Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fauci predicts US could have 300k-400k COVID-19 deaths

Dr. Anthony Fauci offered the grim prediction while speaking at a virtual event yesterday.

"The models tell us that if we do not do the kinds of things that we're talking about in the cold of the fall and the winter, we could have from 300,000 to 400,000 deaths," Fauci said. "That would be just so tragic if that happens."
Daily average is around 700 deaths ATM which would be 21,000 a month if it stays at that. He must be anticipating an increase to at least 3,000 a day. That's terrible news.

I took prednisone when i was in my 40s for asthma attacks: in those days i had no side effects. Fast forward 20 years later when I needed prednisone (oral)- for an asthma attack: the pills made me so jumpy and agitated. I haven't taken them since. The Dexamethasone the president is getting is I am sure much stronger than what most people take for inflammatory conditions at home and the side effects would be much more pronounced.

Yes, side effects can happen at any age. I'm hypersensitive to a lot of medication. It really depends on the dosage. I take three times per day and the lowest dose, 5 days, with only extra energy as a side effect.

MOO...The president is acting his usual self, I'm not sure I see a difference in his behaviour. No disrespect intended.... He's always Twittered in the middle of the night, announced decisions via Twitter, all normal for him. I don't think I can blame the drug and it concerns me others may not take based on MSM coverage.

I think the president is on a low dose and they will probably, if not already, reducing the daily dose...weaning him off.

All my respectful opinion ....

Last edited:
About 80 Orthodox Jews protest over Cuomo's restrictions in areas with COVID surges | Daily Mail Online

Well here's an ugly scene: Orthodox Jews burning masks ( this is not anti-semetic post as I am jewish)-- I am just a tad shocked with this display.
I thought you were saying it was a fuss. If there is a known risk one of them is asymptomatic or positive, it shouldn't take place at all but instead go ahead virtually. It's not just about the two participants but both sets of entourage and the reporting employees to consider. MOO.

I cannot think of one good reason not to have this debate virtually-- what is the point of having it face to face with lots of other people around. Kamala should insist on it (since Pence didn't want the plexiglass)---

About 80 Orthodox Jews protest over Cuomo's restrictions in areas with COVID surges | Daily Mail Online

Well here's an ugly scene: Orthodox Jews burning masks ( this is not anti-semetic post as I am jewish)-- I am just a tad shocked with this display.

New York's leaders have not handled their relationships with the Orthodox community very well, at all, and so this is the outcome. IMO. Not sure what he expected. And the burning of masks is probably just a way to focus their anguish and frustration. We know that people have a hard time directing their anger, we saw it in the riots, with smashing and burning. Prayers for all people of faith everywhere as we navigate these difficult times.

From the news article:

Yeger is heard telling the men: 'We're going to be safe. We're going to be smart. We're going to wear masks.

'But we are not going to be deprived the right that we have in America, like everybody else in America, the right to observe our religion, the right to do it freely, the right to do it without government interference.'

'I don't care who in government thinks that they can stop us. They're wrong. Let them try,' Yeger added.

His administration's utter lack of coordination and communication with local officials has been an ongoing issue since the start of the pandemic and particularly recently as we face this uptick... What occurred today can only be described as a duplicitous bait-and-switch.'

The local leaders called it 'disgraceful' that Cuomo would impose restrictions 'targeting our community in the midst of our Jewish holidays'.

We've come a long way from the first simple pattern put out by an Indiana hospital, so much changing information about the best materials, and elastic shortages.
Yes, we have come a long way. Our front line "mask makers" have saved many lives.

My BF converted her small sewing shop into mask making production. She's a RN and even obtained a EU authorization from the FDA. They drove to Georgia to pick up special fabric. They gave away all the masks and continue to supply mask at no charge.

Our mask makers.....TRUE HERO'S !!!!

Future generations will read of our mask makers in our history.

Moo....

Last edited:
New York's leaders have not handled their relationships with the Orthodox community very well, at all, and so this is the outcome. IMO. Not sure what he expected. And the burning of masks is probably just a way to focus their anguish and frustration. We know that people have a hard time directing their anger, we saw it in the riots, with smashing and burning. Prayers for all people of faith everywhere as we navigate these difficult times.

From the news article:

Yeger is heard telling the men: 'We're going to be safe. We're going to be smart. We're going to wear masks.

'But we are not going to be deprived the right that we have in America, like everybody else in America, the right to observe our religion, the right to do it freely, the right to do it without government interference.'

'I don't care who in government thinks that they can stop us. They're wrong. Let them try,' Yeger added.

His administration's utter lack of coordination and communication with local officials has been an ongoing issue since the start of the pandemic and particularly recently as we face this uptick... What occurred today can only be described as a duplicitous bait-and-switch.'

The local leaders called it 'disgraceful' that Cuomo would impose restrictions 'targeting our community in the midst of our Jewish holidays'.

It is unfortunate if leadership has not been communicating with the Orthodox Community in a positive way. Sigh

Yes, side effects can happen at any age. I'm hypersensitive to a lot of medication. It really depends on the dosage. I take three times per day and the lowest dose with only extra energy as a side effect.

MOO...The president is acting his usual self, I'm not sure I see a difference in his behaviour. No disrespect intended.... He's always Twittered in the middle of the night, announced decisions via Twitter, all normal for him. I don't think I can blame the drug and it concerns me others may not take based on MSM coverage.

I think the president is on a low dose and they will probably, if not already, reducing the daily dose...weaning him off.

Here's a recent BBC article recapping his treatment.

Trump's healthcare v the average American's

"VIP treatment is a feature of American medicine," read an article in Washington Post, looking at the president's treatment. "Major hospitals throughout the country have private spaces for celebrities, the super-rich and the influential, patients who want to be shielded from the public and just may make a large donation if they are happy with their care."

Compare this to the intensive care wards across the country, where beds have been running out at various points during the pandemic. Hospitals in Florida, Texas and Arizona have all struggled with maximum occupancy in the summer.

_114788957_us_cases_deaths6oct-nc.png

The Texas Medical Center in Houston, for example, prepared a Covid "war room", using various strategies to save space, such as involving reassigning staff, putting beds closer together and using regular beds for emergency use.

Fiana Tulip, from Texas, lost her mother to the disease in July. She told the BBC that her mother was scared of the overcrowded hospitals in Dallas at the time.

"My mum - a healthcare worker who put her life at risk every single day - didn't want to go to the hospital because it was worse there, because it was full, because she wouldn't get the care that she needed, and she knew that because she worked in a hospital," Ms Tulip said.

Case numbers have since fallen below this peak, but there are concerns they could rise again over winter.

Continued at link.

Fairview Heights Elementary temporarily closed due to COVID-19 | Richmond County Daily Journal

Because of a potential cluster of COVID-19 cases, Richmond County Schools announced on Monday afternoon that it would temporarily close Fairview Heights Elementary School at the end of the school day and transition all of the school’s face-to-face classes to remote learning for two weeks.

According to a spreadsheet updated daily by RCS, the school system has recorded 55 cases to date of COVID-19. Seventeen staff members, 29 students learning remotely, five students taking in-person classes and four central services staff members have tested positive for COVID-19. Six staff members at Fairview Heights have tested positive. A the same school, five students taking in-person classes and two students learning remotely have tested positive. Around the rest of the school system, the positive tests have included: one staff member and one in-person student at East Rockingham Elementary; two staff members at L.J. Bell Elementary; one in-person student at Mineral Springs Elementary; one staff member at Monroe Avenue Elementary; and one staff member at West Rockingham Elementary.

This is my hometown in NC although I don't live there anymore. Fairview Heights is an elementary school. How do we keep these kids quarantined? They will be out playing in the street......

Yes, side effects can happen at any age. I'm hypersensitive to a lot of medication. It really depends on the dosage. I take three times per day and the lowest dose, 5 days, with only extra energy as a side effect.

I think as we age our bodies don't clear drugs the way they did when we were younger so medication does affect older people a little differently. I am not sure if the Dexamethasone given to Covid patients is the same way they give prednisone to patients with asthma -- by weaning the patient off until the drug is gone. I have no clue how they administer Dexamethasone in Covid patients. I would imagine they still have to wean the patient off--- have no clue what dose and for how long. maybe somebody else has that info. I imagine it is a pretty large dose though. Also, again, remembering drugs affect older (elderly people) a little differently, it could have caused more adverse reactions in Trump, which could have included mania (though I don't know that is what he had or has).

They immediately shut down, masked up and contact traced and tested right? They had the original SARS epidemic experience so were way better prepared definitely. It is still no excuse though for WHO and governments deliberately giving out false mask info all the way thru till June. So for two months and more people were still flying in planes and travelling in cramped railway and underground carriages and taking it home to others.

Exactly! Glad you are giving such an example of how science is fluid.

It's a scientific learning curve for all. Thanks for pointing such out what happened in the past as to how science can change so so quickly and agreeing with me that things change so quickly.

And appreciate your verification that they were better prepared (China, South Korea etc) than many others.

Amazing isn't it!

Exactly! Glad you are giving such an example of how science is fluid.

It's a scientific learning curve for all. Thanks for pointing such out what happened in the past as to how science can change so so quickly and agreeing with me that things change so quickly.

And appreciate your verification that they were better prepared (China, South Korea etc) than many others.

Amazing isn't it!
It's not surprising for various reasons. Technology, compliant population, mask usage already in place for prior disease and pollution reasons, they were ahead of the West regarding vaccine technology and coronavirus studies. They had the first outbreak to study and they had WHO full attention and help. However, it is not amazing because they could not contain it like New Zealand or Australia, which was very unfortunate, considering all their advantages as stated here. Now it is being investigated rightly. Lessons to be learned definitely.

Patriots Stephon Gilmore tests positive for Covid-19
Rsbm/more at link

Gilmore played 100% of the Patriots defensive snaps in their Monday night loss to Kansas City. The cornerback finished with three tackles and a forced fumble. According to multiple reports, however, Gilmore was one of the players who was in close contact with Newton the previous Friday. On that day, Newton was tested for Covid in the morning and stayed in the building and practiced. Players didn’t learn of his positive result until Saturday morning.

As Covid-19 has shown, the incubation period takes longer than a few days. The Patriots are just on small example of this. They had no positive test results on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. By Tuesday, they had a practice squad player, who didn’t travel to Kansas City, get placed on the Covid-19/Reserve list. By Wednesday, Gilmore tested positive after days of negative test results.

Gilmore road on a bus on Monday morning to the airport and then got on a plane. That evening, he played football and shared a locker room with more teammates, coaches and staff. When the game was over, he road on the bus again and then took another flight back to Massachusetts before getting on another bus to go back to the stadium.

For the Patriots and the NFL, this is terrible news.

Uh oh
Patriots’ Stephon Gilmore tests positive for COVID-19
New England Patriots star cornerback Stephon Gilmore has tested positive for COVID-19, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.
Gilmore, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, joins quarterback Cam Newton and practice squad defensive lineman Bill Murray on the team’s Reserved/COVID-19 list.

(Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81)

Also / no new info
Ex-N.J. Gov. Chris Christie remains hospitalized for COVID-19
Christie’s current condition is not known. Hospital officials declined comment Tuesday.

Last edited:
I think as we age our bodies don't clear drugs the way they did when we were younger so medication does affect older people a little differently. I am not sure if the Dexamethasone given to Covid patients is the same way they give prednisone to patients with asthma -- by weaning the patient off until the drug is gone. I have no clue how they administer Dexamethasone in Covid patients. I would imagine they still have to wean the patient off--- have no clue what dose and for how long. maybe somebody else has that info. I imagine it is a pretty large dose though. Also, again, remembering drugs affect older (elderly people) a little differently, it could have caused more adverse reactions in Trump, which could have included mania (though I don't know that is what he had or has).
This is an early Dexamethasone study.

WHO welcomes preliminary results about dexamethasone use in treating critically ill COVID-19 patients

Surprising to me that this breakthrough came from the UK and not China or Korea or those with the early cases. Maybe because we had it so much more severe perhaps, so more patients for the trial.

I am going to park this link here to the Recovery trials which also cover some of the other treatments like monoclonal antibodies.

Welcome — RECOVERY Trial

Randomised Evaluation COVid thERapY

Last edited:
Update on the Health and Safety Precautions taken within the Executive Residence | The White House

The health and safety of the Residence staff is of the utmost importance to the First Family.

Since March, the Residence has adopted hospital-grade disinfection policies, had White House Medical Unit lead coronavirus workshops so staff could have their concerns addressed, significantly reduced staff, and encouraged maximum teleworking. The Residence also installed additional sanitization and filtration systems throughout the Executive Mansion.

The health of Residence staff members and their families are a paramount concern to the First Family so the following precautionary measures have been taken during this pandemic:

In March, similar sanitization and filtration systems were provided to each Residence employee to be used in their homes to further protect them and their family members.

In the beginning of April, all Residence staff were required to wear masks at all times.

Residence staff in direct contact with the First Family are tested daily, with support staff tested every 48 hours.

In addition to support from the Medical Unit, the Residence has hired independent health consultants who are available to check on staff and their families, facilitating ancillary testing as needed.

The Residence also hired a ‘well-being’ consultant, which staff members can speak to anonymously, specifically to focus on mental health concerns.

With the recent positive results of the President and First Lady, staff wear full PPE and continue to take all necessary precautions, which include updated procedures to protect against cross contamination.

Covid in Scotland: Central belt faces toughest rules - BBC News

1. More than 3.4 million people in Scotland will experience some of the harshest measures with pubs and restaurants closed for at least the next three weekends
  2. A Scottish government document says "more comprehensive restrictions across the central belt" should help stem the virus
  3. In other areas of the country, pubs and restaurants can remain open, but they will only be allowed to serve alcohol outdoors
  4. There will be no mandatory travel ban, but people in central Scotland are being advised to restrict movement to their local area
  5. 1,054 positive cases have been logged in the last 24 hours. Hospital cases rose by 54 and total 319. There are 28 patients in ICU - up three, and one person who tested positive has died
  6. As well as the FM's Covid rules update there will be a statement about the future of the 2021 school exams
  7. One suggestion is that the National 5 exams do not take place with grades being based on coursework and class tests

Do you live in a closed border place?
I am not sure that you understand how it works. And maybe I am not explaining it very well.

Yes, the odd infected person comes through. They are placed into isolation right away, before they can start community spread.

We have two statuses here for new covid cases.
Quarantined traveller new cases (no community risk)
Community new cases (tons of people go for testing)
When we have new cases, they always tell us which type of new cases they are.

I live in the US and perhaps it's not quite the same here. Right now, our northern and southern borders are "closed," but truckers who are transporting goods are exempted from that rule, so are people who are returning to their own countries and those who are considered to be on "essential" trips. In reality, the only people who are not allowed to cross both borders are those who are doing it for traveling/tourist reasons right now. And, although our southern border is also considered to be closed, we still have illegal immigrants slipping through, so it's a bit of a misnomer to say we're in a closed nation. Plus visitors can always fly out and in. If someone crosses who does not have symptoms and does not test positive, they are allowed to go on their way--no quarantine--and that's the issue.

@MrX

I remember you were wondering what was behind the improvement in Arizona. Here's a study I just happened upon.

What is added by this report?

The number of COVID-19 cases in Arizona stabilized and then decreased after sustained implementation and enforcement of statewide and locally enhanced mitigation measures, beginning approximately 2 weeks after implementation and enforcement of mask mandates and enhanced sanitations practices began on June 17; further decreases were observed during July 13–August 7, after statewide limitations and closures of certain services and businesses.

Trends in COVID-19 Incidence After Implementation ...

From the news article:

Can't blame New York or Governor Cuomo, we had the same issues in New Jersey:

N.J. rabbi will ‘absolutely’ continue to hold services despite arrest for violating coronavirus rules

Coronavirus NJ: Lakewood rabbi joins challenge of COVID-19 restrictions

and more..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads