Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, what does it matter? Plexiglass. Doesn't the administration have bigger things to worry about than some protective plexiglass?

Why all this fuss about personal protection? I just don't get it.

Because of the high possibility of negative tests. VP Pence has had two (?) negatives and negatives are untrustworthy apparently. MOO.

What pandemic? Crowds swarm the Great Wall of China as travel surges during holiday week

The scene at the Great Wall of China this past week would have been unthinkable just months ago.

84c39932-0fff-49f4-a3f4-a645478482a1.jpg

It's Golden Week -- an eight-day national holiday, one of China's busiest annual travel periods, and a major test for the country as it emerges from the coronavirus pandemic.

China's official reported virus numbers have stayed low since the spring. There have been a few flare-ups, including a cluster in Beijing in June, but these were met with immediate lockdown measures and mass testing, and the outbreaks were contained within a few weeks.

With close to zero local transmissions, people flocked to bus stations, airports and transit hubs to travel around the country for the holiday, which kicked off on October 1. Local authorities competed to attract tourists, with provincial and municipal governments issuing travel vouchers and tourist attractions offering free or discounted tickets.

If the virus spreads further through the autumn and winter, Iwasaki expects to see more reinfections, with some patients infectious enough to pass the virus on.

Flurry of coronavirus reinfections leaves scientists puzzled

According to a recent peer-reviewed study out of Israel that found a case of true reinfection, the odds that someone will become reinfected is a "rare phenomenon."

South Korea officials also announced a number of reinfections, but have since said they were due to early false positive tests.

Unfortunately, according to the Lancet, we're still having problems with false positives in testing.

So, for now, we can take comfort in the researcher's explanations, but it would sure be nice to have 100% accuracy on the tests.

I guess it helps if you give them the correct advice at first instead of trying to bamboozle them so that you can shore up you country's medical supplies. That is what happened IMO.

Yes, some countries did indeed give their citizens correct advice immediately as did China and South Korea and others. It was shocking and amazing at the same time to follow such, and look at their outcomes. Wow!

My family member has taught kids from Wuhan remotely for years... and it's amazing her stories from the beginning, and to now. Just amazing.

I guess the best analogy would be to New York and how they were caught off guard. And also, I still to this day get a daily text alert from King County that I signed up for when the FIRST US case was there. They are really really on top of communications and support and guidance etc.

I still remember when we followed one of the first here on the second thread who was in China and an American citizen, Ben, ... and they shut down the travel, they did tracing and testing and isolation/quarantines. We learned so much from his daily posts that were shared here. It's just inherent in some countries.

Excellent point for buttressing what I'm trying to say.

As to the shoring up... yes, we hadn't had the experience to do such but we are getting there!

"How could the US have prevented the entry of the virus" was the question though.

Because they have never had preventatives regarding the spread of it like they have with Covid. It has been admitted that the measures like hand washing and education has also prevented the spread of flu this year too and saved thousands of lives. South Aussie or you I believe said that in one of your posts. So why has this not been emphasized before to save flu deaths, especially among children and the elderly? PPE in care homes for one example alone.

ETA this is the link previously posted about how flu deaths had been prevented

This time last year 430 people had died from influenza. This year it's just 36

Yes, and there are obvious reasons....... all the preventative measures for Covid also influence getting the flu.

I thought Trump always paid for his healthcare.
Nope. I pay for his healthcare. Because I pay my taxes. Lots. Every year, with pride.
Is the plexiglass going to affect that? Not following the logic.
If one of the parties wants to have personal protection, so what?

IMO

Posturing, denial, and control on the part of those who are ashamed that this is where their actions brought us. I don't forget that they had the audacity to repeatedly refer to coronavirus in the past tense at their convention a little while back.

Last edited:
“Feuding” in a tiktok video with your daughter o_O for real? (Im not gonna watch it) About your covid test? (To keep this post on topic :D)
Yah. That explains some things :rolleyes:

imo moo etc

Kellyanne Conway says she actually had three Covid tests on Friday, of which one came back negative and two positive.

Kellyanne wrote separately on Tuesday morning that 'Claudia and I are faring well in quarantine. Everyone else is negative.'

Kellyanne Conway feuds with her daughter Claudia in TikTok video

Last edited:
How about the various funerals--like for John Lewis...

Were these large 4 day funerals also 'super spreaders?'

Oh my gosh! That was at the height of the infections! What were they thinking!!! So many people are probably dead because of that!!!

Over 80k deaths were preventable - I agree. But the rest weren't. Why aren't flu deaths preventable too? Noone gives a fig about them and more children die of flu than coronavirus. (See link below) Also, how do you account for the enormous differences between the individual states death rates?

DeSantis Says COVID Is a Lower Risk for School-Aged Kids Than Flu

And this article is just yesterday. Even though DeSantis is laxidasical about masks etc, the mayors and school districts, especially in the more urban parts of the state are not. So far, there is a high confidence in the local leadership.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article246251870.html

As South Florida students make their way back into school halls, parents will have to become familiar with the newest addition to student essentials: masks.

Masks are a core part of Miami-Dade and Broward counties plan to increase safety in schools. This means many new policies to remember and follow.

Students, teachers, staff and anyone who walks into the school office will be required to wear a mask or face covering to help protect others from COVID-19, regardless if you have symptoms.

Was there any difference between uni students partying and the WH Rose garden event?

Me thinks not.

*stands up and raises hand*

One has world leader, cabinet members, military leaders to protect the country potentially being exposed and NOW are to be ISOLATED, and quarantined and proven to have been affected as to their DUTIES.

*sits down*

Attachments

• FA7A94B3-AD30-4CE5-B348-154C21141F1F.jpeg
    FA7A94B3-AD30-4CE5-B348-154C21141F1F.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors