Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put money on either Peterson nor BM NOT ever having physically abused their wives.
Most women are too embarrassed to admit it.
JMO
We have absolutely no idea if there was any form of dv in the marriage, nobody would necessarily know but BM and SM and she's not here to tell us.
On another note I might have missed it but was the Sunday job pre-planned well in advance I got the impression that it was all set up at the last minute.
I know the wall had been damaged a year before and BM had planned to fix it taking just MG, but had that always been a plan for that particular Sunday.
If not why the sudden rush and why so early he had already had a year to fix it.
Why did he suddenly decide he needed more crew was it because he knew SM was missing and he thought his being on a job with just MG might look shady to LE when she was reported missing.

We have absolutely no idea if there was any form of dv in the marriage, nobody would necessarily know but BM and SM and she's not here to tell us.
On another note I might have missed it but was the Sunday job pre-planned well in advance I got the impression that it was all set up at the last minute.
I know the wall had been damaged a year before and BM had planned to fix it taking just MG, but had that always been a plan for that particular Sunday.
If not why the sudden rush and why so early he had already had a year to fix it.
Why did he suddenly decide he needed more crew was it because he knew SM was missing and he thought his being on a job with just MG might look shady to LE when she was reported missing.
Yes. BM generated a lot of drama around tbe job.

Prop. Stigmatized by Murder? Seller or R/E Agent Disclosure? Quotes from posts in last thread.
{{{ @happyday post 885, thread 44
“... my real estate license … learned in RE school that an agent MUST disclose any material fact about a property except pertaining to protected classes. A property with negative press=stigmatized =lower property value. So a buyer has to be made aware. Murder, child molestation, drug house all must be disclosed.... agents rarely win ... so it’s in best interest to disclose everything. Imagine if you bought … then found out after you closed. You could sue and win.”} }} bbm sbm
{{{ @Murphy1950 Post 889, thread 44
What is a Stigmatized Property? | Laws for all 50 States Disclosure appears to only be required in 3 states... a seller or real estate agent cannot lie when asked about stigmatizing facts or else they would be liable for fraud… }}} sbm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:)Interesting posts from both of you.:) TYVM.
@happydays. Agreeing that best practice for agents is to disclose.
Are you comfortable sharing w us whether your r/e license is in CO? Also are there course materials you could share, perhaps a link or a screen shot or scan of a page? Per July 2019 linked below, some states specifically do not require disclosure re stigma, so maybe you are not in one of those states?

Quoting from article linked in @Murphy1950 post above, re CO.
“Facts pertaining to events which could “psychologically impact or stigmatize” a property are not subject to disclosure in Colorado. This includes murder, suicide, and any other felony which may have taken place.”
^ discusses variations of 'stigma' like murder, felony, paranormal activity, drug houses, HIV/AIDS, etc.

Quote from CO. statute:
(b) That the property was the site of a homicide or other felony or of a suicide.
“(2) No cause of action shall arise against a real estate broker or salesperson for failing to disclose such circumstance occurring on the property which might psychologically impact or stigmatize such property…”
Reference: Statute 38-35.5-101. 2016.

No 'stigma-disclosure' required for CO r/e agents seems quite straightforward, but may not be. I could be wrong or not thinking it through. jm2cts.
I’m a CO real estate broker. In our licensing class it was pounded into us if our Seller asks we not disclose a stigma, we have an obligation to not disclose. We could lose our license if we do.

If it were me, I would strongly recommend to my Seller that we disclose the stigma. The Buyer is going to find out and I’d rather have them know before we go under contract. If they are going to balk better they do it now. Otherwise you run the risk the buyer will back out after you’ve taken the home off the market. In CO the Buyer has multiple opportunities to cancel the contract and still get their earnest money back. (For example, Buyer can say they are terminating the contract based on an inspection, with no obligation to specify what was found in inspection that’s causing them to terminate).

In this case, MLS Broker notes indicate the listing agent must be present at all Buyer showings. It’s possible the agent will disclose the stigma at that time. I completely understand why they wouldn’t want to mention it in the public listing information. And they may think even putting it MLS broker notes would increase looky-loo showings.

Last edited:
Good morning Websluth Family,
Tomorrow marks 5 months! Suzanne is out there somewhere.... I honestly think we can find her. I hope you all have a good day and I hope we find some new things today.

Theory, MOO, of how Saturday/Sunday may have gone down. It is a far fetched theory but I put it together trying to use the info we have as of now.

Presuppositions:

1. MG has a crush on BM which he has been nurturing because it strokes his ego. She will do almost anything for him.
  2. SM is upset at BM. It is MD weekend, her daughters are away, and BM has worked Friday night, Saturday, and will be working on Sunday.

Saturday morning BM picks up MG for work at the Salida site. He’s left SM home, angry at him.

He gets a hold of JP and asks if he can work on Sunday.

To get SM off his back BM decides to go home and play nice with her for a couple of hours. Meanwhile, she is at home texting her bff about the upcoming wedding and telling her how ticked off she is at BM.

BM goes home, tries to placate her, takes her to lunch in town. When they get home BM figures he deserves a little hanky panky for his trouble. Instead, SM get right back on the phone/FB with her bestie. He is enraged, maybe slaps the phone out of her hand, she pushes back. He gives her a shove and she falls hitting her head against the stone fireplace.

He is now in panic cover up mode.

He begins cleaning up.

Maybe he drags the body out to the garage (or to the spot where the antlers with the skin attached were later observed leaning against the house). He may have put the body in a cooler or coolers using some of his tools to dismember her.

He realizes SM was in the middle of a convo when he slapped the phone out of her hands. Her phone is broken. He impersonates SM on her FB using his phone and tries to close out the conversation. It sounds strange to SM’s bff. He also sends out some friend requests so it will seem like SM is still alive and well.

He needs to get rid of the body.

Maybe he does something using his bobcat.

He then brings the bobcat to the Salida site around 11:30 pm and swaps out his bucket or other attachment with the one in Salida so if LE checks his, there will be no evidence on it.

He goes home to Puma Path to finish cleaning up.

He needs to be out of town the following day when SM is reported missing. He stays up most of the night planning out his strategy. He decides to use MG as an integral part of his alibi. He drives to her house at 4:00 am but then thinks better of it and texts her instead to arrange for the work crew in Broomfield.

He then drives to Broomfield himself possibly discarding evidence along the way.

He is supposed to bring the bobcat with him to complete the job but can’t because of the swapped attachment.

He checks into the HIE, cleans his tools, and collapses for a few hours on the bed.

Later in the day he puts the bike story in motion.

He leaves Broomfield before the work crew shows up.

JUST A THEORY. MOO

RBBM. I agree up to the point of the fireplace. She could have been anywhere in the house when he allegedly attacked her. JMOO

BBM

I just looked and the article you linked to is dated May 20, 2020. There is no photo of BM *at the search*, assuming you are talking about the search organized by A.M. and held at the end of September.

There are 3 older photos of BM, from May, standing by one of his vehicles, with a blue colored bike behind him on a rack on one vehicle, which has been shown and discussed in depth on WS in prior months because of the blue bike.

A.M. is on record in more than 1 interview that his B.I.L. never participated in the large search that was held for SM.

IMO

Good morning Websluth Family,
Tomorrow marks 5 months! Suzanne is out there somewhere.... I honestly think we can find her. I hope you all have a good day and I hope we find some new things today.
I also believe that it's 5 months since she was killed...
JMO

I am a little stuck on JP and that weekend. JP said he spoke to Barry on Saturday about the Broomfield job. MG said she was asked on Sunday to assemble a crew. Did MG choose JP, or did Barry let her know that he had spoken to JP and he would be part of the job? I think there’s a lot of conversation in there that we are unaware of, and may be a puzzle piece that LE is not divulging.

I'm glad you brought this up. It was a big beef I had with the NG podcast this week on SM. The info about JP talking to BM on Saturday about the job came from LS interviewing him weeks back. But on the NG podcast, not one of the guests, most of all LS, brought it up.

IMO, the impression was given that BM got the ball rolling on this project around 4am on Sunday morning. I kept waiting for one of them to mention the JP interview. Maybe it was edited out. I still find that episode disappointing with every guest that spoke and they were still talking about the dumb mountain lion theory. It's overplayed now. Yes, BM talked about it, more than once and it was absurd BUT that is not the only theory he put out there. It's talked about more with certain on-line hosts than BM himself. Even NG was confused by what the guests were reporting on that episode.

Off my soap box and all my opinion.

bbm

He gets a hold of JP and asks if he can work on Sunday.
^^^^
That's the only sentence, I'm stumbling over. If the work in Broomfield was only for alibi, then BM knew, he had to ask JP, otherwise he hadn't to search for a (meth-head) worker. If BM knew, he would need an alibi, it can't be an accident, what occured. - Do I have explained right?
That is my stumbling block, too, @FromGerman. I left it in because this is what JP told us. My thoughts as to possible scenarios:
- BM bumped into JP in town sometime on Saturday afternoon. He asked JP to work on Sunday to appease SM.
Problem: MG said she said she didn’t know about the job until 4:00 am on Sunday although she did say her and BM had previously twice cancelled it.
-SM was already deceased when BM met with JP in Salida on Saturday. He was forming his alibi.
-JP misremembered. However, he also said BM called him Sunday morning to confirm the job.
-SM’s death was premeditated.

Other possibility: I got it all wrong. :)

MOO the photos are of BM leaving the house as the police serve a search warrant.

BM could not have been at the house, having turned it over to LE upon his arrival on May 10th. I believe some sources stated that he arrived the search to deliver his truck, trailer and Bobcat; and left with his friend in another pickup truck (after performing that nifty mid-air shoe tie for the cameras, of course). My guess would be that the reason he was there at all was to comply with the search warrant, as you say.
I certainly agree that he probably left the search as soon as he complied with LE instructions to remove the Bobcat from the trailer, and unhook trailer from the truck (so it could be taken to a Ford dealer for complete download of the GPS data). My question is, then.....did LE tell him to offload the Bobcat not realizing that the machine also had internal GPS, or did LE plan on taking the machine to the dealer by other means than BM's trailer to avoid liability issues?
Further, is it possible that LE took until the very last day of the allowable search time before returning the house because either the truck or the Bobcat was still at the dealer?
No answers here, only questions.
IMO

BBM

I just looked and the article you linked to is dated May 20, 2020. There is no photo of BM *at the search*, assuming you are talking about the search organized by A.M. and held at the end of September.

There are 3 older photos of BM, from May, standing by one of his vehicles, with a blue colored bike behind him on a rack on one vehicle, which has been shown and discussed in depth on WS in prior months because of the blue bike.

A.M. is on record in more than 1 interview that his B.I.L. never participated in the large search that was held for SM.

IMO

The first search of the house, in May. IMO

Yes, drama. Excessive drama is a tool to force others to conceed that a lie is infact truth. It becomes simply too exhausting to refute the lie. A life pattern for some. It works satisfactorily for the small lies. But this is a big one.
Moo if course.

It has historical precedent as used by some truly evil individuals, and why it always stands out to me as being a red flag.
"A lie told often enough becomes truth"
"Big Lie - The use of a lie so colossal that no one would believe that someone could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously"

I just looked at those photos of BM behind his truck again and is that a cut on BM’s left index finger by his knuckle? Might just be the photo but it sure looks like a cut in that one picture.

That would be a tough one Lilypad, construction people cut their hands, legs etc. on a regular basis. Growing up on a farm, my brother and I looked like battle casualties.

I’m starting to think that the variation in MG’s “testimony” is because she has come clean with LE and is cooperating in order to reduce charges against her. I think she was more involved than we’ve been lead to believe. She’s the only one of this cast of characters that has up and moved out of the state. She’s also one person that was with BM Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. As far as I know, SM is the only other person that can say that (and Sunday is questionable for her).

One thing that might be telling is the phone history between BM and MG and between BM and his other employees. Did BM talk more to one employee than others on a consistent basis? Were the conversations longer with MG or another employee than other conversations he had (even those he had with Suzanne)? Did BM talk to any certain employee more on Mother's Day weekend than usual? MG seemed to have an unusual familiarity with BM to me for a boss/employee relationship.

AM does have an older brother. Also, the DW has learned that at least one of her male friends (closer in age to BM than AM or his brother) also received a friend request from SM (as opposed to the PYMK or friend suggestions her female friends received). Not sure what all to make of the friend requests.... MOO, JMO

Re BBM
Got to wondering about the strange phone messages to others from SM's phone.

It seems to me that he may have been stumbling and spying through her phone and doing things on it that he thought would help to make it look like SM was still present and on her phone.

From the outside looking in, we have seen where others alluded to him being the one in "control". I have to wonder just how much that control went in the years before she came up missing.

Like maybe he already had total control of her phone or at least to be able to look at all her activity on her phone the whole time? Sort of like the parent control settings or Apps that are available. If he paid for all the phones on a family plan then I think there are settings and things where a parent can view activity on the phones they elect. Parent control settings and various Apps, and things like that.

If so then he could control any incoming or outgoing messages to her family and he could stop their attempts to get ahold of her and visa-versa. If he had that type of control then over time, she may have really felt that she was all on her own with no family support.

In turn, he may have also controlled the kid's phones where they could also get a false sense that none of the family in Indiana care about them anymore. He could get them thinking that nobody cares but him. This could explain why we have not heard about any communication with the children and her side of the family.

The basis for these thoughts is we have heard from others how he was the one in control and also the words he just said recently about how he was the only one there for her when she got cancer. He may have had so much control of their phones that he gave the false illusion he was the only one that cared.

In any event, those extra friend requests and strange phone activity from her phone will end up being very important. I hope LE is identifying exactly how and under what circumstances those messages were sent. That should give LE some extra evidence that will be important.
All JMO

I’m a CO real estate broker. In our licensing class it was pounded into us if our Seller asks we not disclose a stigma, we have an obligation to not disclose. We could lose our license if we do.

If it were me, I would strongly recommend to my Seller that we disclose the stigma. The Buyer is going to find out and I’d rather have them know before we go under contract. If they are going to balk better they do it now. Otherwise you run the risk the buyer will back out after you’ve taken the home off the market. In CO the Buyer has multiple opportunities to cancel the contract and still get their earnest money back. (For example, Buyer can say they are terminating the contract based on an inspection, with no obligation to specify what was found in inspection that’s causing them to terminate).

In this case, MLS Broker notes indicate the listing agent must be present at all Buyer showings. It’s possible the agent will disclose the stigma at that time. I completely understand why they wouldn’t want to mention it in the public listing information. And they may think even putting it MLS broker notes would increase looky-loo showings.

Thanks for your knowledge about this. I have a flip side question to that.

As a selling agent, if a potential buyer flat out asks the selling agent if there is anything bad or stigmatized about the house that they should know about.....then would the selling agent be required to let the buyer know even if the seller told the selling agent that they did not want to volunteer that information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44