Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought maybe Barry thought it was the right thing to do and was sparing his daughter from that discussion. This seems to be more business with him needing it for the sale of a home in Indiana that was already in the works to be sold, so maybe he just wanted to handle the business part thinking of it as something that needed done and GM is a business guy as well so he would get that. Keeping the girls from having to have that talk. I try to look at it from all angles and if Barry is innocent here, then what other reason would there be? He wanted to spare his girls more pain, would be my guess.

You may very well be correct: he may've been trying tonspare the girls any extra grief. However, the statute expressly requires that adukt children be given notice. It's not optional.

First, to answer the geology part of the question:
The Rocky Mountains are a series of batholiths......huge bubbles of magma that rose from the earth's molten core eons ago. In general, mineable minerals occur at the edges, or between two adjacent batholiths. The fact that there has been so much mining activity in SM's immediate neighborhood, coupled with the altitude, tend to support a theory that the surface is mostly solid granite or feldspar. The soil that can be shoveled, even in the river bottoms of the canyon, is probably less than eighteen inches deep. SM's house was built on a hump of land that protrudes out of the bottomland. AM referred to it as "a mountain", but I believe the more proper term might be "mini-hogback ridge". With that eighth grade geology lesson complete, it is safe to say that SM's house is built "slab on grade". If there is a "crawl space" it is likely to be a very confined space under a raised floor area reserved for utilities access. The water source is a well, which probably uses a submersible pump but requires a pressure tank, electrical and hydraulic controls, and a water heater to be placed indoors. I believe SM's house is also partially heated by in-slab hot water radiant heating. This requires it's own pump, control system and distribution manifold.
So does SM's house have a basement? No
Does SM's house have a crawl space? Yes, it could. probably a small one.
Is SM's house built on a slab on bedrock? Yes, it appears to be.

The genealogy of the beach house in Salida is different. First, it's in a broad valley. The bedrock is most likely deeper than a basement would be dug. It's also on the river bank. The soil is permeated with rounded rocks and boulders that have washed down from higher up, over the eons. It kind of has the consistency of steel ball bearings suspended in modeling clay. If you read the assessor's reports, all of the houses along that riverfront stretch of CR 105 were originally mobile homes, which sit above grade and do not require either a foundation or a slab. That house and garage were designed to "float". That huge digger was used to scrape out the top layer of soil and rocks to make a wide slot for the very large concrete footings, then the ground inside the footings was scraped of it topmost soil and compacted using a compressed air powered tamper. Insulating ground mat was laid everywhere, and in-slab hot water radiant heat tubes were laid throughout. An extensive grid of interlocked reinforcing rod (rebar) was added to stiffen the slab strcuture, before the concrete was poured.
IMO

Wow, thank you for the in depth analysis. I was never really sure how deep the footings of that home in Salida were as well as the layer of earth to establish whether it was viable to hide a body under the foundation.

Re: the notes that BM provided. Disclaimer: I'm no handwriting expert, so this is simply MOO.

I find it interesting that the lower two notes make specific references to their "long ago" love. When I read those, it makes me wonder if SM was trying to recapture something that wasn't there any longer? That was my impression as I read them - sort of a "I remember when you loved me, cared for me, were there for me...... do you remember BM?"

The top note is very different as it's more of a present tense. Also, if you look closely at the handwriting, there are some significant differences. The top note has exaggerated loops on the y's and g's (more so than the lower). The lower notes have very distinctive lower-case t's that the top note doesn't have. At first I thought maybe the top note was a forgery, but looking closely at it, I don't think so..... but I do think it was written in a different emotional state than the lower two notes. It makes me wonder if the top note is actually from some time ago and the lower notes are more recent.

All JMO, and not sure it matters much as I don't think SMs historical love for BM is in question - and I'd argue that even if she was talking about divorce, could be doing that while still "in love" with BM (but no longer willing to live with xxxx about him). I wonder if BM has a shoebox full of recent love letters he's written SM?

Something tells me that's extremely unlikely.

JMO, MOO.

morphew-letter-3.jpg

morphew-letter-2.jpg

morphew-letter-1.jpg

The notes are 2 different types of paper I think, the first note has a pattern on the bottom of the sheet of paper, the 2nd one doesn't - if it was the same sheet of paper, with the words written on both sides of the sheet, the page would have a pattern on both sides, yes?

I’m going to assume that three, separate LE agencies had a huge, boatload of evidence already and footage they needed, thus they didn’t pick that up from the store.

If they had a huge boatload of evidence wouldn’t they arrest someone capable of murder before he strikes again?

I would think if LE doesn’t make an arrest, they would be trying to find every bit of evidence they can, especially in a no-body case, if they are doing a proper job. A main, if unnamed suspect, rooting around in a trash can, stating he is looking for a bike helmet, seems like it would add some thing to a case if indeed, he is arrested and goes to trial.

If they had a huge boatload of evidence wouldn’t they arrest someone capable of murder before he strikes again?

I would think if LE doesn’t make an arrest, they would be trying to find every bit of evidence they can, especially in a no-body case, if they are doing a proper job. A main, if unnamed suspect, rooting around in a trash can, stating he is looking for a bike helmet, seems like it would add some thing to a case if indeed, he is arrested and goes to trial.
Having a boatload of evidence isn’t enough to prove that the underlying crime is murder though.

Hell, they could literally have BM on tape dumping the bicycle, and that wouldn’t be enough. It would merely prove that he tampered with evidence, which is nothing compared to their goal.

Homicide charges.

Likewise, they could have BM trapped in a number of lies, all of which show that he is behind this.

But it’s still a matter of proving what “this” is.

This was likely a targeted and personal crime committed by a man with no criminal history. I don’t think there’s any need to rush things here, as he doesn’t pose the type of danger that other killers pose.

Those early days would have involved obtaining warrants, gathering footage, searching, and fielding tips. Things are prioritized, and resources aren’t endless.

I’m sure that they’d love to have that video, but if that’s a make or break sort of thing, then they’re already in trouble.

By the time we do hear about the evidence here, I think that event will wind up way down the list in regards to importance.

BBM:

It's hard to see a benign, innocent explanation for a friend and a nephew of an employer seeking out an employee to advise her of her rights with regard to interactions with LE.

How would GD and TN even know who MG is, much less where to track her down?

Clearly, this was done at the behest of the person with whom they all share a common acquaintance.

That entire scene as described by MG is beyond sketchy.

I'm still of the opinion that MG was paid in cash vs. check for her "time" during that weekend, including the Broomfield excursion, and that she got out of dodge because she was afraid that BM would not take kindly to her having spoken to LE after he had compensated her.

I'm wondering if cash exchanged hands when GD and TN went to see her.

If so, she's right to be afraid of BM.

JMO.

Getting paid in cash is pretty common. However, getting out of Dodge may be linked to fear that he will do something to her because she knows something else.

I can see some not so innocent explanations for advising MG to don’t give her phone to LE.
The only half innocent explanation I could come up with is if BM sold them a sob story like he feels so stupid but they were sending flirty messages to each other which was innocent but now it would look bad and he believes in that case LE would stop looking for Suzanne and he wouldn’t want that. In that case GD and TN could think they are helping BM with something innocent totally for Suzanne’s well being out of loyalty to BM and SM.
I’m not sure I believe this, but this is the only situation I can come up with where they won’t have a nefarious reason for doing this.

Or maybe she just mentioned that LE requested her phone and one of the guys gave an opinion. As simple and innocent as that.

And maybe the line about "hush money" was a poor attempt at humor. Again, as simple and innocent as that.

IMO, this interaction she had while getting paid (for the non-job) is insignificant.

So says Brother Occam.

The fact that BM was pacing and nervous about that search leads me to believe she's close by if not there. During AMs search he was also acting irate and antsy. Once everything stopped and LE gave an all clear his personality changed and he's back to spreading his adgenda and getting everyone to look another way. moo

Very perceptive PaulaDC. And this is why both SAR and LE search teams post someone to watch the behavior of a suspected actor(s) when a search operation is in progress on what they feel may become a criminal case. The actors generally telegraph their emotions, even if they are not aware of it.

‘Kind of odd’: Husband of missing woman Suzanne Morphew sounds ‘flat and monotone’ in plea for her return, says expert

Most of you have probably already read this but I just came across it and thought it was a great interpretation of BMs video plea for Suzannes' safe return.
The fact that the video exists at all, is incredibly odd.

Once again it goes to control. Barry didn’t attend the press conference, or immediately make a plea through the media.

He thought that a huge reward would be enough to avoid criticism.

Instead of a press conference, he released a bizarre 26 second video, the likes of which I have never seen before.

I believe he knew he couldn’t answer questions, and he wanted to avoid that at all costs. People were wondering why the hell this man remained silent, and he felt compelled to do something.

This was beyond idiotic.

He thought that a huge reward would be enough to avoid criticism.

Respectfully snipped by me.

It's easy for an actor to offer a reward with a caveat (as in not just a tip, you have to produce the person or remains to get the reward) if you know that the body is well hidden and the chance of discovery is remote, or so the actor thinks until a ton of searchers show up. Nervous indeed.

The notes are 2 different types of paper I think, the first note has a pattern on the bottom of the sheet of paper, the 2nd one doesn't - if it was the same sheet of paper, with the words written on both sides of the sheet, the page would have a pattern on both sides, yes?

Tagging on your post and others...As my hands have gotten older and less flexible, my handwriting has changed. Before I was briefly a realtor, I had a rather lovely signature, many contracts and associated paper work later, my signature is almost as illegible as my husbands.
I / we have many “love letters” between us. it’s quite possible our children have read them, omg, I have thought about at least censoring some of them, any suggestions?

I am quite sure I am not ready to have my grandchildren read them.

So, it’s possible, many of SM and BMs communications were for their eyes only. Some of ours absolutely! perhaps I could just tear some portions out, too, some of ours are quite lovely, sigh.

My husband and I actually spent lots of tdys, Gulf war, etc. apart, so I doubt the Ms have the volume of letters, we do. whenever there are other eyes around, we tended to keep things a bit more viewable, cards, etc.

I am concerned about the fact BM feels the need to show us these private items. However, if five months of skepticism of his marriage and love of Suzanne has brought him to this point, I just can’t imagine being in his shoes... I’ve been praying for Suzanne from the beginning, lately, I’ve focused more on BM.
Just my pondering for today. I could use true crime or fictional characters, or I can use personal experiences and those of friends, we’ve had 50 threads to destroy this man, w/ minimal evidence.
I’m pretty sure if I were in his shoes, if someone tried to talk me into releasing a few of our letters, I might try anything.
Because, when we bash BM, we actually diminish SM, that’s a problem for me.
I choose to view them as evidence of her goodness.

Many hotels in the West, including some in Colorado, have signs asking patrons to leave towels on the floor if they wish to have fresh towels.

Nearly all hotels and motels in California have the same request. Also, Vegas, many places in Arizona and in New Mexico. Oh, and Utah.

I've even seen them in Portland.

Water is a big issue out here. It's normal to leave the towels on the floor if you're trying to signal the maid that you want more. Hang them up if you intend to reuse, to save water. And we thank you very much if you can reuse a towel out here, as we have frequent issues with water and there are often tiered taxes on water as usage increases.

Tagging on your post and others...As my hands have gotten older and less flexible, my handwriting has changed. Before I was briefly a realtor, I had a rather lovely signature, many contracts and associated paper work later, my signature is almost as illegible as my husbands.
I / we have many “love letters” between us. it’s quite possible our children have read them, omg, I have thought about at least censoring some of them, any suggestions?

I am quite sure I am not ready to have my grandchildren read them.

So, it’s possible, many of SM and BMs communications were for their eyes only. Some of ours absolutely! perhaps I could just tear some portions out, too, some of ours are quite lovely, sigh.

My husband and I actually spent lots of tdys, Gulf war, etc. apart, so I doubt the Ms have the volume of letters, we do. whenever there are other eyes around, we tended to keep things a bit more viewable, cards, etc.

I am concerned about the fact BM feels the need to show us these private items. However, if five months of skepticism of his marriage and love of Suzanne has brought him to this point, I just can’t imagine being in his shoes... I’ve been praying for Suzanne from the beginning, lately, I’ve focused more on BM.
Just my pondering for today. I could use true crime or fictional characters, or I can use personal experiences and those of friends, we’ve had 50 threads to destroy this man, w/ minimal evidence.
I’m pretty sure if I were in his shoes, if someone tried to talk me into releasing a few of our letters, I might try anything.
Because, when we bash BM, we actually diminish SM, that’s a problem for me.
I choose to view them as evidence of her goodness.
When we bash BM, it in no way “diminishes SM.” She is the victim, and she got the rawest of deals.

That search was for her. That vigil was for her. Ultimately, justice will be for her.

I refuse to make excuses for a man who can’t be assed to do anything to find his wife. A man who clearly doesn’t give a damn.

A man who rips anyone who dare speak out about what they saw, and what they know.

A man with a BS alibi, who would have us believe that a low risk victim was attacked in a low crime area, and law enforcement somehow is operating with “tunnel vision,” instead of following the evidence.

Those searches of the home mean something. The search of his job site mean something. Suzanne’s life meant something.

Except to her killer.

They’re coming for him.

When we bash BM, it in no way “diminishes SM.” She is the victim, and she got the rawest of deals.

That search was for her. That vigil was for her. Ultimately, justice will be for her.

I refuse to make excuses for a man who can’t be assed to do anything to find his wife. A man who clearly doesn’t give a damn.

A man who rips anyone who dare speak out about what they saw, and what they know.

A man with a BS alibi, who would have us believe that a low risk victim was attacked in a low crime area, and law enforcement somehow is operating with “tunnel vision,” instead of following the evidence.

Those searches of the home mean something. The search of his job site mean something. Suzanne’s life meant something.

Except to her killer.

They’re coming for him.

tenor.gif

Oh, man.

Pains me to do this. But I gotta' admit:

Every once in a great while, you manage to outdo yourself.

Every once in an even greater while, you manage to outdo me.

Count this as one of those times.

Beautiful post.

47.gif

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors