CONVICTION OVERTURNED GA - Ross Harris Trial Appeal, hot car death of son, Cooper

Just making the rounds. It's astounding, four years after the trial ended, how much misinformation is still out there. In the last few weeks alone I've heard:
Harris laid Cooper down and NEVER TRIED A DAMN THING TO HELP HIM.
He never went back to Coopers side, he never even tried.
Ross had joined a Reddit thread regarding hot car deaths.
Both Ross and Leanna researched hot car deaths.
Part of the car seat stuck out in between the two front seats.
Ross backed into his parking space that morning.

I believe that, regardless of our take on guilt or innocence, we should all be proponents of the facts, that's all.
Yes, there is still a lot of misinformation out there, but the facts presented at trial are why RH got LWOP.

IIRC, they included:
RH watched a video made by a vet about the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars a few days before he left Cooper in one.
Numerous texts complaining about how miserable he was in his marriage and how Cooper was a financial burden to him.
He accessed a divorce checklist at work.
He was familiar with the Look Again Campaign and how another father had become an advocate.
Had received an email from his wife about a local hot car death.
Lying about that lunchtime car visit and claiming how it was "up in the air" who took Cooper to daycare when he was THE parent who took him.

IMO, RH knew that a break in routine is typical when parents forgot their children in hot cars which is why he lied. He even made sure to tell his wife how he told LE it was up in the air who took Cooper.

I think he only thought they would talk to his wife and not investigate any further. He didn't even think LE would talk to his co-workers or look at the parking lot video and find out about the lunchtime car visit.

He argued with LE about how only people who left their children on purpose should be charged and was shocked that they would detain him when it had been an "accident".

My mind is no longer fresh on this case but I also recall an interview with jurors who stated how RH knew the ways to prevent hot car deaths but took none of those steps for his own child.

It sounds like it took a while to find a lawyer to help with the appeal.
Ross's appellate attorney, Mitch Durham, took on his case immediately after his conviction. It was a long trial, though, as you said, with a lot of information to digest, even with Kilgore's assistance. Durham may have also wanted to wait for emotions to simmer down, because they played such an enormous part both before and during the trial. And, as I mentioned in another post, there's been a couple hundred more hot car deaths since 2014, so the public is much more aware and accepting of the memory malfunction that causes these tragedies.

And when I go to lunch- I don't take any of my precious little time looking in another car.
You may not, but some people do look into cars. Are you familiar with the Miles Harrison case? 2008, Virginia. Miles thought he'd dropped his son, Chase, off at day care that morning. He hadn't. He was in his office at 5 PM when a co-worker stuck his head in the door & said, "Hey, do you have a doll in your car?" Another tragedy.

Do I have this right, because this is how I've always thought of this case.

- He was aware of the issue of children being left in cars.
- He turned in the direction of work, not the daycare, after leaving Chick Filet.
- He spent the morning at work not working but instead engaging in chats including sending photos of himself to an underage girl.
- But he didn't work through lunch. He bought lightbulbs during lunch.
- He threw the lightbulbs into the car.
In my opinion, he needed a reason to check on the car.
But yes the visit to the car was brief. But enough to hear silence inside when he opened the door.
- The jury was particularly interested in the video that showed him when someone passed by his car.
This tells me they were aware of accidental cases of leaving a child in a car, and they wanted to make sure this wasn't such a case.
ETA: I read a little and the video is not conclusive. He stopped but may have been looking at his phone, not his vehicle.
- His attitude afterwards toward LE is NOT a red flag to me. Some people react to emergencies, tragedies, and grief with anger and/ or shock.
- But he made a statement to law enforcement about it not being malicious intent. In my opinion, that tells us something. Slip of the tongue, he admitted non-malicious intent.

I think in his mind it was going to be over quickly. He didn't actually want his son to suffer but he did want to be "free."

- He had made a statement online to a female that they both deserved to be free.

If I am remembering incorrectly, please do correct me. I don't want to post incorrect information.

But if he gets a new trial, I think they will indeed try the case again.

All my opinions. Edited for correction and clarity.

Last edited:
And just as aside, I've noticed that Cooper's mother Leanna had said in multiple interviews that she plans to "spread the word" about hot cars in hopes of helping to prevent other deaths yet as of today has done zero towards that goal.

Leanna has actually spoken out many times to raise awareness of hot car deaths and that it can happen to the best of parents. If she wasn't as vocal as some would like, it may due to Boring's response to the press after Ross's conviction when they asked "Is Leanna still a suspect?" He responded, "That's up to the CCPD." (I'm paraphrasing because I can't find the exact quote).

It could also be due to the 2015 pretrial hearing when Stoddard testified that Leanna conspired with Ross to murder their only child so he could continue cheating on her and going out with friends.
Kilgore: You’re saying that it’s motive because he wanted to meet with his friends?
Stoddard: Yes sir.
Kilgore: But at the same time saying maybe she was involved?
Stoddard: Why not? Would it be more likely he’d talk to his wife and get her thinking a certain way before he did the crime?

Stoddard's logic is beyond preposterous, but I can imagine how much this must have scared her, knowing the illogical lengths the State would go to convince jurors that it was murder instead of an accident.

Leanna is in Susan Cooper's documentary "Fatal Distraction". If you haven't seen it, it's worth considering with an open mind.

Leanna has actually spoken out many times to raise awareness of hot car deaths and that it can happen to the best of parents. If she wasn't as vocal as some would like, it may due to Boring's response to the press after Ross's conviction when they asked "Is Leanna still a suspect?" He responded, "That's up to the CCPD." (I'm paraphrasing because I can't find the exact quote).

It could also be due to the 2015 pretrial hearing when Stoddard testified that Leanna conspired with Ross to murder their only child so he could continue cheating on her and going out with friends.
Kilgore: You’re saying that it’s motive because he wanted to meet with his friends?
Stoddard: Why not? Would it be more likely he’d talk to his wife and get her thinking a certain way before he did the crime?

Stoddard's logic is beyond preposterous, but I can imagine how much this must have scared her, knowing the illogical lengths the State would go to convince jurors that it was murder instead of an accident.

Leanna is in Susan Cooper's documentary "Fatal Distraction". If you haven't seen it, it's worth considering with an open mind.

A link to support any of your statements in this post.

About his phone, I think he thought that his story would be taken at face value and they would never have searched his devices.
Highly unlikely, imo. Ross's brother was (and still is) a police officer and Ross himself worked in the police department for three years. In addition, since at least February 2013, Ross had done web development work for a company that specializes in forensic services, jury selection, etc. Hard to believe he wouldn't know that cops check out your computer & phone during an investigation.

A link to support any of your statements in this post.
Marker 46:24

As far as Leanna doing "zero toward her goal [of helping to prevent hot car deaths]," that's simply not true. I would refer you to her facebook page, where she has posted many messages about these tragedies and how to prevent them, including supporting the Hot Cars Act. I also know for a fact that she works with Kids & Cars, because I'm also a volunteer for that organization.

Highly unlikely, imo. Ross's brother was (and still is) a police officer and Ross himself worked in the police department for three years. In addition, since at least February 2013, Ross had done web development work for a company that specializes in forensic services, jury selection, etc. Hard to believe he wouldn't know that cops check out your computer & phone during an investigation.
IMO he clearly didn't believe they would do an investigation. He thought they would just ask him a few questions and maybe followup with his wife. He didn't think they would check out his story or he wouldn't have omitted that lunchtime car visit, lied about it being up in the air who took Cooper, etc.

He thought they would treat it as an unfortunate accident, not a possible crime.

Marker 46:24

As far as Leanna doing "zero toward her goal [of helping to prevent hot car deaths]," that's simply not true. I would refer you to her facebook page, where she has posted many messages about these tragedies and how to prevent them, including supporting the Hot Cars Act. I also know for a fact that she works with Kids & Cars, because I'm also a volunteer for that organization.
Could you provide some links for Leanna's volunteer work? I've searched high and low and cannot find any evidence of speaking engagements, participation in letter-writing campaigns or any other activity indicating her advocacy for preventing hot car deaths. Nothing found upon Googling her or Cooper nor can I find anything about her on KidsandCars. If she's out there speaking then the media isn't reporting on it. Not much has been reported on her since 2016.

Although I don't believe Leanna was involved in Cooper's murder I intensely dislike her as she presents as selfish and lacking insight. She begged the public to pay for a headstone for Cooper's grave after doing nothing on her own for over a year nearly 3 years. Instead she got contact lenses and a nifty tattoo.

Her victim impact statement was all about her; in fact she regarded herself and actually filled in her own name, not Cooper's, as the victim. Why? Because "The rush to judgment by the public and the mainstream media has left me with little confidence in our legal system and our society." Another parent concerned about bad publicity.

To be clear IMO Leanna has no blame in her husband's horrific actions, including his *advertiser censored* addiction and affairs and sexting underage girls. That's all on him; Ross chose to stay in an unhappy marriage and used it to justify being a crappy husband to Leanna instead of filing for divorce. All MOO.

Last edited:
IMO he clearly didn't believe they would do an investigation. He thought they would just ask him a few questions and maybe followup with his wife. He didn't think they would check out his story or he wouldn't have omitted that lunchtime car visit, lied about it being up in the air who took Cooper, etc.

He thought they would treat it as an unfortunate accident, not a possible crime.

So you think they were just going to say, "Sorry for your loss" and let him go home?

Georgia's governor began airing this public service announcement about a month before Cooper died. In it, Commissioner Bobby Cagle states, “We’re going to be working with prosecutors in the state of Georgia to ensure we have attorneys that are prosecuting these crimes.” Ross and Leanna had seen this PSA.

Could you provide some links for Leanna's volunteer work? I've searched high and low and cannot find any evidence of speaking engagements, participation in letter-writing campaigns or any other activity indicating her advocacy for preventing hot car deaths. Nothing found upon Googling her or Cooper nor can I find anything about her on KidsandCars. If she's out there speaking then the media isn't reporting on it. Not much has been reported on her since 2016.

Although I don't believe Leanna was involved in Cooper's murder I intensely dislike her as she presents as selfish and lacking insight. She begged the public to pay for a headstone for Cooper's grave after doing nothing on her own for over a year nearly 3 years. Instead she got contact lenses and a nifty tattoo.

Her victim impact statement was all about her; in fact she regarded herself and actually filled in her own name, not Cooper's, as the victim. Why? Because "The rush to judgment by the public and the mainstream media has left me with little confidence in our legal system and our society." Another parent concerned about bad publicity.

To be clear IMO Leanna has no blame in her husband's horrific actions, including his *advertiser censored* addiction and affairs and sexting underage girls. That's all on him; Ross chose to stay in an unhappy marriage and used it to justify being a crappy husband to Leanna instead of filing for divorce. All MOO.

Leanna explained why she got the tattoo of Cooper's footprint on her own foot in Fatal Distraction, but I don't think anyone here watched it. I know nothing about the headstone, but there's no doubt she had hit rock bottom financially. She lost her job because of all the vicious media attention. Then she was forced to hire a lawyer, because Stoddard was bound and determined to make her a suspect in her son's death. It wouldn't surprise me if she's still paying off that debt.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Leanna explained why she got the tattoo of Cooper's footprint on her own foot in Fatal Distraction, but I don't think anyone here watched it. I know nothing about the headstone, but there's no doubt she had hit rock bottom financially. She lost her job because of all the vicious media attention. Then she was forced to hire a lawyer, because Stoddard was bound and determined to make her a suspect in her son's death. It wouldn't surprise me if she's still paying off that debt.

I don't know Leanna, although I've processed a few Alabama cases she has referred to Kids and Cars. If you'd like to know more about her efforts, you can contact Amber Rollins. Btw, you won't find my name on Kids and Cars, either, but please don't hesitate to confirm my volunteer work with Amber if it will put your mind to rest. Some people just prefer to work behind the scenes. You know...like the ending credits on a movie that nobody sticks around to read.

Amber Rollins
Director
Office: (913) 732-2792 / Cell: (913) 205-6973
Amber@kidsandcars.org
I did watch the interview of Leanna talking about the tattoos. My point was that she let Cooper's grave go unmarked until people donated money to buy him a headstone - three years later. Both she and her attorney asked for money for the headstone. I don't believe she couldn't afford to do so over three years time; that's saving about $500 a year to buy a headstone and in fact the one she ultimately picked out was a very nice one for about $1800. An equally nice one runs between $700 and $1000.

Also, she didn't say she was going to join Kids and Cars, she said she was going to "get the word out" about the dangers of distraction. I took that to mean she would speak to the public about Cooper's death, like Lyn Balfour and other parents have.

Look, I do understand she lost her son and it must have been a horrible and traumatic time for her. But she did agree to interviews and she did make posts where she spoke of her plans to educate the public that anyone can forget their child in a car yet I haven't seen anything released to the public. She could have chosen to bow out of the spotlight but instead she chose to announce plans to be an advocate.

My point is that she didn't follow through on any of the above. And FWIW, I do appreciate that you dedicate time to Kids and Cars.

Personally I'm pissed at auto makers that after all these years there aren't safety features in place in cars. I have a 2020 Subaru that chimes when I shut off the motor if I put something in the back seat but IMO there should be more. It's a smart car and IMO it's a no-brainer for it to alert me via texts and email in the same way it does for other functions yet it doesn't.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back