CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family of missing teen pleads with community to help #FindSydneyWest at candlelight vigil
The Pleasanton community came together for a socially distanced candlelight vigil on Thursday evening to put out the word and help find Pleasanton native Sydney "Syd" West, who has been missing for more than three weeks.

Held at Lions Wayside Park near downtown, family members, friends and concerned citizens came out to talk about the 19-year-old former Foothill High School student and joined together in a mission to #FindSydneyWest.
Snipped due to 10% copyright rule; the article can be read on the link above

In San Francisco? Okay. But the city has emptied out so much, and the people remaining who are out and about before or near dawn are not, imo, likely to call police (if they ever even hear about this case).

I doubt that there are posters everywhere, and in that daily/nightly fog, any piece of paper posted anywhere in SF is going to lose crispness and detail quickly (if it's even still up there)

There's a guy on youtube who is skating around SF daily - and it's almost unbelievable how few cars and people are on the streets. The very few people who might have seen her near (closed) Crissy Field before dawn would have to remember her specifically, amidst all their other concerns and cares.

[bbm]

posters are usually placed in plastic sleeves now and some are even laminated

ETA: maybe not 'usually' - not actually sure how common it is

Last edited:
My first thought about "remain healthy" was due to Covid19
but that is JMO

I think it was phrased vaguely and open to interpretation deliberately for privacy reasons.

but she’s “at risk” missing due to depression....so I wonder if she was on antidepressants?

That info hasn't been released. The family is extremely private.

I think it was phrased vaguely and open to interpretation deliberately for privacy reasons.

That info hasn't been released. The family is extremely private.

I agree.. I think the paraphrased conversation was kept incredibly vague on purpose for privacy reasons.

So, I think it is open to interpretation due to the vagueness. I think it meant staying healthy due to covid times and moving forward.

My first thought about "remain healthy" was due to Covid19
but that is JMO

It must truly be extra worrying to not know where your child is or how she is doing during this pandemic. Especially with the infection rates rising like crazy every day now.

Not only the grave concerns of whether or not Syd has been a victim of foul play, or even of self harm.
There are also the concerns of, if she is still with us, "how is she supporting herself with the rising unemployment". And "who will take care of her if she grows ill". As well as "will we know if she is hospitalised".

One can only hope that Syd does have some money from tuition refund and is coping okay, and is safe.

Last edited:
Syd reach out!
I'm holding out hope and prayers for you beautiful girl!

I have recently had a "fight" with my youngest daughter who is away at college. She has made a choice I don't think is helpful to her life right now. She has taken a job where I think they are/will be overworking her and I think she should be focusing on her classes and grades more seriously at this time. My opinion came across too gruff, controlling, and mean. Now my daughter isn't speaking to me. It's only been a couple days but it is a reminder of how different personalities process relationships as individuals and how we all struggle to communicate effectively.
I can imagine Syd having a falling apart from her home-life and family in order to try to find her young adult self. It is hard to put up with overly controlling parents (not Syd's) and personalities. It is obvious that Syd is bright and a deep & spiritual thinker and also a perfectionist. She seemed to be becoming more aware of herself and maybe needed to detach from the deeper stresses.
Syd also seemed to be friendly and positive. It is my hope she could assimilate into new groups easily.
JMO

Syd reach out!
I'm holding out hope and prayers for you beautiful girl!

I have recently had a "fight" with my youngest daughter who is away at college. She has made a choice I don't think is helpful to her life right now. She has taken a job where I think they are/will be overworking her and I think she should be focusing on her classes and grades more seriously at this time. My opinion came across too gruff, controlling, and mean. Now my daughter isn't speaking to me. It's only been a couple days but it is a reminder of how different personalities process relationships as individuals and how we all struggle to communicate effectively.
I can imagine Syd having a falling apart from her home-life and family in order to try to find her young adult self. It is hard to put up with overly controlling parents (not Syd's) and personalities. It is obvious that Syd is bright and a deep & spiritual thinker and also a perfectionist. She seemed to be becoming more aware of herself and maybe needed to detach from the deeper stresses.
Syd also seemed to be friendly and positive. It is my hope she could assimilate into new groups easily.
JMO
You're going to be fine. Let your kiddo know you love her and care about her, you didn't ask for anyone's opinion and I don't want to get off-topic, but maybe let her try it out and learn from it? Sometimes we just need to try, even if it doesn't work out. I'm sure she's a great girl and she will figure it out eventually. Thanks for sharing!

Berkeley required students to self-quarantine 7-10 days after moving into the dorms. Not sure is Sydney dropped classes during the quarantine or after, but Berkeley should have records to determine if Sydney did the 2nd COVID test as was required for students after the quarantine period. Also Berkeley should know or the Zoom company should know when she last signed into her classes. Was Sydney living in the dorms through Sept. 30 or did she truly move out to live with friends in the SF area? Did any of these friends she was living with speak at the Pleasanton vigil? I could not tell because of the technical difficulties.

I did hear I think that Sydney wears glasses. Is that correct? Does anyone know if there are any photos of her in glasses that have been released to the public? I know with masks being required everywhere in California, I can barely recognize people I know even in the grocery store because only their eyes show. It would be helpful to have photos of Sydney in glasses released. Are there ones out there?

Last edited:
Berkeley required students to self-quarantine 7-10 days after moving into the dorms. Not sure is Sydney dropped classes during the quarantine or after, but Berkeley should have records to determine if Sydney did the 2nd COVID test as was required for students after the quarantine period.

<RSBM>

Unfortunately, a person can test negative for the virus ... and then turn around and catch it from the next person(s) they encounter.

I have not yet seen any indication that Syd was wearing a mask at the last time she was 'seen'.

Unfortunately, a person can test negative for the virus ... and then turn around and catch it from the next person(s) they encounter.

I have not yet seen any indication that Syd was wearing a mask at the last time she was 'seen'.
I interpreted @ElizabethAnne to mean that the covid testing records would help establish one more little bit of the timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer