BERKELEY STUDENT FROM CHAPEL HILL MISSING IN SAN FRANCISCO

Hillsborough, NC (October 5, 2020) – Sydney West, 19, from Chapel Hill, until recently was a student at UC Berkeley in California. Now living in San Francisco with friends, she has not been seen or heard from since September 29. Her last known location was Chrissy Field in San Francisco.

“We are asking anyone who has any information about our daughter Sydney to please contact the investigators. We are anxious to have our daughter found safe and brought home,” said Sydney West’s parents.

“Syd,” as she likes to be called, is likely wearing dark shorts, slip on Vans, and has her hair in a ponytail. She is 5'10", weighs 130 pounds, and has blue eyes and light brown hair. She may be carrying a black backpack.

She has been reported missing with the San Francisco authorities and entered into NCIC as a missing person. The San Francisco police transferred her case to the Missing Persons Section of the Special Victim’s Unit. Sergeant Michael Horan is the lead investigator.

If anyone has any leads or tips for the San Francisco police to investigate, please call Sergeant Horan at (415) 553 1028.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina is asking anyone in North Carolina who may have had recent contact with Syd to call Investigator Ashley Woodlief at (919) 245 – 2909.

###

Parents speak out after Chapel Hill woman vanishes in San Francisco | CBS 17
RBbM
According to the Sheriff’s office she was recently a student at Berkeley, but now lives in SF with friends. Sounds like she dropped out shortly after starting her freshman year.

With all the media attention "Syd" is receiving and still no word from her it does not look promising. The question has been raised of her mobile phone. There appears to be no definitive answer is it with her? Though being "out there" may mean no means of charging her phone. At this point all I can do is pray for her that God is watching over her!

Crissy Field:

(Surely someone would have seen her if she was on the bridge, right?)

No one ever wants to think of suicide, but given her apparent depression, we know it’s a possibility, sadly. Syd wouldn’t necessarily be seen from Crissy Field if she timed it right and walked closer to Marin county away from S.F. It takes about 35 minutes to walk across the bridge. Another thought is that she kept going after crossing the bridge and hiked a trail on the Marin side. But if so, where is she?

Here are the hours for pedestrians on the bridge...

Pedestrians, including persons with disabilities using mobility devices such as wheelchairs, are only allowed on the east sidewalk (side facing San Francisco). Hours vary seasonally as follows:

Pacific Standard Time (early November to early March - dates vary): East sidewalk hours are 5:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Automatically-controlled gates close at 6:30 p.m. and reopen at 5:00 a.m.

Pacific Daylight Time (early March to early November - dates vary): East sidewalk hours are 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. on weekends). Automatically-controlled gates close at 8:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. on weekends) and reopen at 5:00 a.m.

ALERT: During Suicide Deterrent System construction, on some weeknights, the east sidewalk will close one hour early to pedestrians. For dates and details, go to GGB Temporary Weeknight Lane Closures.

Bikes & Pedestrians - Visiting the Bridge | Golden Gate

More info about walking the bridge...on weekdays bikes are on the west side so just pedestrians on the east.
The Golden Gate Bridge: a Local's Guide to the Bridge.

On Wednesday September 30 sunset was at 6:53, so someone could have over an hour before the gates closed at 8:00 when most people at Crissy Field would be gone and it would be dusk.

Sunrise and sunset times in San Francisco, September 2020

A suicide prevention barrier and net installation has been delayed until 2023. :(
Golden Gate Bridge suicide barrier delayed

No one ever wants to think of suicide, but given her apparent depression, we know it’s a possibility, sadly. Syd wouldn’t necessarily be seen from Crissy Field if she timed it right and walked closer to Marin county away from S.F. It takes about 35 minutes to walk across the bridge. Another thought is that she kept going after crossing the bridge and hiked a trail on the Marin side. But if so, where is she?

Pedestrians, including persons with disabilities using mobility devices such as wheelchairs, are only allowed on the east sidewalk (side facing San Francisco). Hours vary seasonally as follows:

Pacific Standard Time (early November to early March - dates vary): East sidewalk hours are 5:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Automatically-controlled gates close at 6:30 p.m. and reopen at 5:00 a.m.

Pacific Daylight Time (early March to early November - dates vary): East sidewalk hours are 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. on weekends). Automatically-controlled gates close at 8:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. on weekends) and reopen at 5:00 a.m.

ALERT: During Suicide Deterrent System construction, on some weeknights, the east sidewalk will close one hour early to pedestrians. For dates and details, go to GGB Temporary Weeknight Lane Closures.

More info about walking the bridge...on weekdays bikes are on the west side so just pedestrians on the east.

On Wednesday September 30 sunset was at 6:53, so someone could have over an hour before the gates closed at 8:00 when most people at Crissy Field would be gone and it would be dusk.

A suicide prevention barrier and net installation has been delayed until 2023. :(
I have wondered about the same thing, sadly.

A few of the articles posted above now call her "a former student at Berkeley" so I find that confusing. Did she withdraw from the university? Was she living in SF with friends? None of these articles give a clear picture of her circumstances when she went missing. Did she have her phone? Was she with friends and who physically saw her last? This doesn't sound good but always hoping for the best.

When I searched the UC Berkeley student directory, her name did not show up:

Campus Directory | University of California, Berkeley

Since she took a gap year after graduating high school (and was apparently depressed about that decision per the Oct 2019 blog post on Medium), it appears she was to start this fall but either withdrew and/or never even started. I'm sure that would be a massive disappointment for someone who sounds to be a perfectionist and have high expectations for herself (per her blog).

I have a bad feeling that self-harm may be the most likely outcome and she is no longer alive. I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, Sydney is not unlike many young people who are struggling in our current time. It is so hard to read this thread. She has so much going for her. I want to believe that she just took off (and I hope she did). But, I am not sure. Sydney, I hope you are safe somewhere. I hope you are at peace. Wishing her family gets answers as soon as possible.

Syd wrote on her blog:
Tired of being consumed with anxiety, tired of it taking over the plans for my life, leaving me to resemble nothing more than an ambitious girl who talked and talked and talked but just didn’t have enough grit. Yet again. Who thought she was special, thought she could change the world, but couldn’t. Who is secretly insignificant.

See, I don’t believe that. I don’t believe that at all. But the voice inside my head does. And she’s wrong. I think? No, I know.
I am only a few years older and I feel this exact same way lately... praying for you Syd.

Do we know if she was/is currently depressed? The only piece of information we have leading to her being down/sad/depressed is from 2019. She just started her college career. It's an exciting time for young people. I know this year hasn't been easy on anyone... but.. I'm just having a difficult time going straight to a possible suicidal act with this one. I think we need more information before jumping to that. JMO though.

What would be good to know:
1. Did she indeed have her phone with her? If so, where did it last ping?
2. Was she with a friend or anyone else?
3. Where was she last seen?
4. Was she seen on any of he cameras on the bridge or in the area?
5. What time did she start her exploring for the day?
6. When was the last time she was heard from family/friends?
7. What was her last conversation like with them?
8. How did she get to this are? BART? drive? bike?
(this is important because honestly, I would not feel safe/comfortable taking the BART)

Also, is California still pretty closed down? I ask because this would hinder her going in to the coffee shops or stores in the area. When I was there for work (pre-covid), I loved exploring that whole area. I was staying in Larkspur and working in Richmond. I loved checking out the cute coffee shops and stores, seeing the history of the area, driving and walking around.

I'm hoping and praying she is found soon. She's so young and has her whole life ahead of her.

With COVID, many new college students who aren't social butterflies, are probably pretty isolated. It was stated Syd has been living with friends in the San Francisco area so, she does have friends. I wonder what her life in SF was like. Was she actually going to UC Berkeley, was she working?
Are any of her roommates talking or posting on social media?

Holy Hannah Montana they’ve worked their behinds off trying to deter suicides. I wonder what the numbers are now versus before all this was put in place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member