CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cursory search shows that the last mainstream media story (other than a notice of tonight’s vigil in Pleasanton, CA) was published nearly a week ago.
Syd West joined the Facebook group Pleasanton Rants and Raves 8 months ago. I am not sure of the exact date, but it gives me some hope that she might have contacted some of her prior high school friends in recent months.

I would really love to know who last saw her or had contact with her & what the nature of the communication was. Had she been distraught? Acting bizarrely? Her normal self? I assume LE has this information and is guarding it closely for a reason, but what is the reason?

In all likelihood, to protect SW's privacy.

It's not at all uncommon to see a dearth of information in cases where LE has strong indications pointing to self-harm. In fact, it's pretty much the norm.

The other cases where we tend to get a lot of radio silence from LE are cases where they really don't need the public's help, i.e., they already have evidence in hand telling them what's happened and who's responsible.

JMO.

Last edited:
A cursory search shows that the last mainstream media story (other than a notice of tonight’s vigil in Pleasanton, CA) was published nearly a week ago.
In all likelihood, to protect SW's privacy.

It's not at all uncommon to see a dearth of information in cases where LE has strong indications pointing to self-harm, in fact, it's pretty much the norm.

The other cases where we tend to get a lot of radio silence from LE are cases where they really don't need the public's help, i.e., they already have evidence in hand telling them what's happened and who's responsible.

JMO.

You make a great point. Which makes me wonder... If she had left a suicide note, but her body was not yet found, would they still treat it as a missing person’s case? I assume so - just trying to explore all angles.

Okay, but I don't understand what do you mean by this post? I believe this has already been discussed early on in the case.
If she shared with friends what she would have rather done in the gap year she wanted to "do over," it might give investigators clues to where she went if she left voluntarily. From her posts, she did not particularly like NC so that the idea that she may have gone back there to me does not seem probable. As a UC student, she would have access to systems that show companies currently looking for interns that college students can pursue. Also note the medium post regarding Gap Year Blues was entitled Part 1. Is there a Part 2 anywhere that might provide other clues to her whereabouts? I hope there is.

If she had left a suicide note, but her body was not yet found, would they still treat it as a missing person’s case? I assume so - just trying to explore all angles.

The State Office of the Attorney General still has Allison Bayliss Allison Bayliss listed as a Missing Person. I read when this happened that a suicide note had been found on her home computer and video showed her jumping off the GG, but as far as I know, I don't know if her body was ever recovered. The state still lists her as a Missing Person though.

Would it have been (or would it be) helpful to post a reward for information leading to Syd’s safe return? That seems to be a fairly common strategy in missing persons cases.

The State Office of the Attorney General still has Allison Bayliss Allison Bayliss listed as a Missing Person. I read when this happened that a suicide note had been found on her home computer and video showed her jumping off the GG, but as far as I know, I don't know if her body was ever recovered. The state still lists her as a Missing Person though.
This is pure speculation, but a poster here noted that her dad has stated that he believes Syd is making her way back to NC (I’m paraphrasing) - which makes me wonder if a note was left that indicated something less drastic than self-harm. That would be consistent with the family’s approach of lighting candles and showing love and support for her. It would also explain her roommates’ silence (if they’re not talking at all, they might have been asked not to by LE because they have relevant information that is best kept private).

Last edited:
Can someone post a link to the vigil please

It is in a rundown neighborhood. On June 15th, a 19 year old Cal student named Seth Smith was murdered walking at night just outside of campus.

The campus is not in a bad neighborhood, just a pretty standard one for the Bay Area. It is huge and surrounded by working class homes, multimillion dollar mansions, businesses, and wild land areas. Overall, it’s not an unsafe area. The murder you mentioned “just outside of campus” was nearly two miles away and totally unrelated to the university. For those not from the area, two miles in the SF Bay Area is A LOT in terms of neighborhood characteristics.

Last edited:
I spent some time looking at posts from her parents. Lots of expressions of love and asking Syd to “find her way home.” I really hope SW is on a self-imposed mindfulness retreat but the more practical side of me thinks self-harm. I read through all of her posts on Reddit and she seemed to put so much pressure on herself. I wish she could have had the opportunity to not feel so much of the weight of the world.

I think it has been deleted. Darn
Hold your cursor over the link title and "cached" should appear. Click on that and then at the top of the page it will take you to, there is an option for the "text only version". Click on that.

It's still there. I just read it. It appears it was taken down on August 25, before she went missing.

Now my thoughts on what I just read -
A gap year is a year that is stalled. The world is going forward for everyone but the person taking the gap year, unless you're spending it traveling the world.

Then, finally, the gap year is ending and one begins to look forward to the beginning of school - and finally moving forward with everyone else. And then a pandemic pulls the rug right out from under everyone. But for someone who has spent a year treading water, it is the worst possible scenario.

And then, when you finally get there, school is nothing like you imagined. It's isolating. It's nearly impossible to meet friends. And those classes you thought you would dread some days, now sound like heaven but you can't attend because there's a freaking pandemic.

For someone who is struggling, it's the worst nightmare. It's the nightmare I've been praying every single day both of my own children can escape.

For someone who is struggling, it's the worst nightmare. It's the nightmare I've been praying every single day both of my own children can escape.

Quote RSBM.

We, society, need to help college-aged kids take a step back and think of ways to cope with this. The pressures (academic, financial, social) of college can be crushing but don't have to be. And Covid-19 is temporary.

We need to let them know there are other paths. That it is okay to wait or attend part-time, start at community college, learn a trade, even take an extra loan and work less while in school. And figure out ways to cope with the isolation. Take antidepressants if needed.
IMO it's only a nightmare if you hate living it and feel like you don't have choices.
We can help them with both choices and coping strategies.

The video feed seemed to cut out when Mr. West started talking about possibly organizing a search. He said that a targeted search of Crissy Field was “unlikely to bear fruit” & then I lost the feed... Did anyone catch this information?
It continued in a few links

The video feed seemed to cut out when Mr. West started talking about possibly organizing a search. He said that a targeted search of Crissy Field was “unlikely to bear fruit” & then I lost the feed... Did anyone catch this information?
“Unlikely to bear fruit” makes me think they have some information that she left voluntarily (if she did, she would be unlikely to stay in Chrissy field).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname